Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is heartbreaking - Child Bullying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭jackboy

Ironicname wrote: »
    65k raised on gofundme to take him to Disney and has already been offered to be taken to wrestle mania by the wrestlers themselves.

Disney and wrestle mania is not what that child needs. What’s the plan, send him on a holiday so adults can feel better, then send him back to school to be bullied.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

jackboy wrote: »
    Disney and wrestle mania is not what that child needs. What’s the plan, send him on a holiday so adults can feel better, then send him back to school to be bullied.

Id say there's more to it than that, in fairness the mum sounds like she's at the end of her tether.
    As a parent I can hear her pain and love for the poor lad.
    He's so lonely and so is she by the sounds of it.

I can see that you mean well, but my heart went out to him he's a lost soul and his whole world is upturned.

Imagine having the world at your feet and yet feeling alienated by the people you want to share space with waking up every morning with that on 9 year olds conscious.

Look at the crater, in his lovely rig out, nice clean hair and looks great.
    But yet he feels like the world has rejected him.

This happens to adults too, and it makes me think about my own defects of character, my little snipes at the left and social justice warriors.
    In a roundabout way im being disingenuous to my fellow man or woman.

I need to take stock and bow my head down and say, yes I've been strident towards people who have their own struggles in life.

If it took that poor misfortunes strife to look at myself, then without him knowing he helped me to look at myself and my indignation towards others.

Yes hands up I need to change too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Absolute bliss when a bullied child knocks seven shades of shyte out of their bully or bullies, but I'd wager it's mostly in the movies/on TV, and in reality the reverse is what happens usually.

It's out of the question for a small/fragile child like this wee buachaill anyway.

That said though, self defence classes are a good idea. Meeting other kids and keeping fit as well as the self defence aspect.

A child in my daughter's class was getting bullied, school didn't really do much to resolve the issue. The child ended up fighting back one day and the school were fairly quick to punish the child who fought back. Really unfair. Parents continually fighting with the school to do something. They are drained by it all. And the poor kid wouldnt harm a fly and now thinks he is in the wrong for fighting back, cause thats what the school told him.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

That is shameful.

A primary school teacher told me the bullies need to learn themselves that bullying is wrong when I challenged them as my child was being bullied. They even went as far as sitting the bully beside my child in the naïve hope that the bully would be friends!!
    I went to the school and told the head I would be in to sit beside the bully the next morning unless she was moved immediately and I'd show the bully what bullying was like. They moved them apart before I left the school that day.

But did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I think bit of reverse bullyology should come into play. Secure the services of a bigger lad to hound them; really get on their case give them cold sweats... haunt their fcuking dreams. There’s always at least one who doesn’t like what he’s seeing, he’d be up for it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ironicname wrote: »
    65k raised on gofundme to take him to Disney and has already been offered to be taken to wrestle mania by the wrestlers themselves.

The comic who kicked off the GoFundMe is the same fella who was caught telling a story of when he effectively raped a woman along with another comic.
    Later played it off as "it was a joke, I made it up on the spot".

I'd say he's delighted that this story has come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The worst part of this video is that there is no way teachers at the school don't know it's happening to that poor kid.

I remember my Mam telling a story of when she went to a parent's night at my school before I started 2nd class. One parent questioned the process of dealing with bullying, the Principal proudly stood there and said "we don't have bullying here, there's nothing to worry about". He got torn to shreds and called a liar by another women who said her older son and herself were in his office numerous times for being bullied, the last time she had to come down after he was thrown into a bin, like something from a movie.

Complete ignorance or head in the sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

This. It certainly wouldn't have been acceptable when I went to school with my peers, and I came from a very "working class" area. And if my Ma found out I'd been slagging a disabled child.....

But nowadays there is no such thing as disabled apparently. You can't say that, everyone is equal but different and all that waffle. Kids are told that children like this kid are no different to anyone else, then get told off for picking on the disabled kid, which is it?? No wonder kids are confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I recall, not so many years ago, that when I was a young`un, even the notion that you would mock a disabled classmate was enough to get the entire class pissed off at you. What changed?

This still happens. Seen cases where someone tries to pick on the 'special' kid in class, that person usually gets a load of abuse.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

But nowadays there is no such thing as disabled apparently. You can't say that, everyone is equal but different and all that waffle. Kids are told that children like this kid are no different to anyone else, then get told off for picking on the disabled kid, which is it?? No wonder kids are confused.
    No confusion at all. Don't bully.

• Advertisement

I think it's very sad and when we were kids it happened too, nothing changes.
    The upsetting part is that a child who shouldn't even be familiar with nor exposed to "hanging", simply asks for a rope! gimme a rope now..who says that?? also who films it while he's in such a state and sends it worldwide.
    To the public, it will be yesterdays news tomorrow but to him, I fear that video will be shown to him repeatedly and shared by the same bullies alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Disgraceful.

This stuff has always existed. Like watching a documentary where a young deer is hunted and then torn to shreds by lions. It's cruel. Life has an intrinsically cruel streak to it.

You can only minimise it as much as possible, as weak a solution as it sounds.

While it's always existed, the Advent of social media has had the effect of throwing petrol on a fire, making it multiple times worse. These social media companies are basically scum in my opinion. Every which way they can twist and turn to avoid regulation is taken by them. Slippery eels that care only about profiteering, and yes, even the posting of the video above = profit for them.

Step 1 in combating bullying these days is to get your child off social media and then distance them as far as humanly possible from it. No "supervised" time, no "I'll use this program to filter". Get them off it, full stop. Then, you take other steps, and not before.

I remember a person in a class in secondary school. They must have been bullied before I joined the school, because it already "existed". I tried to be friendly but they didn't want to know, probably because they thought it was a set-up for bullying in some way.

One day in particular, I was sitting behind them and I laughed at something said to me. The person turned around to me, almost teary eyed, and half shouted "what are you laughing at?"

It had gotten so bad mentally that even hearing a laugh to them automatically meant they must be the butt of some joke.

How bad is that? That laughter itself became a negative thing? Still remember it clear as a bell and it still makes me sad recalling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,215 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

beejee wrote: »
    Step 1 in combating bullying these days is to get your child off social media and then distance them as far as humanly possible from it. No "supervised" time, no "I'll use this program to filter". Get them off it, full stop. Then, you take other steps, and not before.

This is becoming a tad more popular now(not majorly). However I've seen this happen on a few occasions and the kids/teenagers. Set up accounts on friends, library, etc devices and the parents haven't an iota of what's going on.
    They'd proudly tell you that my child isn't on X but they are.
    All I'm saying is of your one of the parents who ban social media becareful of it because your kid will tell you nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I was one of four brothers at secondary school. None of us was bullied. Bullies pick on the weak and isolated.
    To stop bullies you need to identify them. My guess is schools do not want to identify bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Jmsg

Father deprivation is very often behind both the predilection to bully and the vulnerability to be bullied. Something often disregarded in the PC age where it's blasphemous to suggest there's any difference between a child being raised by their father or theirs mother's lesbian lover

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I'm half thinking of showing this video to my 8 year old son to show him the effect bullying has on another kid. My fella is one of the quiet ones in the class but you never know.

squawker wrote: »
    same as my kids school, but I have told my kids if someone tries to bully you hit that bully square on the nose as hard as you can

fcuk being passive, its the only thing a bully understands

That was my logic growing up and I did it a few times. Even if you get the **** kicked out of you I guarantee the bully will never go near you again.

I learned that bullies also like an audience so the more public the punch the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭jackboy

That was my logic growing up and I did it a few times. Even if you get the **** kicked out of you I guarantee the bully will never go near you again.

I learned that bullies also like an audience so the more public the punch the better.

This is unpalatable but there is truth to it. If a bully is struck in public by someone ‘weaker’ then they are shamed. No revenge can reverse that. That is why they will then change their target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I'm half thinking of showing this video to my 8 year old son to show him the effect bullying has on another kid. My fella is one of the quiet ones in the class but you never know.

It will just upset him (in my opinion) and if he is already emotionally intelligent he does not need it. He might be a bit young yet. 12 maybe, but at 8 you are still so small.

Something I feel strongly about is that people should respond to their own issue directly with their own solution. There is no point in hoping or waiting for the monolith to change.
    The child is 9, every day is his now, it is as long as a universe to him, today is the day the parents need to respond. This waiting on the state to do something, or an institution to do something, is abdication of personal responsibility. Take the child out of the school. If a better school cannot be found, keep the child at home for home school. Fcuk this waiting for other people to be better - they might never be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,701 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He looks like a smart kid also, well able to express himself verbally and emotionally.

Some people are just heartless, and those of us who aren't can't understand why they are that way.
    To take joy in someone else's pain and sorrow verges on being evil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Nothing. People have always been cnuts

In fairness, my experiences over the last number of years show it as getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Jmsg

He looks like a smart kid also, well able to express himself verbally and emotionally.

Some people are just heartless, and those of us who aren't can't understand why they are that way.
    To take joy in someone else's pain and sorrow verges on being evil.

The fact kids are packed like sardines together into school camps for a quarter of each day then creches to effectively raise each other is evil

jackboy wrote: »
    This is unpalatable but there is truth to it. If a bully is struck in public by someone ‘weaker’ then they are shamed. No revenge can reverse that. That is why they will then change their target.

Bullies hedge their bets that the 'weakling' will never strike back which is why they keep pushing it. It is to see how far they can push the other person.

Regrettably most kids who are bullied will not have the wherewithal to get physical. Again the bullies know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

It's lovely to see such global support for the child and I hope that his mum will use a lot of the money raised to help other children who have physical challenges or who are victims of bullying. A lot of money has been raised and it would be nice to see it put to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Stateofyou wrote: »
    That's why it continues on in children. Monkey see monkey do. Parents at home aren't instilling kindness or empathy. Adults all around them in real life or online don't embody it either. We all need to do better.

The very first thing they should teach you in primary school (and I do believe it can be taught) is empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Daisy78 wrote: »
    The very first thing they should teach you in primary school (and I do believe it can be taught) is empathy.

My grandchild is in Senior Infants , since day one they have two classmates with special needs . They are all so kind to them and both invited to the birthday parties . This is due to the teachers involvement and teaching and the parents showing how every child is equally special .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Don't do that, 8 year olds don't need to hear about suicide as even an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 25,698 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This child is Aboriginal - the Australian equivalent of a traveller.

Many people in After Hours are normally pretty vocal about what they believe should be done to Travellers, and that is more or less what has been done to this kid.

What gives? Because he's an Aussie kid, it's wrong, but if he was an Irish Traveller child, it would be ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

This child is Aboriginal - the Australian equivalent of a traveller.

Many people in After Hours are normally pretty vocal about what they believe should be done to Travellers, and that is more or less what has been done to this kid.

What gives? Because he's an Aussie kid, it's wrong, but if he was an Irish Traveller child, it would be ok?

I don't think anyone has ever said to bully traveller children? Open to correction however.

Advertisement