Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I wouldn't say this is being robbed but is a bit on the high side. Is your install any way complicated? Are the panels being split on two sides of the roof? Is the cable run long? For that price - and without a battery - I would be looking for a few more panels. If they throw in 2-3 more panels free then it's beginning to look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

Thanks,Install should be straightforward, no issues , 11 panels seems to be max on that face of roof as its a hip roof , that quotes was for 10 panels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭championc

Your best bet is to go with SaaS for 7 panels and negotiate the additional 3. In 3 months time, you can always just buy out the deal and fully own it, or get the 7 panels from them for 2400, and DIY the last 3 panels after buying it out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It seems that there is a mix of people buying systems outright, or using solar as a service. Why choose one over the other. Can anyone please direct me to a list of benefits and downfalls for both?

I went DIY route. I got no grant and got a mate Sparks nominated on the NC6. Obviously cheapest option of all, and know my system inside out.

SaaS with a grant will bring the system close to DIY costs, but without the hassle of getting up on your roof, or getting the NC6 signoff, etc. Also, no need for a wedge of cash up front, and the cost per month like the cost of a Netflix sub

Standard install only worth it if you can get the price per kWp down under €1000, and planning a system larger than 3kWp

In my opinion, the difficult choice is whether to go pay SaaS per month, or buy it out. Only worth buying out if you want to extend the system I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

Quotes Include Vat but exclude €1800 grant

Dublin based. Do these seem high? 

Nowhere near the rule of thumb of €1k for 1KW 

Thoughts welcome - I wanted to also look at Solar as a service options but no replies yet from any supplier.

10 x340W JA Solar Panels 3.4kWp

Solis PV Invertor

Solis Monitoring Kit

EDDI Hot Water Diverter

Total price including VAT: €6,700

10 x340W JA Solar Panels 3.4kWp

SolarEdge PV Invertor

SolarEdge Monitoring Kit

SolarEdge 5kW Hot Water Diverter

Total price including VAT: €7,800

10 x340W Q-Cell G8+ Panels 3.55kWp

SolarEdge PV Invertor

SolarEdge Monitoring Kit

Total price including VAT: €8,700

10 x355W LG Neon Solar Panels 3.55kWp

SolarEdge PV Invertor

SolarEdge Monitoring Kit

Total price including VAT: €9,500

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Thank you for the reply. I haven't thought of the size we would require. I'll have to look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Treppen

New to all this, but got first quote of €4,000 (including grant)

• 7 Panels + 1 solar inverter on South West facing roof.
    • 2,56Kwp
    • 2,403 KWh

An extra panel if I signed up !

There was also a water heater option for another €1,500, not sure if I'm pushed too much as we have a tank fed electric shower (but could change as we are renovating bathroom).

Am I on the right track?

I could stretch for more panels but they'd have to go on the other side of the roof

Could someone PM details of any SAAS providers they have used/recommend please. Might be the good option for me but there is so many paid ads for solar i'm struggling to find people that actually provide this service. Thanks in advance!

Well @SouthWesterly got about 3.5kWp for about €3.2k from SaaS (my*****.or I think) and you could just buy it out straight away.

Utterly bonkers quotes which could never in their lifetime pay for themselves.

I think people should just ask for panels quotes. You can then addon, and see what the add-ons are costing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I have tried to get them itemised and seems to be impossible!

SaaS appears to be the most transparent of pricing ways to get solar. And if you only want 10 or so panels, you can haggle for the three above their fixed price for the first seven panels.

You can easily add an Eddi or whatever later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Treppen

What's SaaS ?

Is there a thread to learn basic definitions like SaaS kwp , kWh and Eddi?

Solar as a Service Lots of companies seem to be offering that but the one everyone here is referring to has a deal which is 19.99 a month. There is a Solar Tips etc thread so fee free to ask there for the other terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭embraer170

Could someone PM the name of the Solar as Service companies they have used?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Got 3.24kw and negotiated a group deal on extra panels which we paid for upfront.

We got 8/9 panels depending on orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭rameire

Another Quote.

10 x 400w (4kw) = 3,900 ( 1k per kw )

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Now your talking.

Any hot water divertor. BER included?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Would appreciate your views on quote below please. Dublin based. South facing roof.

10 x 400w panels (4kWp) + 3kW Hybrid Inverter + 5kW battery + Eddi.

€11,850 inc VAT, less SEAI grant of €3,000 for total of €8,850.

Would appreciate PMs from other users with other recent Dublin based quotes.

Read the last 20 or so posts and you'll get your answer !!!

Just thinking, my 3.6kWp will generate about 3.0MW this year, so at 10c average per kWh, that will be a saving of €300 per year

Therefore, if I use every bit of my generation, and export nothing, in 10 years I will save about €3k (based on current pricing).

The bigger the system, the less your self usage will be.

So I suppose, if you spend over €1k per kWp (minimum of 3kWp), then your payback will be heading well north of 10 years.

Or am I wrong on my calculations ???

The inverter is to small for a starter, should be 5 to 6kw and its about €2000 ish too much

My setup was 16 panels 4.8 kw, a 7 kw battery a water divertor and a 5kw inverter.

I got it on the old grant of €3800, €8500 after grant. Two years ago.

I have added 4 more panels since the installation

Post edited by MAULBROOK on

Where do you get the 10c average? Also electricity prices are going up a fair bit so I think that shortens the payback.

But your numbers are about right. I have a 4.8kWsystem and I calculated 450 EUR saved last year - a bit more due to WFH. My prediction was 420 when I got the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭rameire

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Scoopsire

Hi rameire, could you PM me the installer pls?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I know it's obvious but the biggest determining factor in Payback is the initial outlay.

I'd just get that as best as possible and then do your math on monthly/annual savings, don't cheat if you use night rate and accidentally work up savings based 100% on day rate.

I'm trending to very close to 9 year payback at present but that will reduce if electricity costs keep going the way they are.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

My projected payback time was 14 years when I got my system two years ago. Commissioned 2 years this Saturday. The payback has come down slightly (not a huge amount) since I got an EV. But the rising electricity prices have probably shortened the payback some more. All this assumes zero cost of money because the payback is spread out over many years. But then a short payback wasn't the primary reason for getting solar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Hi there.

Trying to get my head around this entire topic. Can anybody PM the SaaS company that most people seem to be using?

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement