Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uninsured driver hit my parked car. What to do?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Any updates on the TT?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Update.

All sorted. Accident Damage repaired as well as all the other accumulated alloy kerbings, bonnet dents and keyings, rear bumper damage etc.

Remember when the only thing I had to worry about was a parked car being damaged?? Car came out of the Bodyshop to a different world than when it went in. Puts things into perspective. Funny Old World!!

506471.jpg

506472.jpg

506473.jpg

506474.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I do hope you treat it to a detail and ceramic coating.... Absolute beaut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Delighted for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Dang, there's a good news story in all the gloom. I can't explain but I'm genuinely happy for you, internet stranger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

How much did it cost the parents?! Id say hes still on the naught boy list

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Delighted it worked out for you OP.
    Here's to many years of safe and happy motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

TheW1zard wrote: »

Yes the event might be the best life lesson the son ever gets, could keep him on the straight and narrow for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Yes the event might be the best life lesson the son ever gets, could keep him on the straight and narrow for life.

And away from Daddy's car for a long time to.

• Advertisement

TheW1zard wrote: »

Estimate I gave them was €4750 and the mum transfered €4800. Just gave her my IBAN and as they were with AIB too the transfer was instantaneous. My final invoice from ACE was €5100 because I got them to refurb the 13 years of kerbings on the other 3 Alloys, take out dents and keying on bonnet from 2015 and respray it and some small rear bumper damage from 2009. Was quoted €500 for that extra work so if you subtract €500 from the €5100 invoice it means the accident repair work came in at €4600 which also includes a new alloy whereas the original estimate was for alloy repair. In effect the parents ended up paying €200 of my extra work €500 bill.

Thats what I said to the mother in our last communication. ie. if there was a positive to be taken from all this, it would be that it was better for her son to have a scare like this and a big lesson learned now where no one got injured, than for his first big scare that would put him on the straight and narrow being a big accident that injures or kills him or others.

Terrible timing in hindsight. If the damage he did to his dads car cost a similar amount to mine, he just cost his parents the guts of 10 grand mere weeks before a Global Pandemic and Recession that may cost his parents their livelihoods. His dad works abroad and could be stranded abroad now for the forseeable. A 10 grand hole in their finances is something I'm sure they didn't need at this time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Car looks well, im glad it worked out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Calibos wrote: »
    Update.

All sorted. Accident Damage repaired as well as all the other accumulated alloy kerbings, bonnet dents and keyings, rear bumper damage etc.

Remember when the only thing I had to worry about was a parked car being damaged?? Car came out of the Bodyshop to a different world than when it

Fantastic result

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I wouldn't park it that close to the Fiat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

looks great and it all worked out well in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I wouldn't park it that close to the Fiat :)

I think a trip to Specsavers is in order.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

pablo128 wrote: »
    I think a trip to Specsavers is in order.:pac:

Not really in to cars, thought it was a Fiat

Well it didn't remain pristine for long!!

Already been Keyed again.

Thought I posted my concerns earlier in this thread but can't find it so it may have been my post on the Audi TT forums. Anyway, I semi-jokingly said that I left the car dirty because anytime I cleaned it, it was like a shiny object to the local magpies (ie Scumbags) and attracted attention. EG, Lose wing mirror from a kick......after a cleaning, those bonnet dents and previous keying......within days of a cleaning etc. I said that I was worried that the car would come back from the bodyshop looking like new and attract the magpies again. I was a little less worried when the car came out of the bodyshop to a strange new world with no Pubs open and less chance of drunks on the way home from the boozer causing some vehicular damage on their way home for the craic.

Only took just over a week as it turns out for some cnut to key the passenger side door down to the white undercoat.

On the one hand I think I've done well with the car parked on a public street for 12 years and 'only' incured the previous loose kicked wingmirror, bonnet dents and keying which ultimately cost me €300 to repair On the other hand it still stings that there are cnuts like that out their that see a shiny clean car and decide, "I'll ruin this guys day for a laugh"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would love to key their face....

• Advertisement

Had another look at it in the cold light of day just there.

Hmmm. Maybe I jumped the gun on accusing scumbags. Could have been a kid and feckless inattentive parent.

The Bum imprint on the bonnet actually looks like a hand brushing off the dust in a series of arcs and the scratch on the passenger door is just below the crease line about scooter handle height relative to the pavement.

Most of the scratch is down to the white undercoat and while its 6" and 2" sections within a 12" span its thinner and tapers and fades into a clearcoat scratch on the ends. A keying would start deep, stay deep and end deep I imagine. I think a touch up pen combined with its location just under the crease line will make it barely noticeable.

That'll teach me to be such a careful parker finishing with my wheels 2" from the kerb. Gonna put some distance between the side of the car and scooters on the path in future. Ideally I'd park in a Drive-way....but I don't have one....so I can't.

Like I said, in the grand scheme of things, in the span of 12 years, one kicked loose wing-mirror, one bonnet denting and keying and one side swipe while parked on a very busy road thats also a main pedestrian access road to the towns main Bar/Pub strip, isn't bad going all things considered. I have to look on the brightside.

I have to look on the brightside.

ALWAYS.

You've now moved onto the Acceptance part of grief :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

Damn, thats a pain in the ass. I was only admiring your car the other day as I passed by. I live very close .... also drive a TT. Unfortunately where you park is a bit risky but sounds like you have no option I guess.

dsaint1 wrote: »
    Damn, thats a pain in the ass. I was only admiring your car the other day as I passed by. I live very close .... also drive a TT. Unfortunately where you park is a bit risky but sounds like you have no option I guess.

Is yours the Pearlescent Black MkII S-line? Been admiring that one myself. LOL.

Like I said, in the grand scheme of things I guess I've done OK malicious or accidental damage wise considering its been parked on a busy road for 12 years. People must think I don't give an F about the car because its so dirty most of the time but I learned my lesson each time it got so bad that I decided to do a full detail polish and wax...and then had a wing mirror nearly kicked off the following weekend and a few years later after the next big detail had the Bonnet damage and keying the weekend following.

ie. You're going to see it get progressively dirtier over the following weeks/months. LOL. Urban Camouflage if you will. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

Is yours the Pearlescent Black MkII S-line?

No, mine is a Daytona Grey Mk3 S-line.

TBH I did think you were neglecting it a bit previously but I can understand your logic now ;) Shame that you have to go the "urban camo" route to stop attracting the local scum as it looks stunning now all clean and polished.

Advertisement