Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will men get liberated from gender roles?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Do you think he looks ridiculous?

It's all cultural brainwashing. High heels and skirts were originally worn by men.

That picture is from a completely different time period, so it’s out of context when you attempt to compare it to modern society. That style was acceptable among royalty or nobility in 17th century France. Ordinary Frenchmen would not have been dressing like that. Simply put - he still looks ridiculous even then.

High heels and skirts have never generally been worn by men btw, and it’s your own attempt at historical revisionism which is faulty, not mine in pointing out that your thinking is about three centuries out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Nothing odd about not liking men who dress like women. It's just not tolerated by our society. If you want to dress like a woman then go for it, but I will consider you mentally ill or an attention seeker.

What about Scottish men wearing kilts? Or African men wearing traditional robes. Is that OK by your standards? Why/why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Why does it have to be accepted? Every culture has it's norms, break them at your peril.

I'm sure if I lived in an African tribal society and began acting in a freakish and outlandish way I'd soon be ostracized.

Why not? Boy wears skirt - what actually is the problem with that? Women had to stick their necks out when they first started wearing trousers. Now nobody blinks. So that changed. Cultures aren’t static. Men used to be the ones wearing high heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Nothing odd about not liking men who dress like women. It's just not tolerated by our society. If you want to dress like a woman then go for it, but I will consider you mentally ill or an attention seeker.

I mean a non-trans man wearing tights and high-heels would be rather odd. And I couldn't give a wet, scuttery one what you consider me, as we're on the subject. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Why not? Boy wears skirt - what actually is the problem with that? Women had to stick their necks out when they first started wearing trousers. Now nobody blinks. So that changed. Cultures aren’t static. Men used to be the ones wearing high heels.

No they didn’t. About the same proportion of men wore extended heels as the small minority of men who do nowadays. There were practical purposes for the extended heel at the time which became something of a fashion item among the upper classes in medieval society.

A modern day example would be Tom Cruise wearing high heels to give himself an extra bit of height and someone coming across the footage two centuries later, drawing the conclusion that men must have worn high heels back then.

• Advertisement

Cos to me it looks freakish and unnatural. Why am I obliged to tolerate everything?

And yes cultures change, maybe in 500 years it will normal for men to dress like girls but that won't affect us.

Nah, you don’t have to like or tolerate it. Do you think you should be able to express that dislike to the person wearing the offending clothes? If so, why?

But you do care what I think or else you won't be trying to change my beliefs.

Change your beliefs??? Oh Jesus...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Because it disgusts me. If you want to dress as a women then fine but you are not owed my tolerance.

Oh right. Yeah they talk about snowflakes and I usually roll my eye. But being that upset by someone else’s clothing is pretty weak in my opinion. But I’m not asking you do to anything.

Yes I should. Why should I not be able to express an opinion?

Yes, everyone is very precious about the importance of their opinion these days.

You wouldn’t go up to a man in a skirt and say something. Hey, keyboard warrior! What up?

Yes I should. Why should I not be able to express an opinion?

Of course you can express your opinion, but a man wearing a skirt is none of your business and in the real world your opinion might just buy you a shot into the mouth! :D

• Advertisement

If you think I'm weak then fine, dosen't bother me. But why do you need my acceptance?

I already said I’m not asking you to do anything. So... I’m not asking for your acceptance.

But I was amused by your post. Where you said it’s fine for other people to wear what they want so it kinda sounds to me that you’re tolerating them unbeknownst to yourself.

I already said I’m not asking you to do anything. So... I’m not asking for your acceptance.

But I was amused by your post. Where you said it’s fine for t’other peep to wear what they want so it kinda sounds to me that you’re tolerating them unbeknownst to yourself.

I was trying to agree with one of his posts a minute ago and he branched to Fishkill as well, I don't think there's much point. :D

All I've asked is that people explain why it's so important to them that I tolerate men who wear women's clothes.

No one will answer my question.

It isn't important to me at least, but I am curious to know what you intend to do about it if you won't tolerate it - challenge them to umbrella fencing?? :D

Exactly. The guy in drag is probably mentally unstable so best to avoid him. Glad we agree.

No, a man wearing a skirt is different from a "guy in drag".

I'm not going to do anything except avoid them. Thankfully our society does not tolerate cross dressing so I don't have to deal with them.

Why do my opinions bother you so much?

Are you marooned in East Limerick in 1958 due to some sort of spacecraft malfunction??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Brian? wrote: »
    You know you can be concerned by multiple things at once?
    I come across as a bit weird to some people. Sometimes I view myself negatively. In my case it is because of autistic traits rather than gender-related ones. But I guess it's similar to what other people might feel if they don't naturally fit how they are supposed to be. Not wanting to trivialize other people's experiences, but tbh I just deal with that.

I also have a son and a house. If I were to be told I couldn't live in my house with my son any more - that wouldn't be something I would be able to "just deal with". It would have a vastly, hugely, incomparably greater impact. So my view is that when it comes to gender roles affecting stuff, this is the biggest thing to address.

Of course the people who shout the loudest about it are people who have been affected by it. That means they're often pretty angry and sometimes might have developed resentment towards women. So they don't engender as much sympathy as they might, and might even get dismissed as misogynistic manosphere types. (I'm sure there is a crossover.) Much easier to concern yourself about the harmless seeming effeminate types than angry middle aged men.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

No that " nobody knows what feminism is any more" is not the problem.with what I said. You're entire post referred to feminism. What men's issues needs is a push to address men's issues. If the solution to men's issues was to whinge, piss and moan about feminism. then men's issues would have been solved in no time.

But the way to actually solve men issues is to campaign to change those men's issues.

You said that many prominent feminists on boards are supporters of issues facing men...that is simply untrue (with the odd exception) , that is what my post was addressing...

As you mention it, it is my belief, that along with a number of vital issues, the continued existence Women's Council of Ireland is an issue facing men in today's society...either abolish it or establish a Men's Council would be my view.

Another issue is the persistent shaming of men/male behaviour by feminists across media and to a lesser extent politics and it's impact on young males in particular...it is grotesque.

Well you challenged my beliefs so something I said has affected you.

And no, I don't want to be around men who dress like women. What's wrong with that?

Having such a strong opinion and being so easily upset by other people's clothes is interesting to me but I'm not worried about it.

I don't mind who you want to be around.

How do you know I wouldn't? If the guy who sits beside me in work came in one day in a dress do you seriously think I wouldn't say 'man, why are you dressed like that?'.

If they were a friend, possibly. If not, no. I used to work with a guy who frequently wore tight shiny gold cycling shorts to work. This was in a government agency. Nobody said a thing to him. He didn’t breach the dress code so it was nobody’s business.

As jimgoose said, flap your gums if you want but it won’t be well-received, rightfully, because it’s none of your business.

You literally just said if I questioned why the man was wearing a skirt he might respond with physical violence. You've proven my point.

As for your point, what's the difference?

I've "proven" sod-all. And the difference is, a man wearing a skirt is a man wearing a skirt, and a man in drag is a man in drag, which is a rather more elaborate affair.

• Advertisement

You said that many prominent feminists on boards are supporters of issues facing men...that is complete garbage, that is what my post was addressing...

As you mention it, it is my belief, that along with a number of vital issues, the continued existence Women's Council of Ireland is an issue facing men in today's society...either abolish it or establish a Men's Council would be my view.

Another issue is the persistent shaming of men/male behaviour by feminists across media and to a lesser extent politics and it's impact on young males in particular...it is grotesque.

Still you only respond in terms of feminism. If only this Whinging about feminism helped men's rights, it would be great. But it doesn't, so it isn't.

The only way men will have a men's council is if men band together to campaign for it. Whinging about feminism is an important pass time for some bloke's on Boards, and it's also completely beside the point of positively campaigning FOR solutions to men's issues.

That's the key. Everything else is just recreational gender wars stuff.

Mate you literally said the guy in drag would punch me in the face merely because I asked him why he was in a skirt!

Unless you're hopelessly naive, you know as well as I do that going up to strangers in the street and asking them why they're dressed as they are could possibly get you a thump. Trying to generate "but... but... he said any man wearing a skirt will attack me" out of that is at best a tad disingenuous.

I'm not naive at all. I know full well that the guy in drag might be unhinged and that a single question might be enough to provoke him into violence. Hence I avoid men like that.

So you tolerate them.

I avoid them. Since a single question could set them off that's probably a good idea!

I think you should probably "tolerate" most people, given the way their mode of dress is inclined to bother you. :D

Why can't we complain about feminism? I have many issues with feminism.

Complain away. Just acknowledge that it’s completely separate from soling men’s issues. And then bang away with the recreational gender wars stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Still you only respond in terms of feminism. If only this Whinging about feminism helped men's rights, it would be great. But it doesn't, so it isn't.

The only way men will have a men's council is if men band together to campaign for it. Whinging about feminism is an important pass time for some bloke's on Boards, and it's also completely beside the point of positively campaigning FOR solutions to men's issues.

That's the key. Everything else is just recreational gender wars stuff.

You really don't like men who have an issue with feminism do you...it's like you can't compute how anyone can think differently to you...

This is an online forum, where ordinary folk get to discuss the topic of the day...none of us are changing the world!!!

I believe that feminism is negatively affecting young men and young women for different reasons, you don't...it's fine to disagree.

Why don't you just state your opinions instead of being passive aggressive?

You have a problem with me. That's fine.

Not at all. I'm amused though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Why does my lack of acceptance affect you so badly? I'm just one guy on the internet.

But your belief represents a sizeable majority in society who think that men look ridiculous in dresses.

If everyone started wearing it, wouldn't it look "normal" and become accepted after 20-30 years?

Why does my lack of acceptance affect you so badly? I'm just one guy on the internet.

I'm a sophisticated AI written by merry pranksters at MIT specifically to prowl the Internet persuading random fellas to start wearing a skirt. Occam's Razor, and all that.

• Advertisement

And if the same guy came in dressed like a school girl? Or a toddler? What if he came into the office in high heels and a skirt?

I don’t know if you’ve ever seen what shiny gold cycling shorts look like on a person but it’s pretty high up the ridiculousness scale. You’re trying to top it but it’s hard to do. Apart from at Halloween, who of any gender would dress as a schoolgirl or toddler in work? And if he wore high heels and a skirt and didn’t breach the dress code, I’m confident that nobody would say anything. In the same job, as I’ve already detailed before, a man who worked in my company transitioned to a woman and dressed as one. I never heard anything about harassment. I can’t say that nothing was ever said but as the company took a supportive stance, it wouldn’t have been allowed. But based on my experience with gold cycling shorts dude, who I did work with alongside, I suspect nothing was ever said. Believe it or not, most people live by “live and let live”. If it doesn’t encroach on the rights of others, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Talk is cheap. You say you would comment. Easy to claim that on an anonymous message-board.

Advertisement