Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever worked/lived in the UK and preferred it to Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I've been living and working here since 2010 (English wife and 2 kids).

When I see the right wing crap being spouted on the media I would love nothing more than to fill the car up and get back to Ireland.

Do I prefer it to Ireland? Hard to say. There are aspects of Ireland that are better for sure but equally there are better aspects over here.

Sometimes I think what would I do if I woke up tomorrow with no ties (say wife and kids) would I head straight back to Ireland? Truth be told, I probably wouldn't.

The big draw back over here is that there is no community. Everyone lives in their own little bubble oblivious to what happens in the rest of the world. I have been struck by how little the average English gives a **** about the rest of the world.

I am not saying one is better or worse than the other but each place has its good and bad.

Ireland is a small friendly island of 4 million with an overwhelming white & christian population. In a 50 mile radius (West Midlands) of where I am sitting there is a population of 6million.

It must be borne in mind that the UK is a massive country of nearly 70million people that is hugely complex and a melting pot for all different races, religions and nationalities and cultures. TBH you cannot compare Ireland with the UK- they operate on different planes completely.

The one thing about living here is that everything is just hard work. From popping out for a pint of milk to commuting to just going for a pint. It is just hard going- so I can see why people retreat into their own little bubbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

i dont think people know how low the benefits in the Uk actually are, its a stark comparison to the cushy life some choose here

Interesting, I am English and lived much of my life there on disability and there is no great difference here for me. True the pension is lower there but the cost of living here is far higher so that equals out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Graces7 wrote: »
    Interesting, I am English and lived much of my life there on disability and there is no great difference here for me. True the pension is lower there but the cost of living here is far higher so that equals out.

Good for you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I have lived in three countries and in this order I would put them. 1. Spain, 2. Ireland, 3. England. I lived in England for 3 years, it was a shíthole. Funnily enough I have nightmares about the place and how I can never escape.

Nightmares..?

This ....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9NCvSakgR8

Vs this....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji0yG9JHDR8

Votes on the back of a used bus ticket please :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Surely nuance has to be taken into account, the middle class area I live in over here beats hands down the two crap areas of Dublin I lived in with all their attitude, anti social behavior and constant sense of mood and edge.

Likewise, living in Sandymount or Dalkey would be a rather nicer experience than being in Shepherd's Bush or Handsworth.

• Advertisement

dd973 wrote: »

Likewise, living in Sandymount or Dalkey would be a rather nicer experience than being in Shepherd's Bush or Handsworth.

Handsworth...Jaysus. I drove through there recently wide eyed and jaw on the floor. Car doors firmly locked. Another world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭bullpost

Worked in Letchworth, one of the garden cities for a short while - fabulous place - picture postcard pretty and quite friendly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,757 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

bullpost wrote: »
    Worked in Letchworth, one of the garden cities for a short while - fabulous place - picture postcard pretty and quite friendly.

Is it? Garden cities seem like a nice idea. Shame it never caught on.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'm here around 12 years now and there's positives and negatives to it; due to the nature of my job it'll be likely I'll be here a long time more yet.

I genuinely don't understand the stuff about people from the north of England being a more pleasant bunch. From my experience a lot of them have a massive chip on their shoulder and if I've to smile and nod along to someone moaning about how "we're dead friendly compared to down in that London" I'll f*cking scream. Pretty much the only anti-Irish hassle I've had in this country has come from dopey f*ckers from places like Yorkshire with a superiority complex. London is a massive metropolis and there's an impersonal aspect to that of course but the working class of this city are sound as a pound and the best people you'd ever meet; in all their colours and backgrounds.

The one thing that still annoys me is the general British ignorance about their world history; most of them laughably think the British abroad and their impact on the world was generally a positive thing rather than them just looting the rest of us. I remember explaining to people about stuff like collusion with Loyalists or Winston Churchill and the famine in Bengal and people being genuinely confused by it. They don't learn it in school though so not their fault maybe.

I came here at 19 started work as a plant machinery operative working with 20 or so nationalities and loved it, and still love the city for that reason. You meet the most interesting people from all over the world with the most fascinating of backgrounds and stories. And if you're out there doing stuff, you've a million and one things to choose from in the city. But sometimes the pace of the city and all the social issues does get to you, on top of that it is increasingly becoming a city solely for the rich. Rent is massive, independent venues are disappearing and it's turning into a land of Pret a Manger and luxury f*cking flats which is a real shame. Long standing communities are being pulled apart in this process.

Long term I would like to move back to Cork. Less than an hour's drive I can be catching mackerel off the rocks, walking in the mountains or whatever else. The craic and sense of humour at home just can't be beaten really, and maybe home is just home I guess. Ireland is a wonderful country to live in despite the problems around housing and health etc, but we've a whole stack of similar problems here in that regard/

Nobody here can pull a pint with a degree of speed or accuracy either. One pint at a time and no idea of serving in turn etc. "Anybody waiting?" and all that sh*t. Drives me f*cking mad still

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,757 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I adore London. I work in a very multicultural and diverse environment and I think that's class. The city itself is so diverse, interesting and engaging. It's definitely got something for everyone though I'm more of a stay at home person anyway.

The expense of living here though can be chokingly expensive. If you're doing the whole houseshare thing then that's fine until you get fed up of it but then you need a partner if you're going to rent outside of a houseshare. Houseshares do have their positives though and are a decent way to meet people. I've two cousins from affluent backgrounds who've never done it. They're still living at home in their late twenties and early thirties and I think they've missed out.

I've family who've offered to help me buy a flat here. I'm tempted but I don't know if I want to spend the rest of my life here. I do find the attitude of certain people towards work here can be a bit grating and it's a very tightly packed city for the most part though I am trying to figure out a career change and this is probably the best city in Europe for that.

Never bumped into too much of the anti-Irish stuff in the North, only once really from some sort of silly receptionist I used to work with who seemed to be trying to look as much like a H&M manikin as possible. I have developed something of a London-centric mindset though. The rest of the country just seems a bit unappealing by comparison. Same with Dublin I suppose.

Truth be told, I'm tempted move back to Manchester or perhaps to Liverpool, Sheffield or Scotland but.... I don't know. I love how much London just has. I love it more than I could ever love Dublin.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

FTA69 wrote: »
    Nobody here can pull a pint with a degree of speed or accuracy either. One pint at a time and no idea of serving in turn etc. "Anybody waiting?" and all that sh*t. Drives me f*cking mad still

It's fuppin' criminal. I'm used to it in pubs at this stage but I was at a gig out in Southend last year, they were doing the same craic at the venue. Getting to the bar must have been 10 deep, the whole way along. I think there was only 3 types of beer on tap and ne'er a pulled pint ready before it was ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

This!

11 years and I still get mad at this. Lad in front orders 2 Guinness, so you say "stick 2 more on for me too" and you get told "I serve one at a time". Useless shítes.

I have nearly got into fights over this.

Bar staff are atrocious. One drink at a time and at a very slooooow pace.

You must be rude to get served and like hell anyone will point out that you were there beforehand.

Problem is that complaining is a no go as you will just get ignored.

Truth be told, I'm tempted move back to Manchester or perhaps to Liverpool, Sheffield or Scotland but.... I don't know. I love how much London just has. I love it more than I could ever love Dublin.

I have heard a lot of good things about Leeds and Bristol.

I have heard a lot of good things about Leeds and Bristol.

I've only been to Bristol the once. Seemed nice but I figure it's just as expensive as London. Leeds has a decent city centre but it's got a mixed reputation. I'm not too fussed as employment is my primary concern to be honest.

H. H. Asquith

I'm moving to stupid Milton Keynes in a few months for love.

I think Liverpool is the only gaff I've been to outside London that I didn't dislike. The people there are genuinely sound.

I think Liverpool is the only gaff I've been to outside London that I didn't dislike. The people there are genuinely sound.

I really like the Scousers. They're very extroverted English people but I'm not entirely convinced that they're not putting at least some of that accent on.

H. H. Asquith

I am stuck in a staunch Conservative & Brexit voting 99% white middle class affluent area of the West Midlands. It is so fcuking mind numbingly dull- the biggest scandal atm that Waitrose is shutting. Nigel the retired accountant who has shopped there for 45 years is "furious".

The soundest person I know with any sort of personality is from Liverpool. Even I have become a boring saddo...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I've only been to Bristol the once. Seemed nice but I figure it's just as expensive as London.
    A big down-side of Bristol is the highly transient population. Great place as a student, but the few years I worked there I do not look back at with any fondness.

• Advertisement

PommieBast wrote: »
    A big down-side of Bristol is the highly transient population. Great place as a student, but the few years I worked there I do not look back at with any fondness.

Sounds the same as London to be honest. It has a cat pub though.

H. H. Asquith

Long term I would like to move back to Cork. Less than an hour's drive I can be catching mackerel off the rocks, walking in the mountains or whatever else. The craic and sense of humour at home just can't be beaten really, and maybe home is just home I guess. Ireland is a wonderful country to live in despite the problems around housing and health etc, but we've a whole stack of similar problems here in that regard/

When you fancy a change from catching mackerel and drinking beer, you’ll soon realise that there is **** all else to do and going anywhere interesting involves at least one change of flights. Forget having a good cheap curry as well.

I can’t wait to move back to England. It’s nice in Ireland, but I’m bored of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've been to MK a few times for work. Strange place. Kind of laid out in blocks like a miniature American city. I'm sure there are dwellings somewhere but all I saw were offices. . . .blocks and blocks of offices.

I've heard Leeds is brilliant but my mate who says so was an actual pro footballer there so it's not exactly your average punters lifestyle he describes to me. I was a broke student for that period so didn't make it over to sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Lived in London for about 6 months in the 90s. All exciting and new then it slowly revealed what the people are like. Simply Londers are rude, racist and angry all the time.

I then travelled for work to the UK every week for about a year but up North. I found them to be nicer there but still very racist. They also had a huge chip on their shoulder about southerners.

Went over briefly to London and found the place was much worse than before but now with added armed police. One thing about Britain is there bars are sh*t and the staff that work in them barely able to do their jobs. Asked for a whiskey and the barmaid didn't know what was whiskey by brand names. When I clarified Irish whiskey she went to give me scotch. Have to order one drink at a time or they get confused.

Sounds the same as London to be honest. It has a cat pub though.

London is like that definitely. You’ll have friends here for a year, two years, five years etc and they either move back to their own country or somewhere else. You might be in a gaff with friends nearby and a year later they’re all living across the city and realistically you rarely see them again because ye’re an hour away from each other and they’ve kids or whatnot. You’re making plans to go for a pint two months in advance which is a pain in the hole. People are mad flaky here too because of that kind of thing. The appointment you made to go for a pint because you’re knackered or forgot etc.

London is like that definitely. You’ll have friends here for a year, two years, five years etc and they either move back to their own country or somewhere else. You might be in a gaff with friends nearby and a year later they’re all living across the city and realistically you rarely see them again because ye’re an hour away from each other and they’ve kids or whatnot. You’re making plans to go for a pint two months in advance which is a pain in the hole. People are mad flaky here too because of that kind of thing. The appointment you made to go for a pint because you’re knackered or forgot etc.

Yeah. That's depressing. I'm in a decent houseshare at the moment and have befriended a few of the people in the house. An Italian lad left early last year and we've seen him once. Even seeing my aunt in north London means 3 hours spent on public transport over the weekend.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Used to spend a good bit of time there but dont miss it. People arent easy going at all and very afraid of crime suspicious that you are trying to screw them in some way when you're just being friendly. No community spirit, everything is run by massive conglohommerates , all the towns are clone towns. Full of cliques, the scummers, the poshies, every subgroup of immigrants, the bitter pensioners trying to survive on 60 quid a week, the woke arty crowd. This was south London maybe the rest of the country is better but not from what Ive seen so far

Oh yeah. Everything is hard work and people need written notice at least 2 months in advance to do anything. And then watch everyone gradually make their excuses not to go- my English wife even has this problem with lifetime friends and family. I just cldnt be arsed anymore.

Oh yeah. Everything is hard work and people need written notice at least 2 months in advance to do anything. And then watch everyone gradually make their excuses not to go- my English wife even has this problem with lifetime friends and family. I just cldnt be arsed anymore.

maybe people are trying to tell you something?:D

• Advertisement

Aegir wrote: »
    maybe people are trying to tell you something?:D

Lol....yeah I saw that reply coming a mile away. My wife is just as bad for it.

Advertisement