Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury II - February 22nd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭squinn2912

walshb wrote: »
    This is called objective and reasoned...

Debating it from all angles. Giving reasons for win/loss for both men...

Like I said, beats the pathetic substanceless’ one liners, like “Fury beats him easily.”

Ach well yea give me that over zero thought posting.

Kinda missing my point. He could afford to go at it hard because he could see that Wilder was on the point of exhaustion, otherwise one would assume he would have paced himself a bit more.

More augmenting your point. Of course he played it as he saw it but he also changed things up resting and leaning. Everything he did weakened wilder. As much as I’m a Fury supporter I feel a bit sorry for wilder. Similar to how I felt for Foreman in Rumble. Both hopelessly outsmarted

• Moderators Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭x PyRo

x PyRo wrote: »

That has got to be a piss take

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

he must have some weak legs if 45 pounds effects him that much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    Updated heavyweight rankings:

4 - Deontay Wilder
    3 - Anthony Joshua
    2 - Tyson Fury
    1 - Deontay Wilder’s Costume

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I wasn’t paying that much attention to Fury, or boxing, in the earlier part of his career but he didn’t seem to get the usual hype that British heavyweights receive. I assumed he was just another large, talentless Brit until I saw him fight Klitschko. His defensive skills are exceptional, innate and peculiar - very difficult to overcome. The recent acquisition of a more aggressive style calls to mind Marvin Hagler’s transformation, but it’s something else again to do that when training to face one of the most destructive punchers ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Wilder is saying he will remove his 2nd trainer Mark Breland for throwing the towel in. Ridiculous to be getting rid of the only man in your corner who is/was concerned about your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,671 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Draw
    That, and his tailor....

Apparently the outfit he wore to the ring wore him out!

Eid: I see someone beat me to it on this excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Ardillaun wrote: »
    I wasn’t paying that much attention to Fury, or boxing, in the earlier part of his career but he didn’t seem to get the usual hype that British heavyweights receive. I assumed he was just another large, talentless Brit until I saw him fight Klitschko. His defensive skills are exceptional, innate and peculiar - very difficult to overcome. The recent acquisition of a more aggressive style calls to mind Marvin Hagler’s transformation, but it’s something else again to do that when training to face one of the most destructive punchers ever.

The British media were all over David Haye back then, they didn’t wanna know Fury.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    The British media were all over David Haye back then, they didn’t wanna know Fury.

Cause he's not black that's why. British media are racist ****s.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Draw

There was a reason Tyson used to say some very outlandish things that where honestly totally wrong and in todays world he'd be in trouble, From outlandish claims about gay people to everything else you could think of ,

He even said these things before first Wlad fight , Sky and other channels didn't want to touch him with a barge pole , its the sole reason his Wlad win never got the media attention it deserved at the time,

He wasn't managed well people around him didn't understand the media game or public persona at all just the fight game but thankfully that has changed and he matured and reinvented himself ,

Remember likes of AJ came into the pro game with a huge team around him telling him what to say and when , Fury came in with his dad and Uncle ,travellers who knew how to box but knew little about the politics of the media .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    Throwing in the towel was probably the correct call but at the same time I was surprised by it with so much on the line. Also Wilder just needs 1 punch to end it and he wasn't suffering major damage at the time.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

There was a reason Tyson used to say some very outlandish things that where honestly totally wrong and in todays world he'd be in trouble, From outlandish claims about gay people to everything else you could think of ,

He even said these things before first Wlad fight , Sky and other channels didn't want to touch him with a barge pole , its the sole reason his Wlad win never got the media attention it deserved at the time,

He wasn't managed well people around him didn't understand the media game or public persona at all just the fight game but thankfully that has changed and he matured and reinvented himself ,

Remember likes of AJ came into the pro game with a huge team around him telling him what to say and when , Fury came in with his dad and Uncle ,travellers who knew how to box but knew little about the politics of the media .

The rough traveller image always scared the media away as well I thought. He’s managed to polish that into some sort of persona and now he even has the American fans on his side. Nobody even talks about his drugs ban anymore.

Throwing in the towel was probably the correct call but at the same time I was surprised by it with so much on the line. Also Wilder just needs 1 punch to end it and he wasn't suffering major damage at the time.

Cmon now he was bleeding out of his ear I’ve seen fights stopped by doctors for less never mind the towel being thrown in by the corner. I was surprised Wilder was even let fight on after sitting in his corner with his eyes closed, we could have had a Gerard McLellan situation on our hands.

Draw
    Wilder was an accident/tragedy waiting to happen..

Fury commented on Wilder being very tired. He was. And was becoming a sitting duck..

Very safe and humane and fair call..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,062 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cmon now he was bleeding out of his ear I’ve seen fights stopped by doctors for less never mind the towel being thrown in by the corner. I was surprised Wilder was even let fight on after sitting in his corner with his eyes closed, we could have had a Gerard McLellan situation on our hands.
    He wasn’t bleeding out his ears. His ear was cut externally. That’s not even remotely similar.

That were reasons to stop it. The blood wasn’t one imo.

Draw
    Mellor wrote: »
    He wasn’t bleeding out his ears. His ear was cut externally. That’s not even remotely similar.

I wonder did they know at the time it was cut ? Could it be possible they where not sure at the time in the ring ,

After they had a torch having a good look in there having a debate with the doctor ,

Watching it live could you tell his ear was cut? When somebody gets dropped with an ear shot and blood starts streaming from his ear I think most people are gonna think the same thing.

Draw

I was thinking this, too. People were claiming that he was bleeding from inside his ears, which was not the case at all.

• Advertisement

I wonder did they know at the time it was cut ? Could it be possible they where not sure at the time in the ring ,

After they had a torch having a good look in there having a debate with the doctor ,
    They may or may not have. Depends how closely they looked during the fight. And whether or not the blood flow conceal the cut.
    You expect them to have had a good look though. To be sure, flush it with water etc.

I was thinking this, too. People were claiming that he was bleeding from inside his ears, which was not the case at all.

I thought he’d burst an eardrum the fact he couldn’t stand up straight was only backing that up more. If it was a cut to the ear then my mistake. It was some right hand from Fury.

Draw
    I was thinking this, too. People were claiming that he was bleeding from inside his ears, which was not the case at all.[/QUOTE

I think there is some confusion on this,
    They said externally but it was at the entrance of the ear canal , So that the question did they know at the time it wasn't from inside

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

They could have thrown in the towel in the 5th and there wouldn’t be many complaints. That punch was never coming or at least never connecting properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

The blood from the ear coupled with his sudden loss of balance and composure on his legs made many think that he'd bust his eardrum. The fact that it turned out to be just a cut is a relief from one perspective, and from another it shows that his loss of balance and composure must have been due only to the weight of the punches Fury was landing. I don't think anyone could blame Breland for stopping the fight, and I'm surprised that Wilder is getting rid of him because he made the correct call.

It's ego gone mad, he's convinced he could have fought on and that his chance of victory was stolen from him. The fact he could hardly stand at that point doesn't seem to have entered his head, I've no doubt if they went into another round that Fury would have knocked him out - or worse, done him some serious damage.

Breland isn't some amateur in the corner, he was a world champion himself and he could see that Wilder wasn't going to last.

Draw
    The blood from the ear coupled with his sudden loss of balance and composure on his legs made many think that he'd bust his eardrum. The fact that it turned out to be just a cut is a relief from one perspective, and from another it shows that his loss of balance and composure must have been due only to the weight of the punches Fury was landing. I don't think anyone could blame Breland for stopping the fight, and I'm surprised that Wilder is getting rid of him because he made the correct call.

It's ego gone mad, he's convinced he could have fought on and that his chance of victory was stolen from him. The fact he could hardly stand at that point doesn't seem to have entered his head, I've no doubt if they went into another round that Fury would have knocked him out - or worse, done him some serious damage.

Breland isn't some amateur in the corner, he was a world champion himself and he could see that Wilder wasn't going to last.

There are loads of video's of current pro's of all different weights watching the fight to see there reaction and a number of them from round 5 on are saying throw the towel in he is done,

Dillian Whyte was one of them a guy who himself loves a war , he was saying watching the fight his team need to throw the towel in he was generally concerned , Its clear as day it was the right thing to do ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

There are loads of video's of current pro's of all different weights watching the fight to see there reaction and a number of them from round 5 on are saying throw the towel in he is done,

Dillian Whyte was one of them a guy who himself loves a war , he was saying watching the fight his team need to throw the towel in he was generally concerned , Its clear as day it was the right thing to do ,

And they were all right. Even as a viewer, there comes a point when a guy is staggering around a ring taking punches and he's barely coherent, and it's uncomfortable to watch. I think Wilder is convinced it was going to be like one of the Rocky movies where he would make a huge comeback at the end of the beating.

Watching it live could you tell his ear was cut? When somebody gets dropped with an ear shot and blood starts streaming from his ear I think most people are gonna think the same thing.

It’s irrelevant whether I or anyone watching on TV could tell. We’re taking about the corner, doctors etc who literally inches away.
    He was out on his feet when it was stopped. Unable to actively to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,695 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Wilder blaming the outfit he wore walking into the ring, saying it was too heavy!

Clutching at those straws are we, ah yeah!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    Who won the fight?

Advertisement