Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Bus Service Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

There is the 33 aswell. The 41c and the 33 would only be full morning peak inbound I'd imagine.

Yes I agree a dedicated PSO Airport service is 100% needed but I can't see how Aircoach and DX would allow that to happen without taking legal action with regard to state backed competition. Unless the NTA wants to start subsidising them too. There's already been complaints from commercial operators that they are not part of the fare reductions.

Realistically this goes to show why the Metro is needed more than ever. BRT should really be back on the cards too as an interim solution until the Metro is built.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The reaction of DX/Aircoach is why I suggested a semi stopping service via the Swords Road and Drumcondra. It should be different enough from their services to avoid legal cases, while offering a better PSO service than the 16/A2.

A PSO service using the port tunnel while fantastic, would likely be too close to their service.

While I’m a “supporter” of commercial services, we certainly shouldn’t be allowing them dictate vital PSO services like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

If they want to hand the licence back let them. What’s the plan when Metrolink is up and running? Surely they’ll be toast.

One of the key planning issues for DA is the lack of public transport to the place. From what I can make out it is this poor public transport that makes so many of us drive friends and family there and back.

No new car parks will be built at the airport, so additional bus services are needed. Sure even Dublin Bus are looking to start up their own private route to go against the privates.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The problem child in all of this is daa who were trying to make more money out of having another operator (in this case Dublin Express) serve the airport.

The NTA (and the Department of Transport) should be dictating that there ought to be a basic 6 minute frequency on a cross-city PSO service directly along the Swords Road and there should be no charging of PSO operators for serving Dublin Airport. That in itself is an absolute nonsense given our climate commitments.

There has to be a comprehensive hub & spoke PSO bus network out of the Airport - I don't think BusConnects goes even close enough to delivering this. While the plans are welcome, I think that they grossly focussed on connections rather than providing direct services from across North Dublin.

Personally speaking, and having thought about it over the Christmas break, I would make the changes below:

1) Re-route the A4 to operate Dundrum-Dublin Airport and terminate there. This service would be integrated with the A2 to give a 6 minute frequency to/from the Airport.

2) Add an A5 from Palmerston Park to Swords taking over from the A4 north of ALSAA (and consequently re-routing the 80 via Rathgar Road rather than via Highfield Road & Upper Rathmines Road) and convert the 22 to become the A6, also to/from Palmerston Park.

3) Increase the 19 to every 20 minutes and extend to Merrion Square

4) Extend the L89 to the Airport and increase frequency to every 20 mins between Swords Manor and Dublin Airport

5) Re-route the L82 via the Airport rather than via Stockhole Lane - it can still serve the hotels at the Stockhole Lane/R139 junction

6) Extend the D4 to Dublin Airport

There has to be a significant effort to provide a major expansion of PSO bus services to/from the Airport that facilitate travel using the daily and weekly caps. The Airport should not be at the whim of commercial operators.

Some good news to report. Looking at the planning application recently made by daa to ABP, there is finally the realisation that proper facilities for buses and passengers alike are required at the Airport. There is the welcome addition of a proper bus station, with 29 nose to kerb parking bays, along with covered waiting facilities (including retail units and seating). It is a long time overdue, but at long last they are thinking in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

All brilliant points. What can we do about this? I’m set to suffer from these changes and I’m also a regular Airport user by bus.

The D4 being extended to the airport would bring in huge swathes of the Northside and namely the Malahide Rd in direct connection with the airport. It also solves the loss of a direct bus from the corner of the runway to Coolock Lane towards Beaumont, Artane, Malahide Rd. and Fairview with the chopping of the 27b back to the proposed D4 terminus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Beware - Aircoach

Over the past few days a few colleagues have been attempting to take Aircoach services and in the mornings and other off-peak times they are running up to ten minutes earlier then they are supposed to and they are not waiting time at stops therefore people are missing the coaches.

Aircoach state that their timetables state passengers should be at the stops up to 10 minutes before departure so apparently it's the passengers fault, but with the unreliability of their services in general and the tracker that has been took down for months, you should think twice about whether you want to take the risk with their services, because they will have little sympathy with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I'd say that's mainly because of light traffic over the last week.

Alot of Dublin bus services running ahead of schedule over the last few days as well, light loadings, no schools and less traffic.

Monday morning should see a bit more normality return

Although I have alot of sympathy for anyone who might miss an Aircoach due to the likes of light traffic which nobody can control, it says be there 10 mins before so be there at least 10 mins before. Generally if I'm getting the 702 I'm at the stop 15-20 mins ahead

Yes, but should we be expecting your average passengers to know to use and even that a third party website exists when the operator themselves should and used to offer such service?

That’s a different point.

I’m simply making the observation that it IS possible to track them because your post here suggested it wasn’t.

People may see my post and use it.

• Advertisement

Keep your eyes peeled for changes taking place from March onwards in terms of bus offerings from Dublin Airport.

More to be revealed soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭ULEZ23

That’s a very attention seeking post. Zero value add. I’m sure you feel very very important after it

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

Sometimes it's impossible to say everything at once because of the need to protect a source and not make it obvious who the source may be.

The alternative is i simply don't post any informed information at all until it is publicly announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

I'm hearing a reincarnation of the 747 from my garage sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭ULEZ23

If it’s the relaunch of a bus route then it appears it’s widely known within Dublin bus, hardly the secret to fatima, no idea how you think your “source” could be exposed from one the very few posters on hear reading it :)

Considering I've been posting about the Dublin Bus service returning for over a month now, it would indeed be weird if I was saying I couldn't talk about such services happening to protect sources when I'd already mentioned such things ages ago and as you say, it's hardly a secret within Dublin Bus anymore so there is nobody to protect.

Article here about the new buses being used on the car park shuttle service https://www.volvobuses.com/gb/news/2024/jan/volvo-buses-lands-new-fleet-deal-with-aircoach.html

Is it me or does the new MD almost sound apologetic about the fact Volvo got the deal?

I'm also not so sure that they are the upgrade that she thinks they are, bearing in mind they have replaced much longer vehicles. Yes, of course it's rent a quote for Volvo to publish a news story, but there's no denying that until the new electrics arrive, this is very much a step down in quality where they have replaced articulated vehicles.

On the other hand I see that Aircoach have appointed a new commercial director in Marc Atkins-Turley, who is ex Stagecoach. They badly needed an experienced Commercial Director to turn the tank around so to speak, so lets hope he makes a difference, but he really does have a mountain to climb to turn things around and is another appointment from the UK rather than a local one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Your sources are,doubtlessly,impeccable as always.I would however, revisit the term "reincarnation",as initially the Airlink services were Temporarily Suspended due to pandemical thinking.Later....much later...after a suitably long enough interval to allow National Dublin Express to develop and prosper,the term "Temporary" was replaced by "Permanent". Now it is a valid question to ask what exactly is a Permanent Suspension ? 🤓

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

That's a very amusing way of saying they have taken as much cash as they could from bus operators in return for providing some uncovered bits of tarmac.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

True, though it does sounds like they are requiring a big increase in service from the operators.

Interestingly no mention of Dublin Bus, outside the usual PSO services, just the usual commercial operators.

Post edited by bk on

More info will be rolled out over coming weeks.

A lot of stuff is being held back for commercial confidentially reasons as operators don't want their competitors to get wind of exactly what their plans are too far in advance and be able to counter them, especially considering some of the sums that said operators are paying to DAA.

Post edited by devnull on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Potentially one of the new services being added...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Consonata

I can confirm from an excellent source that Dublin Express are set to launch a new route shortly. 783 from Dublin Airport to Terneure as the first announced part of the Dublin Airport transport plan detailed upthread.

Post edited by devnull on

Didn't Aircoach have a similar route that went to Ballinteer years ago. Didn't last long if I recall correctly be interesting to see how this does.

Well the list of commercial licences on the NTA website tells us that.

• Advertisement

Wasn't aware it had been updated! But just had a look and indeed it is there. Will have a look later to see if there isanything else that looks new.

Advertisement