Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are FFG & the media putting peace in Ireland in Jeopardy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I don't think they are but they have zero respect for all the hard work all sides put into it or the blood shed either.
    That's why FG need to go. Its beyond their failed policies at this point. Nasty bitter arrogant people.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said the rallies are "designed to be the next phase in Sinn Féin's campaign of intimidation and bullying".

Public meetings are now being described as intimidation and bullying!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

jd1983 wrote: »
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said the rallies are "designed to be the next phase in Sinn Féin's campaign of intimidation and bullying".

Can't wait to hear what he has to say about the Greens.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0224/1117361-green-party-meetings/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I was at the meeting early. There seemed to be a very wide ranging demographic. There was an open discussion and they answered questions thoroughly and honestly. Seemed like a great idea and looked a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

n97 mini wrote: »
    You lost me at FFG. FF and FG are not the same party.

They're not, but as they both adopted the economically right wing, socially left wing blend that was known as the "third way" in the US, "New Labour" in the UK, is known by its opponents as "neoliberalism" etc when it emerged at the end of the 1980s and developed through the early 1990s, those who oppose that ideology very legitimately and reasonable regard them as two cheeks of the same arse.

• Advertisement

Peatys wrote: »
    Ever since i have my own money, A please.

If stagflation isn't addressed urgently, it will eventually impact your quality of life just the same as it's impacting people less well off now. It's only a matter of time before price inflation outstrips everyone's ability to stay ahead of it, so if you truly believe you can do so indefinitely then good luck to you - but history would suggest that this tends not to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

No brexit is.

If stagflation isn't addressed urgently, it will eventually impact your quality of life just the same as it's impacting people less well off now. It's only a matter of time before price inflation outstrips everyone's ability to stay ahead of it, so if you truly believe you can do so indefinitely then good luck to you - but history would suggest that this tends not to be the case.

The gas thing is when we get an inevitable recession do you honestly think that housing prices will fall in line with the fall in wages ? They will in their hole.believe me if we're stuggling for living costs during a boom period they we're doomed when a recession comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

They're not, but as they both adopted the economically right wing, socially left wing blend that was known as the "third way" in the US, "New Labour" in the UK, is known by its opponents as "neoliberalism" etc when it emerged at the end of the 1980s and developed through the early 1990s, those who oppose that ideology very legitimately and reasonable regard them as two cheeks of the same arse.
    A bit like SF/IRA?

Darc19 wrote: »
    A bit like SF/IRA?

If you're implying that SF are also secretly a neoliberal party, we won't know that until we see them in government but it's worth a shot. We know FFG are.

If you're referring to the IRA, the difference is that the IRA's campaign is over. The cost of living crisis is happening right now. The elections of people like Dessie Ellis and Aengus O'Snodaigh are evidence that voters are willing to prioritise the problems of today over the problems of the past.

I don't think anyone denies that SF has always been the political wing of the IRA, people are denying the relevance of this today considering that the IRA has abandoned its campaign and fully subsumed into the political wing. Nobody has provided any evidence that Sinn Fein's organisational structure is any less democratic than any other party's. If they're too dangerous or undemocratic to be allowed into power here, then our establishment is hypocritical to its core to demand that they capitulate to the DUP in the North, hence the question as to whether the barrage of unproven and evidenceless allegations that SF is controlled by a secret cabal of terrorists is a two fingered salute to the Good Friday Agreement. Either SF is fit to take part in a legitimate, democratic government or they aren't. Attacking or delegitimising the party and its voters in this jurisdiction automatically by extension delegitimises their participation in the Northern Ireland power sharing institutions, and it's absolutely ridiculous for anyone to suggest otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The premise of this thread is Be Nice to Sinn Fein, Stop being Nasty to Sinn Fein, or someone might get hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

2 cheeks of the same arse

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's a bit scary a party that only got 25% of the vote is holding rallies with an ambiguous intent to "convince" that they should be in power.

It's really not how this works.

This is in regards to their treatment of Sinn Fein, treating them like a pariah.

The biggest threat to the peace process is dissident republican groups who refused to sign up to the good Friday agreement. Core to their argument is that the good Friday agreement was a con job that will never deliver a united Ireland and that the establishment both sides of the border will never respect Sinn Fein. This argument was strengthened a few years ago when Leo effectively said that he doesn't believe the good Friday agreement should be honoured, stating that there should be a substantial majority before a united Ireland should be allowed. I believe the reaction by FFG and the Irish media to sinn fein's electoral success will help dissident republican groups recruit new disillusioned members.

I'm not a Sinn Fein supporter and I find what they carried out before 1998 as abhorrent. However I feel it's important to support groups that are now looking to achieve their goals via peaceful means.

No risk to the peace process just making twits of themselves rolling out every hack that owes them a favour to conflate SF with everything fro the fall of the Roman empire to why there are less Rollos in a pack.

noodler wrote: »
    It's a bit scary a party that only got 25% of the vote is holding rallies with an ambiguous intent to "convince" that they should be in power.

They atre town meetings not much different to the tyre burning cavalcade for the FFG TDs who were elected on the 15th count

noodler wrote: »

If you find open discussions around policy and government formations terrifying then you're probably a dictator!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

People excercising their fundamental rights to freedom of assembly and association is a threat to democracy now...

#Leothink #gravedangertodemocracy #needanewPRconsultancy #meltdown

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Yurt! wrote: »
    People excercising their fundamental rights to freedom of assembly and association is a threat to democracy now...

Betray Sinn Fein and you'll get assassinated
    #makeTagUp #DenisDonaldson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

I'm not a Sinn Fein supporter...

I'm amazed by how many threads people are starting in support of a party they don't support.

Is there some rule that you have to include the line "I'm not a Sinn Fein supporter, but..."?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'm amazed by how many threads people are starting in support of a party they don't support.

Is there some rule that you have to include the line "I'm not a Sinn Fein supporter, but..."?

Probably because a favoured tactic of the boards Young (and not so young) FG continuity army is to tar anyone who criticises their party as having spent the 80s in a ditch outside Crossmaglen watching troop movements.

Mostly they've had a bellyful of the last government.

• Advertisement

I never supported SF until this election and I wouldn't call myself a card carrying Shinner yet, but I bumped our local candidate up to #2 where they would formerly have been close to the very bottom (above FFG but below everyone else), heading along to the rally tonight in Dublin to hear what they have to say and could easily see myself supporting them in the next election depending on how the fallout from this one transpires.

I imagine many of the "I don't support SF but..." posters are the same, newfound supporters or tentative supporters who are on the fence, but who have swung their legs over to the SF side of the fence and only need a small amount of convincing to hop off on that side. That's certainly me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sinnerbots taking a leaf out of the DUP playbook here with their SFIRA, you hate to see it.

Yurt! wrote: »

Damn Shinners and their...

*shuffles cards*

...engaging with the electorate :rolleyes:

Who had most to lose by Donaldson talking? Sunday World made the big deal about him living outside Glenties, wasn't causing any grief for republicans, so who needed him dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I never supported SF until this election and I wouldn't call myself a card carrying Shinner yet, but I bumped our local candidate up to #2 where they would formerly have been close to the very bottom (above FFG but below everyone else), heading along to the rally tonight in Dublin to hear what they have to say and could easily see myself supporting them in the next election depending on how the fallout from this one transpires.

I imagine many of the "I don't support SF but..." posters are the same, newfound supporters or tentative supporters who are on the fence, but who have swung their legs over to the SF side of the fence and only need a small amount of convincing to hop off on that side. That's certainly me anyway.

The arrogance of the FG lot coupled with the 'you-stupid-idiots-they-are-the-IRA!' attitude reminds me of when it was pointed out how much Margaret Thatcher boosted IRA recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

The people have spoken. It is now the turn of Dàil Éireann to decide. Every party goes to the market and puts their best foot forward. Nobody has any entitlement to a place in government in advance. It is extremely rich of SF to whinge about being shunned by other parties when they have made clear that they will have nothing to do with FG in any circumstances. SF are far too slow in learning about democracy. They should divest themselves of their sense of entitlement.
    For those who don't seem to know, what happens now is that parties do more talking and try plan B. Fresh offers will be made, just as happens at the market. No other party will be influenced in the slightest by proceedings in the beerhalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

TBF, you can't say anything negative about FF/FG without their supporters club doing a whatabout the troubles or IRA in general, and if you persist, you are considered a shinner, so people obviously feel the need to mention it.
    I don't care if people think I'm a shinner, I'll still criticise bullsh*t from /FG and I'll only speak on SF in that regard. As I've said you could merrily switch SF with PBP and the conversations would end up with the FG lobby calling everyone PBP heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

cant wait til you show us all how you can back that up with actual facts

pinkyeye wrote: »
    They're absolutely putting the peace process in jeopardy out of fear. They're absolutely ****ting themselves now that they haven't got a clear run at power.

Sorry mate. Nobody's falling for that blackmail. "Do it our way or blood will flow." You underestimate the determination of Irish people to preserve democracy,

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »
    Can't wait to hear what he has to say about the Greens.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0224/1117361-green-party-meetings/

I would just love to be a fly on the wall when the Green/SF discussion gets around to diesel.

Advertisement