Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any news on eSIMs in Ireland?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭wassie

The Revolut esim is data only plan. i.e. no voice calls/sms included.

Obviously fine for calls over the internet eg Whatsapp, Signal, Facetime etc.

But if you need to get sms for 2FA codes for logins such as banking, email etc, you will also need another sim, although there generally there is no cost to receive these when roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PH0NER

Revolut is offering eSIMs through 1GLOBAL (previously Truphone). They've always been one of the pricier global eSIM apps in my experience. It's a data-only eSIM, so basically only good for roaming or if you need a different mobile network domestically for rare occasions.

Does anyone have insider info as to when Eir will launch eSIMs? I’m tempted to switch to Eir’s fibre with the €9.99 SIM add-on, but can’t with my US model iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I know Eir are due to launch some new website / apps so I assume the eSIM launch might tie to that. No idea when tho.

Their new website launched a couple weeks ago! I chatted both Eir and GoMo recently and both support reps said eSIM wasn’t a planned feature. I highly doubt that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

It's possible they just won't ever launch them I suppose. Better off switching networks than waiting around for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Stary

I converted my SIM number to an eSim today with Vodafone business. Painless and straightforward with the assistance from the chat representative. I want to add in a second number to my phone so that I can use it for personal and business use. Its an iPhone 14 pro max and locked in with VF.

Do I have to order an second business SIM (voice and Data) from vodafone or can I pick any type (prepay and PAYG, personal/business)?

I used an Airalo eSim recently when travelling to Canada and it worked well for data.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Tech_Head

Any type of SIM will work, just as if it was the only SIM in the phone.
    Check that your handset is actually locked to Vodafone first and check if they can unlock it for you - I’ve a Vodafone 15 Pro and they unlocked it right away when I applied online.

I have Vodafone Personal and Business, but can just as easily have a 3 and a Vodafone. You can have the second SIM as physical or eSIM too (at least on iPhone) - your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Stary

Great advice..so, the trick here is to get the phone unlocked. Thanks!

Advertisement