Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport alert as lethal coronavirus on our doorstep

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭bren2001

I doubt there are stats.

Millions of people in Asia wearing them as a precaution, can they all be misled or wrong?

I'm guessing a paper face mask would provide some protection. Maybe goggles too?

They are indeed all wrong but they are not being misled, they're told it's effectively useless. The N95 mask prevents inhaling particles as small as 0.3 microns in size. The corona-virus is 0.12 microns in diameter i.e. the holes in the mask are a little over twice the size of the virus itself.

The main reason people in China wear masks is air pollution. The have an air pollution forecast in the same way we have a weather forecast. Obviously, a second reason they wear it is to stop the spread of viruses but it is ineffective against the corona-virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭circadian

Apparently surgical masks are much more effective than the N95 masks that people are using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

VinLieger wrote: »
    Add a set of goggles to your list as its just as possible to be infected via your eys as it is your mouth, just wearing a face mask really doesn't reduce infection chance at all.

Might as well go full wack

4006e5443446eaa7173635edbd1f566c255.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

circadian wrote: »
    Apparently surgical masks are much more effective than the N95 masks that people are using.

I thought that *usually* the people wearing masks are the one's that are under the weather and are trying to stop spreading whatever they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I heard an epidemiologist on channel 4 news saying he’s never been more concerned about a virus. He said China will do a good job in containing it there because they use authoritarian means to control their population, but he’s not so confident about other countries being successful in containing it once it spreads beyond China.

Oh, and those masks are of no use whatsoever. The only way to avoid it is to stay home, close schools etc. obviously that only becomes necessary when it starts to spread in a population. Best to stock up the freezer just in case :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

How many of the 1.386 billion people in china are infected or have been killed?

I thought that *usually* the people wearing masks are the one's that are under the weather and are trying to stop spreading whatever they have.

Generally yes it's more a case of someone not wanting to spread their cold or whatever. It's not a bad idea but thinking it'll stop you from getting this virus or others is misguided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

How many of the 1.386 billion people in china are infected or have been killed?
    2% (maybe slightly higher) fatality rate (still too early so be certain on this).
    With a daily increase of 150% or 1.5 figure (official figures from state gov, so add some salt). So lets do the maths to calculate.

3000 (end of yesterday)
    4500 expected at end of today
    76886 for this time next Monday...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

2% (maybe slightly higher) fatality rate (still too early so be certain on this).
    With a daily increase of 150% or 1.5 figure (official figures from state gov, so add some salt). So lets do the maths to calculate.

3000 (end of yesterday)
    4500 expected at end of today
    76886 for this time next Monday...

The current theoretical infectious figure is actually 2.5

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

I read somewhere that the cotton masks are pretty useless. The surgical masks are a little better but supposedly their main benefit is to reduce the amount of contact your hands have with your face.

We touch our faces on average just over 3 times per hour. The mask reduces the amount of germs being spread between our face and objects/others around us because our hands aren't directly touching our noses/mouth as often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Remember when Ebola was going to kill us all? Or SARS? Or Swine Flu? Mass hysteria as usual and the media are loving it. Wait until this illness becomes boring and you won't hear anything more about it. Live your life, relax and don't believe the sensationalist nonsense out there..

SARS could easily have killed 10s of millions if it hadn't been contained. Ebola could kill billions. If you get ebola it's a coin toss if you will survive, and any bodily contact with someone with ebola (or bodily contact with any liquid from a person with ebola) can pass it on.

The fact that these things were contained is testament to incredible work performed by the World Health Organization.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Question; Am I correct in saying that the effects of Coronavirus would be the same as a bad dose of the flu? In other words it won't kill you unless you're elderly, infirm or bedridden with another illness.. healthy people survive alright?

Just asking...

Question; Am I correct in saying that the effects of Corona virus would be the same as a bad dose of the flu? In other words it won't kill you unless you're elderly, infirm or bedridden work another illness.. healthy people survive alright?

Just asking...

I've read that the onset isn't what you'd expect from a cold or flu, more of a dry cough and high temperature and sometimes little to no symptoms at until until a fever sets in.

Question; Am I correct in saying that the effects of Coronavirus would be the same as a bad dose of the flu? In other words it won't kill you unless you're elderly, infirm or bedridden with another illness.. healthy people survive alright?

Just asking...

We really don't know yet which is why some people are justifiably worried as its infectiousness along with a 14 day undetectable incubation when it could also be infectious (this is currently being questioned) could be catastrophic if its mortality rate is anything close to SARS at 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Just asking...

flu is quite an unpleasant virus and kills about 0.45% of people it infects. Coronavirus seems to have a lethality rate of 2%, making it (at face value) about 4 times as deadly.

flu is quite an unpleasant virus and kills about 0.45% of people it infects. Coronavirus seems to have a lethality rate of 2%, making it (at face value) about 4 times as deadly.

Other figures suggest seasonal flu only kills 0.1% (one per thousand).
    Some figures for this type of coronavirus range from 2-3%.
    About x20 more deadly, esp considering there is no vax for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It doesn't sound great!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

SARS could easily have killed 10s of millions if it hadn't been contained. Ebola could kill billions. If you get ebola it's a coin toss if you will survive, and any bodily contact with someone with ebola (or bodily contact with any liquid from a person with ebola) can pass it on.

The fact that these things were contained is testament to incredible work performed by the World Health Organization.

The WHO didn't help Taiwan when it was fighting the SARS epidemic and still doesn't allow Taiwan even observe the meetings. The WHO is not so great....

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

56 million Chinese now quarantined/banned from travel and international eyes now looking at the 3 military bio-labs in Wuhan

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

maninasia wrote: »
    The WHO didn't help Taiwan when it was fighting the SARS epidemic and still doesn't allow Taiwan even observe the meetings. The WHO is not so great....

Well thats because China put pressure on the WHO to always exclude taiwan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Experts reckon about 3 times more people are infected with the coronavirus than official figures sughest. Thus significantly lowering the fatality percentage.

Experts reckon about 3 times more people are infected with the coronavirus than official figures sughest. Thus significantly lowering the fatality percentage.
    Many clinicians in China have also signed off the 'cause of death' not as coronavirus, but as common/seasonal flu, therefore simply 'organ failure' or 'bacterial pneumonia' (which is the end result of the virus for some).

Thus significantly increasing the actual fatality percentage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Virus harms the human lungs and be bad for the youthful children still developing and the very elderly. Plus, your body has to readjust to this new virus and fight back with antibodies that can get rid of the pathogen. I still alarmed to see Chinese people walking around with no gloves, when the virus could be on shop packaging and outdoor and indoor surfaces. if someone with the pathogen sneezed and coughed, the pathogen easily be left behind for someone else to touch with their hands. Virus it not going to just jump up and attack you. It likely got transferred by touch.

Virus harms the human lungs and be bad for the youthful children still developing and the very elderly. Plus, your body has to readjust to this new virus and fight back with antibodies that can get rid of the pathogen. I still alarmed to see Chinese people walking around with no gloves, when the virus could be on shop packaging and outdoor and indoor surfaces. if someone with the pathogen sneezed and coughed, the pathogen easily be left behind for someone else to touch with their hands. Virus it not going to just jump up and attack you. It likely got transferred by touch.
    With new strong variants of regular seasonal flu, the often say the young healthy are at risk (due to no previous immunity). However this is novel, so unlikely anyone has immunity.

As far as surfaces, read somewhere a (5sec) blast of a basic 'UVC' torch/lamp/headlight will kill the dna of all viruses, germs or bacteria*.
    * Might require a virologist to confirm the usefulness of UVC light.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

As far as surfaces, read somewhere a (5sec) blast of a basic 'UVC' torch/lamp/headlight will kill the dna of all viruses, germs or bacteria*.
    * Might require a virologist to confirm the usefulness of UVC light.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Microphobe-Ultraviolet-Sanitizer-Sanitizing-Portable/dp/B007DK8FKW

Amazon's biggest seller in China

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

For people interested in this virus and how it was handled at its outset, have a look at this excellent article. The article highlights the stellar work that was undertaken in the early days of the virus to identify it and provide the tools to diagnose it and then looks at the timeline of events up to quarantine of Wuhan

https://mobile.twitter.com/cnmediaproject/status/1222082113844936704

DOZENS of scared passengers refused to board a plane in Japan after realising 16 fellow travellers were from Wuhan, the epicentre of the deadly coronavirus.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1234620/coronavirus-latest-news-death-toll-china-news-flight-japan-shanghai-passengers-scared

State Department Charters Plane To Bring U.S. Diplomats And Citizens Out Of China.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-united-arlns/united-airlines-suspends-some-u-s-flights-to-china-as-demand-drops-idUSKBN1ZR2EG

United Airlines Suspends Some US flights to China as demand drops.

Australian government urged to ban school children returning from China from going to school.

There are around 600 Chinese Australian school children in Wuhan alone, thousands in China. There to be brain washed.....you are really Chinese NOT Austrralian and you will return to Australia to open many Chinese restraunts...me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I am sitting here in rural India(and wont be leaving until the end of Feb). Wife works in healthcare also. Having experienced the hygene, public health, overcrowding and infrastructure here, I have no doubt that it will be spread fast when it gets here (perhaps it has already, I would question the ability to diagnose every case here). It is normal where I am to have atms with no cash for days and strong security in a supermarket(that is a long drive and has limited enough food) just to acquire water, potatoes, rice and other essentials. I can only imagine an outbreak here and how hard it would be for me to even get to an airport(or access to safe water maybe?!?)(basically paying large amounts of money to taxi drivers who may or may not be trustworthy). If we were to fly out it would be through dubai or some other gulf hub that will definitely have experienced cases by then. Is this it now, am I living in rural India for a year? I suppose it could be worse. I'm beginning to accept that this is just a new virus that we will all eventually get like influenza.

• Advertisement

BA to susped ALL flights to china. (Refunds will be made available).
    Many airlines to suspend services also. CDC says to avoid all non-essential travel to China.

Many states are putting direct evacuation flights from key areas into 14-day quarantine.
    Aussies are sticking it's own people from flights on Christmass Is, for 14days.
    US using bases in Alaska (likely extending that original plan of 72hrs),
    and Britons are also to be kept for 14days at a mil-base.

UAE confirms 4 cases. Surprised oil isn't lower than current price of $59

Advertisement