Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever worked/lived in the UK and preferred it to Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭quokula

susieball wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. I wouldn't want to live in London or anywhere around it, including Essex. I spent several years working and in College in Manchester. Really like Manchester and Liverpool. Lived in a lovely village outside Bolton called, of all the strange names, 'Ramsbottom.' I never had much in common with people in the South East/London, but I always felt home in North West UK. Don't know what Leeds is like, but I here it's nice. Have spent time going back and over to Newcastle for work, but still prefer Liverpool/Greater Manchester. Things that I think about - I pay almost 2k a year just for me in health insurance - that will be 3k when I retire in 10 years. My friends who both have excellent jobs in UK - Tech and NHS - about 130k between them - wouldn't even think of having private health insurance. Having said that they pay Council Tax here. Cars are cheaper, insurance is cheaper and some foods. Career opportunities are better in healthcare and allied professions. I don't know if I would want to work in NHS again. I hear there is terrible pressure on staff from all the time I come back and over to UK, but there are lots of opportunities here in allied professions in private organisations, which is really my area of work now. The NHS is bad, but it is nowhere near the basket case of the Irish health service. About two weeks ago, I was chatting to a Doctor/Medical Consultant, who said he would not live outside of Dublin, as however bad Dublin was, he felt the hospitals outside Dublin were atrocious! I don't work in hospitals now in Ireland, but did for about 17 years - what I saw was scary to say the least! I find people in and around Manchester and Liverpool, friendly, polite - probably friendlier than at home in Ireland, of course there are lots of really tough areas in Manchester. I remember working in a nursing home as agency 22 years ago in Gorton in Manchester - we had to have window shutters at night as well as shutters for the doors, and there was spikes along the top of the walls, and a very large security gate, with a security guard - for a nursing home! Whoever said their wife, who works in healthcare, wouldn't return as she finds some of the stuff she heard about the Irish health service really backward, that's true! Almost 20 years ago, when I returned. I was doing a night shift, and the senior nurse, who was about to return, wouldn't let me have the medicine key or give out the medicines, as he felt only senior nurses could/should do that. At that time, to be a senior nurse, you had to be 20 years post qualification. At the time, I had been qualified several years.

I've a chronic health condition and have fared far better with HSE in the last couple of years than with the NHS in the previous 5. Because the housing situation there is so much worse than Ireland and you end up moving every year due to price increases, I was forever being forced to change NHS trusts and GPs, and there was absolutely no communication between them. At one point I had an xray and a diagnosis, but then when trying to follow up the next consultant had no record of the xray, refused to even believe me, and gave me a different, wrong, diagnosis before shoving me out the door with a useless prescription despite my protests.

This was a common theme in the NHS, the only thing any consultant ever cared about was getting you out the door as quickly as possible, which is down to their extreme under-resourcing and waiting time targets with no consideration for actual outcomes.

Since moving home I was able to see a GP immediately when I wanted to (unthinkable in the UK) - it wasn't free of course but I'll take possible over free - and I was eventually able to see a consultant in hospital in about 6-9 months, which is faster than I ever managed on the NHS. More importantly, my actual consultation was far more in depth and it was pretty much the first time it felt like a medical professional was actually trying to help me.

It varies depending on which part of the service you're using of course but the NHS is really on its knees these days and I'm happier to be in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Lived for years in the London area and hate the place, especially the outer swathe which isn't London nor part of the country beyond it, now live in Cheshire and actually prefer it to Dublin, friendlier and have Liverpool and Manchester not far away, which are both friendlier and more cosmopolitan than Dublin. English people in the North West are close to us in temperament and personality in the same way that the Scots and Welsh are.

One better aspect of England is the big population and wider diversity of people, although it can happen anywhere there isn't that level of panoptican paranoia you have in Ireland where you're constantly judged by strangers in the blink of an eye.

Some of the posters and comments here crack me up, loads of Irish people genuinely believe we're further ethnically and culturally removed from the English/British than the Chinese! Over here you're just lumped in with the 'Jocks' and the 'Taffs' and little more attention is given to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

I wouldn't worry too much about that. The difference between the working class people I worked with in the pizza shops and the Middle class people in the public service, was stark. They take class much more seriously than Irish people. The working class shun learning in a way that Irish people would never do. They see learning, education and curiosity about the world as being for 'posh' people.

Even watching a documentary on BBC4 is completely alien to them because thats a channel for 'posh' people. I couldn't believe how rigidly they enforce their perceptions of their own class. And needless to say those people were really uninformed.

But the middle class ones were curious about the world and we're great company.

It was genuinely fascinating to see people completely close themselves off to things because of their own perception of their class.

But saying that doesn't happen here too would be a lie. Facts are facts I think a lot more comments here are feelings/perceptions on the subject rather than facts.

quokula wrote: »
    It varies depending on which part of the service you're using of course but the NHS is really on its knees these days and I'm happier to be in Ireland.

The mythical NHS - sick hearing about it. Anybody that has worked in both the NHS and HSE will tell you it's not all that different these days. In fact the HSE stories in many cases sound better believe it or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

turbbo wrote: »
    The mythical NHS - sick hearing about it. Anybody that has worked in both the NHS and HSE will tell you it's not all that different these days. In fact the HSE stories in many cases sound better believe it or not.

I can't stand the way the Brits bang on and on about the NHS and then vote for the people who oppose its very existance. In its current form, it's a joke and well short of being the envy of the world people here seem to think it is.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    . its a very divided society in a way you do not see in Ireland.

Have you been to any cities in Ireland recently? - They couldn't be much more divided imho. Something I detect in this thread is a massive blindspot for issues effecting Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Have you been to any cities in Ireland recently? - They couldn't be much more divided imho. Something I detect in this thread is a massive blindspot for issues effecting Ireland.

Of course, there are divides here, but they are not the same and not as deep as the UK, watch any of the documentaries on the universal credit in the Uk.

There is fabulous wealth in the Uk the like of which you do not see here despite the fact we are a well of society there is also horrendous poverty of the type you do not see here.

There are real class divisions in the UK of the type you do no see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Ireland has a huge middle class with barely any poor or super rich, not the case in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

I am on holiday again in UK. I went to college here 22 years ago, and only returned to Ireland 19 years ago, as I didn't want to bring up my children here at the time - at that time, you had to buy a house in an expensive area to get a half decent State school - I don't know whether it is still the same. However, I have spent almost 20 years missing the UK. Every time I come back on hols, I still miss it. My career really flattened when I went home. It felt that a lot of the time, though I had really good qualifications and experience, that it was someone who knew someone, who knew someone that got the job in Ireland. I also made some good friends in UK. Hard to get to know them, but once you made friends in UK, they were long-lasting. Much less begrudgery also. Am I seeing it through rose tinted glasses. I still have job offers here. Would like to return when my children start college - both will be gone to college in less than 2 years. Bit scared though about the pension stuff etc. Has anyone else felt the same for many years after moving back to Ireland. Am I seeing it through rose-tinted glasses?

Worked with v decent Brits in London ea

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

I am on holiday again in UK. I went to college here 22 years ago, and only returned to Ireland 19 years ago, as I didn't want to bring up my children here at the time - at that time, you had to buy a house in an expensive area to get a half decent State school - I don't know whether it is still the same. However, I have spent almost 20 years missing the UK. Every time I come back on hols, I still miss it. My career really flattened when I went home. It felt that a lot of the time, though I had really good qualifications and experience, that it was someone who knew someone, who knew someone that got the job in Ireland. I also made some good friends in UK. Hard to get to know them, but once you made friends in UK, they were long-lasting. Much less begrudgery also. Am I seeing it through rose tinted glasses. I still have job offers here. Would like to return when my children start college - both will be gone to college in less than 2 years. Bit scared though about the pension stuff etc. Has anyone else felt the same for many years after moving back to Ireland. Am I seeing it through rose-tinted glasses?

Worked with v decent Brits in London early 80s, loved it as a young guy, anyone over 30 in London in too old,vvvvv fast pace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I can't stand the way the Brits bang on and on about the NHS and then vote for the people who oppose its very existence. In its current form, it's a joke and well short of being the envy of the world people here seem to think it is.

They haven't seen how bad it is yet, and how bad it will become.

I go back to the UK on a semi-regular basis. Some family live over there and as an outsider it is blatantly obvious that it is getting worse over time, especially the last 5-8 years.

Its kinda funny how the conservatives ran a brexit campaign to "take back control" (spew) of the NHS that they fu(ked in the first place..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

So the best way to get people on boards to say good things about Ireland is to get them to compare it to the UK. Good to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Cina wrote: »
    So the best way to get people on boards to say good things about Ireland is to get them to compare it to the UK. Good to know.

Well.. I think they are both fu(ked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It would have to fall verrry far to fall beneath most health systems, globally. I have gone in for surgical consults on a thursday, and been operated on the next day under GA. FOR FREE.

Ah now! I have had that happen here on a medical card, straight from A and E to theatre.. and in the UK waiting lists for non emergency are as bad as here. Waited many months for an "urgent" hysterectomy there.

Each has its faults and its good points

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

wakka12 wrote: »
    Ireland has a huge middle class with barely any poor or super rich, not the case in the UK

Not true re the poor. Have a look at the work food banks are doing now; youtube has reports and at programmes re children in poverty; and the homelessness also

It was not like that even 20 years ago.

NB I would not go back, not ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not true re the poor. Have a look at the work food banks are doing now; youtube has reports and at programmes re children in poverty; and the homelessness also

It was not like that even 20 years ago.

NB I would not go back, not ever.

Relatively speaking we have very few children in poverty here and a bigger middle class. You can't make general statements based on YouTube. I could refer you to YouTube pieces on families living well here and it doesn't mean all are.
    4.5 million children are living in poverty in the UK with a figure of 200,000 in Ireland. That leaves the rate in the UK 2.25 times higher than here per capita.

So, in essence he is quite correct, in the context of this discussion, regarding the numbers of poor.

As a pensioner, I'm glad I'm in Ireland (spent a few years on and off in the UK in the late eighties) and that we reared and educated our children here.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Timistry

Agree with the comments about Leeds above. Great spot, was living there for a year and had the time of my life. People are fierce sound and down to earth. There is a great social scene there. The Dales are only a drive or train away too!

Also, the benefits of UK living now - cheaper cars, food, NHS etc. oh how this will change once Brexit is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Worked and lived in both London & Oz. Hated both places as the commutes were awful.

In London I spent 4 hours a day commuting, and found myself too tired to enjoy all the great stuff London has on offer.

Oz was just a hole, pawn & charity shops everywhere. Everyday racism towards indengious & Asian folks. Also found it prohibitively expensive if you didn't want to live paycheck to paycheck

Work in Clare now, 15 minute commute eachway to work. Manage to save 70% of my net salary. Mortgage repayments are half the price of median rents in my area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Worked and lived in both London & Oz. Hated both places as the commutes were awful.

In London I spent 4 hours a day commuting, and found myself too tired to enjoy all the great stuff London has on offer.

Oz was just a hole, pawn & charity shops everywhere. Everyday racism towards indengious & Asian folks. Also found it prohibitively expensive if you didn't want to live paycheck to paycheck

Work in Clare now, 15 minute commute eachway to work. Manage to save 70% of my net salary. Mortgage repayments are half the price of median rents in my area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭PommieBast

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    What in your opinion is this decline, what manifestations of it did you recognize it by and what are its causes?

Was in a home-town working-class local and someone asked me why I voted remain. I was shouted at to "go back to my own phucking country" before I even finished the first sentence of my response. They were just listening for a few key-words and using them as an excuse to be abusive. I've spoken RP in some pretty rough republican bars around Dublin, and never had any comparable trouble.

The nastiness has some roots in the Blair-era antiterrorist "report it" campaigns that seemed uncomfortable close to the suspicion-mongering in 1930s Germany, but it was the 2008 crunch when things really kicked off. I think it was the "hostile environment" campaign by the home office the normalised unpleasantness but I had buggered off to Oz by that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ghetofarmulous

Worked and lived in Aberdeen and surrounds for about 6 years. I came back to Ireland in 2016. When I think of Scotland I feel homesick. I don’t have love for this country anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Never worked or lived in the UK, but my fiance did do summer jobs there and I visited her there a good few times. I've grown to really like it, I especially love cities like Oxford and Nottingham where you can also be close to the countryside, I'd always be happy to go somewhere in the UK on holiday but in terms of settling down and permanent living nothing will ever beat home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Lived in the midlands of England for a few years, mostly Birmingham, and Bristol for a little bit. The first couple of years in Birmingham were great fun, loved making friends over there, not worrying about the future- but then as time wore on, I realised it was not where I wanted to be, long-term. It’s an ugly city, albeit with nice people, and I missed the sea.

Bristol is much nicer, but it’s a city for young hipsters, and there didn’t seem to be much outside that mould. I did love the variety of places and people in the UK- on weekends I’d go everywhere from Bath, Cornwall, the Peak District, the Lake District, London (a lot!), Scotland, Snowdonia, etc etc. Felt like a greater variety than Ireland.

Took me a while not to feel restless, but I’ve been back in Ireland 3 years now, and can’t see myself leaving any time soon. Love the people, the scenery, being by the sea again. Brexit has also made the UK extremely unattractive for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

mariaalice wrote: »
    Of course, there are divides here, but they are not the same and not as deep as the UK, watch any of the documentaries on the universal credit in the Uk.

There is fabulous wealth in the Uk the like of which you do not see here despite the fact we are a well of society there is also horrendous poverty of the type you do not see here.

There are real class divisions in the UK of the type you do no see here.

We have thee most generous welfare state in Europe, the UK has amongst the slimmest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    We have thee most generous welfare state in Europe, the UK has amongst the slimmest

i dont think people know how low the benefits in the Uk actually are, its a stark comparison to the cushy life some choose here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

i dont think people know how low the benefits in the Uk actually are, its a stark comparison to the cushy life some choose here

Even in social democrat Sweden, you don't get to remain on the same rate continously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Even in social democrat Sweden, you don't get to remain on the same rate continously
    I've been trying to dig up some figures of how benefits compare for someone who has little or no track record of contributions. In France it is some percentage of last salary before losing job, but I am told (hence need citations..) the base-line is pretty miserly even by UK standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Just out of interest, how does someone who loves hiking and had money to buy a house in Dublin get offered a gaff in the city?

I was a Government employed Key worker and worked in central London.

Was in receipt of London Weighting Allowance also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The uk isn't 3 countries, it's effectively 6 and all are very different gravy.

Landan town innit braa'
    Stiffs in the 'dawn saf'
    the sound 'North'
    the other 'North'
    the mad Scots,
    and the weird Welsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

uch wrote: »
    Lived in London around 1990, Absolute **** hole, still is, The North of England however is a beautiful place with lovely genuine people

Second this. Lived in Bradford for a while back in the 90's and then Liverpool. Never really liked the vibe in London any time i went there for work. Maybe that's changed as haven't been in years though.

Advertisement