Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Catglee

Currently in North Kildare.

Looking to sell our own estate house and purchase our "forever home". Our own will sell and due to location sell well.

All houses are being advertised at 900k and above but are realistically making 950k. All houses which wouldn't be at that standard are circa 650k...there is absolutely zero stock between those 2 figs...for example it's impossible to ascertain what 850k will buy you in the local market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Nope put a deposit on the house in November and as of now still no contracts sent to us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Oh wow that's an awful long time to wait, the agent i was dealing with for my house was looking for my solicitors address immediately after handing over the booking deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

Oh wow €1M house must be huge n w big land?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Has anyone had the issue when you’re sale agreed on your current property- but the agents for a new build you want won’t take your booking deposit because they want you’re contracts for your own properly signed? So stressful! Is this the norm? Taking a risking selling your own before they’ll take your booking deposit:( you’d think sale agreed would be enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭tscul32

That's how we lost the house we wanted. We'd have happily gone sale agreed but the seller needed contracts signed asap so they wouldn't lose the new build they were after and went with a chain free buyer instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 EvoEvo

Thank you everyone for clarifying 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

10 weeks now waiting for contracts, getting very restless. Surely it's not usually this long?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Persistently_Curious

I am (finally) closing next week and I wondered can anyone tell me what happens on that day? I'm not really sure how to manage it? Do they just give me the keys, I pay the balance and off I go?! Are there questions I should be asking?! I am so excited I might explode....it has been a long long long road that I can't actually believe it's happening!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Everything will be paid and cleared before you get the keys so all of that will have to happen soon, just have everything ready to go, e.g. if you still have some of your deposit left to pay.

Edited to say - congratulations!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Your solicitor requests funds from the bank and once received they transfer them to the sellers solicitor. You will also have to pay for portion of LPT and management charge (if any) if buying second hand which is usually done near to closing time.

There are some final checks for solicitors to complete once funds have transferred but they shouldn’t take too long. Your solicitor will confirm once the sale has closed at which point you can arrange to get the keys from the estate agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Jafin

It can really vary a lot. 8-12 weeks from Sale Agreed to keys in hand is generally a "best case scenario." I went sale agreed on an apartment at the end of April last year and didn't have the keys until early/mid September, and neither myself nor the seller were in a chain. Issues can crop up at any time and then if any of the involved solicitors are taking annual leave or anything like that it can put a bit of a hold on things too. It'll happen, just try not to stress too much about it (easier said than done, I know). Of course it could also be that one of the solicitors involved is a tad slow. Feel free to keep onto your solicitor to ask about what's holding it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

We're currently looking to buy a new build in the next phase of a development due to release soon. Should we be looking at getting quotes from different solicitor now? The guides are all saying don't until you find somewhere but seen the odd bit of information saying to sort it before! No guarantee we get a property either so unsure if need to do it now

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LunaLoo

I'd definitely start getting quotes anyway, no harm at all. When you get a property then you formally instruct them to start acting on your behalf. It might also help strengthen your position if you have a solicitor ready to act for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Finally joining this thread! Went sale agreed last week on our house in Belfast. The buyer, over the easter weekend, contacted the PSNI about the area (who does that?) and has now pulled out of the sale. We are beyond fuming. Granted, we live in Poleglass which isn't a great area but our estate is actually the nicest place in the entire ward. It's full of families and elderly people. Never a tap of trouble in here. I think the buyers are gonna be hard pressed to find a house in Belfast city that isn't surrounded by difficult areas. Even the fancy areas around Malone would be close to where there are parades.

So the estate agent is off to the underbidders to see if they want to honour their bids now. It's so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LunaLoo

Our loan offer from the bank finally came through today 🙌. Still waiting on them to send the deeds to solicitor though 5weeks and counting now. Apparently there is a backlog but does anyone know of a way to speed things up? So frustrating that nothing can progress until they get sent over 😫 both the purchaser of our house and seller of our hopefully future house are eager to close ASAP and no other parties involved

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bawnBeag

Went sale agreed our house, buyers saying they want to move in earlier than we planned by about a week, which would put us under pressure. We still have a couple of months before we move but hopefully this is not an issue and they won't pull out. Is this something I should try to be flexible on or stick to my guns?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Your house. You decide when you move out. All manner of things can delay it anyway so there’s absolutely no guarantee either of you will get the day exactly right anyway this far out

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

It normally takes 4-6month to close everything if a mortgage is involved

takes 1-2month to close if cash buy.

if 2nd hand house, u will also need to book engineers to do checks.

and owner needs to provide tons of documents which could take them time to prepare also.

the worst thing is that solicitor doesn’t keep on top of things for you. You need to push them on a weekly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Yeah cheers I was onto our solicitor again yesterday but to be fair he's been great and the problems are all on the other side so don't want to be bothering him too much. It's planning permission for extensions that's holding it up, we were told yesterday that the compliance certificate is being updated whatever that means so hopefully a bit of movement next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Sounds like your current neighbours got lucky. Would hate to live by an insufferable snob.

Best of luck with the sale. Love Belfast by the way. Great city.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 EvoEvo

Hi Everyone

I'm currently on sales agreed from yesterday ( I still can't believe it) for a second-hand apt in Dublin.

My solicitor asked me to book the building survey.

My question is, can I already book the valuer survey ( my broker provided the contact details) and mortgage protection? or should I wait for the 

building survey report? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Is it mortgage protection and life insurance?

Or can you get mortgage protection but leave off the life insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

had a tenant approach me recently about buying my house , Im not Santa Claus so wont be giving it away but a discount to the market is not unreasonable as id have to spend probably 10 k between painting and other tidy up exercises to have it looking its best , add in estate agent fees and you are at 15 k , what kind of increases are we seeing since the beginning of 2021 , Im guessing 20% ?

Say house is worth 325 k with vacant possession after all improvements made , I'm guessing 300 k would be a decent quick sale price, not a case of being Mr nice guy, if two parties can see mutual benefit, it often incentivises easier cooperation

Good tenants, nice people but at least 12 % below market rent and believe me ,I've upped it to the max since I bought it but you can only work within parameters

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

We’ve been trying to buy for the past couple of months and have viewed numerous properties and from my experience you wouldn’t have to put a penny in to doing your house up

Most of the houses we viewed were barely cleaned and they still sold for upwards of €60k over the asking

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

this is different , attic bedroom conversion wasnt done properly like many builds at the time so needs to be registered before advertising as a four bed , to meet todays regs , you could spend 30 k minimum bringing an attic bedroom to spec

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

You could advertise it as a drafty shed, it will still go €50k+ over the asking.

I've seen dungeons go for €350k+

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Contracts went out with a closing date of 4 weeks. Annoyingly received to clarify if the bathroom on the ground was already in existence. The structure was already including the 1 story roof. The brickwork was replaced and the roof was made good so in effect was no new extensiion. However this was not on the deeds and we can’t prove it was done before 1972. Not a big issue as it falls within the planning certification so I have for this. It’s just annoying as it is clearly exempt . But anyway no real delay: I hope people are making progress whether that is buying or selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Our house went live online last Monday. It’s had eight viewings so far with three booked in for this coming week.

Two parties have made a bid already, another have said they will be making an offer.

I suppose we wait now and see where it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

FYI to anyone on this thread CCPC have a great series of step by step FAQ's for anyone buying or selling property

Advertisement