Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

griffinlee wrote: »
    As someone who doesn't have any connection or affinity to any party.

I like Mary lou but lacks depth in her policies the most
    Whilst I'm not his greatest fan, Lv seems the most detailed in this debate
    Micheal Martin looks lost at sea

Just my opinion as an independent observer
    MLM is around a good few years now. Has she ever said or done anything memorable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

That's a sore one from Mary Lou there with the pensions jibe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

Jog on Mary Lou
    How the **** are sinn fein topping polls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I'd say fatigue is settling in at this stage. Four weeks trying not to make a verbal blunder is stressful. Hopefully we will get a four to five year government because we can't face this ****e in a year or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Slightly off topic but why is unemployment benefit never reduced in times of near full employment?

Nobody who is in receipt if unemployment benefit should struggle to find a job when that is the economic situation. Those who can't work should be disability instead.

Because the dole is good for the economy. Most recipients will pump the money back in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

This may be the point where the SF bubble starts to deflate slightly - easily Mary Lou's weakest debate to date. By contrast, Martin's strongest performance, and Varadkar doing little here to address the slide.

Mary Lou appearing tonight always carried a risk for SF, she was better off not be there and let them snipe from afar and look like the better person.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ciara Kelly on newstalk went on a rant about it one day last week and she made so much sense.

When a GP visit costs 35 quid, when junior has the sniffles he is given a shot of Calpol and sent to bed. When GP visits are free, he's brought to the doctor. And when a working person has an appointment for 11am, he/she has to wait til 1pm to be seen because the waiting room is full of sniffling kids.

I doubt it. Whenever I've had to bring my kid to GP, the waiting room had been farely clear. Chances are, you're looking at the issue of a GP that's oversubscribed. Which is the issue by MM and Leo are cautious of, with giving free range on health care.

'People are living longer'

Finally a problem Mary Lou has an answer for. Time to make some phone calls and get the band back together.

Is it a sin to laugh at that?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

Miriam ya beauty, where did the Dara Murphy bomb come from!?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Dara Murphy...... This'll be good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Ooh nice question

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Oh dara Murphy.

Ffs, how many times do they have to be told to not talk over each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sinn fein website has "learn more" beneath all their policy bullet points on their website except for ..................... "cost of delivering our proposals"

lol

you couldnt make it up -amateur hour

• Registered Users Posts: 81,671 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

"Let down"...translates to fraud in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah don't worry about Dara. He's not running in the election. I'm very annoyed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

'People are living longer'

Finally a problem Mary Lou has an answer for. Time to make some phone calls and get the band back together.

Thanks my tea everywhere. Comment of the decade.so far

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There will always be those that can’t work for lots of reasons health, etc but that would be aa small minority of the population - everyone else get off your hole and contribute. No free anything. You want to see aa dr and have a medical card, pay 10 euro. You want a prescription, pay 2 euro per prescription. Nothing for free.
    same with free travel - ridiculous. heavily subsidised certainly but free? utter stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Mlm done poorly on pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

MLMD got her backside handed to her on pensions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

gyppo wrote: »
    I really dont think it would work. You thin a helicopter pilot/crew will land in unknown terrain in a rural area at nighttime without clear visibility of any obstacles?

I see the medivac helicopter working from Athlone every day, and its an absolutely superb service, but not at night....

You can plan out a landing site grid/network easily enough. Its all still better than hoping against hope that an small hospital with a smaller A&E can be bungled in to working.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Leo's hands stopped moving for these questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

RTÉ are paid by FG to give them an easy time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

I've no issue with increasing the pension age, but forcing people out before that age is ridiculous. The pension age and mandatory retirement should move together, if there has to be a mandatory retirement age at all. Also, nobody seems to have mentioned doing anything about helping people get jobs in later years e.g. by fighting ageism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Wow. Miriam dropping bombs all over Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

'The society that puts equality before individual freedom will end up with neither. The society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a greater measure of both'

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Martin managed to mention his childhood WITHOUT mentioning his Da being a bus driver. I'm in shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Here;s the individual party problems

LV you were the boss, poor answer and explanation over Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KM792

MM always a competent spokesman I've found...gift of the gab sort of thing.
    Mary Lou slacked tonight surprisingly...usually very confident in her delivery,could sell sand to the Arabs.
    I still can't look at Leo and take him seriously as a country leader,strangely awkward ..reminds me of a socially awkward nerd who shies away from company and reads a lot of books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,338 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ffs, how many times do they have to be told to not talk over each other?

At least Joan isn't there this time.

Advertisement