Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God has put us here for a reason

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

ChrisJ84 wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn’t mean to come across quite so snippy. It is closed for me in so far as I am satisfied with where I’ve landed in relation to these things. But this is an area where it is absolutely valid for Christians to agree to disagree. I’m satisfied that reformed theology is a consistent way to understand the sum total of what the bible has to say. But that doesn’t mean for a second that I think there aren't any loose ends, or that I have nothing left to learn or be corrected on.

We all think we have the best fit and it is okay to settle until something better comes along. But an openess to something coming along is better than supposing we have arrived at final destination.

And so the querying of a specific aspect of Reformed theology: upon what core elements is the notion that God choses who to save aside from anything in man?

As I understand it, some of these key elements include:

- God choses/predestines/elects man for salvation. My position is that scripture is very light in this direction when approached exegetically.

- man is unable to chose for God. Scripture is much more compelling in this direction, dead, wilful against, rebellious, hating, delighting in evil, etc.

It seems the clear inability for man to chose God, and salvation clearly being of God (so that none can boast of having contributed) produces the Reformed conclusion that God must chose who to save aside from anything in man

I think this a wrong conclusion because:

- it is not the only conclusion to be drawn from mans inability and salvation all of God

- the God choses who will be saved aside from anything in man is scripturally weak as I say

- a better way to accomodate the clear scriptural thrust that God wants that all would be saved.

The Reformed position has to appeal to mystery on this most significant point. It also has to find exotic ways to fit God desiring to save all men into into a mechanism whereby he nevertheless only choses to mysteriously saves a few.

It has the feel of a theology with an unnecessary leap of logic (man cannot chose for God, therefore God must chose man). And sets about mangling scripture to fit (such as relying on a tiny amount of scripture which indicates God choses man)

-

I think there is a far more elegant way to accommodate these apparently conflicting observations. And so I shifted from the problems posed by an equally problematic Arminianism (initially finding it the better of the two options), to somewhere between the two positions.

I've to go bit will respond to the rest of your post later..

The reconcilation I have arrived at and am exploring, is briefly, as follows:

1. God attempts to save all men. The mechanism whereby he calls all and draws all (for call and draw are words that fit an attempt). A fisherman draws fish but doesn't necessarily land them, for instance.

2. The mechanism of the drawing is multifold. It is also commoner garden (in that the same mechanism is applied to all men and there is nothing overtly spiritual about it on face value. An atheist or a Muslim or a Hindu are exposed in exactly the same way. Elements include

- the force applied by conscience, both positive (when we align with it) and negative (when we don't). R.Dawkins cited research into this, which concluded that at root, man the world over has the same basic conscience.

- the emptiness man feels that he cannot resolve by own means. He'll try to, but no matter what he does, he can't fill the void caused by God-missing. He was designed for relationship with God and unless that relationship restored, man will feel empty and alone in the world.

- the self-inflicted pain attaching to own sin.

- the pain inflicted by others sin on man and the pain inflicted by a cruel world.

So, conscience and pain. Common to all and the driving force of salvation.

3. This attempt of God is resistable. The will can ultimately, say no

4. Thus, all men will certainly be saved, unless they 'will it not'. Salvation certain unless resisted to the bitter end.

Such a means of salvation doesn't confound clear scriptural pointers:

- Gives all the credit to God if a man is saved. Man contributes nothing to his salvation.

- fits precisely with the nature of mans will. But uses his sinful will against him in the attempt at salvation. Sin brings trouble.

- fits the idea of God being love. Love is relational so God is Relational. That message is a drumbeat of scripture, finding its purest essence at the Cross. God is no place better described (says the bible) than he is in Jesus. 'Sovereign God mysteriously chosing some' must bow to that. If it doesn't have the hallmarks of love all over it, then reason to doubt the theology.

- doesn't see man chose for God. That's the Arminian position (again with some mysterious, unexplained work of God to alter rebellious, God-hating man so that he is able to chose God. Despite there not being a single NT reference to man choosing for God.

- it provides for a single mode of salvation that transcends time and place. Abraham, the atheist, the Hindu. This because it uses that which is common to all men. None of this: what about people who haven't heard of Jesus Christ.

- it deals directly with resolving and reversing the original problem: that monumental decision for man to strike out and become self-sufficient. The original sin. If that is the problem then salvation need involve rectification of the problem. God cannot simply override the will. It is God-given and good (whatever about how it was subsequently used). God must convince the will to surrender it's self- sufficiency. The provision of and respecting of a will given is too, a supremely relational thing. And relationship is the very essence of God (the Trinity). It cannot be trampled on.

Continued..

I would summarise my (reformed) position as “God is in control, at all times and with regard to every detail.” I would say that absolutely informs evangelism in extremis; no matter how bad things seem to be going (and Paul had it pretty bad), we don’t need to lose heart. I’m not saying we should be fatalists, I am saying that God’s sovereignty is unshakeable, and is the bedrock on which we can take our stand.

As you might appreciate from the above, a persons salvation doesn't depend on my evangelism. Rather, God includes us in his work. But if we don't evangelise, the salvation process will carry on between God and the individual using the common to all elements.

That's a fair request, and I’ll try and summarise my understanding as concisely as I can. By election, I mean God’s choosing of those he would redeem out of the human race, foreseen as fallen. Some of the relevant texts are Rom 8:28-39; Eph 1:13-14; 2 Thess 2:13-14; 2 Tim 1:9-10.

As stated, whilst the sin-directed will (the basis of the doctrine of Total Depravity) is well supported, God chosing who to saved (a la Reformed position) isn't. I've looked at Eph 1 and Rom 9 in this thread. Like I say, it appears the Reformed view concludes it necessary that God chose man (because man cannot chose God/ salvation all of God/ man doesn't contribute to his salvation). And then shoehorns a few verses into that view.
    This choosing is unconditional in that it isn’t not merited by anything in its subjects, because God doesn’t owe anyone mercy of any kind.

The mechanism I lay out doesn't really confound this. The trouble with such a broad brushstroke declaration (unconditional) is that it is impossible to demonstrate scripturally. You can exclude this amd that in man (such as his willing for or working towards his salvation). But cannot exclude all - since you cannot say what all would encompass.

If the condition is "all saved who don't will damnation", where would this be excluded biblically? Man contributes nothing to his salvation. Only to his damnation.

We don’t know who he has chosen out of those who don’t yet believe, or why he chooses any in particular, and so evangelism isn’t affected by this truth – it’s not something we have visibility into. Election is more of a pastoral doctrine, for Christians, as it should move us to appreciate how great is God’s grace that has saved us, and to motivate us to humility, confidence, joy etc.

That might satisfy you, but not me. Mystery and paradox leaves a question mark. Believing by blind (for mystery and paradox leave you blind) faith that God is just is one thing. Seeing that he is just and how he is just is another.

Faith, the substance, faith the evidence (Heb 1). Mystery amd paradox are not substantial. Nor are they evidential.

A mechanism which shows how God is fair and just, is to be preferred over one which doesn't. So long as it holds water, of course.

Romans 9 is important, and it does relate to the apparent displacement of physical Israel as God’s covenant people. But I don’t see how that can be neatly untied from what happens to individuals, since spiritual Israel is made up of all those who are saved by faith

The choosing has to do not only with a displacement of a nation, but also the displacement of covenant. The covenant of death (or law) served and serves a contributory purpose in the overall mechanism of salvation. A schoolteacher (just as the law by conscience and in the heart is a schoolteacher in the mechanism I described in my last post)

What the true nation entails says nothing at all about how one comes to be made a national of that nation.

The context, within Romans, is dealing with a specific objection. It can't be dragged into a commentary on everything under the sun. Besides, Paul has laid out gospel workings in stepwise fashion, to talk of salvation mechanism as applied to individuals, whilst also talking of the main theme - not physical Israel/not old covenant, would be an absurd thing to land

The approach which upsets Paul's forensic, carefully built up and logically progressing 'thesis' .. well, let's just say that 'on this rock' won't be getting me into that church on time.

Paul addresses this down through v17 when he uses the example of Pharaoh (an individual!) to show how this doesn’t imply injustice on God’s part. Incidentally, Paul then moves into Romans 10 and sees no contradiction with what he has just said about God’s sovereign choosing, and the fact that the message of salvation is open to all. Same goes for Ephesians 1:4 that you referenced, I don’t see how we can say it applies to Christians collectively, but not to Christians individually. Both are true.

I'll come back to this bit
    Last thing to say is that the reformed doctrines all flow into one another and logically imply and require one another; so, I don’t think you can hold total depravity and at the same time deny unconditional election.

Therein a weakness. If a key leg or two of the total has a weakness, and these feed into the whole, then the whole can crash down. God choosing is weak scripturally. Unconditional can only exclude conditions that are scripturally excluded, not all conditions. These are critical weaknesses.

As with Arminianism, I don't think the Reformed position entirely wrong. I've agreed with unconditional election to an extent (God does all the work in salvation) and total depravity to an extent (man cannot chose for God by disposition)

But there is this third way. A way to sidestep the inherent problems of both Arminianism's man-chooses-God and the Reformed view whereby man has nothing whatsoever to do with his eternal destination.
    And again, if any Christian has thought these things through and landed in a different place to me then I'm content for us to disagree.

I just find that there isn't the mystery. I find too that God is rendered visibily just. He operates in a way that is comprehensible and very down to earth.

Commoner garden elements involved in salvation and a way of operating that renders every effort at evangelising relevant - as opposed to the pot luckism of the Reformed way. I mean, you can't but be forced into wondering whether the person you are talking to is or isn't a chosen one of God. If not, then all you say to them is a complete waste of your energy. I believe God is Green. He wouldn't operate such an inefficient approach!

You might be prepared to be simply obedient. To evangelise because he says to. But to actually know what you do is effective (in principle) because all of what you do aligns with his activity towards salvation. That has a different quality to it.

A co-worker with Christ evangelising someone who will never be and was never going to be chosen. Isn't that digging a hole and filling it?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

Goodness me, those are a couple of long posts :eek: I'll do my best to respond thoroughly.
    And so the querying of a specific aspect of Reformed theology: upon what core elements is the notion that God choses who to save aside from anything in man?

The fact that we are totally depraved, i.e. that sin extends to and affects every part of us. This means that there is nothing good in us that would lead God to choose any one of us because we are “better” than anyone else. This is why what I said about the reformed doctrines building on one another is important; each one supposes the others.
    God choses/predestines/elects man for salvation. My position is that scripture is very light in this direction when approached exegetically

Really? I think this is a problem, as scripture abounds with references to God’s electing and choosing. I would have thought the question is more the grounds for the choosing than the fact of it.

Just one example, what do you think Ephesians 1:4 means?
    The Reformed position has to appeal to mystery on this most significant point. It also has to find exotic ways to fit God desiring to save all men into into a mechanism whereby he nevertheless only choses to mysteriously saves a few.

It seems to me that we have three options here:

- Actual universalism – Christ’s death secures salvation for every member of the human race. So, the atonement has unlimited efficacy and unlimited extent.
    - Hypothetical universalism – Christ’s death made salvation possible for everyone, but actual only for those who add a response of faith and repentance. So, the atonement has limited efficacy and unlimited extent.
    - Particular redemption – Christ’s death secured salvation for all the elect, and ensures they will be brought to faith and repentance. So, the atonement has unlimited efficacy but limited extent.

Scripture must be our guide in choosing between these, and I don’t think there are any other options available. I favour the third; it seems you favour a version of the second. Both are valid.
    The reconcilation I have arrived at and am exploring, is briefly, as follows

I think everything you say following this is a valid position for a Christian to hold; as I said, these are matters where it’s ok for us to differ. But I don’t think you’ve eliminated mystery. In particular, what does this do to the idea of God’s sovereignty?

Also, what is about some that makes them choose for God, and not others? How do we avoid saying that there is something good in them that allows them to do this?
    Mystery and paradox leaves a question mark. Believing by blind (for mystery and paradox leave you blind) faith that God is just is one thing. Seeing that he is just and how he is just is another.

We don’t have to have blind faith that God is just. He has said that he will judge sin and all wrong-doing; that is just. God has also shown himself to be just in saving some by sending Jesus as an atoning sacrifice for sin.
    The choosing has to do not only with a displacement of a nation, but also the displacement of covenant. The covenant of death (or law) served and serves a contributory purpose in the overall mechanism of salvation. A schoolteacher (just as the law by conscience and in the heart is a schoolteacher in the mechanism I described in my last post)

What the true nation entails says nothing at all about how one comes to be made a national of that nation.

This is a problem, and limits God’s sovereignty. It seems you’re saying in effect “God chooses to save his people, but whether you are in his people or not is up to you” Is that fair? I realise you said above that we contribute nothing to our salvation, but if God doesn’t choose and we don’t either, I’m really not sure where it leaves us.
    Commoner garden elements involved in salvation and a way of operating that renders every effort at evangelising relevant - as opposed to the pot luckism of the Reformed way.

I hope you realise this is a caricature of the Reformed position. It’s fine for us to disagree, but we shouldn’t misrepresent one another.
    I mean, you can't but be forced into wondering whether the person you are talking to is or isn't a chosen one of God. If not, then all you say to them is a complete waste of your energy. I believe God is Green. He wouldn't operate such an inefficient approach!

Evangelism is never a waste of time, whether someone responds positively or not.
    You might be prepared to be simply obedient. To evangelise because he says to. But to actually know what you do is effective (in principle) because all of what you do aligns with his activity towards salvation. That has a different quality to it.

Bluntly, that is exactly what we are called to – obedient faithfulness. Believing strongly in God’s sovereignty is in fact the only way to be certain that any of our evangelistic efforts will bear fruit – because God is at work in and through us.

Edit: Thanks, btw, for taking the time to lay out your thinking so thoroughly.

Goodness me, those are a couple of long posts

That was brief! Your Lloyd Jones took 12 or so thick enough and very dense books to expound on the book of Romans. Well worth it though.

Quick question for you - I'll be busy for a bit.

You know where God noted that "man did only evil all the time" (Gen 6:5). Now this would be good support for the idea of Total Depravity. Man utterly incapable, by disposition, from responding to God.

Yet man does good. It won't save him in a works of the law, dare I say, Roman Catholic way. But good he does. He can be compassionate, kind, self sacrificing, loving. In his being so he is displaying the image of God (or characteristics of God). He is responding to a God-given conscience regarding what is good.

Total Depravity, yet man responding to and aligning with godliness. Man doesn't only do only evil all the time. Yet God noted that he does.

-

In the middle east still, hyperbole is, apparently, a common way of emphasising something. The example given was of a market place. If you make a low, but not reasonable offer on an item, the vendor will throw his hands in the air and cry out the heaven regarding the insulting nature of the offer made. He is being hyperbolic, merely stating his position that your offer is too low and he wants to drive it upwards.

How are we to approach "only evil all the time" in light of this?

If man is indeed able to respond to God, even if he doesn't know it, we now have a line of communication between God and man. Total Depravity says there is nothing in man. Yet there is something in man that can be evaluated - namely his response to God's prompting/that element of God installed in man and not fully extinguished.

How does Total Depravity accommodate this seeming fact? I think it must bow. Now I'm sure I've read that Total Depravity doesn't mean man is always as evil as he can be - a nod to what I have been saying perhaps.

P.S. this, of course, raises the issue of what "all scripture is God breathe" means. Are we to suppose 'breathe' means 'put God's literal words in their mouth'? Or that God (who's character is revealed perfectly in Christ) ordered the slaying of nations, just because the Bible says so?

That was brief! Your Lloyd Jones took 12 or so thick enough and very dense books to expound on the book of Romans. Well worth it though.

Quick question for you - I'll be busy for a bit.

You know where God noted that "man did only evil all the time" (Gen 6:5). Now this would be good support for the idea of Total Depravity. Man utterly incapable, by disposition, from responding to God.

Yet man does good. It won't save him in a works of the law, dare I say, Roman Catholic way. But good he does. He can be compassionate, kind, self sacrificing, loving. In his being so he is displaying the image of God (or characteristics of God). He is responding to a God-given conscience regarding what is good.

Total Depravity, yet man responding to and aligning with godliness. Man doesn't only do only evil all the time. Yet God noted that he does.

-

In the middle east still, hyperbole is, apparently, a common way of emphasising something. The example given was of a market place. If you make a low, but not reasonable offer on an item, the vendor will throw his hands in the air and cry out the heaven regarding the insulting nature of the offer made. He is being hyperbolic, merely stating his position that your offer is too low and he wants to drive it upwards.

How are we to approach "only evil all the time" in light of this?

If man is indeed able to respond to God, even if he doesn't know it, we now have a line of communication between God and man. Total Depravity says there is nothing in man. Yet there is something in man that can be evaluated - namely his response to God's prompting/that of God installed in him and not fully extinguished.

How does Total Depravity accommodate this seeming fact? I think it must bow.

P.S. this, of course, raises the issue of what "all scripture is God breate". Are we to suppose breathe means 'put God's literal words in their mouth'? Or that God (who's character is revealed in Christ) ordered the slaying of nations?

The reformed doctrine of total depravity, as I understand it, doesn't say that each of us is as bad as we possibly could be, or that we don't do anything that is good. Rather, the point is that sin extends to every facet of our being, and even taints the good things we do. So, we are dead in and enslaved to sin, and can't contribute anything to our own salvation.

Hence the shocking statement that even our good deeds are filthy rags - apart from Jesus.

• Advertisement

The reformed doctrine of total depravity, as I understand it, doesn't say that each of us is as bad as we possibly could be, or that we don't do anything that is good. Rather, the point is that sin extends to every facet of our being, and even taints the good things we do. So, we are dead in and enslaved to sin, and can't contribute anything to our own salvation.

Hence the shocking statement that even our good deeds are filthy rags - apart from Jesus.

Romans 3:10 (filthy rags) appears in the initial argument (running 1:18 to 3:20) which demolishes righteousness through the law (or salvation by law adherence). Having dealt with that issue, 3:21 commences the next section, the actual situation: righteousness through faith.

[This, btw, is an example of Paul's systematic working through things: before introducing the new covenant, he removes the old covenant. It is not appropriate to pluck a verse from its clear context and apply it where it is not intended to be applied. What you have done with 3:10 is the same as what is done in plucking out elements of Romans 9 to have it speak about individual salvation, when that is not what the passage addresses (national/covenant displacement.)]

I'm not saying salvation can be obtained through law adherence (the mechanism of the old covenant), I'm saying his good finds a place in the workings of the new covenant, as outlined earlier. His good doesn't make him righteous, rather, it is a response to God and therefore, can be an element in the workings of the mechanism of new covenant salvation.

Man man might be dead to God. But he isn't dead to the influence of God installed in him. He responds to it, whether in the positive or the negative.

It is a leap of logic to suppose that because his good cannot save him via the old covenant, it has no place in the workings of the new. That would be an unfounded extrapolation.

-

You agree man can do good. Do you also agree that his doing good involves his will?

In which way do you suppose his will partakes in producing good, given he is supposedly enslaved by evil?

Romans 3:10 (filthy rags) appears in the initial argument (running 1:18 to 3:20) which demolishes righteousness through the law (or salvation by law adherence). Having dealt with that issue, 3:21 commences the next section, the actual situation: righteousness through faith.

[This, btw, is an example of Paul's systematic working through things: before introducing the new covenant, he removes the old covenant. It is not appropriate to pluck a verse from its clear context and apply it where it is not intended to be applied. What you have done with 3:10 is the same as what is done in plucking out elements of Romans 9 to have it speak about individual salvation, when that is not what the passage addresses (national/covenant displacement.)]

That's not what I'm doing. Paul (and Isaiah) is pointing to our standing before God, apart from faith. We have no merit whatsoever. It sounds like you agree with this.

The question then becomes, where does the faith that saves us from this predicament come from? I want to say that it comes from God, ultimately. We certainly respond, and our response of faith is genuinely ours, but God is in and over it, otherwise we would never respond in that way and would remain dead / enslaved.
    Man man might be dead to God. But he isn't dead to the influence of God installed in him. He responds to it, whether in the positive or the negative.
    You agree man can do good. Do you also agree that his doing good involves his will?

In which way do you suppose his will partakes in producing good, given he is supposedly enslaved by evil?

There is an important distinction here between common grace and saving grace. All people still bear God's image, and God restrains evil in the world so that things aren't as bad as they might be. But this altogether different from being counted as righteous in God's sight, which is what we are talking about.
    It is a leap of logic to suppose that because his good cannot save him via the old covenant, it has no place in the workings of the new. That would be an unfounded extrapolation.

Our doing good has a place, but after salvation. It is a necessary fruit and sign of the change wrought by God in us. It doesn't have any place prior to salvation, as Paul makes clear in the passage you cited.

Just a thought, but given you've mentioned Greg Boyd several times recently I assume you favour a form of open theism. What would you recommend as a good primer for someone like me to understand you better?

As for me, I'd recommend you read J. I. Packers "Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God." In fact, this conversation makes me want to re-read it myself! :)

That's not what I'm doing. Paul (and Isaiah) is pointing to our standing before God, apart from faith. We have no merit whatsoever. It sounds like you agree with this.

As stated, Paul's use of filthy rags deals with salvation by law. That is the clear context. Our righteousness (let's call them our positive responses to God) isn't enough to save by law. Filthy rags only has relevance were we to rely on a by-law defence.

The issue though, is how man's responses to God (resulting in good AND evil) might fit into the mechanism of salvation by faith. That man's righteousness (his 'but I lived a good life' defence) are deemed filthy rags in the context of salvation by law has no automatic bearing on salvation by faith. You cannot extrapolate it's insufficiency in the former mechanism to insufficiency or irrelevancy in the latter mechanism.

The word 'merit' isn't a biblical expression. Rather its a conclusion drawn, perhaps aided by extrapolating filthy rags into the mechanism of salvation by faith. You can exclude mans participation only insofar as the bible permits you to. For instance, you can exclude man participating in his salvation by:

- willing it
    - choosing it
    - acting righteously
    - etc.

... what you cannot do is exclude every possible avenue of participation not excluded by the bible, as the above are excluded. To do so is to make leap.

The question then becomes, where does the faith that saves us from this predicament come from? I want to say that it comes from God, ultimately. We certainly respond, and our response of faith is genuinely ours, but God is in and over it, otherwise we would never respond in that way and would remain dead / enslaved.

The question is indeed how we arrive at this point. You say God choses to for reasons unknown. I say the mechanism aimed at saving all men can result in a particular man fulfilling God's criteria for granting it. This, without confounding the things (some of which above) that are scripturally excluded as being a route for man fulfilling God's criteria

I gave the example of a fish being caught. Does the fish contribute positively to his being caught? Well, no. The fish wills only to escape. Has the fish an input into being caught? Well he does. The extent to which he wiggles to free himself from the hook has a direct bearing on whether he is landed or not. A very direct bearing. If his will is exhausted and his struggle against ceases he will have been landed by the skill, effort amd perserverance of the fisherman. No credit to the fish. If not landed (damnation) it is despite the skill and effort of the fisherman. The fish, like a stubborn, sinful Jerusalem, who God longed to gather under his wings as a hen does chicks, "willed it not"

There is an important distinction here between common grace and saving grace. All people still bear God's image, and God restrains evil in the world so that things aren't as bad as they might be

The distinction is yours. Common grace, I would argue, is a fundamental element in the attempt to save all. The restraint applied is a by-product of that. Saving grace would merely be common grace come to full fruition. A success for the common attempt to save all, resulting in someone saved.

Our doing good .. It doesn't have any place prior to salvation, as Paul makes clear in the passage you cited.

It has no place in salvation by law. Is all Paul says. You extrapolate without basis going beyond that. You cannot get scripture to say man's God-response (good, bad and neither good nor bad*) has no place in salvation by faith.

* is an atheist awestruck, humbled and rendered small and conflictually insignificant (for he knows he is significant) by the scale of the universe on a star-studded night .. a 'good' response to a communication from God aimed at achieving precisely this? I would have better said he is responding to God appropriately.

Just a thought, but given you've mentioned Greg Boyd several times recently I assume you favour a form of open theism.

I haven't looked into it. I saw Boyd once when he was talking about it - but that was early Christian years and I was more interested in how the YEC movement argued it case (laughably, as it happens, in retrospect)

I remembered him as a good communicator though - and someone who was really, really excited about God. So when bored to death and dispirited with the level of what I was hearing locally and needing a bit of ready-made fayre I looked him up.

He argues a God who is much more relational, much more down to earth (hardly surprising that, seeing as he did come down to earth), much more straightforward and comprehensible than is the 'model' typically posited. Paul's doxology is warranted. But Paul speaks so after having expounded on a magnificent, logical, fair, loving, monumental and vital attempt by God to rectify the seemingly unrecifiable. It is his having understood such a wonderful action of God, having been blown away by what he HAS understood, that drives Paul to exclaim as he does. 'How magnificent God must be to have conceived such a grace filled and astonishingly brilliant Jew and Gentile salvation'.

What would you recommend as a good primer for someone like me to understand you better?

No idea. I've listened to all sorts and have formed the view I have myself (although I see others online seeking similarily). Boyd, from the little I've looked into it, might be an Arminian - I ought to write to him om the matter. ML Jones, who imbued in me an approach to scripture that took nothing on face value was Reformed. Fergus Ryan in Dublin (an Irish version of Boyd in his probing from unusual angles and not one to settle for a fixed view) has stepped back into near retirement from teaching. Oh, and I'm a mechanical engineer. My nose for a well designed mechanism smells something badly amiss with the Reformed and Arminian views. And given the obvious interesting puzzle (how is a man actually saved - in plain speak??) I figured to go digging.

I was far more taken with Applied Maths than Maths. The approach to theology takes the latter form - people look only at scripture for salvation mechanism and ignore the fact that scripture is applied on the ground. By looking at what happens on the ground: how man applies what scripture says about him, you can check your understanding of scripture. If scripture seems to confound what's happening on the ground, then reason to check whether your view of scripture is accurate.

So. Not a sola scripturalist, me.

It's as much the folk I disagree with (such as yourself) who help guide the path as the folk I find agreement with. You say 'mystery' I look for a basis. And find that my view happens to align with the notion of God attempting to deal with two inescapables, inescapable even by him:

- the core root nature of sin: man seeking self sufficiency, the original sin. It's there and can't be magicked under the carpet. God is confined to operating legally in its defeat. He is holy and must be wholesome in his dealings.

- man's God-given sovereignty. He can't just take it away. Man must relinquish it, for it is his to have and to hold if he insists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

- the core root nature of sin: man seeking self sufficiency, the original sin. It's there and can't be magicked under the carpet. God is confined to operating legally in its defeat. He is holy and must be wholesome in his dealings.

- man's God-given sovereignty. He can't just take it away. Man must relinquish it, for it is his to have and to hold if he insists.

What you've written above is really food for thought, AS.

Probably the most thought provoking messages written in this section of the forum. I kid you not.

hinault wrote: »
    What you've written above is really food for thought, AS.

Probably the most thought provoking messages written in this section of the forum. I kid you not.

Cheers hinault.

The Lord giveth, but the Lord cannot just take away.

:)

As stated, Paul's use of filthy rags deals with salvation by law. That is the clear context. Our righteousness (let's call them our positive responses to God) isn't enough to save by law. Filthy rags only has relevance were we to rely on a by-law defence.

The issue though, is how man's responses to God (resulting in good AND evil) might fit into the mechanism of salvation by faith. That man's righteousness (his 'but I lived a good life' defence) are deemed filthy rags in the context of salvation by law has no automatic bearing on salvation by faith. You cannot extrapolate it's insufficiency in the former mechanism to insufficiency or irrelevancy in the latter mechanism.

But it does - scripture consistently juxtaposes salvation by law and salvation by faith - salvation by our efforts and salvation that rests on what God has done.

Our good works are important, but as a necessary evidence of our justification by faith. They play no part whatsoever in that justification, otherwise we are smuggling in works salvation by the back door.
    The question is indeed how we arrive at this point. You say God choses to for reasons unknown. I say the mechanism aimed at saving all men can result in a particular man fulfilling God's criteria for granting it. This, without confounding the things (some of which above) that are scripturally excluded as being a route for man fulfilling God's criteria

Correct, for reasons unknown to us and not based on anything good in us. I don't know how else we can make sense of passages like Romans 9:6-21. God is sovereign, and his sovereignty extends to salvation. That should be encouraging to Christians.

The danger in what you are proposing (if I understand you correctly) is that it inserts a measure of works into our justification.
    I gave the example of a fish being caught. Does the fish contribute positively to his being caught? Well, no. The fish wills only to escape. Has the fish an input into being caught? Well he does. The extent to which he wiggles to free himself from the hook has a direct bearing on whether he is landed or not. A very direct bearing. If his will is exhausted and his struggle against ceases he will have been landed by the skill, effort amd perserverance of the fisherman. No credit to the fish. If not landed (damnation) it is despite the skill and effort of the fisherman. The fish, like a stubborn, sinful Jerusalem, who God longed to gather under his wings as a hen does chicks, "willed it not"

As above, the flaw in your illustration is that it discounts the existence of a sovereign fisherman with an irresistible hook :)

There is definitely tension between divine sovereignty and human responsibility, but I don't think it's eliminated by your proposal. As I said above, I think you're just introducing more problems.
    The distinction is yours. Common grace, I would argue, is a fundamental element in the attempt to save all. The restraint applied is a by-product of that. Saving grace would merely be common grace come to full fruition. A success for the common attempt to save all, resulting in someone saved.

The idea of common grace isn't a novel one, and merely reflects the fact that God does good to all, whether they are saved or not. I don't think it's really legitimate to blur the two.

But it does - scripture consistently juxtaposes salvation by law and salvation by faith - salvation by our efforts and salvation that rests on what God has done.

Our good works are important, but as a necessary evidence of our justification by faith. They play no part whatsoever in that justification, otherwise we are smuggling in works salvation by the back door.

Correct, for reasons unknown to us and not based on anything good in us. I don't know how else we can make sense of passages like Romans 9:6-21. God is sovereign, and his sovereignty extends to salvation. That should be encouraging to Christians.

The danger in what you are proposing (if I understand you correctly) is that it inserts a measure of works into our justification.

As above, the flaw in your illustration is that it discounts the existence of a sovereign fisherman with an irresistible hook :)

There is definitely tension between divine sovereignty and human responsibility, but I don't think it's eliminated by your proposal. As I said above, I think you're just introducing more problems.

The idea of common grace isn't a novel one, and merely reflects the fact that God does good to all, whether they are saved or not. I don't think it's really legitimate to blur the two.

I'll get back to but for now, you have misunderstood and I haven't elaborated suffiiciently.

Our good AND our bad can be inserted into a mechanism of salvation by faith. Wihout ourgood having anything to do with a 'merited by good' salvation. That salvation is indeed excluded by scripture.

Both the good and the bad drive a person in a direction, just as left steer/right steer have us in a direction.

Insofar as the good contributes, it does so because it allows us see that we are bad.

See Romans 7 man, the good he knows signposts his bad.

Later.

I'll get back to but for now, you have misunderstood and I haven't elaborated suffiiciently.

Our good AND our bad can be inserted into a mechanism of salvation by faith. Wihout ourgood having anything to do with a 'merited by good' salvation. That salvation is indeed excluded by scripture.

Both the good and the bad drive a person in a direction, just as left steer/right steer have us in a direction.

Insofar as the good contributes, it does so because it allows us see that we are bad.

See Romans 7 man, the good he knows signposts his bad.

Later.

Thanks antiskeptic, I thought there was a good chance I was misunderstanding you! :)

For what it's worth, I do think we need to be extremely careful about excluding any hint of works (our goodness / badness) from justification by faith. But looking forward to your thoughts on this.

On Romans 7, I read it as referring primarily to the experience of believers. Again, keen to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks antiskeptic, I thought there was a good chance I was misunderstanding you! :)

For what it's worth, I do think we need to be extremely careful about excluding any hint of works (our goodness / badness) from justification by faith. But looking forward to your thoughts on this.

On Romans 7, I read it as referring primarily to the experience of believers. Again, keen to hear your thoughts it.

Works excluded refers to good works as a 'building up brownie points' thing. Such meritousness is excluded. I don't see bad works .. which builds up negative brownie points being excluded from a faith mode of salvation.

Romans 7 has the man exclaim at the end 'who will save me from this body of death?' Indeed, the whole section sees the man writhing and confused and at a loss. That isn't a believers exclaimation, nor is it his confusion - the believer doesn't have to ask that question since he knows who will save him from this body of death. He is not confused - he knows precisely what is going on

I would argue that the space between the end of that sentence and the next "thanks be to God through Jesus Christ" is the transition into salvation. From lost and not knowing who will save. To found and knowing who has saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WengerOutIn

From lost and not knowing who will save. To found and knowing who has saved.

Perhaps it is not a question of knowing. No one can know God, well at least at the moment. However, perhaps it is enough to know that you are loved. God so loved the world. Found and loved e.g. the prodigal son, lost and was found.

Perhaps it is not a question of knowing. No one can know God, well at least at the moment. However, perhaps it is enough to know that you are loved. God so loved the world. Found and loved e.g. the prodigal son, lost and was found.

Can't know God?? Whereever did you get that idea?

Can't know God?? Whereever did you get that idea?
    Ok, roll it back. What is your idea of 'knowing' God? To know the one who saves, what do you mean by know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

God is dog backwards.

• Advertisement

Titclamp wrote: »
    God is dog backwards.
    revelatory in the extreme 🀣

Ok, roll it back. What is your idea of 'knowing' God? To know the one who saves, what do you mean by know.

Know God as in communcate with him and him communicate with me. To know and experience his character and attributes. To share an amusing moment. To see him in what he has made and what he does.

Kind of like the way you know anyone. Even if you don't fully know anyone. Okay, sin gets in the way, like any kind of distance gets in the way of knowing someone. So its a degree of knowing. Just like anyone.

Know God as in communcate with him and him communicate with me. To know and experience his character and attributes. To share an amusing moment. To see him in what he has made and what he does.

Kind of like the way you know anyone. Even if you don't fully know anyone. Okay, sin gets in the way, like any kind of distance gets in the way of knowing someone. So its a degree of knowing. Just like anyone.

Ok fair enough, the personal encounter with the Almighty. I would see this as a way of experiencing His love, so in that way you know God, in so far as we can.

As I have often said, my being a mechanical engineer informs the way I approach theology. Mechanism can be understood by looking at how individual components are connected to the larger entity. You trace your way through bit by bit amd gradually you come to understand the whole.

A key element in this is, as you start to glimpse the whole (even though you don't understand everything) is spotting when someone says component x does this. And it clashes. It doesn't fit in the emerging whole so there must be another explanation.

And I find that's the case. Take your 'God choosing man' view. It clashes. And when you examine what undergirds that idea, you find it founded on

- a limited number of isolated verses or passages. The same old ones get hauled out again and again. Ephesians 'God chose us in him'

- a leap of logic that because man can't choose God, God must choose man. And so, the turning to the above passages.

We have already looked at Romans 9: in context, a passage dealing with Israels displacement. A dealing with an obvious objection that would be raised to the gospel of faith, first to Jew then Gentile. There is absolutely no exegetical basis for extending the context into individual salvation - other than the a priori need to find support for God choses man, due to the aforementioned leap of logic.

The leap of logic drives the reading. Eisegiesis.

We have also dealt with Ephesians 'chose us in him'. Us in him are Christians. They are the addressees of what is said. God chose such and such would occur to Christians. He presestined that such and such would occur to Christians. You cannot haul God chose us to be Christians from a verse talking about what is to be applied to Christians.

Anyway. A clash. Leap of logic and poor scriptural support says that is not how the components connect up.

-

As an engineer, I understand the process of wiggling a loose tooth free. When you wiggle left, you put connective tissue to one side under tension. This stress causes connections to break. On the other side of the tooth, connections are placed under compressive forces which too damages connections.

This cycle of successive compression/tension events, connections being broken bit by bit, ultimately weakening the remaining structure to the point where it can't hold out against the load is called 'fatique failure'. The DeHavilland Comet plane failures occurred this way. Successive pressurisations and depressurisations causes connections to break. Cracks. The cracks progressed until the rest of the structure wasn't strong enough to withstand the forces involved. And you had catastrophic, sudden failure of the remaining structure.

Fatigue. A kind of tiredness brought about repeated exposure to loads that of themselves could easily be withstood by the structure.

-

Our good and bad are like that. Our good doing involves forces in one direction. We experience nice things, nice feelings, respect, a good name, a clean conscience, inner peace and joy. Contentment. But our sin ensures we are wiggled in the other direction. Our bad brings trouble. A guilty conscience, unease, trouble, guilt, shame, addictions, emptiness. Our sense of something wrong with us is amplified by the fact of our good. We know what we ought to do but we don't do it.

Those forces are at work in everyone. And it produces fatigue. We try to patch the cracks and fill the voids. Why do you think young children are so full of joy and bounce and older people so much less so. Fatigue.

So, not good as is meriting salvation. Rather, salvation brought about by a process of fatigue using our good and bad.

The law (what is good) written in our very being, being but a schoolteacher. Or a crack inducing force.

What is fatigued? Well, our self directed, self interested life. Sin is the output of a life that is self directed and self interested. Think of the worst public sinners. A Hitler. What was he doing but putting self desire above others interests to the very most extreme degree.

The key, as I said at the start is to consider the whole - not a piece of scripture wrenched completely out of context. The whole says the problem of man is self direction (which can only lead to self interest which can only lead to sin). It was the first, original sin. The solution HAS to tackle this problem. And the story of the bible, loud and crystal clear, is God wrestling with this aspect of man. Not through 'sovereign power' but by tooth wriggling. He urges, he pleads, he has enough, he mourns, he cries. He doesn't "God's Sovereign Power"

There simply is no other explanation available which comes anywhere close - when taking in the whole.

I'm not saying I'm right. But the others, reformed most especially are stark raving bonkers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

As I have often said, my being a mechanical engineer informs the way I approach theology. Mechanism can be understood by looking at how individual components are connected to the larger entity. You trace your way through bit by bit amd gradually you come to understand the whole.

A key element in this is, as you start to glimpse the whole (even though you don't understand everything) is spotting when someone says component x does this. And it clashes. It doesn't fit in the emerging whole so there must be another explanation.

And I find that's the case. Take your 'God choosing man' view. It clashes. And when you examine what undergirds that idea, you find it founded on

- a limited number of isolated verses or passages. The same old ones get hauled out again and again. Ephesians 'God chose us in him'

- a leap of logic that because man can't choose God, God must choose man. And so, the turning to the above passages.

We have already looked at Romans 9: in context, a passage dealing with Israels displacement. A dealing with an obvious objection that would be raised to the gospel of faith, first to Jew then Gentile. There is absolutely no exegetical basis for extending the context into individual salvation - other than the a priori need to find support for God choses man, due to the aforementioned leap of logic.

We have also dealt with Ephesians 'chose us in him'. Us in him are Christians. They are the addressees of what is said. God chose such and such would occur to Christians. He presestined that such and such would occur to Christians. You cannot haul God chose us to be Christians from a verse talking about what is to be applied to Christians.

Anyway. A clash. Leap of logic and poor scriptural support says that is not how the components connect up.

-

As an engineer, I understand the process of wiggling a loose tooth free. When you wiggle left, you put connective tissue to one side under tension. This stress causes connections to break. On the other side of the tooth, connections are placed under compressive forces which too damages connections.

This cycle of successive compression/tension events, connections being broken bit by bit, ultimately weakening the remaining structure to the point where it can't hold out against the load is called 'fatique failure'. The DeHavilland Comet plane failures occurred this way. Successive pressurisations and depressurisations causes connections to break. Cracks. The cracks progressed until the rest of the structure wasn't strong enough to withstand the forces involved. And you had catastrophic, sudden failure of the remaining structure.

Fatigue. A kind of tiredness brought about repeated exposure to loads that of themselves could easily be withstood by the structure.

-

Our good and bad are like that. Our good doing involves forces in one direction. We experience nice things, nice feelings, respect, a good name, a clean conscience, inner peace and joy. Contentment. But our sin ensures we are wiggled in the other direction. Our bad brings trouble. A guilty conscience, unease, trouble, guilt, shame, addictions, emptiness. Our sense of something wrong with us is amplified by the fact of our good. We know what we ought to do but we don't do it.

Those forces are at work in everyone. And it produces fatigue. We try to patch the cracks and fill the voids. Why do you think young children are so full of joy and bounce and older people so much less so. Fatigue.

So, not good as is meriting salvation. Rather, salvation brought about by a process of fatigue using our good and bad.

The law (what is good) written in our very being, being but a schoolteacher. Or a crack inducing force.

What is fatigued? Well, our self directed, self interested life. Sin is the output of a life that is self directed and self interested. Think of the worst public sinners. A Hitler. What was he doing but putting self desire above others interests to the very most extreme degree.

The key, as I said at the start is to consider the whole - not a piece of scripture wrenched completely out of context. The whole says the problem of man is self direction (which can only lead to self interest which can only lead to sin). It was the first, original sin. The solution HAS to tackle this problem. And the story of the bible, loud and crystal clear, is God wrestling with this aspect of man. Not through 'sovereign power' but by tooth wriggling. He urges, he pleads, he has enough, he mourns, he cries. He doesn't "God's Sovereign Power"

There simply is no other explanation available which comes anywhere close - when taking in the whole.

I'm not saying I'm right. But the others, reformed most especially are stark raving bonkers!

GOD - Good Orderly Direction.

-

-

My position, simply, is that God is sovereign at all times and in all places. It would be odd if he were sovereign everywhere with the exception of the most important, most significant area of life - the very issue that led to him sending his Son to die on a cross - the salvation of sinners.

On Romans 9, I think that it's clear that Paul has salvation in view and not merely historical Israel - particularly in verse 11, when he talks about works and calling.

And I get where you're coming from with fatigue, and good and bad pulling us in different directions. From our perspective, that is how things appear. But when I read the Bible, I'm confronted with one who is in, above and over those subjective experiences, and who is perfectly in control throughout. As Paul said, who can resist his will?

But I'm also happy to agree to disagree on this, it's not as if reformed theology is the only valid option open to the Christian :)

My position, simply, is that God is sovereign at all times and in all places.

It would be odd if he were sovereign everywhere with the exception of the most important, most significant area of life - the very issue that led to him sending his Son to die on a cross - the salvation of sinners.

If God in his sovereignty decided to create a man with own will and have a man decide his destiny (even if not by the route chose for/choose against), how would that affect his sovereignty? Can God, in his sovereignty not do just this?

His sovereignty isn't affected at all by laying man's destiny in man's hands. And God will surely gather you under his wings, as a hen her chicks, unless he wills it not. Man decides.

On Romans 9, I think that it's clear that Paul has salvation in view and not merely historical Israel - particularly in verse 11, when he talks about works and calling.

Paul builds all his argument carefully. He employs connecting words like 'therefore' and 'consequently' all the time, precisely to make sure we follow his train of thought. He places CHAPTER-sized parentheses in the middle of the running argument stretching from Romans 1-11 in order to go and deal with an objection. He deals again with an objection to his gospel in chapter 9.

vs 1-5 Israel/nation

vs 6-9 Israel/nation

vs 10-13. Starts out with "not only that". He is directly connecting to the argument above v 10, adding to it, building on it - for this is his way. Above we have seen that God runs salvation through a spiritual line (represented by a person) not physical lines (also represented by a person). Jacob is the line, not Esau. It is God's sovereign choice that this be so.

vs 14-18 is worth looking at in this context
    14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15 For he says to Moses,

“I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
    and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

The "whom" isn't an individual - for there is up to this point no dealing with individuals. The context is still spiritual vs physical routes of salvation. The same two routes that Paul has been arguing since the start of the book.

Is God unjust in displacing Israel? Or running salvation down spiritual rather than physical lines? By no means! To consider his dealings with Pharaoh as concerning an individual and to ignore this chapters using of individuals to represent the route and not-route of salvation, is to utterly jump tracks. To do this is to ignore the rail Paul is on and to squeeze out something that simply isn't there. It's nothing short of quote-mining.

On this rock-ism :)

vs 19-21. In a chapter aimed at dealing with an objection we should not be surprised to have him specify the objection. "One of you will say to me". Objection to what? Well objection to the theme of the chapter - Israel's displacement. It is only by ignoring the use of individuals-as-lineage (think of the salvation line already cast through individuals: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob) and switching to salvation of individuals-as-individuals that you can switch tracks to consider individual salvation being dealt with here.

vs 22-29. Look at the references: 25,26,27 ... "my people who are not my people". In other words: My people (spiritual nationhood) who are not my people (because physical Israel had been considered his people). Nationhood talk, it's all nationhood and which nation is truly God's nation.

vs. 30-33. He wraps it all up - the argument of the chapter - with a "what shall we say then". What do we conclude from the above argument?
    31 but the people of Israel, who pursued the law as the way of righteousness, have not attained their goal.
    “See, I lay in Zion a stone that causes people to stumble

Israel/Zion. A nation. A nation displaced. That's the argument. It starts that way. It middles that way (using individuals as lineage). It deals with an objection to that way - pointing to God's sovereignty allowing him to saved how he wants to save. And it ends that way. All nation talk.

Individual salvation? Not a hope. There is no argument being made for it. Just a plucking of seemingly supporting verses (e.g. Jacob loved/Esau hated) right out of their context. You have to ignore all the connecting Paul does in the chapter (and which he does through the book), his tying what he is saying to the previous thing he has said .. in order for your system to work. Indeed, you have to trample all over his motivation for connecting the next thing to the last. He is going step by step through the argument precisely so that we will not do what you are doing - wander off track. And you are breaking that connection (nation > nation > nation > nation) in order to arrive at nation > nation > nation/individual> nation > nation.

As you say yourself above: man's salvation is this most monumental thing. Yet Paul is being reduced by you to sliding in an oblique reference or two to the mode of individual salvation in a chapter dealing with the comparative triviality of national displacement??

This is madness!

And I get where you're coming from with fatigue, and good and bad pulling us in different directions. From our perspective, that is how things appear. But when I read the Bible, I'm confronted with one who is in, above and over those subjective experiences, and who is perfectly in control throughout. As Paul said, who can resist his will?

My point was that our good at bad pull us in the same direction: towards tooth extraction. God is not out of control in allowing man to determine his destiny. It would only be out of control if God did not intend that this be so.

Hopefully you might appreciate the paucity of support for Paul dealing with individual salvation. God's will is to run salvation through spiritual, not physical lines. No one can resist his will in this regard. Who'd want to - isn't a salvation open to all far more beautiful than a salvation for a select few: whether the nation Israel or the Reformed elect?

Remember, chapter 9 (and he continues the NATION argument in chapter 10 and 11) is merely (if I might use that word) dealing with an objection made to the gospel of God laid out hithertoe. Paul constructs his argument for salvation by faith vs salvation by law from book opening to end chapter 11. His dealing with objections has to be seen in light of that - for a good argument has to overcome objections. It's all about displacement: faith displaces law and spiritual nation displaces physical nation. Chapter 9 has to be seen in the overall context of an argument spanning half the book.

But I'm also happy to agree to disagree on this, it's not as if reformed theology is the only valid option open to the Christian :)

With all due, if a theology can be constructed from such slim pickings, from such non-contextual, contra-argument-flow slivers, then there will be no shortage of theologies to chose from. Hence, perhaps, the atheist trope regarding the huge variability in "Christian-Truth".

As to whether such an approach to theology formation can be considered valid, I'm less sure.

Paul has made a mighty argument spanning half a book. It is carefully constructed so as to be airtight - he is at great pains to make it airtight. We are to suppose that in the midst of all this, he deals with the significant matter of individual salvation by means of vague, limited and oblique references slid sideways into the middle of the main argument he is making? That he is so stuck for time that he has to piggyback the monumental matter of individual salvation, in most slovenly fashion, onto the main thrust of an argument dealing with national displacement?

To suppose so is to ignore a finely assembled mechanism running carefully and gradually through half a book. It is to throw a spanner in the works. To suppose that someone, so clearly intent on assembling argument to watch-like precision, would be capable of doing such a thing is to confound all reason. Are we to suppose that a perfectionist: a legal and forensic genius (copyright Martyn Lloyd Jones) would throw an extra component in, just like that? Not because it fits the fine mechanism he has built, but because it lay spare on his workbench and, having forgotten to weave it in, he flings it in, last minute, just before closing up the back on the watch.

"I am assembling a fine argument about national displacment. It fits the context of the book majoring on displacement of law by faith. But you know what - I've just realised that I can double track a few verses here and incorporate a whole new topic, a monumental topic, right alongside my primary argument. How very efficient - oh the depths of the wisdom of God". As he says himself, when faced with a bonkers suggestion earlier in the book...

"By no means!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

I think the reason we're here has a lot to do with what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 6:2

"Don’t you know that someday we believers will judge the world? And since you are going to judge the world, can’t you decide even these little things among yourselves?"

This is the where its all headed and I think everything we do and experience in life is "Training" for that job. God tested the Israelites in the wilderness to see if they would trust in him and follow his ways. But they continually turned their backs on him. Only two(Joshua and Caleb)out all the original Tribes, where fit to enter the promised land. We are the Israelites, and God is testing us even as we speak God is testing us and training us so that one day we will be fit for the position of Judging the whole Earth. I mean you cant give that job to someone whos wishy washy and flakey, someone whos dishonest or easily swayed by public opinion. It needs to be a person of strong character, who puts God ahead of everything else in life(including his own family). These are not common people. So everything that happens to us, as believers is conditioning us for that Purpose.

santana75 wrote: »
    I think the reason we're here has a lot to do with what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 6:2

"Don’t you know that someday we believers will judge the world? And since you are going to judge the world, can’t you decide even these little things among yourselves?"

This is the where its all headed and I think everything we do and experience in life is "Training" for that job. God tested the Israelites in the wilderness to see if they would trust in him and follow his ways. But they continually turned their backs on him. Only two(Joshua and Caleb)out all the original Tribes, where fit to enter the promised land. We are the Israelites, and God is testing us even as we speak God is testing us and training us so that one day we will be fit for the position of Judging the whole Earth. I mean you cant give that job to someone whos wishy washy and flakey, someone whos dishonest or easily swayed by public opinion. It needs to be a person of strong character, who puts God ahead of everything else in life(including his own family). These are not common people. So everything that happens to us, as believers is conditioning us for that Purpose.

Trouble with our judging being a primary aim is that eternity is a long time and judging the world a fairly brief affair

:)

• Advertisement

If God in his sovereignty decided to create a man with own will and have a man decide his destiny (even if not by the route chose for/choose against), how would that affect his sovereignty? Can God, in his sovereignty not do just this?

His sovereignty isn't affected at all by laying man's destiny in man's hands. And God will surely gather you under his wings, as a hen her chicks, unless he wills it not. Man decides.

Scripture clearly teaches both God's sovereignty and human responsibility, as both being true at the same time.

I don't think it's possible to eliminate the tension between these two truths; we simply don't have the knowledge to do so as it hasn't been revealed to us. The question we need to ask is whether your framework does justice to what we do know, and as I said I'm not convinced it accounts for God's sovereignty in the way the Bible reveals it to us.
    Paul builds all his argument carefully...

I've honestly always found this a strange way to read Romans 9, to insist that it only and exclusively refers to the fate of ethnic Israel.

Paul has spent the whole letter contrasting salvation by faith and works (unpacking that purpose statement in 1:16-17). By the end of chapter 8 we understand that the gentiles can also be heirs of the promises made to Abraham. A fair question, which Paul answers in chapter 9, is "What about the promises made to Israel? Have they failed?" The contrast between the physical and spiritual descendants of Abraham is absolutely relevant to the individual; salvation by faith is necessarily an individual matter.

But in the end, I know many fine and faithful Christians who insist on your reading of Romans 9, and in all Christian charity it's fine for us to differ.
    As you say yourself above: man's salvation is this most monumental thing. Yet Paul is being reduced by you to sliding in an oblique reference or two to the mode of individual salvation in a chapter dealing with the comparative triviality of national displacement??

This is madness!

In short, no! Nothing is shoehorned in. The whole chapter is about physical vs spiritual Israel, salvation by works vs salvation by faith. That is the theme of the whole book, as Paul outlines in chapter 1.
    salvation open to all far more beautiful than a salvation for a select few: whether the nation Israel or the Reformed elect?

I think you've misunderstood reformed theology on this point. The reformed understanding of election and the atonement says nothing about how many people will be saved, still less that salvation is limited to those who hold to reformed theology. It also has no bearing on how or to whom we evangelise.

It simply states that God saves, and it doesn't ultimately depend on us. Our job is to hold out the good news of the gospel, in the certainty that anyone who responds with faith will be saved. Those who hear are responsible for how they respond, either with faith or disbelief, and God is also in control, from first to last. That seems to me to do most justice to what the Bible teaches.
    With all due, if a theology can be constructed from such slim pickings, from such non-contextual, contra-argument-flow slivers, then there will be no shortage of theologies to chose from. Hence, perhaps, the atheist trope regarding the huge variability in "Christian-Truth".

As to whether such an approach to theology formation can be considered valid, I'm less sure.

I'm not sure what you're saying here, whether you're being serious or whether this is a rhetorical flourish. Reformed theology doesn't rest on a few proof texts, and it certainly can't be dismissed with a wave of the hand.

I disagree with many of the conclusions of Roman Catholicism and Arminian Protestants on matters of faith, but it's a nonsense to pretend that there is no substance to either. We shouldn't seek to bind one another's consciences in this way, and it doesn't make for fruitful discussion.

Advertisement