Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Battle of Brexit is over; the Battle of Irexit is about to begin"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm not going to have you pretend that I said things that I did not say.

I've asked to make your own argument for Irexit. You can't. I'd ask you to show where Irish identity is being subsumed by a European one and based on your above feelings posts I daresey there'd be nothing from you there either.

Too late throwing the toys out of the pram. You are both seeing things that have not been typed and pretending to have not typed things either.

Heroic evasion even by boards standards.

This means you have already lost any argument you had no intention of making.

Again, good day to you. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's unbelievable that people can't understand that many want to remain Irish and not be called Europeans.
    I'm with Kermit here, happy to remain a part of the EU but I'm Irish and proud of it. I don't want to be called a European.

By extension, then, it would be perfectly reasonable for someone from (say) Cork to reject the notion that they were Irish on the grounds that Ireland was ruled by/from Dublin?

Anyone with that kind of mentality ought to struck from the electoral register on the grounds of diminished capacity ... :rolleyes:

I am Irish, 100% pure (according to my parents' DNA samples) and proud to be so. Talk to any of the men and women that I live and work with and they'll tell you that there's no doubt that I'm not French. But walking through the corridors of the European Parliament in Strasbourg, I feel just as much at home as walking the aisles of my local French supermarket or my sister's local SuperValu, or traipsing the halls of the family stronghold in Bunratty.

The Irish contributed to the development of many of Europe's best known cities, and even established some of the lesser-known ones. Most of the territory from the Vosges mountains in France to the eastern Alps in Austria is one giant Irish monastic colonisation. The same goes for many of the great vintners and distillers families in western France - established by the Wild Geese back in the day, and still going strong in 2020. So yes, you could argue that we are not "European" because it's more a case of them being Irish. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,965 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What are you basing that on? We don't even appear on a gallup global perceptions poll:

Why don't we? Population?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

So the EU needs the trappings of statehood because Ireland is a "resource-barren island"?

Is that it, is that the argument?

So tell me what you think of Iceland and Singapore, for example, as small independent countries.

Surely they need to accept they are resource barren territories that need to barter away their independence to a larger entity going by your logic.

Iceland and Singapore are incomparable to Ireland from a population, size, economy, geographical location etc. :confused::confused:

Again.. there's no reason to separate that identity.. unless you can tell why we should?
    I've just told you, to not be associated with other countries as a nation.

• Advertisement

I've asked to make your own argument for.
    He wasn't making an argument for Irexit. He is against Irexit.

I've just told you, to not be associated with other countries as a nation.

Except Europe is not a nation... and is not perceived by anyone as being one.

You still didn't answer my question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,168 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He wasn't making an argument for Irexit. He is against Irexit.

That sort of disingenuous bad faith posting suggests that he can't be bothered to admit to it because he knows it's a daft idea.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Except Europe is not a nation... and is not perceived by anyone as being one.
    You still didn't answer my question.
    Are you for real, my original post was saying that I don't want to be told I'm European instead of Irish.
    I want to remain an Irishman from an island off the coast of the European continent.
    I'm happy to be part of the EU, for financially purposes, but my nationality is very important.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Irish contributed to the development of many of Europe's best known cities, and even established some of the lesser-known ones. Most of the territory from the Vosges mountains in France to the eastern Alps in Austria is one giant Irish monastic colonisation.
    Indeed. While the "land of saints and scholars" was insular by geography, it was anything but insular as far as mindset. It was very much "European" in focus and outlook and helped get Europe get back some of what it had lost in previous centuries.

I certainly feel more European than I do American or Asian or African. Britain always had a "the wogs start at Calais"* attitude, born of an odd mix of self confidence and lack of it and a fear of invasion(though they were more subtly invaded a few times after 1066). Add in a gra for the old days of an empire long gone musty, a lack of understanding of how much the EU has helped them, a privileged class that will win no matter what and Brexit doesn't seem such a daft idea for many British people, well more English people.

*before pearls are clutched by some, it's a Fawlty Towers reference.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

That sort of disingenuous bad faith posting suggests that he can't be bothered to admit to it because he knows it's a daft idea.
    A daft idea to want to be Irish and not European?
    I'm sorry but it's you that's not making any sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,168 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

A daft idea to want to be Irish and not European?

Can you quote me here? I've not said that anybody shouldn't be Irish.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm a Dubliner who's also Irish. Many Corkonians would take that even further. :D So what?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm a Dubliner who's also Irish. Many Corkonians would take that even further. :D So what?

I don't really know where this is coming from in general to be honest. I'm from Donegal and I'd just as easily identify as Irish, European or as an Ulsterman as I come from an Anglican, pro-Union background.

To be honest, I spend a lot more time thinking about cats.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Exact same argument Brexiters use against Scotland leaving the UK to try and frighten them.

Same as in 1920 when the Dublin Chamber warned Irish people and pledged it's allegiance to the Crown (or as many sneered the half crown).

The argument the English used was was that Scotland's economy would be decimated because they'd leave the EU. It kind of undermines your point TBH.

The argument the English used was was that Scotland's economy would be decimated because they'd leave the EU. It kind of undermines your point TBH.

Yeah and Scotland would probably join the EU afterwards. The only thing Spain is insisting on is that it be a constitutional process so as not to empower their separatists.

H. H. Asquith

Are you for real, my original post was saying that I don't want to be told I'm European instead of Irish.
    I want to remain an Irishman from an island off the coast of the European continent.
    I'm happy to be part of the EU, for financially purposes, but my nationality is very important.

Ok. you don't understand my response. fair enough. We can leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It's unbelievable that people can't understand that many want to remain Irish and not be called Europeans.
    I'm with Kermit here, happy to remain a part of the EU but I'm Irish and proud of it. I don't want to be called a European.

I am Irish.

I suppose I am also European, given that the island of Ireland is in Europe.

But nobody calls me European.

I am never asked "are you European?"

All Irish people are European, given the location of the island.

I don't feel my nationality is under threat by EU membership.

I am Irish, I will forever be Irish.

Joining the Single Market and EMU did not make me less Irish.

It made my life easier, it made me richer, but no less Irish.

Geuze wrote:
    I don't feel my nationality is under threat by EU membership.
    I am Irish, I will forever be Irish.

Joining the Single Market and EMU did not make me less Irish.

It made my life easier, it made me richer, but no less Irish.
    I don't know why you are quoting me.
    I'm in agreement with everything in your post.
    I just don't want us pushed towards a situation where we are told we are Europeans first and foremost.

• Advertisement

I just don't want us pushed towards a situation where we are told we are Europeans first and foremost.

Who is telling people this?

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No one with any grasp of sanity is the faintest bit interested in Irexit fúckery.

No one with any grasp of sanity is the faintest bit interested in Irexit fúckery.

Ah here, nobody that cares about money has any interest is the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Leave EU
    Print money
    Buy nice stuff with money

Great idea, LIKED AND SHARED

You'll never print money faster than the EU themselves anyway!

For my part sovereignty and membership of a trading block are two essential things, but two separate things. They only become interdependent where national politicians are rubber-spined. Sadly for Ireland...

I don't agree with the nuclear button idea behind Brexit. They had some excellent points though. Why does a trading block need an anthem, parliament or flag? Whey do external defence policies need alignment? I rarely see any discussion on this in our media. Brits should have stayed in the block and fought the good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭saabsaab

There is and I doubt there will be any appetite in most Irish people for leaving the EU. North and South.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I must say I do cringe a bit when I head ppl say they are 'European' other than when meant geographically or in the small case one is well travelled or have strong family connections there. I might feel differently if lived on the mainland. I just find it a bit pretentious.

I feel no more a connection with Germany than I do with New Zealand. If I'd go higher than Irish I'd go the whole hog and say I'm earth-ish.

Great, we agree.

One question - who is telling us that we are Europeans first and foremost?

Nobody has ever told me that, and I don't expect anybody ever will.

Leave EU
    Print money
    Buy nice stuff with money

Great idea, LIKED AND SHARED

We have never had our own independent currency in Ireland.

So it's not something we can return to.

Also, note that since 2014/15, the ECB has engaged in QE and created over 1 trillion extra euro.

Geuze wrote:
    One question - who is telling us that we are Europeans first and foremost?
    Nobody has ever told me that, and I don't expect anybody ever will.
    Great, we agree.
    We have a flag, an anthem and a parliament in Europe. Powers are being slowly eroded from national parliaments to the European one.
    It's pretty obvious when you look at what's going on and see what the plan is.

• Advertisement

We have a flag, an anthem and a parliament in Europe. Powers are being slowly eroded from national parliaments to the European one.
    It's pretty obvious when you look at what's going on and see what the plan is.

What evidence do you have for this?

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement