Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Personally I would say yes absolutely go for it. Someone will be along shortly though to say the opposite.

Haha ya I've seen both arguments online so I'm not sure then for obvious reasons!

What would be the pros and cons in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

So im defined not a Samsung fan boy and have had my issues in the last few years. But this is the first time I've been impressed with it as a complete phone. The camera is excellent, Samsung cameras in the past always had issues say capturing details in anything other than blazing daylight. The updates are coming thick and fast every month. And one ui is great. Ive no complaints. And I always have something to complain about with every phone ive owned.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    So im defined not a Samsung fan boy and have had my issues in the last few years. But this is the first time I've been impressed with it as a complete phone. The camera is excellent, Samsung cameras in the past always had issues say capturing details in anything other than blazing daylight. The updates are coming thick and fast every month. And one ui is great. Ive no complaints. And I always have something to complain about with every phone ive owned.

Thanks for the feedback! Is it the plus or ultra you have?

Heard people where having issues with the camera and even issues with having to protect the lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Hearing a lot of mixed things about these phones. I'm currently on the s9+ wouldn't mind an update but it's not essential just yet.

Would the s20+ be worth the money compared to what I've got?

I dunno what to make of the ultra at that price it seems a no go.

I got the S20+ coming from S10...only for the free Galaxy buds and €500 trade in price, I wouldn't have went for it.

Read previous pages. Most people including myself feel scammed

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I got the S20+ coming from S10...only for the free Galaxy buds and €500 trade in price, I wouldn't have went for it.

Read previous pages. Most people including myself feel scammed

Thanks ill have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Thanks for the feedback! Is it the plus or ultra you have?

Heard people where having issues with the camera and even issues with having to protect the lenses.

Sorry i actually just have the regular S20.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Hearing a lot of mixed things about these phones. I'm currently on the s9+ wouldn't mind an update but it's not essential just yet.

Would the s20+ be worth the money compared to what I've got?

I dunno what to make of the ultra at that price it seems a no go.

I had and still have the S9+ and sent the S20 back as I didn't feel it was much of an upgrade, and the speaker quality was much worse.

I had and still have the S9+ and sent the S20 back as I didn't feel it was much of an upgrade, and the speaker quality was much worse.

Thanks for the reply!

Ya considering the price it seems there are more negative things being said then positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Am I the only one that a random wiki page of some old times person keeps popping up alot of the time when I unlock my phone? Is this anything to do with Bixby being installed, why would any phone/software ever implement the loading of random wiki pages? Its quite annoying at this stage, I installed new browser and same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Am I the only one that a random wiki page of some old times person keeps popping up alot of the time when I unlock my phone? Is this anything to do with Bixby being installed, why would any phone/software ever implement the loading of random wiki pages? Its quite annoying at this stage, I installed new browser and same thing.

Sounds like you've got malware on your phone. Do a full reset in the phone and don't install from your backup.

Has anyone found the need to get a protector for the camera lens?

I bought a Spigen tough armor case https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B082LNHFG8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for my s20 plus is that enough or?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Madio Sane

I currently have a Galaxy S7 which is pretty clapped out at this stage. I've been looking at various options for a new phone. I've been looking at the S10 and S20 mostly. I am thinking that paying that bit extra for a 5G enabled model so it is future proofed for 5G's more comprehensive rollout.

I've read some of the takes and the feedback seems mixed here. I am leaning towards the S20 or S20+. Is it worth paying the bit extra for the S20+ in your opinion? Any comments are welcome.

Madio Sane wrote: »
    I currently have a Galaxy S7 which is pretty clapped out at this stage. I've been looking at various options for a new phone. I've been looking at the S10 and S20 mostly. I am thinking that paying that bit extra for a 5G enabled model so it is future proofed for 5G's more comprehensive rollout.

I've read some of the takes and the feedback seems mixed here. I am leaning towards the S20 or S20+. Is it worth paying the bit extra for the S20+ in your opinion? Any comments are welcome.

Coming from an s9+ to the s20+ im very happy so far!.

Anyone receive the May security update on their S20,+, yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

1jcdub wrote: »
    Anyone receive the May security update on their S20,+, yet?

Yeah got it on may 2nd

jones wrote: »
    Yeah got it on may 2nd

I'm on Vodafone. I believe the S20 plus is SIM free.
    Nothing yet for my phone

Anyone else with any of the S20 models experiencing their Samsung or Chrome browser freezing?
    I've experienced it the may few weeks. I've have to force close Chrome numerous times during the day. Switched to Canary Chrome and seems to be stable so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

1jcdub wrote: »
    Anyone else with any of the S20 models experiencing their Samsung or Chrome browser freezing?
    I've experienced it the may few weeks. I've have to force close Chrome numerous times during the day. Switched to Canary Chrome and seems to be stable so far

Yeah, happens alot. Happened on my s10 too.

Reati wrote: »
    Yeah, happens alot. Happened on my s10 too.

Running Canary Chrome the past week and hadn't frozen since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

What's the consensus on the S20 Ultra guys? Im due an upgrade with Vodafone and im ready to pull the trigger on this?
    Will be coming from an S9+ and battery life is starting to wane badly and i would be a heavy user throughout the day for both calls and internet.

(I have subscribed to this thread since it first appeared and the reason im asking is because I wanted some first hand info and reactions have seem mixed.)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What's the consensus on the S20 Ultra guys? Im due an upgrade with Vodafone and im ready to pull the trigger on this? Will be coming from an S9+ and battery life is starting to wane badly and i would be a heavy user throughout the day for both calls and internet.

It depends on the price you get the phone for. If you take a two year deal then the phone itself will probably set you back close to 2k over two years. If you pay upfront for the phone then you can get them for around 1100 euro if you really search online for a 256g version. I don't think the s20 ultra 128GB is worth anywhere near 2k.

Battery is brilliant. It not only has fast charging but also has super fast charging. It even has fast wireless charging but you need a fast wireless charger. Camera is brilliant. HDR and 8K is brilliant. You will notice a huge difference in everything going from s9+ to the s20 ultra. Everything from size, battery, storage, memory and speed. It has the option of 120 refresh rate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Thanks Sleeper12 you have just squeezed my finger on the trigger!
    Appreciate the reply.

Purchased Galaxy Buds plus to go with my s20 plus from amazon at the start of the month for 182euro ..

Still no sign of them, however they got posted on Monday and if they don't arrive today I get my refund..

Wonder would I get to keep the buds if they ever arrive after that date.. Will be ridiculous having to wait another 3 weeks for them to arrive ..

Wonder would I get to keep the buds if they ever arrive after that date.. Will be ridiculous having to wait another 3 weeks for them to arrive ..

Eglobal have Galaxy Buds Plus for about 50 euros cheaper. Takes about a week before they get dispatched but you should have them 2/3 weeks after date of order

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Eglobal have Galaxy Buds Plus for about 50 euros cheaper. Takes about a week before they get dispatched but you should have them 2/3 weeks after date of order

Why they so cheap? I know they had a cheap s20 plus but that version appeared to have less ram than the one i got from Samsung...

I see they appear as 112euro .. Amazon is great for returns etc also but not sure its worth paying 30euro more to Amazon..

Why they so cheap? I know they had a cheap s20 plus but that version appeared to have less ram than the one i got from Samsung...

They ship from Korea. There is no eu vat. They also usually have better versions of Samsung phones. Most have the superior Snapdragon chip that EU phones don't get.

Amazon is more expensive but they have a terrific customer care system. For something like Buds though I'm happy to save & buy from Eglobal

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    They ship from Korea. There is no eu vat. They also usually have better versions of Samsung phones. Most have the superior Snapdragon chip that EU phones don't get.

Amazon is more expensive but they have a terrific customer care system. For something like Buds though I'm happy to save & buy from Eglobal

Might just do that if they don't arrive within a week cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Been keeping an eye on a few phones lately but I think I'll go for the s20 128gb. Not overly fussed about 5g at the minute. The above price is the cheapest I've seen it from any sort of reliable site. It's 599stg on teco buy but the reviews of that site wouldn't fill me with too much confidence

Edit to add - I have found a 'pristine' refurb version for under 600 euro from a site that I have bought new phones from before. Unfortunately they aren't too forthcoming in how much previous usage etc.

Advertisement