Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Bus Service Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

No worries, it wasn't a conspiracy theory (far be from it for me to make up those!), just a curiosity thanks to the wording. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

TFI Journey Planner and BusTimes have the 783 routing and timing up, starting on the 20th or 21st of March.

Terenure, Rathgar, Rathmines, Ranelagh, Harcourt Street, Kevin Street, Christchurch, then up along the quays and through the Port Tunnel. Journey timetabled as an hour.

https://www.journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/timetables?serviceId=026%20783&direction=INBOUND

https://bustimes.org/services/783-dublin-airport-terenure

• Registered Users Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Not a bad route in terms of generating customer numbers, but I can never understand schedules being drawn up that don’t change the running tImes during the day to reflect the expected traffic conditions.

Having buses taking the same journey time at 04:07 and 08:07 is daft.

The first 16 passes Terenure at 05:44 and is scheduled to arrive at the Airport at 06:44. That’s 7 mins faster than the 783!

The 16 journey times do extend outwards as the rush hour progresses and for most of the day the 783 will have a significant time advantage until later in the evening.

Good to see extended operating hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Interestinly bustimes has it listed with BK & Sons for the operator, rather than Dublin Express. I know they're contracted to run Dublin Express services, but the 3 other DE routes still show Dublin Express as the operator.

Seems like a tight turnaround at Terenure, given it has to do this loop to get from the last outbound stop to the first inbound stop. According to Google maps thats a 9 minute drive but the timetable only gives 7 minutes between services (8 minutes if you take Fortfield Road, but can that accomodate coaches?)

• Advertisement

Fortfield Road can easily accommodate coaches.

Was seeing if Google Maps showed the 783 yet for those dates (it doesn't), but I did notice Dublin Express services include the link for tickets when planning a trip. Assume it's pulling this from the National Express system given it shows it in pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

8 euro compared to 2 euro for the 16? Not so sure about the new route! I think the new route is very "roundabout" from the south side to the north side for a journey which might save you somewhere between 0 to 20 minutes depending on traffic. For a premium bus route, would expect it to be a bit more Direct!

It takes 20-45 minutes to get a taxi in most traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

One little “trick” I tell people heading to the airport is to “step back” onto other routes on the Swords road to skip out the Beaumont loop, which at peak times can add 10/12 minutes going around there.

Hop on a 41C to Omni and then step back to a 16 which you may have overtaken. Just a quick check on the app.

Often a 16 pulls out of the airport and two minutes behind is 33, 41B/C. Hop off and wait a minute and take them straight into town.

If you’re travelling light, it’s a good move. I’ve even managed to catch the 16 12 minutes ahead by OCS!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Aircoach 706X Cancellation statement

After long and careful commercial consideration, Aircoach intends to exit the Dublin/Galway route corridor.

As a result, our 706/706X route will cease to operate from 00.01 on April 8th 2024. The termination of the 706/706X route will include the terminus point at Galway Coach Station and all intermediary stops between Galway and Dublin Airport.

Aircoach remains deeply committed to providing All-Ireland passenger transport connections and delivering services to and from the West of Ireland remains part of that commitment. We are currently evaluating route options and commercial opportunities.

Meanwhile, we wish to sincerely thank our many loyal customers who travelled with Aircoach on the 706/706X route to and from Galway and its intermediary stops. We also thank our employees who enable the service every single day and all stakeholders involved.

Customers who have already made bookings to travel on April 8th and thereafter, will be individually contacted by Customer services to cancel and get a refund. Alternative travel options provided by competitors are available along this route such as Citylink and GoBus www.citylink.ie.

We apologise for the inconvenience this may cause and we once gain express our gratitude for choosing Aircoach for your coach travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This will hopefully result in an increase in the frequency of other services. Thinking especially of the Greystones (702) service. Which still only runs eight times per day, the first service departs Greystones at 4:10 a.m. and every two hours thereafter with the last departure from the airport at 20:05.

As expected, there's virtually nothing about the withdrawal of the Galway service on the Aircoach website. Click on Help/Latest Updates and you'll see only one announcement since Dec 6th last which is about diversions caused by the St. Patrick's Day parade.

The only indicator on the Galway (706/706X) timetable page is the small text 'valid until 07/04/2024' above the timetable grid - no banner headline at the top of the page announcing the withdrawal of the service. Which is the least you'd expect.

They have denied this on social media, but at the same time as stated previously the current timetable has an end date of 22nd April on the TFI feed so there might well be something happening from around that date.

In relation to no news about the service being withdrawn, I'm not sure what you're expecting. They pulled a full day of service of the route without putting any public notice up last week to hold the meeting to inform staff. The fact that walk-up's were left oblivious by the roadside because there was no public notice didn't seem to bother Aircoach one iota.

The new MD has been in post for six months now and I'm sorry to say the only change that I've seen so far is a company that lacks even more transparency than it did before in terms of services that are not running. It is a shame to see what has happened to Aircoach over the last few years.

Which 'currrent timetable' are you referring to? The 700 (Leopardstown), Greystones (702) and Killiney (703) timetables on the Aircoach wesbsite say they're valid until 23/12/2024.

The TFI feed that is used on bustimes.org and other sites states that the Greystones timetable is in effect until 22nd April. Could be an error when the date was uploaded to the TFI system, but could also indicate a timetable change that hasn't been coded into Aircoach.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Are there many passengers currently using the Aircoach to get to Dublin Airport from Greystones particularly on the stretch between Greystones and the Rock Road in Blackrock via the N11?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yup there would be.

Only way to guarantee getting on is to book in advance.

Only last week it left people behind in shankill on a few runs.

Now there are times where it's quiet but in general its a busy service.

Lots of demand locally in Bray anyway for earlier and later buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

Aircoach

there is a timetable to Change to the 705x from Sunday the 24th March

Went to check if it's loaded into TFI Live/Bus times yet, and is it just me or does the 705x not appear at all? I can see all other Aircoach routes bar that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

According to a post on Facebook on greystones forum Simon Harris is saying that Aircoach have applied to return the 702 to an hourly frequency which should be in place before "start of summer" but no mention of it reverting back to 24hr service.

The current 702 timetable (on TFI Live at least) is only loaded until the 22nd April, so that may also indicate changes are inbound.

However on the Aircoach website it says the current timetable is valid until the end of the year. We shall see in time, I suppose!

• Advertisement

Politicians have been saying the same about that route for last 18 months or so. So I will only believe it when I see a statement from Aircoach confirming it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭beachhead

Lack of experienced drivers generally.Who knows what Aircoach will do next.Galway stopping is a disappointment to say the least

Teaser notice on the Aircoach Facebook page today .....

Something big is coming on the 24th of March... keep an eye on our socials to stay in the loop

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭spuddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Deleted

Post edited by mikeybhoy on

Difficult to see a case for a PSO service when Shannon and Knock Ireland West are closer to Galway than Dublin airport.

Yes, I know there's a world of difference in terms of destinations served but I suspect that, with the Greens and especially Eamon Ryan in cabinet, that would be the official response.

Why?

Citylink already operate the 763 stopping service on a commercial basis between Dublin and Galway serving towns and villages all along the route, and they have the 721 service to Castlebar that runs non-stop to Athlone from Dublin.

There is already a PSO rail service linking Dublin, Athlone, Ballinasloe and Galway.

The only gap is a later evening stopping bus service between Galway and Loughrea that Citylink themselves have suggested could be a PSO market.

Not similar at all. There's already a CityLink stopping service between all the affected Towns unlike the Cork situation.

I'm seeing a lot of bad feeling towards Aircoach in the media and no socials and whilst it's difficult to find much right that the company have done of late, at the end of the day this is all about Citylink and their domination of that corridor and the lack of foresight by the CCPC in relation te what was always going to happen. It couldn't have worked out better for CityLink. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

They're adding an extra stop (Maghera) in Northern Ireland to the 705x and timetable change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Sorry some of the articles online mislead me. Apologies

Advertisement