Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punishment pass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

meeeeh wrote: »
    Well it's the way criminals sort out their disagreements. I'm amazed how you wouldn't understand we have a law to deal with this kind of stuff.

That's pretty insulting to be fair.

Do you really think that only a 'criminal' would react in such a way?

By the way, which law exactly do we have which deals with lads in cars trying to deliberately hit cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Maybe it's been said in this thread already but it's important to remember that The Rules of the Road are not law (it's off-topic I know and irrelevant to the OP's post, but was mentioned at least a few time in the first page - I didn't read beyond that).
    It's not that long ago that these 'rules' said that cyclists 'must' cycle on cycle-paths when available, even though there was never such a law.
    I think they are basically drawn up by a bunch of people around a table at RSA or some-such-place, and we know all about attitudes there.
    Sorry about the off-topic aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

TGD wrote: »
    Maybe it's been said in this thread already but it's important to remember that The Rules of the Road are not law (it's off-topic I know and irrelevant to the OP's post, but was mentioned at least a few time in the first page - I didn't read beyond that).
    It's not that long ago that these 'rules' said that cyclists 'must' cycle on cycle-paths when available, even though there was never such a law.
    I think they are basically drawn up by a bunch of people around a table at RSA or some-such-place, and we know all about attitudes there.
    Sorry about the off-topic aspect.

Wrong.....

The law actually was misinterpreted and I believe it still is as leo was meant to elaborate on it and yet I've to see an actual ammended version.

Anyway that does not give the right to cyclists behaviour like tools or vehicle drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Some of the responses on this thread are very bizarre. Law breaking is not all equal. If someone drops litter I can’t take a baseball bat to their legs and call it equal.

The OP should report both his and the driver’s behavior.
    He should take a fine for breaking a red light, and the driver should be done for his dangerous action.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Bit silly to be honest, this is how people end up in the morgue....

Er, it's actions of the car driver that put people in the morgue.

Lots of brave people act the dick when they're sitting behind a steering wheel, you can guarantee 99% wouldn't say boo to you if you bumped into them when walking on the street. They're cowards who think there's no blow back by their actions because they can speed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s disgraceful that cyclists can constantly break red lights and not follow the rules of the road and are never punished.

I have lots of footage of this on my dash cam and I can’t do anything with it. No way to identify them.

Cyclists rolling through a red light with no one there does not pose much of a risk to anyone , a cross roads would be different.

I’m sure your Dashcam has lots of drivers using mobiles , speeding, changing road position without indicating a, blocking cycle lanes etc.

All of which are many times more dangerous

Hurrache wrote: »
    Er, it's actions of the car driver that put people in the morgue.

Eh???

Ever hear of one punch?

Don't go looking for a fight.

Not saying it's right just saying be careful....

Just because one is right doesn't meant they won't end up seriously hurt or dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    This morning I was on the bike in the bike lane and approaching a pedestrian crossing. There were one or two cars stopped at the lights. There was a man crossing and when he was across I rolled on through the red light. I could see clearly that there was no one else crossing.

I continued along the bike lane and next thing I know there’s a merc blaring it’s horn and it’s in the bike lane with me, literally inches from my front bars. The merc then pulled into an estate about 200m up the road. I followed the car as it pulled into the owners driveway. When he got out I asked him why he had done it. He said it was because I broke a red light. I got fairly heated as you can imagine at him putting my life in danger for something that had nothing to do with him. The guy was unrepentant, said I should grow up, that I should get a car, and that my life was never in danger. Anyone that was out this morning in Dublin knows how gusty it is and quite hard to keep a straight line at times.

On the way home I stopped at Garda station. I asked if they would give a call to warn driver. They replied that basically unless I’m willing to go to court there’s no point making a statement. I said I’d go home, cool off a bit, and think about it.

Looking for opinions on best steps next? I’m not too bothered about prosecuting etc but at same time this guy could kill someone in future so would like to take some action that makes him realise this.

Youre literally one of those cyclists who go around breaking lights and shouts at drivers.

Eh???

Ever hear of one punch?

Don't go looking for a fight.

Not saying it's right just saying be careful....

Just because one is right doesn't meant they won't end up seriously hurt or dead.

People driving cars are more of a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Traffic lights are there to regulate the flow of lots of motor traffic. Nothing to do with safety, if that was the case we would have zebra crossings and roundabouts everywhere.

• Advertisement

People driving cars are more of a risk.

Ever notice most cyclists are actually drivers too....

Cut the b's.... Been a tool is no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Cut the b's.... Been a tool is no excuse.

He was nearly run off the road for doing nothing wrong other than rolling through a circular light that is red in colour.... If you want to do that, go and join the Guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

flatface wrote: »
    The OP should report both his and the driver’s behavior. He should take a fine for breaking a red light, and the driver should be done for his dangerous action.

Don't forget that following someone to their home and starting a row with them is road rage.

donvito99 wrote: »
    He was nearly run off the road for doing nothing wrong other than rolling through a circular light that is red in colour.... If you want to do that, go and join the Guards.

Wtf are you on about....

I in no way disagree.... Tools are just that tools

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

AulWan wrote: »
    Don't forget that following someone to their home and starting a row with them is road rage.

"Starting a row"? Pretty sure that row got started when that tit swerved towards him.

I never said or insinuated otherwise so don't know what you're point is.

But I do know that ireland has the highest increase of cyclist deaths in the EU over the last 10 years so there's a serious issue with motoring when it comes to people cycling, as demonstrated by the OP.

I never said or insinuated otherwise so don't know what you're point is.

But I do know that ireland has the highest increase of cyclist deaths in the EU over the last 10 years so there's a serious issue with motoring when it comes to people cycling, as demonstrated by the OP.

Not really to be honest, it's more so down to more people actually cycling and on scooters for example.

Ireland is in a boom and jobs a plenty and more cyclists then ever due to this.

Please don't take this as me been heartless.... Any death is one too many but this would explain the increased amount.

Oh, you said if I want to do that join the Guards... Explain.

Shai wrote: »
    "Starting a row"? Pretty sure that row got started when that tit swerved towards him.

Pretty sure it got started when the bigger tit here followed the driver home and then in his own words "got pretty heated".
    I followed the car as it pulled into the owners driveway. When he got out I asked him why he had done it. He said it was because I broke a red light. I got fairly heated as you can imagine at him putting my life in danger for something that had nothing to do with him. .

Stupid move.

Such an ignorant post, it's really pathetic tbh, you're first reaction is to immediately deflect away from those killing the cyclists. How do you explain that on average deaths are reducing across the EU bar 2 other countries i think it is.

I never said anything to you about the Gardaí.

Pretty sure it got started when the bigger tit here followed the driver home and then in his own words "got pretty heated"..

How dumb does a person have to be to think the issue didn't start with a person attempting to bully someone off the road with a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

Pretty sure it got started when the bigger tit here followed the driver home and then in his own words "got pretty heated".
    Stupid move.

Lovely to see that cause and effect are lost on some. Strangely enough you don't get to use your car to threaten anyone and then pretend you did not instigate the situation. If swerving towards someone is not road rage, then I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Allinall

skallywag wrote: »
    That's pretty insulting to be fair.

Do you really think that only a 'criminal' would react in such a way?

By the way, which law exactly do we have which deals with lads in cars trying to deliberately hit cyclists?

Dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

One arsehole met another arsehole

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It’s disgraceful that cyclists can constantly break red lights and not follow the rules of the road and are never punished.

I have lots of footage of this on my dash cam and I can’t do anything with it. No way to identify them.

I have lots of footage of cars running red lights on camera too. Can't do anything with it as the reg numbers only identify the vehicle, not the driver! ;)

Shai wrote: »
    Lovely to see that cause and effect are lost on some. Strangely enough you don't get to use your car to threaten anyone and then pretend you did not instigate the situation. If swerving towards someone is not road rage, then I don't know what is.

This whole chain of events was "instigated" by the cyclist's behaviour at the red light in the first place.

I don't know why it annoyed the driver so much, we don't know his version of the events, but I never defended the driver. He was a dick, but following someone to their home in some kind of self-righteous fit of road rage is taking it to a whole other level, and pretty damn stupid.

He's lucky he wasn't beaten to a pulp - but then I guess if he had been, by your reckoning that still wouldn't have been the effect of his own actions, would it.

Have a nice evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

If you haven't already done so, I think it's time for you to have a look at, and review this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Eamonnator wrote: »
    If you haven't already done so, I think it's time for you to have a look at, and review this thread.

Did you type this as a comment instead of a report 😂

This morning I was on the bike in the bike lane and approaching a pedestrian crossing. There were one or two cars stopped at the lights. There was a man crossing and when he was across I rolled on through the red light. I could see clearly that there was no one else crossing.

I continued along the bike lane and next thing I know there’s a merc blaring it’s horn and it’s in the bike lane with me, literally inches from my front bars. The merc then pulled into an estate about 200m up the road. I followed the car as it pulled into the owners driveway. When he got out I asked him why he had done it. He said it was because I broke a red light. I got fairly heated as you can imagine at him putting my life in danger for something that had nothing to do with him. The guy was unrepentant, said I should grow up, that I should get a car, and that my life was never in danger. Anyone that was out this morning in Dublin knows how gusty it is and quite hard to keep a straight line at times.

On the way home I stopped at Garda station. I asked if they would give a call to warn driver. They replied that basically unless I’m willing to go to court there’s no point making a statement. I said I’d go home, cool off a bit, and think about it.

Looking for opinions on best steps next? I’m not too bothered about prosecuting etc but at same time this guy could kill someone in future so would like to take some action that makes him realise this.

Don’t break red lights. Sorted.

(6 pages in, hopefully I’m not the first to educate them with this nugget).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Allinall

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I have lots of footage of cars running red lights on camera too. Can't do anything with it as the reg numbers only identify the vehicle, not the driver! ;)

You really can’t do anything with the footage showing a reg number?

Don’t forget, it’s the Gardai that investigate crimes, not motorists or cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Did you type this as a comment instead of a report ��

Yes, my mistake, thanks.
    Now reported.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement