Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I suppose in short. Check v5 and if you see the owners details as being from NI and them having owned it prior to brexit, you are OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭travist

Any idea about importing an older car from NI but that was a Japanese import? VRT calculator asks if a car is first registered in Japan. So answer is yes, but if it is then NI/UK import, how does that factor in? Is it considsered just an import from Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭User1998

I’d imagine it would be treated as a Jap import, because the stat codes are already there. Or you could get someone fussy who sends it off to Revenue. All depends on who you deal with on the day.

I’ve seen loads of Jap imports with UK stat codes, all just depends on who’s working that day.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭hometruths

If I was to import a car in person from the UK do I need a customs agent to handle duty and VAT off the boat? Or is it possible to do it yourself, i.e just drive off boat to customs office and present paperwork?

Unless you are importing a personal car and claiming a change of residence exemption, importing yourself wouldnt add up as you will have to pay vat here and vat inclusive price in uk.

Dealers can claim back uk vat.

I think an agent is required to handle customs. Traders seem to use them so must be pretty tricky without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Afaik you will need a customs agent to provide customs duty paid paperwork that you will need to present to the VRO when VRTing the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

Just wondering does anyone know if there is any garage in ROI that will bring in a car from England and pass on the UK Vat rebate? I am looking out for a car in BCA or in a garage but am looking for certain extras , ie panoramic roof certain colour etc. if possible but obviously don’t want to pay the UK Vat. Is there any garages that will do this and just charge a fee for their service out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭Gerry T

I think Kevin Barry motors in greenhills still imports uk cars, you could check him out

Ukcarimports.ie buy auction cars and hand them over all ready for the road here.

Don't know anything about them but look them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Sono

Hi Mick, you seem well clued in on all of this and thanks for all your posts I’ve read a fair few!

im looking at potentially bringing in a 2019 Passat from north, am I right in saying if this was never registered in the uk and has been in the north the whole time I would be vat exempt? Apologies if this has been answered but there’s a lot of posts!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

That’s great thank you. I will check them out

Yes but be sure you can prove it was always a NI car.

If it changed owners last year for example, would there be any indication on registration document that it was in NI before then. Just be sure you have evidence. But definitely a car in NI since 2019 doesn't need vat or duty paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

If a 22 car was registered in NI and has never been registered in the UK, what do you have to pay?

I rang a dealer in Belfast two days ago, and the salesman was adamant I only had to pay VRT to register it here in the ROI, he was full sure I would not have to pay VAT as the car was newly registered in NI and has never left the country with it only having one owner. He said any car, be it a 21, 22 or 23, that was first registered in NI and has remained in NI since is exempt from VAT and the ROI buyer only has to pay VRT.

Doesn't sound right to me. Am I wrong and is the salesman right?

Ya cars after brexit that were registered new in NI are OK too but they cannot have been ex uk demo or anything like that or vat or duty would.be payable.

If the registration doc shows no previous owners before the NI owner, the age of the car is not important.

The pre brexit requirements relate to uk mainland imports.

Salesman is right of course. Surely this information is readily available online?

Edit: Yep, easily found on Revenue website within 5 minutes.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vrt/registration-of-imported-used-vehicles/registering-vehicles-from-ni.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Of course it’s right. NI remains in the single European market for goods. No VAT or customs duty on transfer provided it has been properly imported into the single market in the first place. The only problem is with vehicles which were initially registered in GB and subsequently transferred after GB left the single market but without undergoing VAT and customs clearance which they will not so as NI is also part of U.K. single market - think of NI as the connected part of a Venn diagram. Items can go into it and out of it in both directions but things cannot pass from GB to IE via NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Has anyone had to get a vat refund on a car direclty from HMRC, how long did it take?

I've found a Vat Qualifing car but the dealer will not sell it without the vat, they say I will have to reclaim it myself. I've no way around this but pay the UK vat.

The intnetion would be pay the Irish Vat once the UK vat is refunded so I would only be paying vat on the UK ex vat price rather than paying the Irish Vat on top of the UK vat. Anyone been in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭G-Man

I have found an secondhand agricultural tractor in a main dealer in NI wtith an English registered tractor..

I think for tractor direct from uk there is special procedure and its 0% duty and a special cleaning of soil approval, but an English tractor for NI .

Very often farmers down here never road register but i do want to and am not sure how this will be handled...

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Evening

Difficult to read 156 pages so apologies for asking a question that is likely already asked. Is anything due on an Electric Car that was first registered in N Ireland - in mid 2023 - and which has more than 6,000km on the clock? My understanding is that nothing is due - no VRT as an EV and no VAT or customs as only registered in the North but hoping someone can confirm before I walk myself into a disaster! Car price is less than €30k by the way.

Thanks

Post edited by TheSunIsShining on

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

My understating is that you pay no VAT or import duty but 7% VRT

EDIT: Sorry I see now they seem to be saying you can get a €5k relief on the 7% VRT, cant answer you if that applies to used cars also!

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vrt/calculating-vrt/electric-hybrid-vehicles.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BobC88

Won a fabulous car the other day, the joy turned to worry as soon as we found out it was a GB reg car. Looking at minimum of €17k to fork out to get it on Irish plates. The money offered in place of it is about 25% less than the UK value so snookered either way.

Called around a couple of dealers & they wouldn’t touch it due to the GB reg & the rigmarole of VAT & customs.

Not necessarily a “bad” problem to have, but I sure would have loved to keep that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'm looking at an electric car up north and would appreciate some advice.

Car is on NI reg, and last v5c issue matches when the car was bought, so seems good on the vat and vrt front

I'd hope to travel up and to view and, all going well, drive it home that day .

Regarding paying for the car, how do people typically do it?

I've seen some people mention revolut, so I'd assume that's a bank transfer as revolut seem to have a card limit of 5k per day. EDIT: not sure where I read this, but I just confirmed there is no limit with support.

Ive read that UK bank transfer happen a lot quicker than here, so would a bank transfer from revolut work out to do it same day?

Revolut have a currency transfer fee of 1% over 1000, but it's free with revolut premium, so it actually works out cheaper to pay for premium (even for the year, €108). Is there any cheaper way of doing it?

Paying by BOI card is another option I saw mentioned, that's another possibility if the dealer is ok with it, but I'd probably have to do some looking into it to see how much it would cost.

Any other alternatives worth considering?

Thanks!

Post edited by witnessmenow on

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

Did you get any answer to this question. Interested myself. I have found 2 export companies that will buy a vat qualifying car from any dealer (for me) for a fee. Then sell it to me with the vat excluded. The only thing they said is they have to organise the export shipping which is around £900.

There is still savings compared to paying the UK vat, but if individuals can claim the vat back themselves once they prove it was exported then that's the better route.

Has anybody actually done this recently and how? Or is it even possible.

Let me know the export companies if possible by pm if you wish.

I had been in touch with one before and they seemed to know the game anyway but didn't go ahead at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TWIreland

Hi Guys,

just looking to clarify things here. Am I correct in saying that if purchasing a car from Northern Ireland (mileage over 6,000km) that has always been registered there will be exempt from VRT and VAT in the Republic? If incorrect what is payable in both the North via HMRC and South via Revenue on a car with over 6,000km on the clock. If you could provide examples on electric, hybrid and diesel/petrol. Just confused reading the posts above.

• Advertisement

A car bought new in NI and over the 6000 km would be exempt from vat and duty.

Important to be sure it was bought new in Ni, not an a new uk reg prereg brought over.

Correct Ni car will require vrt and nox payable. Vrt and nox tiny of plug in hybrid.

Pretty much nothing payable on a average priced ev as there is a 5k vrt exemption on cars up to 40k omsp. Not sure if that is based on the omsp on the day presented for registration or how they assess that.

Vrt on an ev is 7 percent

Advertisement