Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever worked/lived in the UK and preferred it to Ireland

Options
1235»

Comments

Lol....yeah I saw that reply coming a mile away. My wife is just as bad for it.

A lot of it is down to people being at different stages in life.

Kids change everything and people cope with it in different ways. We have friends here who have disappeared off the face of the earth and trying to see them is a nightmare what with having to fit in with swimming lessons, horse riding lessons, gaa matches etc.

Even when they’re local they won’t “drop in” because the youngest needs her regulation nap at 2pm or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

I'd love to go back,

Get myself a nice little house in Brighton-Le-Sands or Crosby by the beach, be much better than here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I was born and raised in England till age 14, then moved to Northern Ireland.

Personally think anti-Irish sentiment is still quite prevalent in parts of the UK, much more so than say other anglosphere countries like US, Canada, Australia, NZ etc. It puts off sometimes how casual it can be amongst some of them.

The weather is a bit better in the south of England, obviously more diverse, but I think if I were considering to move it would be to the US, Canada or Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

FTA69 wrote: »
    Nobody here can pull a pint with a degree of speed or accuracy either. One pint at a time and no idea of serving in turn etc. "Anybody waiting?" and all that sh*t. Drives me f*cking mad still

I don’t get this notion. How many pints can Irish people pull at at time. Surely it’s all the same. Pull pints, take the money and serve the drinks, then on to the next customer. Or you could take the order, take money from the last customer pull their pints then pull some of your pints, then take the next customer’s order and pull some of their pints, the serve the first people, pull some more of your order then take the money from you then take an order form another customer, the finish pulling your order then pull some of the pints on the next order, then take your money, finish the last order and then serve you the pints.

The second way might be more impressive to Irish people by it’s exactly the same procedure. Guinness is the only difference but who would drink Guinness in England?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I'm about 8 years in London and out of Ireland over 12. My life is here now. Partner, kids, house. Not planning to return any time soon. I do like to get back and visit though. There are lots of things I prefer here compared to Ireland (not just that Amazon can delivery same day..) but it can be hard to vocalise them without sounding like a dick about back home. While at the same time I can be defensive about home if other brings things up about it to me...

I agree with the generally poor bar staff. They do what I call end to end service. There are lots of people drinking Guinness!

I'm not happy with Brexit however I'm in Hackney and you wouldn't catch me voting for Labour/Diane Abbott any time soon. The FPTP system here leaves a lot to be desired. Half the time I feel I might as well not vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I don’t get this notion. How many pints can Irish people pull at at time. Surely it’s all the same. Pull pints, take the money and serve the drinks, then on to the next customer. Or you could take the order, take money from the last customer pull their pints then pull some of your pints, then take the next customer’s order and pull some of their pints, the serve the first people, pull some more of your order then take the money from you then take an order form another customer, the finish pulling your order then pull some of the pints on the next order, then take your money, finish the last order and then serve you the pints.

The second way might be more impressive to Irish people by it’s exactly the same procedure. Guinness is the only difference but who would drink Guinness in England?

No it's not exactly the same at all mate. If a barstaff can take two orders at once or pour two or three pints at once then the orders get completed much quicker and people aren't hanging around like a spare prick for twenty minutes waiting on a pint. Similarly if you're second to the bar you should be served second, the barstaff should know the order in which people are to be served by paying attention as opposed to going "anybody waiting?" or "who's next?" and having to clamber for every order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

London is amazing, but moved back and bought a property at 35 like the guy above. I miss the transport and the buzz of the place and all the endless things to do but I feel more at home here and I guess I just don't like the feeling of being an immigrant at the end of the day!

What is this feeling you describe?

I've been living in the UK for nearly 9 years and I don't feel like I'm out of place and like the OP I'm thankful to have made a lot of good friends and met my fiancée.

My answer is yes and yes to both questions. I think if I came back to Ireland I'd have a lot of adjusting to do at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

No it's not exactly the same at all mate. If a barstaff can take two orders at once or pour two or three pints at once then the orders get completed much quicker and people aren't hanging around like a spare prick for twenty minutes waiting on a pint. Similarly if you're second to the bar you should be served second, the barstaff should know the order in which people are to be served by paying attention as opposed to going "anybody waiting?" or "who's next?" and having to clamber for every order.

I really don't think it's different. They just deal with more things together but they can only actually do one thing at a time. They can only take money and give back change one at a time, they can only pill pints one at a time. They might look much more busy when they're taking orders while pulling pints but the work gets done at about the same rate.

If they take your order and pull the pints, then take someone else order and pull their pints, the take your money and serve your pints, your pints were delayed by the time it took to pull the next persons pints. It's zero sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

some of those norman towns that they show on channel 4 house programs look pretty grim. Not poor. Affluent people in their large homes that talk about going to the pub all day. id say they are fairly conservative. probably little different to one pub towns in ireland

dublin is nicer than london, but london has alot more going on. depending on what you fancy.

I really don't think it's different. They just deal with more things together but they can only actually do one thing at a time. They can only take money and give back change one at a time, they can only pill pints one at a time. They might look much more busy when they're taking orders while pulling pints but the work gets done at about the same rate.

If they take your order and pull the pints, then take someone else order and pull their pints, the take your money and serve your pints, your pints were delayed by the time it took to pull the next persons pints. It's zero sum.

Person A and Person B are at the bar, A wants Fosters and B wants a Strongbow; the taps are next to each other. It takes 1 minute to pull a pint for argument's sake.

If I ask A what they want, pour it, give it to them; And then ask B the same, pour him his pint and give it to him - total pouring is 2 minutes.

If I ask them both at the same time, pour two at the same time and hand them across the bar - total pouring is 1 minute.

Now if you accumulate that across orders of three, four pints with multiple people at the bar it means people get served a lot slower. Couple that with the "anybody waiting?" crap and you're there ages.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

some of those norman towns that they show on channel 4 house programs look pretty grim. Not poor. Affluent people in their large homes that talk about going to the pub all day. id say they are fairly conservative. probably little different to one pub towns in ireland

dublin is nicer than london, but london has alot more going on. depending on what you fancy.

I lived for four years in Dublin and am into my fourth here in London. In no way would I say Dublin is nicer. It's always had this filthy feel to me and I've rarely found the locals to be anything other than rude, unhelpful and unpleasant. I would score London better in every regard. More green spaces, a much nicer city centre, a cornucopia of things to do, world class airports and a vastly superior transport system. Dublin city centre is just a kip IMO and it baffles me that Dublin Bus are still demanding exact change while giving out those ridiculous slips that need to be cased on O'Connell street. TFL on the other hand accept contactless debit and credit cards for the overground, underground and buses. It's just so much better.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I lived for four years in Dublin and am into my fourth here in London. In no way would I say Dublin is nicer. It's always had this filthy feel to me and I've rarely found the locals to be anything other than rude, unhelpful and unpleasant. I would score London better in every regard. More green spaces, a much nicer city centre, a cornucopia of things to do, world class airports and a vastly superior transport system. Dublin city centre is just a kip IMO and it baffles me that Dublin Bus are still demanding exact change while giving out those ridiculous slips that need to be cased on O'Connell street. TFL on the other hand accept contactless debit and credit cards for the overground, underground and buses. It's just so much better.

They have a yoke called a Leap card now to be fair to them. I was in Dublin for a conference there last year and had a grand old time. Met Tayto from Into the West and all.

what's a norman town?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's really not the same.

As an ex barman myself, I can vouch that Irish barmen get through more customers and deal with more orders than others.

Irish barmen will regularly hold 2 pint glasses in one hand and pour two pints at one time.

Taking another customers order and memorising it whilst pulling pints also saves time.

They also work at a much faster pace and sense of urgency than most and therefore you get served quicker.
    In other countries (not just UK) they will pour one drink and nothing else will happen and it is slower.

murpho999 wrote: »

As an ex barman myself, I can vouch that Irish barmen get through more customers and deal with more orders than others.

Irish barmen will regularly hold 2 pint glasses in one hand and pour two pints at one time.

Taking another customers order and memorising it whilst pulling pints also saves time.

They also work at a much faster pace and sense of urgency than most and therefore you get served quicker.
    In other countries (not just UK) they will pour one drink and nothing else will happen and it is slower.

A lot of the barstaff in in Ireland seem to be professional bar staff, that's my take on it anyway. People who do it full time for a lliving.

In London bar staff are usually an assortment of students and Aussie back packers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They have a yoke called a Leap card now to be fair to them. I was in Dublin for a conference there last year and had a grand old time. Met Tayto from Into the West and all.

I knew that. Not sure why I did not mention it. I don't think much of it to be honest. Maybe TfL has spoiled me but this carry on of constantly topping up a card is a bit daft. The infrastructure for electronic payments is there, why not just cut out the middleman.

I've had nice times in Dublin seeing friends as well. It's not exactly Mogadishu but I've never gotten why the city centre has been allowed to look like that. A mate just bought a place in a working class part of Dublin on the red line and was nearly assaulted in his local for watching the match as they thought he was an outsider. Dublin has always had this rough, run down feeling to me.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

murpho999 wrote: »

As a ex barman friend of mine (he worked in London for years, Amstedam and even Moscow and all over Ireland) said:

"If you have to ask 'Who is next?'" you are a **** barman."

He himself was excellant.

It really is a joke over here across the board- to begin with I just thought it was just a few bad places but after 10 years I can safely say bar staff over here are beyond atrocious. It's just random and the punters are no better at showing any sort of decorium.

Trust me. If you think that a punter who falls in behind you in going to politely wait and point out that others were before him- you will be waiting a very very long time. I have been that mug a few times. Women are the worst for butting in I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Trying not to think of that app-based system they have in the Wetherspoon on Abbey Street. Only a matter of time before that place has a Garda callout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

I knew that. Not sure why I did not mention it. I don't think much of it to be honest. Maybe TfL has spoiled me but this carry on of constantly topping up a card is a bit daft. The infrastructure for electronic payments is there, why not just cut out the middleman.

I've had nice times in Dublin seeing friends as well. It's not exactly Mogadishu but I've never gotten why the city centre has been allowed to look like that. A mate just bought a place in a working class part of Dublin on the red line and was nearly assaulted in his local for watching the match as they thought he was an outsider. Dublin has always had this rough, run down feeling to me.

I would say both cities have their upsides and their downsides. It's interesting that you view London very differently to me. I view it as somewhere with good work opportunities but I'm happy to live on the edge of it. I would be happy to move to another city or town further away from London. Either on the commuter belt in surrounding counties or move completely to another place entirely. There's plenty happening in other places. The size of the city and the commuter rat race aren't massively appealing.

London isn't lacking in its rougher areas. It is perhaps more isolated from the city centre than in Dublin.

I would say both cities have their upsides and their downsides. It's interesting that you view London very differently to me. I view it as somewhere with good work opportunities but I'm happy to live on the edge of it. I would be happy to move to another city or town further away from London. Either on the commuter belt in surrounding counties or move completely to another place entirely. There's plenty happening in other places. The size of the city and the commuter rat race aren't massively appealing.

London isn't lacking in its rougher areas. It is perhaps more isolated from the city centre than in Dublin.

As I've gotten a bit older, I find myself appreciating green spaces and a bit of quiet more. I live in a suburb a fair bit from the city centre near a few decent parks so I'm somewhat insulated from the hustle and bustle.

I'm tempted to move away myself but I feel like I've slipped into a London-centric mindset where other places just feel a bit inferior even though, as I said I do like my quiet time. I'd be tempted by somewhere like Colchester but then there's the commute and the absurd rail fares. The outer boroughs might be an option.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Aegir wrote: »
    A lot of the barstaff in in Ireland seem to be professional bar staff, that's my take on it anyway. People who do it full time for a lliving.

In London bar staff are usually an assortment of students and Aussie back packers.

I know a Publican with a few places in Dublin. He hires for quality and experience. The result was when I went into one of his places thinking "oh no it's rammed and I can't even get near the bar" some lad roared at me for my order over the heads of the people at the bar within seconds and in no time two pints were being passed back to me. I've been served slower in many places when I was the only one at the bar. The barman had multiple orders on the go and all the barmen in the pace were doing the same. Siliarly in England I was served a "Guinness" with a one-part pour into a plastic cup. When I passed it back your man seemed genuinely astonished.

You can train nearly anyone to be that good but it takes time and effort and many places seem to prefer churning low skill short-term barstaff.

We take our pub culture in Ireland for granted but when you're in places that don't have it you can really see it. I was in Kiev and the tourist-facing service industry seems mainly younger educated people who speak English, not a breeze how to work a pub. The keg ran out and three smart girls in their early twenties spent half an hour huddled around it hopelessly before we moved on.

I'd be tempted by somewhere like Colchester but then there's the commute and the absurd rail fares. The outer boroughs might be an option.
    My brother opted for Amersham. Commuting takes a turn for the worse once it goes outside the TFL-controlled areas.

PommieBast wrote: »
    My brother opted for Amersham. Commuting takes a turn for the worse once it goes outside the TFL-controlled areas.

Does he like it? I'd realistically be looking at somewhere in West or Northwest London. Ruislip, Uxbridge and similar.

H. H. Asquith

Does he like it? I'd realistically be looking at somewhere in West or Northwest London. Ruislip, Uxbridge and similar.

It depends where you work, but cross rail has opened up a lot of areas along the M4 corridor as well. Prices have risen accordingly as well though.

Not actually asked him that.. :o

I suspect that if he and his other half did not need to commute into London they would have opted to be a bit further out into the Chiltern Hills. Living near the Met line will have attracted a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

PommieBast wrote: »

I'm outside TFL-land, albeit not too far outside, even with Anglia rail the service is good - it's 60 mins door to door of the office in Mayfair. The worst bit is the price of the ticket.

One thing I do miss is that on any given night in Dublin city, I know where I could go for a late session. I would not have a clue in London.

Also from the age of ~15 we'd be at gigs in any of the city's venues quite a lot, all close together and easily accessible - although I'm sure they're more strict on age of entry these days. If we stay here "forever", our kids won't have anything even remotely near that exposure.

Advertisement