Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightshaming to London from Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I used to be able to just rock up at Euston at about 9 and get a virgin train to holyhead which would have me in my ma's house in Dublin by 6pm. All in all it didn't work out that much longer than flying without all the hanging around in terminals and getting to the airport.
    I never did it Dublin to London though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

flight shaming?? what clowns invented this??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

boardbeer wrote: »
    This plane would do Dubin to London and back on a charge, and its entering service in two years: Eviation Alice - with operating costs 1/5th of that of a jet, you could see it becoming a popular option.

A Prototype had a lot of damage caused to it by a fire in Arizona only last week

The Swedes, in an attempt to make us question if we need to fly so much, given how polluting it is.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/17/the-guardian-view-on-flight-shaming-face-it-life-must-change

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Shhh. It's a great idea. The more people get on board with it the easier it will be for the rest of us to book cheap flights

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    Shhh. It's a great idea. The more people get on board with it the easier it will be for the rest of us to book cheap flights

More likely airlines will begin to fold and prices will go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

More likely airlines will begin to fold and prices will go up.

Yeah, that risk occurred to me too. It's a fine line.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Social media!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

NIMAN wrote: »
    Interesting.

Ev cars are already very heavy due to the batteries.

Looking forward to see how they can get lightweight batteries into planes with enough energy to lift several hundred tonnes of plane, people and luggage into the air.

I'd imagine such planes will be festooned with lighweight PV panels; huge surface area to put them on and presumably they would fly high enough to be over cloud level most of the flight to get a decent amount solar energy. This could augment their battery packs. Or they could use them for commute only type flights where luggage would be a at a minimum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The Swedes, in an attempt to make us question if we need to fly so much, given how polluting it is.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/17/the-guardian-view-on-flight-shaming-face-it-life-must-change
    i'd never seen it expressed as 'flightshaming' till this thread, only ever as 'flight shame'. there's an important difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Was one of the first on a Eurolines from the UK to Holland years ago. Had a look at the back seat but there was a woman already on it and she appeared to lying down asleep - unlikely as she would have been only on it for a couple of minutes.

Clever chancer strategy says I slightly admiringly. A Dutch lad was having none of it "woke" her up and insisted she stop lying down so he could sit on one of the back seats :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

MOH wrote: »

The only way people will switch back to "foot passenger traffic" and "boat trains" is if flight prices go up, a lot. And that will only happen if there is an international agreement to start imposing large carbon taxes on flying.

And there is no sign of that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Not sure if anybody ever took 'The Magic Bus' from London to Athens in the late 80's/early 90's. It was between £50-60 one way. Was scheduled to take 3 days and 6 hours. Waaaayyy cheaper than a flight back then.

No booze and no drugs from London. Bus stopped in a Hypermarche near Calais so you could get off to buy a load of beer or wine. Stopped somewhere in Belgium to buy grass in a motorway lay-bye, the driver pulled a knife on the Belgian dealer when he wouldn't pay his commission. One toilet on board that was usually blocked somewhere in Germany; they would not empty it. Some very interesting people on board, some total headbangers too. No stops for showers as no stop was longer than 15-20 minutes. Any amount of aggro getting in and out of Yugoslavia and then Greece. Did it twice. Chaos/Madness.

They were the same company that ran the Magic Bus from London-Amsterdam and used to go to Kabul and Kathmandu on the Hippie trail in the 60's and 70's.

Never again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

KevRossi wrote: »
    No booze and no drugs from London. Bus stopped in a Hypermarche near Calais so you could get off to buy a load of beer or wine.

Well known that, when I went on a school trip all those years ago the teachers loaded up with a load of booze and sneaked it on board and hid it on the coach, inside dummy first aid boxes, hidden in sealed compartments of luggage compartment of coach and behind panels of the bus, among other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I’ll be shamed into not flying once there’s a bus, train, or piggyback that can get me to my destination, travelling non-stop at over 800km/h, for €29.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

nice to see the eco lobby out in force

Anyway it looks like 0215 ex Dublin then miss the 0555 train and pick up the 0655 arriving 1036 into Euston which is not terrible

COming back 1517 Ex Euston not a direct train tho then 2015 ferry and back in Dublin 2330

A sleeper car added to one train in each direction would be lovely but cant do it with Voyagers but the three or four hours kip would make all the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

easypazz wrote: »
    The only way people will switch back to "foot passenger traffic" and "boat trains" is if flight prices go up, a lot. And that will only happen if there is an international agreement to start imposing large carbon taxes on flying.

And there is no sign of that happening.

I switched from flying to doing the sail and rail 90% of the time now. Just cba with all the hostility and hassle of the airport experience. I only go between Chester and Dublin though, a bit more manageable than the full London trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Obscurium

This plane would do Dubin to London and back on a charge, and its entering service in two years: - with operating costs 1/5th of that of a jet, you could see it becoming a popular option.

This plane wouldn't be approved for Dublin to London flights as it's not equipped for over water flying. At best you could get some commuter flights out of it with maybe coast skimming but not over deep water.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Isn't flight shaming more to do with carbon footprints rather than cost and convenience?

True, can't see many employers allowing so much time to get to London and back when it can be done so quickly by air though (climate issues aside)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Flying is great for making the world accessible, flying is bad for accessing the world :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

do people claim DUB-SFO (for example) flying time as holiday time ? How many of you claim the 0625-0800 DUB-LGW or knock off from work at 1400 in recompense ... not a lot I'd say.

If there was a sleeping option on the train I'd be much happier about taking it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

If you want to go overnight, the 02:15 Stena sailing from Dublin port gets you in to Holyhead at 05:45. There is a 05:50 direct train to London which may be possible to get, but the 6:50 is more likely. That gets to Euston at around 10:30.

A rail and sail fare is €50 each way (€47 if prebooked by phone).

That sounds like an absolute nightmare tbh and in no way useful to anyone travelling to London for work. I travel over and back a few times a month and never travel in my own time, the options above would have me travelling almost exclusively in my own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,337 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

More resources would be wasted doing sail and rail/bus, you would be creating congestion for others going to and from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Polar101

I often do the Sail & Rail, as it's much more relaxed than airports and flying. Leave Dublin Port eight-ish and be in London before 4pm. Sure, if you're in a hurry it's not great, but at least you don't have to visit 2 airports. Never thought I was shaming anyone, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭G-Man

Nordics have it easy on their flightshaming....Did the Copenhagen to Hamburg across the Baltic stretch... Train from Copenhagen rolls onto the car deck of the ship and rolls off again after the crossing and continues to Hamburg... They have some high speed docking system, so it appears to just take minutes....

However they are now waiting for Fehmarn tunnel to be built so ferry will be eliminated... The biz case for tunnel, does not even appear good, but in terms of quality and reaching Brussels in one trip , the swedes want to pay big for this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Mr.S wrote: »
    I travel every 3-4 weeks with work, no chance in hell would I take public transport in lieu of a plane. Why on earth would I spend 12 hours travelling to london when you can do it in 2 hours?

If your company is big into being eco warriors, then just focus on a decent VC system and cut out travel all together.

A bus, to London! Imagine. I’d laugh in my colleagues face whoever tried to “shame” someone else for that :pac:

Planes are public transport.

Dublin o'connell street to central london in 2 hours?

I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

But only about a 1/3 of that gets used to do useful work, so it's down to a 1:16 ratio. Still not great for batteries, but they are likely to improve significantly with all the money being thrown at the problem.

Too much certainty. If time and money were the only obstacles to technological progress my laptop would already be charged by a fusion reactor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Fireball81 wrote: »
    True, can't see many employers allowing so much time to get to London and back when it can be done so quickly by air though (climate issues aside)

Employers should cop on and put policies in place to use VC's rather than pointless needless travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

easypazz wrote: »
    Planes are public transport.

Dublin o'connell street to central london in 2 hours?

I doubt it.

In substantially less than 12 hours. And the time spent at risk of being seated next to somebody you'd rather not be stuck beside is still 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

Ive done Dub Lon via boat and coach- awful - never again.

Has anyone done any real comparisons of the footprint difference - 12 hours of burning boat and coach dirty diesel is not exactly clean either.
    Fewer capacity in a coach also.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement