Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,076 ✭✭✭✭unkel

phester28 wrote: »
    I could fit one or two south as well but it complicates a dual string and may not pay for itself

It might add value if you do so and if you include those on one of the other strings, probably best on the west string. All of the panels in either string will need optimizers though. Although I'm no expert on this, maybe someone who is can confirm or not.

I added a single east facing panel with optimizer to my west facing string (which with just 3 panels was borderline too small for my inverter) and it did make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭py

12 * JA Solar 340W panels
    2 * 2.4K Pylon Tech battery
    Solis invertor
    Iboost

€6,600 after grant.

Any thoughts?

This is for a S-SE facing house. Family of 4, with myself likely to be based 100% WFH going forward. The other 3 are school based so they'll be at home when school is off. No electric vehicles and unlikely to be for 5+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

py wrote: »
    Solis invertor
    Iboost

€6,600 after grant.

Any thoughts?

This is for a S-SE facing house. Family of 4, with myself likely to be based 100% WFH going forward. The other 3 are school based so they'll be at home when school is off. No electric vehicles and unlikely to be for 5+ years.

Did you get that quote from the crowd I sent you on?
    My set up for 7000e after the grant is:
    Solis Hybrid inverter 5kw to future proof extra panels later date and wifi dongle for inverter app
    -4.8KW battery ( 2 x Pylontech batteries)
    -14 panels JA solar 310W on a west facing roof
    -Iboost water heater for immersion
    -Zappi car charger untethered and myenergie hub.

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Did you get that quote from the crowd I sent you on?
    My set up for 7000e after the grant is:
    Solis Hybrid inverter 5kw to future proof extra panels later date and wifi dongle for inverter app
    -4.8KW battery ( 2 x Pylontech batteries)
    -14 panels JA solar 310W on a west facing roof
    -Iboost water heater for immersion
    -Zappi car charger untethered and myenergie hub.

Yup, same crowd and it's initial quote without me doing any haggling. Should've added that it includes monitoring. I did ask about upping the inverter to a larger one and they gave a me an approx number but said they'd come back to me.

That's an excellent deal, py. Possibly the best deal we have seen here based on the changed subsidy system that is in place now. I wish the moderators would let you just share what company that was with. Rather than get a barrage of PMs and posts here from people wanting to know just that.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    That's an excellent deal, py. Possibly the best deal we have seen here based on the changed subsidy system that is in place now. I wish the moderators would let you just share what company that was with. Rather than get a barrage of PMs and posts here from people wanting to know just that.

Thanks, I personally think it's a good deal too. What I'm struggling with now is the best way to calculate the repayment time. Any thoughts on best way to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Solis invertor
    Iboost

€6,600 after grant.

Any thoughts?

You should consider getting a quote without the batteries and hybrid inverter and see what you get. You should be able to get it under €5k (if not from that company, another company).

Thanks, I personally think it's a good deal too. What I'm struggling with now is the best way to calculate the repayment time. Any thoughts on best way to do this?

Near impossible to get an accurate calculation as there are so many assumptions. If we get a FIT of about 5c within a year or so and your opportunity / financing costs are near zero and the electricity price is staying the same and you chance a few habits in your house to make the most of your PV (without having to micro manage it either) then you are talking roughly 13-15 years.

And before you let that figure disappoint you, do consider that this represents a return on your investment of around 7%. Your money in a savings account would make you less than 1%. And it's not only money that matters here

And of course once it has paid for itself, it should continue to make you significant money over many decades to come (well the panels will, the inverter and batteries will have to be replaced at some point, but this is an easy job)

KCross wrote: »
    You should consider getting a quote without the batteries and hybrid inverter and see what you get. You should be able to get it under €5k (if not from that company, another company).

Why would I drop those particular items from the install? Reduced payback period?
    Near impossible to get an accurate calculation as there are so many assumptions. If we get a FIT of about 5c within a year or so and your opportunity / financing costs are near zero and the electricity price is staying the same and you chance a few habits in your house to make the most of your PV (without having to micro manage it either) then you are talking roughly 13-15 years.

And before you let that figure disappoint you, do consider that this represents a return on your investment of around 7%. Your money in a savings account would make you less than 1%. And it's not only money that matters here

And of course once it has paid for itself, it should continue to make you significant money over many decades to come (well the panels will, the inverter and batteries will have to be replaced at some point, but this is an easy job)

Thanks for that. I'm going to have to do some figures up on a spreadsheet and see what I come out with.

Why would I drop those particular items from the install? Reduced payback period?

No harm to get a quote for a non-battery install from the same supplier and publish it here. KCross reckons it will have a reduced payback period. He might be right but there won't be much in it either way, there is a lot of extra subsidy for a battery system

If pay back period is the most important criterium for you, you should consider a (part) DIY install not through the SEAI subsdiy scheme too. My own first install (DIY) had a pay back period of about 5-6 years

• Advertisement

If pay back period is the most important criterium for you, you should consider a (part) DIY install not through the SEAI subsdiy scheme too. My own first install (DIY) had a pay back period of about 5-6 years

Not necessarily the most important criterium but I need to be able to explain it to other people at home where the money is going. DIY install is out of the question, I wouldn't feel comfortable that high up on a roof tbh.

Not necessarily the most important criterium but I need to be able to explain it to other people at home where the money is going.

Absolutely. And to yourself. Everything in this world costs money and spending your money is always a matter of trade offs and priorities. It's important to understand the costs and the savings, even if it is not your highest priority for it to pay back for itself in x years

I see people boasting online (not so much here on boards) that they have this new PV system that they had installed for 14k and how great it is and how much money they reckon it will save them (based on what the installer has told them) and my whole head turns into a massive facepalm :p If only they knew their real savings were far smaller than they were told and the payback period of their system is probably: never!

Yes.
    The grant changed this year and you get less for a battery this year than you did last year. It pushes the payback on the battery out even further than it was already.

Your payback on the battery will be 15yrs+. Thats to break even! The warranty is 10yrs on the battery. One issue with the battery or the hybrid inverter and your ROI is completely shot. The chances of that happening are not insignificant. Lets say you get 20 years out of them.... you've only got 5yrs of making money and then all of that will have to be invested back in to get a new battery or inverter.... it wont pay for itself... imo. Lots of folks on here dont agree with me so do your own research.

He might be right but there won't be much in it either way, there is a lot of extra subsidy for a battery system

There isnt really. The extra subsidy is swallowed up by the battery, inverter and labor costs and the battery subsidy has been reduced this year.

Just to reiterate, as it was another thread I posted on, I have a quote for a 4.3kWp system with no battery, no diverter using a 5kW Solis inverter and JA Solar panels and Garo switch gear for ~€4500 after grant.

That's €2k+ less than py's quote. Do the math py, is all I can say before you sign that cheque.

Do the math py, is all I can say before you sign that cheque.

+1

Also the likely / possible / impending (depends on who you listen to) feed in tariff favours a non-battery install for pay back calculations...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭paulbok

Where is the FIT figure of 0.05 coming from?
    I had read somewhere it would be half the unit cost price but nothing solid to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭phester28

Its all specualtion as there is no crystal ball. I got a leflet from ESB about the rollout of smart meters and my reading of it is long term we will have a multi tier charge for electricity. So like the states it could be 50 cent per kwh during the "peak" time for a few hours and then different rates at different times depending on peak. This would also play into the greens agenda or trying to use more of the green power for a flatter usage pattern

Some places in the USA have already hit the USD10 per kWh briefly :eek: Unlikely we will hit those type of extremes caused by a fairly pure capitalist system though :p

But I've been saying for years we could (and should!) have a system based a lot more on real time open market electricity prices. Which means the price of a unit might well vary between €0.01 and €1.00 within the next few years (when more renewables come on stream). You might even get paid to take electricity. This has already happened in the UK. But Ireland is as usual a good few years behind.

paulbok wrote: »
    Where is the FIT figure of 0.05 coming from?
    I had read somewhere it would be half the unit cost price but nothing solid to back it up.

I would say it's based on the UK's rate of ~5p that I've read about in places.

It's just speculation, nobody knows. I like using a low figure as an example as it will be very unlikely the rate will be as high as it was the last time we got a feed in tariff (of 19c), for a handful of people who had micro generation at home. So not to get people's hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭paulbok

Trying to calculate my usage, using around 17-18kW a day at the moment.
    Does that seem high for this time of year?
    Although,
    Two adults at home, I'm wfh and the missus is on maternity leave but will also be wfh. Two kids at home full time for now but will be in creche/school in the autumn, so probably have the dishwasher and washing machine on at least 3 runs a day between them and oven on a lot. Tvs on all day two.
    No heating atm hot water off the oil.

Have elec heating in the office (nothing else feasible) that was built since December so while not on now, will drive that up in the winter.
    Possibly looking at 7500kwh at least for a year (~€1350 just on usage costs) . If I can save half that from solar
    Easily a 10 year payback, probably quicker.

• Advertisement

paulbok wrote: »
    Possibly looking at 7500kwh at least for a year (~€1350 just on usage costs) . If I can save half that from solar

You can't save half of that from solar. Unless you get a big system with a massive battery. Then your payback will be much more than 10 years.

To give you an idea, to produce half of what you use, you will need a 4kwp system. That's ok. A big system, but not that expensive these days. The problem is then using what you produce. A lot of it will be generated when you don't need it. You can store some of it in a battery, but this is expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fillum

Hi all,

Got a recommendation of a fellow member here for a solar company, prices were less than the 2 other companies I'd gotten quotes for. They just finished up the job today and did a great job.

4.1 kw system
    Solis inverter
    4.8kw battery (2 x 2.4)

If anyone needs more info, feel free to PM.

How much did you pay after all the subsidies?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fillum

6k. As a comparison, I was getting quotes for €6,750 from 2 other large companies for a 3.1kw system with no battery

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

Thanks for that. I'm going to have to do some figures up on a spreadsheet and see what I come out with.

Hi Py I built a spreadsheet there a few months back. Should cover it all including replacement of batteries etc and a good few assumptions which you can amend yourself. Garo I think posted it for me on the 2018 thread page 216/7/8.

My install was completed earlier in the week. 3kw SE no battery no diverter 3,700 incl grant

Yes.
    The grant changed this year and you get less for a battery this year than you did last year. It pushes the payback on the battery out even further than it was already.

Your payback on the battery will be 15yrs+. Thats to break even! The warranty is 10yrs on the battery. One issue with the battery or the hybrid inverter and your ROI is completely shot. The chances of that happening are not insignificant. Lets say you get 20 years out of them.... you've only got 5yrs of making money and then all of that will have to be invested back in to get a new battery or inverter.... it wont pay for itself... imo. Lots of folks on here dont agree with me so do your own research.

There isnt really. The extra subsidy is swallowed up by the battery, inverter and labor costs and the battery subsidy has been reduced this year.

Just to reiterate, as it was another thread I posted on, I have a quote for a 4.3kWp system with no battery, no diverter using a 5kW Solis inverter and JA Solar panels and Garo switch gear for ~€4500 after grant.

That's €2k+ less than py's quote. Do the math py, is all I can say before you sign that cheque.

The grants are due to reduce more again this year as the FIT comes onboard.

Better to make use of the grant that is there to be honest and self install extra stuff like more batteries and panels. I do agree the install fees are ludicrous. The guys are.taking home 5/6k euro every installed kit for 2 days work according to my figures pricing everything. Peas me off that all grant systems in Ireland the installers get the kick back not the consumer...there are a lot more installers now from NI as the grant system is completely gone and FIT is gone also and people are not going for solar anymore. Best of luck anyways hammer the sales guys.as much as possible.

fillum wrote: »
    6k. As a comparison, I was getting quotes for €6,750 from 2 other large companies for a 3.1kw system with no battery

I was also getting quotes of 14k from other big companies for the same setup some even after the grant...

Gazzler82 wrote: »
    Hi Py I built a spreadsheet there a few months back. Should cover it all including replacement of batteries etc and a good few assumptions which you can amend yourself. Garo I think posted it for me on the 2018 thread page 216/7/8.

My install was completed earlier in the week. 3kw SE no battery no diverter 3,700 incl grant

Found it thanks. You might explain the rows (some are self explanatory) to me in simple terms if you get a minute :)

System Size
    Degradation factor
    annual deg factor
    Cost incl grant (minus fig)
    % Used
    Start enegy cost (in cents)
    energy cost increase (% in decimal)
    FIT (in cents)
    FIT increase per annum (% in decimal)
    Discount Rate
    Energy use increase (%indecimal)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

10 panel, 3.5kw system with hot water diverter, cost to me just under 5800 inc vat.
    Price excludes 2 ber inspections. Thoughts?

Waiting on other quotes

• Advertisement

oakshade wrote: »
    10 panel, 3.5kw system with hot water diverter, cost to me just under 5800 inc vat.
    Price excludes 2 ber inspections. Thoughts?

Waiting on other quotes

Poor value, others have quotes for around €6k inc a battery and more panels.

Add about ~€200 for your BER as well as that is a requirement to get the grant so you have to include it in your calculations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement