Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slipped on ice train platform

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Consult a solicitor is the non After Hours idiot type answer, not folk on boards who believe the insurance industries guff about fraudulent claims vs naked profiteering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Do you work for a tech company and were in at the work nurse this morning OP? If so I was the other lad that was in with the nurse for similar. Irish rail definitely have a duty of care here. I slipped on the way from the carpark to where I work as the path wasn't sufficiently gritted. I guarantee they will have an army of gritters out if it is frosty tomorrow morning.

Irish rail should take incidents like this seriously also and make sure their platforms are ice free. I was just lucky that I was only slightly injured from stopping myself falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,780 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

"It's in their (claim) culture boss."
    Live.
    Learn.
    Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

billyhead wrote: »
    It was dark and wasn't visible. I didn't go to a doctor. I'm am hoping the pain subsides but the leg is very sore on my right side and when I fell I banged my shin off the bottom edge of the door frame so the shin is grazed and sore aswell.

Créathur

:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

:D Well played OP, you got them good. Foaming at the mouth they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Do people not fear putting in these claims, being laughed out of court and being told to pay costs for both sides?

I do think this ones a wind up but in general would you not be terrified you'd end up owing thousands

And I’d hope to fcuk no one saw me!!

What if you were out of work say for two years because you had a serious injury from slipping due to other peoples negligence? You would change your attitude fairly lively.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It’s a no, but I’m guessing this thread is a wind up, If not you need to get a grip on reality

After the first few posts I clicked on the ops name expecting to see a shiny new account. I was genuinely surprised to see that the account is 14 years old!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭893bet

physioman wrote: »
    Your broken wrist wouldn't have helped in preventing you saving yourself from falling. Are you suing the council for grease on the road as Well!

So he has a broken hand from a week ago.....hahaha

What a chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,147 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you were the person behind me getting on my train, the hand rails at the door would have worked fine (as they did for me and the person in front of me) if you weren't holding a keep cup... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What if you were out of work say for two years because you had a serious injury from slipping due to other peoples negligence? You would change your attitude fairly lively.

If I’d injured myself to that extent, you’d be sure that by now I’d have sought medical assistance, and not gone on Boards that night asking if there was any chance of a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

easypazz wrote: »
    Why should it be gritted?

Footpaths are not gritted.

Footpaths should be gritted, like they are in most countries with basic standards. A train station platform should most definitely be thoroughly de-iced as well, common sense to prevent falls like OP's plus other more potentially serious accidents like people slipping and falling on live track.

No need for all the personal abuse. I was only asking. It's easy for keyboard warriors to say they wouldn't but I am sure if you fell on train platform that should be gritted as a duty of customer care and injured yourself you would probably think the same.

No I wouldn’t !
    Last year I was leaving work in Dublin rushing for my train , I fell going round the corner of a street , actually tripped on manhole cover . I fell and got a fright and 2 sore knees and cut my hand . Did I claim from Dublin City council .... NO !

I felt it was completely my fault for not looking where I was going, felt like an eejit, got up brushed myself off and ran for the train ! I’m a woman in my fifties . Grow up and take some responsibility for yourself . It’s sickening when people put in claims for this kind of stuff.

If I’d injured myself to that extent, you’d be sure that by now I’d have sought medical assistance, and not gone on Boards that night asking if there was any chance of a claim.

Tis the way of the modern world, we are all on here spouting ****e when we have no skin in the game :)

Do you work for a tech company and were in at the work nurse this morning OP? If so I was the other lad that was in with the nurse for similar. Irish rail definitely have a duty of care here. I slipped on the way from the carpark to where I work as the path wasn't sufficiently gritted. I guarantee they will have an army of gritters out if it is frosty tomorrow morning.

Irish rail should take incidents like this seriously also and make sure their platforms are ice free. I was just lucky that I was only slightly injured from stopping myself falling.

Work nurse? I thought there was such a shortage that even the hospitals can’t get them. :)

No I wouldn’t !
    Last year I was leaving work in Dublin rushing for my train , I fell going round the corner of a street , actually tripped on manhole cover . I fell and got a fright and 2 sore knees and cut my hand . Did I claim from Dublin City council .... NO !

I felt it was completely my fault for not looking where I was going, felt like an eejit, got up brushed myself off and ran for the train ! I’m a woman in my fifties . Grow up and take some responsibility for yourself . It’s sickening when people put in claims for this kind of stuff.

Agree with you on the personal responsibility front but what happens when the manhole cover is left open again and someone falls in or falls badly and has life changing injuries? You were reckless not reporting it.

Tis the way of the modern world

Yep, far too many spongers out there just looking for their chance at a payday due to their own stupidness.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sheldon16

Where does it say anywhere on Irish rail that platforms have to be gritted?

What would you do if you slipped on a puddle? Sue them for not drying the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It was dark and wasn't visible. I didn't go to a doctor. I'm am hoping the pain subsides but the leg is very sore on my right side and when I fell I banged my shin off the bottom edge of the door frame so the shin is grazed and sore aswell.

It was dark,so the ice wasn't visible yet you can tell the path wasn't gritted.

You probably should get an adult to accompany you in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭corner of hells

CCTV will be your making or breaking OP.
    All stations are heavily monitored.
    If you're acting the bollix with a spurious claim , you'll meet your arse on the way back down in court.

I'm not sure they are obliged to grit because a lot of stations are fitted anti-slip paving ,, routeways etc.

• Advertisement

Agree with you on the personal responsibility front but what happens when the manhole cover is left open again and someone falls in or falls badly and has life changing injuries? You were reckless not reporting it.

I was reckless ????? How ?? Where did I say manhole was left open?? It wasn’t , it was closed .........there was a slight difference in height and I tripped , if I hadn’t been running and if I had looked where I was going I would have seen this .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

People are not entitled to expect to go through life without getting a booboo.

Accidents happen. You are NOT injured. Grow up. It’s not always someone else’s fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Footpaths should be gritted, like they are in most countries with basic standards. A train station platform should most definitely be thoroughly de-iced as well, common sense to prevent falls like OP's plus other more potentially serious accidents like people slipping and falling on live track.

Awards for personal injury claims should be reduced immediately like they are in most countries with basic standards in the legal system.

Any fraudulent claimants should have charges brought against them, without delay, to deter any other chancers as is the practice in other countries. These measures have not been implemented. The long-awaited reforms in the legal system on foot of the Judicial Council Act are happening at a snail's pace.

I've said it before, the healing power of the cheque from the insurance company is remarkable in PI claims.

sheldon16 wrote: »
    Where does it say anywhere on Irish rail that platforms have to be gritted?

What would you do if you slipped on a puddle? Sue them for not drying the place?

A here, you obviously get chauffeured in to work and have a carpet laid out for you as your post points to you living a very sheltered existence. Have you heard of basic health and safety. FFS it's not the 1800s where people are expected to risk getting seriously hurt going about their day.Welcome to the real world/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Career in politics awaits you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Work nurse? I thought there was such a shortage that even the hospitals can’t get them. :)

Ah bless. Wrap the delicate little souls in cotton wool and treat them like babies.

Have you heard of basic health and safety.

Have you? Because it’s not just called Health & Safety

You’re missing an ‘E’ at the start of it.

I was reckless ????? How ?? Where did I say manhole was left open?? It wasn’t , it was closed .........there was a slight difference in height and I tripped , if I hadn’t been running and if I had looked where I was going I would have seen this .

Where I work someone would be fired for leaving a manhole open and not barriering off the area. You were irresponsible for not reporting a dangerous situation that might cause the next person to be seriously injured. It's human nature to lose concentration/not look where they are going, that's were safety precautions come in to prevent people getting hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sheldon16

A here, you obviously get chauffeured in to work and have a carpet laid out for you as your post points to you living a very sheltered existence. Have you heard of basic health and safety. FFS it's not the 1800s where people are expected to risk getting seriously hurt going about their day.Welcome to the real world/

No actually I use public transport including Irish rail. Have you heard of taking own responsibility?

So would you sue your shoe brand for not providing enough grip?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Do you grit your driveway and footpath in case the postman slips?

Didnt think so. Why not check the weather and wear appropriate footwear if there is ice forecast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement