Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Performance Thread - Post your monthly output

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

tails_naf wrote: »
    March Stats
    6.4kWp (4.5 SSE, 1.9 WSW) , 4.8kWh battery, Eddi, dumb electric car charger – Tipperary

Generation – 436 kWh
    Export – 25.6 kWh
    Divert – 119 kWh
    Import – 384 kWh

Best day - 19th, 31.6 kWh
    Worst day - 8th, 1.9 kWh

Totals so far:
    Month|Generate (KWh)|Export (KWh) |Divert (KWh) |Import (KWh)
    November | 163 | -- | -- | 443
    December | 117 | 0.5 | 22 | 552
    January | 163 | 1.5 | 29 | 709
    February | 213 | 9.6 | 47 | 496
    March | 436 | 25.6 | 119 | 384
    Total | 1092 | 37.2 | 217 | 2584

March was a good month - though the number of units purchased may be higher than expected given the generation amount - mostly due to some night-time use (half-filling the battery on night rate) - that's turned off now until next winter. Lots of divert, and a fair bit going back to the grid - both of which I'm sure will be excessive as the summer months come. I'll have to look into getting a Zappi...

If you have a vw electric car, the zappi is sometimes not working with it. Seems okay with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Patmwgs wrote: »
    If you have a vw electric car, the zappi is sometimes not working with it. Seems okay with the rest.

I've a tesla, do they work with thr zappi? Currently it's connected to a 32A blue socket and the car charges at night (scheduled charge, controlled by thr car). My hope is zappi would be bale to charge thr car when there is excess, and I could switch the priority between it and the eddi. That said, when I'm back in work the car won't be at home during peak sun hours, so not sure a zappi will every be worth it then.

I've a tesla, do they work with thr zappi? Currently it's connected to a 32A blue socket and the car charges at night (scheduled charge, controlled by thr car). My hope is zappi would be bale to charge thr car when there is excess, and I could switch the priority between it and the eddi. That said, when I'm back in work the car won't be at home during peak sun hours, so not sure a zappi will every be worth it then.

They work fine with the tesla. If you have a battery backup it might make sense, someone else will have more experience with that setup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesla/Leaf owner here, both work fine with Zappi2

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Is it okay to use fluctuating power from your own pv that could go from 1kwh to 3 or any where in between to charge your ev or will the non constant input hurt the battery through time. Or is a constant 7kwh charge better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

Is it okay to use fluctuating power from your own pv that could go from 1kwh to 3 or any where in between to charge your ev or will the non constant input hurt the battery through time. Or is a constant 7kwh charge better.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

There is a general Solar PV discussion thread for general questions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Is it okay to use fluctuating power from your own pv that could go from 1kwh to 3 or any where in between to charge your ev or will the non constant input hurt the battery through time.

The constant up/down of the kW rate is akin to you opening and closing your tap and allowing more water to flow.... it doesnt "hurt" the tap to flow more water!

Constantly stopping/starting the charge session at short intervals would not be good for the long term lifespan of the electronics/contactors etc but a decent charge point should not do that anyway.

Or is a constant 7kwh charge better.

Better probably isnt the right word but it is more efficient to charge at 7kW than 1.4kW, but efficiency doesnt really come into it when the electricity is free to begin with!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Niceday20

I am sure everyone is going to be posting some great numbers this month after the great sunshine over the last week.

As a complete newbie only having my 4.8kwp system with Solax Inverter and 5.8kW battery installed last week, I am trying to get my head around my own numbers.

From what I can see from the Solax Cloud, the YIELD figure displayed is NOT what is coming off the panels, but what is coming off the inverter, i.e. panels plus battery combined.

Is that the figure others are giving as their production so I am comparing like with like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Niceday20 wrote: »
    I am sure everyone is going to be posting some great numbers this month after the great sunshine over the last week.

As a complete newbie only having my 4.8kwp system with Solax Inverter and 5.8kW battery installed last week, I am trying to get my head around my own numbers.

From what I can see from the Solax Cloud, the YIELD figure displayed is NOT what is coming off the panels, but what is coming off the inverter, i.e. panels plus battery combined.

Is that the figure others are giving as their production so I am comparing like with like?

Known issue with SolaX, pretty stupid number to report. Nothing you can do unless you're comfortable with writing some Python.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

mp3guy wrote: »
    Known issue with SolaX, pretty stupid number to report. Nothing you can do unless you're comfortable with writing some Python.

Even when you pull the numbers from inverter and try to calculate in excel I can't get them to make sense. Too much of a variation to be usable. Probably due to 5min sample rate. I'll try to look at some stable input data from last few days.

• Advertisement

Even when you pull the numbers from inverter and try to calculate in excel I can't get them to make sense. Too much of a variation to be usable. Probably due to 5min sample rate. I'll try to look at some stable input data from last few days.

I didn't find that to be the case, works well for me (i.e. it matches up with the estimate they give on days I had no battery yield). How are you calculating it?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

I didn't find that to be the case, works well for me (i.e. it matches up with the estimate they give on days I had no battery yield). How are you calculating it?

I used the wattage from panels converting to KWh. I need to look at it again as it was a few months ago. I've a battery (which may fudge app data) but the issue was I was getting values that differed too much from app. Both up and down if I remember correctly. I'll have a look again and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

Can I suggest taking the discussion over to the "Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting" thread

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭mun1

mun1 wrote: »
    Sun just set :)

5kw array (5kw since 17th march) (3.7kw South 35 deg slope 1.3kw West 90 deg)

March generated 243kwh
    Best day 30th 22kwh
    Worst day 1.3kwh

Self use 85%

Great to see the long days

April 2021 stats
    Generated 566kwh
    Best day 30kw on 25th
    Worst day 3kwh on 20th
    Self use rate 75%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

ParkRunner wrote: »
    First go at this with 16 panel 6kw south facing system and hot water diverter going live on March 16th on the south east.

Generated 226kWh
    Consumed 116kWh
    Exported 109kWh
    Imported 110kWh
    Eddie 66kWh
    Green 51%

Best day March 17th 29.4kWh
    Worst day March 28th 4.1 kWh

Overall we could have managed usage a bit better but not a bad start & great to have so much hot water. A lot of export to the grid and am hoping FIT and an EV will cover a good bit of this. Future proofed while the grant was still going but held off on a battery. First electricity bill due soon.

First full month of solar & serious generation. Glad to be able to see the potential of the solar PV system and a bigger proportion of green usage overall.

Generated 740kWh
    Consumed 464kWh
    Exported 428kWh
    Imported 152kWh
    Eddie 153kWh
    Green 67%

Best day April 24th 37kWh
    Worst day April 18th 12.3kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭idc

April Generated 599.9 kWh - 4.65 kWp (2.17 SE, 2.48 SW) North Dublin

Best Day 22nd - 29.8 kWh
    Worst Day 18th - 5.6 kWh

I had projected only 495.37.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    South East direction in north Wexford.
    6.2kw Solar
    5kw Solis inverter
    7kw BYD Battery
    Eddie fitted.

March Total 494.6kw
    Best day, Mar 13th 27.7kw
    Worst Day Mar 10th 3.4kw
    Exported 41.3kw
    Imported 95.4kw
    Eddie 136kw
    Monthly self use 69.46%

February Total 219.3kw
    Best day 25th 21.9kw
    Worst day, 13th 0.2kw

April Total 782.4Kw
    Best day, Apr 26th 38.2Kw
    Worst Day Apr 9.8Kw
    Exported 152.4Kw
    Imported 1.6Kw
    Consumed 641.1Kw
    Eddie 243.94 Kw, lovely hot water. Boiler is now switched off till October, I hope.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Super import result

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

slave1 wrote: »
    Super import result

My wife has the usage down to a fine art, ie washing machine and dryer will be on and if she wants a tea she will switch the dryer off till the kettle boils.

She is pissed we bought 1.6Kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

April Stats
    6.4kWp (4.5 SSE, 1.9 WSW) , 4.8kWh battery, Eddi, dumb electric car charger – Tipperary

Generation – 705 kWh
    Export – 53.7 kWh
    Divert – 219 kWh
    Import – 207 kWh

Best day - 25th, 38.6 kWh
    Worst day - 20th, 2.9 kWh

Totals so far:
    Month|Generate (KWh)|Export (KWh) |Divert (KWh) |Import (KWh)
    November | 163 | -- | -- | 443
    December | 117 | 0.5 | 22 | 552
    January | 163 | 1.5 | 29 | 709
    February | 213 | 9.6 | 47 | 496
    March | 436 | 25.6 | 119 | 384
    April | 705 | 53.7 | 219 | 207
    Total | 1797 | 91 | 436 | 2791

The numbers above do not include car charging - which was approx 3x this month, all on night rate so approx 100-150KWh. Plenty of days I used excess energy to power heaters also, which cut down the export number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Generated 740kWh
    Consumed 464kWh
    Exported 428kWh
    Imported 152kWh
    Eddie 153kWh

Typo?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Winterman1234

March Values, South East Facing, 2.4kwp, Donegal, No Battery

(Predicted value - 168kWh)

Actual Gen - 110kWh (March 2020 — 165kWh)
    Grid Consumption - 128kWh
    Hot Water Eddi - 41kWh
    Export - 17kWh!
    Lowest Daily Gen on the 9th - 0.2kWh
    Highest Daily Gen on the 16th - 9.7kWh

April Values, South East facing, 2.4kwp, Donegal, No Battery

(Predicted value - 265kWh)

Actual Gen - 269kWh (April 2020 - 274kWh)
    Grid Consumption - 81kWh
    Hot Water Eddi - 93kWh
    Export - 74kWh
    Lowest Daily Gen on the 20th - 1.4kWh
    Highest Daily Gen on the 24th - 14.6kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

First full month of my two arrays. 6.1kwp total

April - 822.1 kwh

Best day 24th - 43.3kwh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Typo?

I don’t think so. Still getting to grips with the figures. P.s. I don’t have a battery

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

graememk wrote: »
    8.64kWp on a 6kw inverter,
    12 degree roof, NE/SW 50:50 (new march prediction - 439.75)

April Prediction - 779.66kWh

Still using the 15c/7.4 night rate (i know theres been a price increase, but havent got a bill yet for the exact figure

April
    Generation : 976.4kWh = PVGIS-SARAH was on the low side, but April was a great month.
    Solar Used Directly : 266.2kWh - €40.99
    Solar Used Night rate : 33.2kWh - €2.46 - I'm at 500w at 6am on the good days
    Battery Charged : 292.4kWh
    Battery Discharged Day : 147.1kWh - €35.53
    Battery Discharge Night : 83.6kWh - €6.19 - got to slow the export somehow!
    EVSE Divert : 105.7kWh - €7.82
    Battery Discharged From Grid Charging : 10.3kWh - €0.62 - 2 different periods, 1, I messed up my schedule and ended up charging, the other was a planned ESB outage and was making sure the battery had enough to run a few esentials.
    Export : 278.9kWh
    Total Savings : €91.15

May Prediction 960kwh

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

April 667.9

Best day 25th 34.8

Worst day 20th 7

Solar iBoost 98.26

Installed on 5th August last year and this is the first month we generated more that we consumed for the month.

Imported 74.7

Exported 170.7

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I don’t think so. Still getting to grips with the figures. P.s. I don’t have a battery

Ah, that's your over all consumption, your solar consumption is the 300 odd figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

6.1 kw south facing ground mounted system
    April 824.9 kW hrs
    Export 239.1
    Import 1718.5 kW hr mainly HP

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

bod71 wrote: »
    Mar Gen. 200kw. Best day 12.5 Worst 1.4.

Apr Gen. 4kwSE/NW. 323kw. Best 18.2.Worst 2.4kw.

• Advertisement

10.24kWp array, 5.76kWp SSW, 4.48kWp ESE both 45 degree pitch in Cork.

South: 385.39kWh
    East: 305.41kWh
    PV Total: 690.79kWh
    Best Day: 26th (44.09kWh)
    Worst Day: 4th (4.52kWh)

Grid Import: 674.21kWh
    Grid Export: 141.55kWh

House Usage: 1066.07kWh
    Car Usage: 131.26kWh
    Water Usage: 26.12kWh

Installed the west array half way through this month, new specs:

16kWp DC / 11kWp AC: 5.76kWp SSW, 4.48kWp ESE and 5.76kWp WNW all 45 degree pitch in Cork.

South: 443.02kWh
    East/West: 759.9kWh
    PV Total: 1202.92kWh
    Best Day: 21st (69.48kWh)
    Worst Day: 12th (6.68kWh)

Grid Export: 376.05kWh
    Grid Import: 198.32kWh
    Surplus Energy: 177.73kWh

CO2 Saved: 422.91kg

House Usage: 829.58kWh
    Car Usage: 92.43kWh
    Water Usage: 103.18kWh

First month all my electricity usage was covered and then some, carbon positive/negative whatever you want to call it. Went most days 24 hours without any material import from the grid :D Also finally setup hot water automation.

Why isn't my production higher? I have limited my export between 2.5 and 3.5kW due to voltage rise.

Advertisement