Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

KCross wrote: »
    Go underground? Cutting a channel isn’t a big deal really.

If you can tell me how to cut a channel across a concrete yard without leaving a big scar mark across it, I'll jump at that plan.

Otherwise, please see previous comment on the cost of divorce.

I don’t think 2 inverters would be the way to go. Cost would be too high for what it would give you.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭championc

Use an angle grinder to cut a 1" wide slot, drop in some plastic conduit and re-cement the slot. Run the DC cabling through the conduit

championc wrote: »
    Use an angle grinder to cut a 1" wide slot, drop in some plastic conduit and re-cement the slot.

And leave the aforementioned scar across the concrete. I'd love to, I'm all about practicality.

But her indoors is all about looks (well she did marry me after all). And a big line cutting across the concrete ain't happening.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    And leave the aforementioned scar across the concrete. I'd love to, I'm all about practicality.

But her indoors is all about looks (well she did marry me after all). And a big line cutting across the concrete ain't happening.

It sounds like you are only considering going the shortest distance between the two points. Maybe consider running three sides of a square ? You're bound to have a seam between two sections somewhere, that could be made slightly wider ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It sounds like you are only considering going the shortest distance between the two points. Maybe consider running three sides of a square ? You're bound to have a seam between two sections somewhere, that could be made slightly wider ?

Just dont tell her about it and get it done some day she isnt there and she probably wont even notice! :D

• Advertisement

Just dont tell her about it and get it done some day she isnt there and she probably wont even notice! :D

Trust me, she'd notice.

Manys a bet I've lost because of her eye for detail.

Got a new stove in last year, sat watching TV and she's distracted. It's a big living room, couch over 4m from the stove.

I asked what was up, she said that stove isn't centred. I argued that it was. Eventually I went and got a tape measure to prove her wrong...

It was 2mm off centre on the side she said it was. 2 feckin mm of a difference, from 4m+ away.

Plus he claims I'll save a grand per year:

Electricity Savings: 4,585kWh
    Electricity Savings/year: €848
    Water Heating Savings/year: €150
    Total Savings/year: €998

^^^ wtf?

Received this explanation of the figures:
    installer wrote:
    1074kWh/m2 x 4.4kWp x 0.95 (capacity with 4.8kWh battery) x 1 (overshading factor) = 4,585kWh/year x 0.185 (average unit rate) = €848/year

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Tradnuts

Got an ‘over the phone’ quote today from a northern company that a fellow boardsie recommended.

12x 340w panels= 4.2kw system
    1x 4.8kwh battery
    1x Solis hybrid 5kw inverter with WiFi dongle
    1x iboost for immersion

Didn’t get a full cost breakdown until I have a site visit and proper quote.

€9500 minus grant.
    Price to me installed €6500.

Had a brain fart regarding the problem of getting power from garage to house.

I have a cctv camera on the garage. The network cable for that comes out the far side of the garage (through an old vent), goes around the side of the garden all the way around to the side of the house. In through a hole in the end of the house, up through a duct into the attic and into the cctv recorder.

The installer can follow that same route with a power cable to enable:
    *Zappi installation
    *splitting panels between garage and house
    *battery storage

Had a brain fart regarding the problem of getting power from garage to house.

I have a cctv camera on the garage. The network cable for that comes out the far side of the garage (through an old vent), goes around the side of the garden all the way around to the side of the house. In through a hole in the end of the house, up through a duct into the attic and into the cctv recorder.

The installer can follow that same route with a power cable to enable:
    *Zappi installation
    *splitting panels between garage and house
    *battery storage

So this route must have been suggested by her 😂

• Advertisement

So this route must have been suggested by her 😂

Sort of, it was the result of a hard negotiation. The concrete at that side of the house is only a few feet wide so I was able to negotiate a duct there for fibre broadband (3mb Eir was killing me slowly), and I then used it for the cctv cables to the garage and the gate. Fortunately I haven't given in to her year long nag to fill in the track yet, lol.

Installer says I'll need:
    2 x two core flat flex .75mm
    2x 4mm solar cable

I have a spark in at the minute doing some cabling for lights etc as we're dry lining the wall that those cables come in through so I'll get him to put ducting up the wall now to future proof in the event that I do get a solar deal done.

What's the norm for warranty on inverter, battery & panels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

What's the norm for warranty on inverter, battery & panels?

The company I went with extended the warranty to 10 years for the inverter, its normally 5.
    Battery is 10 years and the Panels are 25 years.

BER is included in the price as well.

I have ranted and raved about this company because they are a pleasure to deal with and do exactly what they say.

For the record i'm just a very happy customer, which is rare these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭tech

Whos the company
    MAULBROOK wrote: »
    The company I went with extended the warranty to 10 years for the inverter, its normally 5.
    Battery is 10 years and the Panels are 25 years.

BER is included in the price as well.

I have ranted and raved about this company because they are a pleasure to deal with and do exactly what they say.

For the record i'm just a very happy customer, which is rare these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Tradnuts wrote: »
    Got an ‘over the phone’ quote today from a northern company that a fellow boardsie recommended.

12x 340w panels= 4.2kw system
    1x 4.8kwh battery
    1x Solis hybrid 5kw inverter with WiFi dongle
    1x iboost for immersion

Didn’t get a full cost breakdown until I have a site visit and proper quote.

€9500 minus grant.
    Price to me installed €6500.

Ask for the price with only one battery and with no battery.

Sort of, it was the result of a hard negotiation. The concrete at that side of the house is only a few feet wide so I was able to negotiate a duct there for fibre broadband (3mb Eir was killing me slowly), and I then used it for the cctv cables to the garage and the gate. Fortunately I haven't given in to her year long nag to fill in the track yet, lol.

Installer says I'll need:
    2 x two core flat flex .75mm
    2x 4mm solar cable

I have a spark in at the minute doing some cabling for lights etc as we're dry lining the wall that those cables come in through so I'll get him to put ducting up the wall now to future proof in the event that I do get a solar deal done.

If you have any form of good relationship with that sparks, you could always consider going the DIY non-grant type route.

All that's needed is that the sparks is named on your NC6 form sent to the ESB, along with all details of your proposed installation. Once you get the nod, you and your sparks could then install the whole thing. The only difficult part is attaching the mounting brackets on the roof

Latest quote:
    18 JA panels (6.12kwp)
    Solis Hybrid inverter
    Pylon 2.4kWh battery
    Solic 200 hot water diverter
    Zappi charger
    Monitoring kit

€11k, minus €3.6k grants, €7,400 net. Plus I can sell my old Rolec charger.

10 years warranty on the inverter, 10 on the battery, 10 year manufacturers warranty on the panels + 25 year efficiency warranty (not sure what that means)

BER not included though.

If you have any form of good relationship with that sparks, you could always consider going the DIY non-grant type route.

Don't know the spark that well. He did some work on the bathroom but he was brought in by the tiler doing the job. His work on the bathroom was good enough that I brought him back for the bedroom, but I wouldn't say I have much of a relationship.

I'm still awaiting one other company to quote, they're going to price me direct, no grants.

Don't know the spark that well. He did some work on the bathroom but he was brought in by the tiler doing the job. His work on the bathroom was good enough that I brought him back for the bedroom, but I wouldn't say I have much of a relationship.

I'm still awaiting one other company to quote, they're going to price me direct, no grants.

Sorry, I should have clarified more - you don't need to "know" the sparks. Any registered sparks can do the NC-6 form. But he may be worth asking if he's interested in quoting to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Tradnuts

garo wrote: »
    Ask for the price with only one battery and with no battery.
    Yes, will do.
    Good advice, thanks

• Advertisement

Any difference/preference on water diverters?

Eddi, iBoost, Solax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

py wrote: »
    12 * JA Solar 340W panels
    2 * 2.4K Pylon Tech battery
    Solis invertor
    Iboost

€6,600 after grant.

Any thoughts?

This is for a S-SE facing house. Family of 4, with myself likely to be based 100% WFH going forward. The other 3 are school based so they'll be at home when school is off. No electric vehicles and unlikely to be for 5+ years.
    gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Did you get that quote from the crowd I sent you on?
    My set up for 7000e after the grant is:
    Solis Hybrid inverter 5kw to future proof extra panels later date and wifi dongle for inverter app
    -4.8KW battery ( 2 x Pylontech batteries)
    -14 panels JA solar 310W on a west facing roof
    -Iboost water heater for immersion
    -Zappi car charger untethered and myenergie hub.

Have been doing more thinking on this. I'd likely stick with the 3.6kw inverter they've quoted me and wait until it eventually fails. If/when that happens I'd look at upgrading to a larger inverter and then add panels at that stage, which will hopefully be ~10-15 years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Any difference/preference on water diverters?

Eddi, iBoost, Solax.

If your are getting a Zappi I would stick with Eddi purely from a support and test perspective.

Other than that, are you sure you want/need one at all? They are not cheap so unless you use ALOT of hot water it’s a dubious investment.

If your are getting a Zappi I would stick with Eddi purely from a support and test perspective.

Other than that, are you sure you want/need one at all? They are not cheap so unless you use ALOT of hot water it’s a dubious investment.

Her indoors does use a lot of hot water alright. The company I'm closest to booking use the Solax 200. Which is odd as they also install the Zappi.

On a separate note, some questions. Apologies in advance if these are entirely thick.

*is it correct that the most panels I can have on a single inverter is 6.5kw? I've been told that going any bigger needs a 3 phase inverter. I had considered putting 6.1kw on the garage and then adding another 2kw on the house at a later date.

*this is the probable stupid question. I'm looking at the spec of the inverter, Solis hybrid 5kw RHI-5K-48ES. It says that the maximum input is 6.5kw which is grand as my panels would be 6.1kw. But it also says that the max charging rate is 3kw.

I take it that the 3kw is how much it can send to the battery at a time? There is no limit on how much it can output to the house (if I was running every appliance and car charger available).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Yes the 3kW refers to the max battery charge/discharge rate. The limit for the house is the headline inverter capacity.

Note its not just the max input wattage you need to be concerned about but also the max voltage and current. Depending on which panels you use, that can be different.

garo wrote: »
    Note its not just the max input wattage you need to be concerned about but also the max voltage and current. Depending on which panels you use, that can be different.

Thanks

Panels are JA 340w.
    Inverter is Solis RHI-5K-48ES

Well...

My latest quote is 6kwp JA panels, 2.4kWh battery, Solax water diverter, 5wk Solis hybrid inverter, tethered Zappi charger, plus the usual monitoring etc.

€9.9k total

€3.6k in grants (solar + charger)

€6.3k net.

What's the story on the grant, how long does it take to come through? I need approval before I can proceed yes?

Installer says he can slot me in within 2-3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,071 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Well...

My latest quote is 6kwp JA panels, 2.4kWh battery, Solax water diverter, 5wk Solis hybrid inverter, tethered Zappi charger, plus the usual monitoring etc.

€9.9k total

€6.3k net.

I think that's the best deal we have seen in this thread so far. Nice one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Well...

€9.9k total

€6.3k net.

Is that the crowd I sent onto you? Better deal than I got off them! Need more panels i do! Well done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement