Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God has put us here for a reason

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Election is God's sovereign choice. He chooses who will come to Him in faith.

Ok, thanks for clarifying the point that you were trying to make previously.

The concept that you describe above is not part of Catholic Church teaching

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

smacl wrote: »
    I think the problem arises where you take one more extreme expression of Christianity and assert that it is definitive of Christianity in general. Given the schisms in the history of Christianity and the large number of different churches that refer to themselves as Christian, I'm of then opinion that there isn't a single definitive meaning for "Christian" beyond that given in standard English dictionaries. I don't believe for example that the hellfire and brimstone, turn or burn style of Christianity is typical most Irish people's understanding of what it means to be Christian. Nor for that matter is Evangelicalism any way representative, with under 10 thousand Evangelical Christians recorded in this country in 2016 versus 3.7 million Catholics (and 486 thousand non-religious FWIW).

The declarations of those particular Christians who say gay people are going to hell, or that you're not a Christian if you don't meet their narrow definition of the word, really need to be taken with a pinch of salt as, in the context of this country, they really only speak for a very small minority at this point in time.

Don't want to keep raking over this, but do you really think it's extreme to say that a Christian is one who professes faith in Jesus Christ? Or does the problem come in when we try to attach any concrete content to that profession? I find your position on this fascinating and baffling in equal measure :)

I'd have thought the numbers argument is pretty irrelevant (other than the degree to which evangelical Christianity is likely to become a generally significant influence in Irish society). If numbers are what counts then you would have to conclude that atheism is false, as the majority of people alive today profess some sort of religious belief.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ChrisJ84 wrote: »
    Don't want to keep raking over this, but do you really think it's extreme to say that a Christian is one who professes faith in Jesus Christ? Or does the problem come in when we try to attach any concrete content to that profession? I find your position on this fascinating and baffling in equal measure :)

I don't think that this is an extreme definition, merely that it is one of many equally valid definitions of what Christian means in the English language. Interesting that if using your definition "one who professes faith in Jesus Christ" includes non-trinitarian Christians such as Mormons and excludes anyone before the age of reason or with an illness resulting is loss of mental faculties. Going with the forum definition excludes non-trinitarians but does not exclude anyone based on any given passage from the bible. Personally, I'll stick with dictionary definitions of the definitive meaning of the word Christian, same as for the definitive meaning of any other word. No sure why you'd find that unusual.
    I'd have thought the numbers argument is pretty irrelevant (other than the degree to which evangelical Christianity is likely to become a generally significant influence in Irish society). If numbers are what counts then you would have to conclude that atheism is false, as the majority of people alive today profess some sort of religious belief.

The numbers are important to illustrate that your understanding of what it means to be Christian, while valid in my opinion, is just one of many different such understandings. When you say that someone who professes to be Christian isn't in fact Christian all I see is pots and kettles and yet another repetition of the fractious nature of a religion locked in an endless and rather ugly internal power struggle.

I'd take it with a pinch of salt about the size of lotts wife tbh!

But I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to express them.

Nor I, but I make a distinction between someone declaring their own beliefs and someone making a definitive statement about another person's professed religion or what will happen to them in the future if they don't change their behaviour. Telling anyone who considers themselves a Christian that they're not actually a Christian because X, Y, or Z is pretty low. Doing so to push your own agenda is divisive.

I don't think that this is an extreme definition, merely that it is one of many equally valid definitions of what Christian means in the English language. Interesting that if using your definition "one who professes faith in Jesus Christ" includes non-trinitarian Christians such as Mormons and excludes anyone before the age of reason or with an illness resulting is loss of mental faculties.

This is why it's important to tie such profession to some minimum theological content, such as the apostles creed. Otherwise, professing belief in Jesus can quite literally mean anything we want it to mean. The Apostles Creed is as broad as possible (taking in Protestant, Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox traditions), and yet excludes those like Mormons whose ideas of who Jesus is cannot be reconciled with the bible - I think the forum charter is spot on with that.

Strictly speaking, I suppose very small children and the severely mentally disabled aren't Christians in that sense, but that doesn't mean they are thereby excluded from the kingdom. That can safely be left to God's goodness, love and mercy.
    Going with the forum definition excludes non-trinitarians but does not exclude anyone based on any given passage from the bible. Personally, I'll stick with dictionary definitions of the definitive meaning of the word Christian, same as for the definitive meaning of any other word. No sure why you'd find that unusual.

Definitive, but not authoritative? ;)
    The numbers are important to illustrate that your understanding of what it means to be Christian, while valid in my opinion, is just one of many different such understandings. When you say that someone who professes to be Christian isn't in fact Christian all I see is pots and kettles and yet another repetition of the fractious nature of a religion locked in an endless and rather ugly internal power struggle.

Your post modernism is showing! Everything isn't about an exercise of power, and I don't think that truth is ultimately relative. But I think we've talked about that several times already, and I feel like I understand your perspective. Hopefully you understand mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

If it is possible, can we keep this thread on topic instead of rehashing the debate about who is a Christian and by what criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I don't believe that a god(s) put us here at all.
    We evolved into what we are now - we haven't stopped evolving yet, so who knows what we'll end up like.

To those that need a god crutch to live your lives, I say fine. Whatever gets you through the night.

Maybe the reason we are here is that we are on a farm and the aliens will come back and harvest us when we reach the maximum population. As believable as any other theory, ie. Not very.

Personally I do not think that we are here for any profound reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

We evolved into what we are now - we haven't stopped evolving yet, so who knows what we'll end up like.

To those that need a god crutch to live your lives, I say fine. Whatever gets you through the night.

Maybe the reason we are here is that we are on a farm and the aliens will come back and harvest us when we reach the maximum population. As believable as any other theory, ie. Not very.

If we are here for a reason, then we are here as destroyers. Nothing more.

Paul says that God has made us His offspring. Does that encourage you? Why or why not?

I find this immensely encouraging - that the God of the universe would take an interest in the likes of us (and me specifically). That's why the doctrine of election that we've been discussing a bit on this thread is so encouraging - God is in control and has a fixed purpose, and that can't be deflected by anything we do or don't do.

It also leads me to reflect on that other question that came up again here (forgive me! :)). While it's enjoyable and sharpening to discuss these things, for the Christian it isn't a game or a passing interest. We are talking about matters of eternal significance, and without a God who is in control that would be overwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

It also leads me to reflect on that other question that came up again here (forgive me! :)). While it's enjoyable and sharpening to discuss these things, for the Christian it isn't a game or a passing interest. We are talking about matters of eternal significance, and without a God who is in control that would be overwhelming.

Agreed.

Our behaviour in this life determines our eternal fate after physical death. The stakes and the consequences could not be higher therefore. On reflection and deep meditation, the stakes and consequence can seem to be overwhelming in fact.

• Advertisement

Your post modernism is showing!

And yet I've never referred to myself as post modern. You seem very keen to pigeon hole others to suit your own world view. Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

We can continue to search for the meaning of life but I believe it will be fruitless.

Mankind is destined never to find out the true purpose of our existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

We can continue to search for the meaning of life but I believe it will be fruitless.

Mankind is destined never to find out the true purpose of our existence.

There is no purpose or meaning. Apart from to exist. Its random.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭victor8600

So what is the reason? I did not get it from the OP. To seek God? If I found one, what do I need to do, give her a lift home?
    I find this immensely encouraging - that the God of the universe would take an interest in the likes of us (and me specifically). ...

This is by Design (tm). As Karl Marx said: "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people".

For a religion to be popular, it should offer comforts not attainable otherwise. We will all die, so the religion should address this topic. It can either introduce an "eternal soul", or the re-incarnation.

We didn't know how the world was formed or how we came into being, so any popular religion addresses this as well.

Whenever we are not in control, we tend to believe in someone, be it a plane's pilot or some higher being.

I am not trying to discourage you from your irrational beliefs. The rituals help, asking God for help often works (just like the spelling out goals to someone else). Posting on Boards makes life appear more meaningful. If one quits God, one would need a replacement anyway, be it self-help books or, God forbid, a political party.
    .....without a God who is in control that would be overwhelming.

Only if you think about it. Most people do not spend time thinking about the meaning of life.

And yet I've never referred to myself as post modern. You seem very keen to pigeon hole others to suit your own world view. Why is that?

What you were saying seemed to have that flavour about it - truth being relative etc. (I think your word was subjective). If I've got you wrong, then I apologise unreservedly :)

I'm not interested in pigeon holing anyone, just trying to make sense of what you're saying and why we differ.

victor8600 wrote: »
    This is by Design (tm). As Karl Marx said: "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people".

For a religion to be popular, it should offer comforts not attainable otherwise. We will all die, so the religion should address this topic. It can either introduce an "eternal soul", or the re-incarnation.

We didn't know how the world was formed or how we came into being, so any popular religion addresses this as well.

Whenever we are not in control, we tend to believe in someone, be it a plane's pilot or some higher being.

I am not trying to discourage you from your irrational beliefs. The rituals help, asking God for help often works (just like the spelling out goals to someone else). Posting on Boards makes life appear more meaningful. If one quits God, one would need a replacement anyway, be it self-help books or, God forbid, a political party.

Totally agree, everything you say could well be true - unless the claims Christianity makes are true. And that's what we (Christians) believe, I don't think we'd waste our time with it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

With people walking away in droves from all churches you would imagine that the Lord would already be pencilling in a visit. I've never understood why he/she would wish to make such a big mystery of the whole thing. Come on down the time is right!

The argument would be that whilst cultural/politics rendered a lot of Christians, the bulk wouldn't actually have been Christians.

And so a walk away, when the cultural/political mood permitted it, and when there was something more attractive to meet unbelieving needs (such as present day individualism), the 'flock' found another shepherd.

I sincerely doubt it. Whilst there have been wonderful Christians, I would suspect the vast bulk attaching to that word either

- weren't Christians as you and I understand it.

- were Christians but didn't make an impact such as to contribute to proverbiality

Something can become proverbial and carry on very longtime. The cart before the horse is used today, long after carts and horses.

I'd plump more for: Christs teaching being considered Best Practice + Christianity was dominant for years = proverb comes about.

Question for you. Do you think there has been a sufficient portion of the population who are Christians (as defined by yourself) such as to generate the weight required to create a proverb?

Yeah, you could be right in fairness. Probably a mix of Christian teaching being widely known, and such things being lived out in practice. Maybe more the former than the latter, unfortunately.

What you were saying seemed to have that flavour about it - truth being relative etc. (I think your word was subjective). If I've got you wrong, then I apologise unreservedly :)

I'm not interested in pigeon holing anyone, just trying to make sense of what you're saying and why we differ.

Fair enough. I'd tend to go with Karl Popper's stance with respect to falsifiability and knowledge, that is that we can't consider a thing to be knowledge unless it is potentially falsifiable. More simply perhaps, anything we now hold true can be either improved upon or even reversed as our understanding increases.

This isn't post-modernism, it is critical rationalism. Some good discussion distinguishing knowledge and belief here.

Fair enough. I'd tend to go with Karl Popper's stance with respect to falsifiability and knowledge, that is that we can't consider a thing to be knowledge unless it is potentially falsifiable. More simply perhaps, anything we now hold true can be either improved upon or even reversed as our understanding increases.

This isn't post-modernism, it it is critical rationalism. Some good discussion distinguishing knowledge and belief here.

Thanks smacl, that's really helpful. Maybe the truth is out there after all? ;)

It's interesting that Christianity is, at least in theory, falsifiable under those terms. I'm thinking specifically of the resurrection - an event that we claim happened in a particular place at a specific point in time. If that could be shown to be a falsehood, then Christianity collapses. We would, as Paul said, be of all people most to be pitied.

There's also the wider question of what should be considered valid corroborating evidence, and thus move Christianity along the scale from irrational unbelief to rational belief. That seems like an obvious point of disagreement, and brings us back to our foundational presuppositions.

Could be an interesting topic for a new thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

No she hasn't

Thanks smacl, that's really helpful. Maybe the truth is out there after all? ;)

Could be, though if you agree with Popper it isn't knowable.
    It's interesting that Christianity is, at least in theory, falsifiable under those terms. I'm thinking specifically of the resurrection - an event that we claim happened in a particular place at a specific point in time. If that could be shown to be a falsehood, then Christianity collapses. We would, as Paul said, be of all people most to be pitied.

There's also the wider question of what should be considered valid corroborating evidence, and thus move Christianity along the scale from irrational unbelief to rational belief. That seems like an obvious point of disagreement, and brings us back to our foundational presuppositions.

Could be an interesting topic for a new thread!

Agreed. If you allow that Christianity may be falsifiable, you also open up the possibility of it being a rational belief. In doing so however, you have to discard your notions of knowing any absolute truths.

From a logical abstract perspective this seems reasonable, as to know a non-falsifiable truth would demand omniscience, and people aren't omniscient.

Agreed. If you allow that Christianity may be falsifiable, you also open up the possibility of it being a rational belief.

I hold Christianity falsifiable - I've long accepted I could be a brain in a jar, for instance.

Although how to falsify the realisation that it's actually an alien species prodding electrodes into me, and not God afterall, I do not know. Its falsification all the way down.

Seems falsifiability=>knowledge is an irrational position.

Interesting. I don't think I believe in God primarily because I need a crutch. I do need His mercy and rescue like all people do Biblically speaking.

I believe in God because I genuinely think the Christian worldview provides a more rational basis for seeing the world as it really is.

Atheism leads to more confusion rather than more clarity in my book. On this question and many others.

Atheism leads to more confusion rather than more clarity in my book. On this question and many others.

I agree with this by and large, in that a religious perspective dictated by a very narrow canon of knowledge is considerably simpler to comprehend than the vast complexity of an infinite universe. However, just because the stories in the bible are simpler than alternatives offered by millennia of scientific observation, philosophical reasoning, critical discourse and resulting revision doesn't make them rational.

I agree with this by and large, in that a religious perspective dictated by a very narrow canon of knowledge is considerably simpler to comprehend than the vast complexity of an infinite universe. However, just because the stories in the bible are simpler than alternatives offered by millennia of scientific observation, philosophical reasoning, critical discourse and resulting revision doesn't make them rational.

How would you establish the breadth of the bible? Would we have to add your view of what it says (and the belief system lying behind) to the already broad range of takes?

The universe isn't infinite btw.

Interesting that you chose to cut off the bit of my post where I say atheism is irrational.

Atheism isn't "complex". A rejection of the order that gives us an ordered universe leads to a disordered worldview. It doesn't end with confusion about origins, it leads to confusion about the nature of truth and morality also.

Interesting that you chose to cut off the bit of my post where I say atheism is irrational.

Atheism isn't "complex". A rejection of the order that gives us an ordered universe leads to a disordered worldview. It doesn't end with confusion about origins, it leads to confusion about the nature of truth and morality also.

I didn't make any comment on atheism though, you did. As you say, atheism is very simple. Saying someone is an atheist provides you with no positive information about their world view, their notions on morality, nor what informs them. Atheism makes no statements about the nature of the universe, it merely tells us that an individual doesn't believe in a god or gods.

I didn't make any comment on atheism though, you did. As you say, atheism is very simple. Saying someone is an atheist provides you with no positive information about their world view, their notions on morality, nor what informs them. Atheism makes no statements about the nature of the universe, it merely tells us that an individual doesn't believe in a god or gods.

Correct. This view affects the other areas that I mentioned also. As soon as you deny God's existence, you remove the only objective basis for morality and the only objective basis for truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,060 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Correct. This view affects the other areas that I mentioned also. As soon as you deny God's existence, you remove the only objective basis for morality and the only objective basis for truth.
    Not at all. Just as you can assert that God exists in and of himself and is not dependent on anyone or anything, so you can assert that Good exists in and of itself, etc, or that Truth does.

Bear in mind the Greeks, who thought a lot about ethics, truth and other matters. True, they were not an atheist society. but it's equally true that they didn't base their notions of Good and Truth and so forth on anything the gods said, or did, or commanded, or were. Their gods included many who were notably capricious, malicious, duplicitous, etc, and their behaviour could be criticised on that basis. Which means that the Greeks held Good, Truth, etc to be objective standards against which the sayings and doings of even the gods could be measured.

Advertisement