Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punishment pass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Op you should be fined for running the red and the driver for not giving room...

name checks out

It’s disgraceful that cyclists can constantly break red lights and not follow the rules of the road and are never punished.

I have lots of footage of this on my dash cam and I can’t do anything with it. No way to identify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

It’s disgraceful that cyclists can constantly break red lights and not follow the rules of the road and are never punished.

I have lots of footage of this on my dash cam and I can’t do anything with it. No way to identify them.

Did they nearly kill you?

What about pedestrians?
    The Republic of Ireland maintains a jaywalking law, which requires a pedestrian to use a pedestrian crossing if they are within 15.24 metres (50 feet) of one. This law is generally dismissed by Irish pedestrians, who routinely cross all public roads except motorways. When crossing a road, pedestrians are advised to wait until it is safe to cross. Vehicles should give way to the pedestrian who uses a zebra crossing. Irish children are taught the RSA (Road Safety Authority) safe cross code in schools where it teaches them to stop, listen, and look out for any incoming traffic whilst crossing a road and only cross a road if safe to do so. It also advises them to use traffic lights and zebra crossings to cross a road rather than jaywalk. An Garda Síochána (Ireland's national police force) usually do not take action on jaywalkers unless they caused possible harm to drivers or others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It’s disgraceful that cars cyclists can constantly break red lights and use mobile phones and not follow the rules of the road and are never punished.

I have lots of footage of this on my helmet dash cam and I can can’t do anything with it. A No way to identify them.

FYP. In fact many cyclists get punished, but admittedly any that go through reds are arguably putting their own lives at risk more than other people (apart from the idiots that go through when people are crossing).

I'm actually shocked at the rise in red light runners in vehicles over recent years, particularly when I'm driving around and almost get rammed by the car behind that's assuming I'm going to speed up as the light changes yellow.

But also noting a lot of close calls on my cycling commute from cars deciding to go through reds a few seconds after they have become active. Definite rise over past year or so.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cyclists are frequently punished and rightfully so. However in my experience, far more drivers break red lights than cyclists. Also the driver will create a much bigger mess if they get it wrong.

Gardaí catch 24 times more Dublin motorists than cyclists breaking red lights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Two people behaving like d1ckheads on the road arguing who is bigger d1ckhead. For the record it's the driver but both deserve the fine, one to be put of the road because he can't control himself while driving.

Anyway the fact that they also managed to have shouting match after the incidents tells me everything about the two people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭bmc58

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    This morning I was on the bike in the bike lane and approaching a pedestrian crossing. There were one or two cars stopped at the lights. There was a man crossing and when he was across I rolled on through the red light. I could see clearly that there was no one else crossing.

I continued along the bike lane and next thing I know there’s a merc blaring it’s horn and it’s in the bike lane with me, literally inches from my front bars. The merc then pulled into an estate about 200m up the road. I followed the car as it pulled into the owners driveway. When he got out I asked him why he had done it. He said it was because I broke a red light. I got fairly heated as you can imagine at him putting my life in danger for something that had nothing to do with him. The guy was unrepentant, said I should grow up, that I should get a car, and that my life was never in danger. Anyone that was out this morning in Dublin knows how gusty it is and quite hard to keep a straight line at times.

On the way home I stopped at Garda station. I asked if they would give a call to warn driver. They replied that basically unless I’m willing to go to court there’s no point making a statement. I said I’d go home, cool off a bit, and think about it.

Looking for opinions on best steps next? I’m not too bothered about prosecuting etc but at same time this guy could kill someone in future so would like to take some action that makes him realise this.
    You went through a Red light..Wrong.You got angry and followed a person to argue.Wrong again.You need an anger managment course.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

Cyclists are frequently punished and rightfully so. However in my experience, far more drivers break red lights than cyclists. Also the driver will create a much bigger mess if they get it wrong.
    Maybe fines should be set to reflect the risk as a product of speed x mass
    Or more graphically, this:
    img_0663.jpg?w=694&ssl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

meeeeh wrote: »
    Anyway the fact that they also managed to have shouting match after the incidents tells me everything about the two people involved.

I am not sure what this point means?

Have you ever had something like this happen to you? It is extremely frightening.

Any time I have had it happen to me I have done my best to catch up with the car, and if I manage to catch them one day I would be quite proud of myself if I could limit it to shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

mrcheez wrote: »
    FYP. In fact many cyclists get punished, but admittedly any that go through reds are arguably putting their own lives at risk more than other people (apart from the idiots that go through when people are crossing).

I'm actually shocked at the rise in red light runners in vehicles over recent years, particularly when I'm driving around and almost get rammed by the car behind that's assuming I'm going to speed up as the light changes yellow.

But also noting a lot of close calls on my cycling commute from cars deciding to go through reds a few seconds after they have become active. Definite rise over past year or so.
    Yes there is a rise in this at it's absolutely horrible. However this does not give you an excuse to go through a red.

Your first paragraph should be reason enough not to go through reds as a cyclist.

• Advertisement

skallywag wrote: »

Have you ever had something like this happen to you? It is extremely frightening.

Any time I have had it happen to me I have done my best to catch up with the car, and if I manage to catch them one day I would be quite proud of myself if I could limit it to shouting.
    No but I've been on the wrong side of the aggression on the roads. It's frightening but it's not up to me to deal with it and playing Rambo achieves nothing. Report it.

Or you can loose your self control and get into shouting or boxing match. But then you are just another person in traffic who can't control their temper.

But then you are just another person in traffic who can't control their temper.

Really?

We are talking about someone in a car who actively swerves towards someone on a push bike in order to 'teach them a lesson'. 'just another person in traffic who cannot control their temper'? Are you serious? If I am in my car and it happens, then yeah, I agree with you. But someone on a pushbike???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

This morning I was on the bike in the bike lane and approaching a pedestrian crossing. There were one or two cars stopped at the lights. There was a man crossing and when he was across I rolled on through the red light. I could see clearly that there was no one else crossing.

I continued along the bike lane and next thing I know there’s a merc blaring it’s horn and it’s in the bike lane with me, literally inches from my front bars. The merc then pulled into an estate about 200m up the road. I followed the car as it pulled into the owners driveway. When he got out I asked him why he had done it. He said it was because I broke a red light. I got fairly heated as you can imagine at him putting my life in danger for something that had nothing to do with him. The guy was unrepentant, said I should grow up, that I should get a car, and that my life was never in danger. Anyone that was out this morning in Dublin knows how gusty it is and quite hard to keep a straight line at times.

On the way home I stopped at Garda station. I asked if they would give a call to warn driver. They replied that basically unless I’m willing to go to court there’s no point making a statement. I said I’d go home, cool off a bit, and think about it.

Looking for opinions on best steps next? I’m not too bothered about prosecuting etc but at same time this guy could kill someone in future so would like to take some action that makes him realise this.

2 assholes in this story.

Really?

We are talking about someone in a car who actively swerves towards someone on a push bike in order to 'teach them a lesson'. 'just another person in traffic who cannot control their temper'? Are you serious? If I am in my car and it happens, then yeah, I agree with you. But someone on a pushbike???
    It's an option afforded to those who are stronger. As a woman I know this kind of behaviour is not an option for me anyway. I have no time for that kind of behaviour from anyone but knock yourself out of you think that will resolve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭micar

Don't break red lights

Can't jut decide the rules of the road don't apply to you

OP....the drivers behaviour is a direct result of yours.

He should have simply not reacted the way he did.

In the future, don't roll through the red light.

That said, my commute for the last 10 years has been the same. I know how the sequencing and timing of all the lights. A second before the light for me goes green, I begin to move off to open up some space.

Technically I'm breaking the red light. I do it for my safety as I don't trust any motorits to hold back and give me space.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

OP , I really hope you apologized to the red light for what you did. Do you know how much danger you put the light in by passing it with the red illuminated? The merc driver was right, your human life is worth nothing compared to that light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭micar

No offence, I'm sure you have plenty of footage on motorits breaking a multitude of road traffic laws. Have you reported any of them?

I have never come across a case in the papers where a motorits was convicted of a road traffic offence solely based on the submission of dash cam footage submitted by another motorists. ...... YouTube is full of these

It's an option afforded to those who are stronger

I think that you have hit the nail right on the head.

If a guy in a car gets it even slightly wrong, while swerving towards me on my pushbike, then I could be seriously injured (or knocked out as you correctly say) or even killed.

He is x100 times stronger than me on my bike.

I am not a violent person at all, but I have no qualms about following up when someone in a car makes an attempt to use his car as a threat against me.

If a guy in a car gets it even slightly wrong, while swerving towards me on my pushbike, then I could be seriously injured (or knocked out) or even killed.

I am not a violent person at all, but I have no qualms about following up when someone in a car makes an attempt to use his car as a threat against me.

Well welcome to the wild west where things are resolved with fists. I'm sure you will be a hero for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Driving a bus for many years I've come across it all....

I do not punish pass, I do not pass and pull in or block cyclists and basically my mentality is leave them off as life is to short to be stressing but even with that I've been followed, abused mentally and physically, items thrown, complaints put in etc.

Our roads are not suitable or safe especially in Dublin and surrounding areas as the space is so limited.

Sure a regular cyclist abuses me at Fairview for been in the cycle lane!!!! Yes he is right I'm in the broken white line cycle lane as it itself is in the bus lane and the bus itself hardly fits in the bus lane itself.

There are absolute twats on both sides and I've seen that too.

People in general need to just count to 5 and breath and move on.

Stress is a real killer and we need to be more accommodating to each other.

One thing I find absolutely nuts though is those that burst their way to pass on bends, corners, or when a bus is pulling in.... So many put themselves in danger cycling and there absolutely no need to do so.

If someone hits the bell late for example I don't just click across I wait till they pass or I'm eventually let in.

Respect each other we are all human beings no matter what.

• Advertisement

I would never do this. It's called road rage. What if the guy is a maniac and attacks you. I am not saying let it go. But ring traffic watch or the gardai.

As for the OP. He should have not gone through a red. The driver definitely should not have done what he dea(given the car he drives not surprised :)). Also the OP should not have confronted him. I get why it was done but it's fairly risky. Look I get it there are times when i am in my wheelchair that i must get off a path and carry on up the road until i can get back on the other side and it's not fun with cars close to you. Either brush it off with a few choice words or call the traffic watch gardai or send in a request to a local station for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Did you mention your own law breaking behaviour to the Gardai?

Well welcome to the wild west where things are resolved with fists. I'm sure you will be a hero for some.

I do not think that is fair.

If someone makes a deliberate attempt to knock me down while I am out of my bike then I think I am more than entitled to hit them.

Just my 2 cts.

If a guy in a car gets it even slightly wrong, while swerving towards me on my pushbike, then I could be seriously injured (or knocked out as you correctly say) or even killed.

What the 1 in the car did was beyond dangerous. But what if you follow and start to argue and the guy is bigger and stronger.

What the 1 in the car did was beyond dangerous. But what if you follow and start to argue and the guy is bigger and stronger.

Get back on the bike and peg it up a side street :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

So basically OP , you break the law ! the guy comes close to you in his car ?

and you follow him to his house and YOU report him FFS

BTW if it was that gusty as you say you may have lost control , why were you out cycling.

I cycle and drive and let a lot go in both, but if somebody followed me into my driveway ,I would think again ,

Where is Liam phelan these days, he would argue with his shadow to win an argument.....

Cycle dub I believe he went under.

sham58107 wrote: »
    I cycle and drive and let a lot go in both, but if somebody followed me into my driveway ,I would think again ,

If you deliberately swerved at me in a car, while I am out on my bike, then I would indeed follow you.

I am pretty amazed that anyone would have an issue with that.

If you deliberately swerved at me in a car, while I am out on my bike, then I would indeed follow you.

Well it's the way criminals sort out their disagreements. I'm amazed how you wouldn't understand we have a law to deal with this kind of stuff.

• Advertisement

Bit silly to be honest, this is how people end up in the morgue....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement