Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Class

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Irish average level of disability: 5%

Limerick Regeneration level of disability: 15%

It's hard to fathom that certain areas are triple the national average.

Could be using a social disability metric.

Rodin wrote: »
    I hadn't realised it was a 5 year stretch in the joy.
    Take some ownership of your life and stop expecting the state to look after you.

Incisive riposte to something I, of course, never said. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tjdaly

Mother is a university lecturer, dad worked as a day laborer. Honestly, when it comes to women though, I like them trashy (I hope that's not disrespectful).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

The class thing is all a bit embarrassing really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Think working class people work on a low wage, eg supermarket,s ,
    taxi driver,s security gaurd , eg jobs that do not require 3rd level education.
    if you work in a office you are middle class.Of course plumber,s carpenters earn more than nurse,s or teachers ,so it cannot be just defined by income .Entry level retail workers would be working class .There,s working class and middle class in america too.
    if you drive a van or a truck you are working class .
    Its to do with education too, many jobs will only accept people who have degree,s even if its simple office work.
    if you work in journalism , media, pr, tech you are middle class .
    there s plenty of middle class people who have less money or a lower income than a plumber or a brick layer .
    If you live in a council local authority housing you are working class .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Yeah actually, what class are people getting 40k in benefits a year?

They have lots of disposable income but it's all free money.

Actually, a certain attitude comes with that too unfortunately. My family have all worked and owned their own houses and recently my aunt married a man with two kids from a previous relationship,

The two kids mum has been on social welfare her whole life and has been given a big gorgeous house out in a nice area in dublin for essentially free from the council.

The two kids, despite their mum being on sw and getting everything handed to her - look down on others and think they are the 'posh' ones :o

They've actually sneered at my aunt when she said she was buying her own home in finglas, because they don't realise yes they live in a lovely area but that's because it's from the council!

Shocking attitude tbh.

Anyone here on boards identify themselves as working class?

Would your career/income/educational background match the traditional views on working class, and if not, why do you consider yourself to be working class?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Anyone here on boards identify themselves as working class?

Would your career/income/educational background match the traditional views on working class, and if not, why do you consider yourself to be working class?

I identify as working class.

No, my career, income and education don't match the traditional views, but I went in a very different direction to most of my family because I had big dreams about travelling, working abroad, etc. Went to a good university with lots of middle class (and posh) people, got a Master's, didn't earn big money because I graduated into the recession but spent a few years working abroad and learning new languages/cultures. Now I make alright money (not loads, but could potentially make a lot more if I stick in this career path).

I still consider myself to be working class because of my background and upbringing. I haven't had any of the advantages middle class people usually have like educated parents, good schools, growing up in a nice place, family connections, etc. My mentality is still very much working class. I have a scarcity mindset, I worry a lot about money and the future and security far more than any of my middle class friends. I don't think I'd ever be able to not be upset about breaking a laptop/phone or anything else expensive, or order food/drink out without carefully considering the price or get a taxi/Uber home instead of the bus on a regular basis, or any of the other things my friends do without batting an eyelid.

I identify as working class.

No, my career, income and education don't match the traditional views, but I went in a very different direction to most of my family because I had big dreams about travelling, working abroad, etc. Went to a good university with lots of middle class (and posh) people, got a Master's, didn't earn big money because I graduated into the recession but spent a few years working abroad and learning new languages/cultures. Now I make alright money (not loads, but could potentially make a lot more if I stick in this career path).

I still consider myself to be working class because of my background and upbringing. I haven't had any of the advantages middle class people usually have like educated parents, good schools, growing up in a nice place, family connections, etc. My mentality is still very much working class. I have a scarcity mindset, I worry a lot about money and the future and security far more than any of my middle class friends. I don't think I'd ever be able to not be upset about breaking a laptop/phone or anything else expensive, or order food/drink out without carefully considering the price or get a taxi/Uber home instead of the bus on a regular basis, or any of the other things my friends do without batting an eyelid.

But you went to a good university..

you can be middle class and not live in a nice place. I'm from Athlone, when Athlone was one of the biggest ****holes in Ireland (with the crime to match), and family connections have never helped me with anything beyond a place to crash for a few days. My parents and siblings all constantly worry about money, or paying the mortgage (my parents have paid their mortgage off but my siblings haven't), and they worry about what the future might bring that will screw them further.

TBH I'm struggling to understand how you're working class. Or your perception of what us middle class people are like. Most middle class I know would be concerned with all the things you listed. I went to Sligo IT, and then Athlone IT. Hardly exclusive colleges, and not even university standard. I didn't go to a university until I was a mature student and went back on my own steam.

I do find it interesting the way people in Ireland perceive the differences between working class and middle class like there's a huge difference. There doesn't seem to be. Sure, there are working class people on the lower end of salaries struggling to make ends meet, but many of the posters here are describing situations far different than that. Perhaps it's different in Dublin, but in the rest of the country, the difference isn't that large.

Advertisement