Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any news on eSIMs in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

FYI. eSim is now available with lycamobile.ie

I'd imagine the rest should follow quite soon, by year end anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No mention of ESim on their landing page anywhere

From a quick google

I have it working so it’s already available.

I have it working so it’s already available.

try https://www.lycamobile.ie/en/esim/how-to-order-an-esim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I'm amazed at how long this is taking tbh. The technical issues around it are relatively minor.

GoMo on eSIM would be ideal for my use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Must have been a glitch on their website because I've been able to activate now using the same payment card as before and same email etc. The actual process of activating esim is very quick and easy and to be honest, probably that bit quicker and hasslefree than Vodafones one because of Vodafones horrendous systems. Getting fast enough 4G on it and was worth a try for 7.50

Well they’re all working towards offering eSim by year end, according to Comreg anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭timefora_J

According to this thread Three have made eSIM available today, no support for Apple Watches at launch but it's coming supposedly

Post edited by timefora_J on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Existing customers apparently have to go to a store to get switched over to an eSIM currently but a couple of peopel have said they managed to get it sorted on the phone to customer support.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭martco

I read up on this subject a while back and one whitepaper in particular laid it out very well (think was one by pwc)

gist in the paper around virtualised sims anyway was that it could lead to a deliberate slow bicycle race amongst operators in certain markets because it would lead to improved options providing the conditions for customers to escape (or even think about escaping) their clutch€s....aka promoting competition...a horrid new world necessating innovative personalised higher grade of customer experience to attract their customers and more dyamic pricing VS the current approach of tricky hardwired bundles and contracts to squeeze them and nail 'em to their floor kinda thing....in other words the advent of esims are a potential threat and disruptor in certain market settings

not sure if that's the reason but based on the lack of competition in other areas in an economy like ours it rang true for me at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭wassie

100% thats the reason. Irish telcos have always been years behind when it comes to rolling out network features that benefit customers.

For example VoLTE, Wifi Calling and esim have been around in other markets for years before we got them.

Maybe EIR will surprise us all and launch eSIM for Phones & Apple Watch before anyone else......

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

I’m surprised Eir are so slow at launching eSIM. They were pretty fast (Relative to the Irish telecoms industry) launching WiFi calling and 5G and launched VoLTE years before Three.

The appear to be testing this using GomoWorld which is essentially an Eir eSIM without a number.

It's surprising alright that they're taking so long. Their sister networks, Free.fr and Salt.ch and Iliad.it all support it.

Salt even used Go-Mo.ch as a brand, just reusing all the Irish advertising btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭lordsheepface

Lyca esims seem to be gone off their website. As are vodafone.

Despite being able to get both last week.

Three process for esim seems easy enough and hassle free online.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Vodafone now support it on wearables but its currently locked to the top end Samsung watches...

Apple always take a bit longer to onboard due to their power over telcos but seriously VF need to hurry the **** up...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭lordsheepface

VF support wearables but at stupid billpay prices only.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Tech_Head

Vodafone’s implementation of eSIM is a joke. I had to move my eSIM to a new phone. Nobody could help, their system was “down”, was told to go to two different stores - neither of which could help.

Had to get a physical SIM delivered, activate that, delete the eSIM, then order a new one and activate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

When did you have that issue? I thought they had sorted their issues. I was able to move sim to another phone without any issues through their site about 2 months ago.

This week. I was able to do it fine before too. It appears to me that they are still working on eSIM. Sometimes the option to request an eSIM is there, sometimes it isn’t. This time I had to move to physical and then move to eSIM before the option would appear.

Response from both Vodafone’s stores were:

1. Does anyone know how to transfer an eSIM? With the guy then telling me I didn’t actually have an eSIM despite it being active and usable.
    2. That’s weird, I’ve not seen this before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I got one via Revolut offer of €10 a month for 12 months

using it to test between coverage of GoMo and Lyca, GoMo want €15 for 5G and GoMo signal is a bit crap in my area

its great having the 2 SIM cards

The QR code is still buried in your my Vodafone account. I just stored a copy of for future reference. Seems to work fine once you’ve the QR and PIN you can install it on any device.

I did try that too but it said it was invalid. It may have been a system issue at the time. The most I could get was one chat rep saying any existing ones need to be deactivated prior to the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I picked up an Apple Watch Ultra 1 the other week and didn't even realise Ireland's support for eSim wasn't there yet.

The whole point of me getting the watch was so that I could leave the phone at home. I spotted the mention of Lyca eSim in this thread the other week so that gave me some hope.

I was about to switch over to them from 48 but wondering if there is any point yet.

Is anyone using Lyca eSim with an Ultra? (or any eSim for that matter).

I see with Three eSim isn't available for wearables yet, but is that the case with others like Lyca? Vodafone is still Samsung only right?

Are there any options? or are we left waiting.

@caesar Left waiting. I believe there are some EU ones that will work BUT your watch will have its own number which defeats the point, for me at least.

The Apple Watch Ultra for Ireland makes no reference to cellular connectivity either, just GPS and WiFi. Does yours have the cellular option in the menu? Settings -> Mobile Service.

Post edited by Tech_Head on

Lyca don’t support eSIM on wearables currently. I jumped the gun and signed up for an account the moment I heard they had eSIM available but alas only for phones.

Three Ireland have mentioned 2024 for wearables.

Vodafone only support some Samsung wearables at the mo.

Eir are yet to make any move towards supporting eSIM.

We’re getting closer but it’s taking a bloody age.

All Apple Watch Ultras have cellular baked in thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I made the same mistake too, bought an Apple Watch for my daughter last year thinking the cellular capability would be handy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Not here it doesn't, it will reinstall on my iphone 14, but won't install on the new iphone, tells me the code is invalid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jusvi2001

Lyca esim option is gone from their website. anyone who are able to get the esim, how do you find the coverage and speed?

Advertisement