Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feb 29th - Snowfall/Wintry Conditions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Donegal, Leitrim and Sligo
    Showers of hail, sleet and snow continuing throughout Wednesday and early Thursday, leading to icy patches. Some snow accumulations over high ground.

Valid: 09:00 Wednesday 26/02/2020 to 12:00 Thursday 27/02/2020

Issued: 17:00 Tuesday 25/02/2020

That's a bit disappointing. I was hoping the warning would be more extensive, and mention snow accumulating at all levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

kittyn wrote: »
    Nice moderate snow shower here now :) Ticknock

Yes I'd expect the higher altitude around Dublin to get some snow but lower areas of Dublin will be fortunate and not get anything of any significance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

20 minutes of heavy snow in south kilkenny. Stuck for the duration but as soon as it stopped its been melting away just as fast.

Just started raining now, hopefully it will turn to snow soon. I must say some of the models seem to have got it wrong so far.

It's turning to snow now!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Holy Duck

North Co. Dublin, very threatening sky, something stirring, can feel it in my bones..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Snowing and lying here in Dungiven, County Derry. I'm about 90m altitude. Will see if it stays when the showers stop.

Heavy snow now, which is beginning to stick on the grass and bins. This is more like it. Just wish my father was here to enjoy it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Can I ask those in the meteoroligal know - what does a yellow warning mean in relation to snow & ice - I understand when it's a measure of wind or rainfall but if I'm travelling by car should a yellow warning stop me or is it just a might/maybe/now cast situation - if it is the latter why put a warning out at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Looks to be getting a bit more organised off the west coast, next wave should give some actual snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Yes I'd expect the higher altitude around Dublin to get some snow but lower areas of Dublin will be fortunate and not get anything of any significance

*Unfortunate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Pretzill wrote: »
    Can I ask those in the meteoroligal know - what does a yellow warning mean in relation to snow & ice - I understand when it's a measure of wind or rainfall but if I'm travelling by car should a yellow warning stop me or is it just a might/maybe/now cast situation - if it is the latter why put a warning out at all?

Look up Met.ie own description.

In the UK it means 'be aware'. If you get a forecast of scattered snow showers with a yellow attached, it means some disruption likely, leave extra time for journeys, outdoor activities might become a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Plenty of showers in Letterkenny all afternoon, mainly sleet though some proper snow in the heavier ones. Nothing sticking yet though my garden is still all white from Sunday night so anything that does fall should readily stick.

Hills around the town getting a good top up as well, lying snow level looks to be around 250-300m so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Real stuff now building on West coast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Snowing and sticking in Wexford town. Hopefully a fun night ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Looking out west here in Castlebar and theres some high tops on them showers ,(cb's). Could be a flash of lightning or two. How far inland the showers go remains to be seen.

It looks like there will be some prolonged showers this evening. Hopefully in the next couple of hours the snow will begin to stick on all surfaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Lamp post at the ready

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Heavy shower the last few minutes , everywhere is white here !!
    There is still time. Keep the faith

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Looking out west here in Castlebar and theres some high tops on them showers ,(cb's). Could be a flash of lightning or two. How far inland the showers go remains to be seen.

Looking at them now. They are really black and threatening looking. Definitely feel that there is a much colder bite to the wind also. Could get interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Heavy snow here.... Where's here :) can people put up locations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Snowing and sticking in Wexford town. Hopefully a fun night ahead

Temps have dropped 3 degrees in last 3/4 of an hour. On the coast in Wexico. Sleet to Snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Just started raining now, hopefully it will turn to snow soon. I must say some of the models seem to have got it wrong so far.

It's turning to snow now!

the models have been poor enough over the past few days. On Saturday they went to town with Sunday nights snow, in reality just the very far north and parts of the north-west had brief transitional snow. Granted theses sort of situations are very difficult to forecast accurately as the positioning of the lows are crucial.

Yesterdays models were showing a day full of showers and bands of more organised showers crossing the country, most of them of sleet and snow. In reality showers have been scatted, not really prolonged or organised and quite a few have remained dry entirely. Showers have mostly been of rain or sleet away from high ground too. At this stage now showers should be dying back to western and northern coasts, already many of them are breaking up over north Meath and Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

How is someone expected to watch their lamp post and make pancakes at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Good blast of snow coming down now in Waterford City.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Dew point dropping a little here with the odd brief snow shower. I find these showers today to be very unorganised and without any real punch. Even the current shower visibly looks to be draining itself of all energy as it passes over.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Knock temperature and dew point now zero. 1830 reports a light shower of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Gonzo wrote: »
    the models have been poor enough over the past few days. On Saturday they went to town with Sunday nights snow, in reality just the very far north and parts of the north-west had brief transitional snow. Granted theses sort of situations are very difficult to forecast accurately as the positioning of the lows are crucial.

Yesterdays models were showing a day full of showers and bands of more organised showers crossing the country, most of them of sleet and snow. In reality showers have been scatted, not really prolonged or organised and quite a few have remained dry entirely. Showers have mostly been of rain or sleet away from high ground too. At this stage now showers should be dying back to western and northern coasts, already many of them are breaking up over north Meath and Cavan.

In fairness much of Ulster got a good dumping of snow Sunday night, snowed steady from 1am til 8am here with around 6-7cm on the ground, dozens of schools had to close in the north as well. Definitely more than brief and transitional!

The current effort is fairly standard westerly stuff and all of yesterdays models (apart from euro4 of course!) were only showing any real accumulation on high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭bassy

sleet in north kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

West county Waterford ! Stopped again here now and sky is clear , stars twinkling !
    Cw85 wrote: »
    Heavy snow here.... Where's here :) can people put up locations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Real stuff now building on West coast!!

Looks like rain Ted

Advertisement