Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

More thinking about county councils and planners, land registry etc. And then finally actually moving - movers or van rentals will they be open/working

Just emailed a guy about doing a pre-purchase survey - doesnt seem to be a problem yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Thought I'd just ask here. I'm looking to buy at the moment. Lets say my budget is €500k... this is what I have it set on daft... should I set it higher to €550k and try throw in some cheeky bids?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Thought I'd just ask here. I'm looking to buy at the moment. Lets say my budget is €500k... this is what I have it set on daft... should I set it higher to €550k and try throw in some cheeky bids?

Yes. Have just done same.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Would like to get some thoughts on my situation folks...
    I'm a FTB and went sale agreed on a property on outskirts of Dublin just prior to the coronavirus hitting us. Had viewed dozens of properties but this one ticked all the boxes for me and i felt i had done a good deal at the time.
    Now this crisis has thrown me. No contract signed yet so still have time to pull the plug. If i do and stall for a few months could I secure a much better deal on another place down the line?
    But its a property that I loved and workwise my income is secure. And i plan on it being for the longterm, not just a property to flip in a couple of years.
    Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Definitely, nothing to lose. A bid within 10% of asking will be taken seriously in this market.

• Advertisement

minty81 wrote: »
    I'm a FTB and went sale agreed on a property on outskirts of Dublin just prior to the coronavirus hitting us. Had viewed dozens of properties but this one ticked all the boxes for me and i felt i had done a good deal at the time.
    Now this crisis has thrown me. No contract signed yet so still have time to pull the plug. If i do and stall for a few months could I secure a much better deal on another place down the line?
    But its a property that I loved and workwise my income is secure. And i plan on it being for the longterm, not just a property to flip in a couple of years.
    Thoughts?

IMO if you went sale agreed before Corona you should now be looking for about 10% of that price.

The EA is expecting a call from you saying you're pulling out or want to renegotiate a price.

You're also in an advantageous position of being a buyer in a secure employment. Some of your competitors might not be so fortunate and be dropping out of the market in the next few months putting you in a relatively better position.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,226 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thoughts?

Get at least a 10% reduction off the agreed price (though ask for 15% initially) or walk away. With your income secure you’ll get a better deal in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Shellzer123

Any Update on this and what Council are you with? Im the exact same. I contacted the Council last week to see if they would still take the applications in and they said they can be posted and we could have a telephone call but waiting to get that telephone call still.. Any help on this would be great.. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

Thoughts?
    It's probably worth at least asking. Even stalling the process is probably a signal to the seller.

The liklihood of success depends on how long before the Coronavirus measures you made the bid, and if you were the only bidder.

As long as you approach it in a reasonable manner (i.e. don't threaten, make ultimatums, or suggest extremely large discounts that would suggest you would pull out unless they give you most of what you want), I would think the question is entirely fair and nearly expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

We signed contracts and our vendors signed 3 weeks ago - just waiting for snag list to be complete this week and drawdown/complete to occur I guess. Bit nervous about it all now - we signed before any of these things occurred so we are locked in.

It’s nerve wracking to hear so many people guess the economic fallout - ourselves included. But the matter is we would be paying significantly less to a mortgage than rent and then there is the less than secure rental conditions atm. I’d just do what’s right for you/your family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

We signed contracts and our vendors signed 3 weeks ago - just waiting for snag list to be complete this week and drawdown/complete to occur I guess. Bit nervous about it all now - we signed before any of these things occurred so we are locked in.

It’s nerve wracking to hear so many people guess the economic fallout - ourselves included. But the matter is we would be paying significantly less to a mortgage than rent and then there is the less than secure rental conditions atm. I’d just do what’s right for you/your family

You've nothing to worry about, unless you were planning to sell the house you've purchased in the next couple of years.

If your career is stable and you're not planning to sell within five years then you have very little to worry about. Recessions do not automatically mean massive structural house price falls even though 2008 might have drilled that into us - they will float back to this ballpark eventually, even though there will be variance area to area.

It's all very nerve wracking right now, but in three months it'll seem a lot more manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Our buyer's buyer pulled out so we're going back on the market when all this blows over. No viewings or anything for the time being, but they're being lined up for when things get somewhat back to normal

tusk wrote: »
    Our buyer's buyer pulled out so we're going back on the market when all this blows over. No viewings or anything for the time being, but they're being lined up for when things get somewhat back to normal
    It will be interesting if you post your experiences here!

It's hard to predict what your experience will be - the number of buyers will definitely be thinned out and there might be certain expectations of drops for those that are left, but the amount of properties for sale will definitely be lower too, especially in the immediate aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Solicitor and sales coordinator emailed today. We received the completion notice, the help to buy has been claimed and the mortgage was drawn down today.

I'm doing the final inspection tomorrow, once the money has reached their account in the next 3-5 working days and the solicitor is happy it sounds like we could potentially get the keys by the end of next week, wasn't expecting anything for at least 2-3 weeks.

Exciting, but I hope we have enough time to arrange floors and furniture!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,175 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Solicitor and sales coordinator emailed today. We received the completion notice, the help to buy has been claimed and the mortgage was drawn down today.

I'm doing the final inspection tomorrow, once the money has reached their account in the next 3-5 working days and the solicitor is happy it sounds like we could potentially get the keys by the end of next week, wasn't expecting anything for at least 2-3 weeks.

Exciting, but I hope we have enough time to arrange floors and furniture!

I'd have to imagine that they made sure to expedite everything through in order to lessen the chance of the cash not being handed over.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Monumental

Seller here ,deposit paid by buyer Asking price reduced by 10,000 Survey being done tomorrow Fingers crossed !

Monumental wrote: »
    Seller here ,deposit paid by buyer Asking price reduced by 10,000 Survey being done tomorrow Fingers crossed !

Good luck...btw was the reduction agreed before or after Corona hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Monumental

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Good luck...btw was the reduction agreed before or after Corona hit?

After

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭teddy_irish

You should watch this carefully : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yZ5mjbB11I
    Best Documentary of the Housing Market Crash (of 2020?) | Inside the Meltdown | Behind the Big Short

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You should watch this carefully : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yZ5mjbB11I
    Best Documentary of the Housing Market Crash (of 2020?) | Inside the Meltdown | Behind the Big Short

I am particularly impressed that a video uploaded in 2017 purports to document something that hasn't happened in 2020. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Fair play, seems like a good move to get it over the line

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Fair play, seems like a good move to get it over the line

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

smart decition to act quickly on the price reduction, you won't regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

https://www-thejournal-ie.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.thejournal.ie/ireland-recession-pandemic-5058011-Mar2020/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&amp=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15852154172206&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thejournal.ie%2Fireland-recession-pandemic-5058011-Mar2020%2F

Yeh I'd say property prices are nice and stable. Nothing to see here.
    Why someone would buy now is beyond me.! If you're worried about the banks not giving you a mortgage in a few months, it's probably with good reason. You can't afford it.. Be it the risk of your job or not having enough of a deposit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

milhous wrote: »
    https://www-thejournal-ie.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.thejournal.ie/ireland-recession-pandemic-5058011-Mar2020/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&amp=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15852154172206&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thejournal.ie%2Fireland-recession-pandemic-5058011-Mar2020%2F

Yeh I'd say property prices are nice and stable. Nothing to see here.
    Why someone would buy now is beyond me.! If you're worried about the banks not giving you a mortgage in a few months, it's probably with good reason. You can't afford it.. Be it the risk of your job or not having enough of a deposit...
    Thanks for your advice. Maybe I should just resign myself to moving back out of the folk's home in another decade when I'm 43 so it's nice and safe for you, despite me having spent the last half a decade of my life on hold, whilst I saved almost triple the deposit the median earner would save for a house living the most frugal lifestyle I can.

The additional hidden savings of my missus not being able to have kids at that stage of our lives will save us even more money in the long run...

Let me help you with your understanding. Even if there's a short to medium term downturn in house prices and affordability. The prospect of negative equity for a while is far more palatable to people's current living situation. If you can afford a home in this market, the odds are you are not in the type of job that will be affected by the closure of the service industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

ERSI predicts the economy to retract by over 7 % . Recession coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Sheeps wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice. Maybe I should just resign myself to moving back out of the folk's home in another decade when I'm 43 so it's nice and safe for you, despite me having spent the last half a decade of my life on hold, whilst I saved almost triple the deposit the median earner would save for a house living the most frugal lifestyle I can.

Nice and safe for me..? It won't make a difference to me. I was just offering advice.. These posts are like a car crash.
    I'm just waiting to buy a second property, have been waiting for this turn down for some time. Just another 6-12months should save 100k or so where I'm looking.

But of course, by all means, Buy right now before the market takes a tumble. It just feels like the right thing to do I suppose

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I remember seen load's of old farmhouses sold. As the recovery came these junk stocks were doubling in price. A 2 bed rural home near me was purchased for 48k in 2014 and put back on the market in same condition for 160k in 2016!!

Id imagine these type of properties will fall the most. What about holiday homes, id imagine Covid19 will be around for a long time. People would holiday more in Ireland so they might be a good investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

We went sale agreed before all the madness started (buyers). The sale stalled because of some contract issues, and while it's stalled the whole market situation has led to some soul searching. We have a baby on the way and living with parents, so really want our own space ASAP, but it's hard not to be spooked.

Thankfully I'm in a stable job situation, and this is a medium-long term purchase, so while the idea of negative equity gives me the heebie jeebies, we're proceeding for now (pending resolution of the contractual stuff). But I'd be lying if I said we didn't consider pulling out and waiting to see if we could get something cheaper (or bigger) a few months down the line.

Advertisement