Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Maybe prices will drop but job losses will occur. And unlike the last recession, I have a feeling this will affect more areas. Even during the recession pubs and retail shops were opened.

I would advise if it is a long term home and you can afford repayments with potentially one of you laid off, keep going. Myself and partner have been both temporarily laid off (and I would have said if another recession came along, we would have been okay with our jobs) so our house plans are on hold. So no good to us if house prices go down so I don’t want people to be stuck in same situation as us.

This feels very different to other recessions. I feel last time you had a year or two warning that it was coming. This all feels like it hit within a month. And a pandemic is new to us in Ireland so we have no idea what the recovery will be like for something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We have decided we are going to wait for the next number of months before buying. My wife is in a senior marketing role in the hospitality industry and their budget for the year has literally been slashed to nil. She is with the company 7 years however there is a very real concern that she may be forced to take a pay cut or reduced hours. Problem is we have gone sale agreed on where are living now and will most likely have to pull out (if the buyer doesn't do so of their own volition), I hate the thought of letting the buyers down but I dont think we will have any choice.

You could rent after your sale goes through

There will be loads of properties on the market and most normal landlords would prefer to have rent coming in than having a house empty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

There will be loads of properties on the market and most normal landlords would prefer to have rent coming in than having a house empty

Normal landlords will do what is more convenient for them, some will rent out at current lower rents, while others will leave the property vacant until the rental market become competitive again. Renting is not hassle free, you dont do it unless there real profit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

For those that are planning on closing soon, have you any moving plan in place for if/when there's a lockdown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The other issue we have is that we have a portable tracker that has to be availed of within 6 months of closing a sale. Renting is an idea but you are still talking not too far off doubling our current mortgage as well as potentially being locked into a 12 month lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭davedub2015

Sale agreed on a property for 450 in d12 no contracts signed but feel we should negotiate prices based on the economy any suggestions with this?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Sale agreed on a property for 450 in d12 no contracts signed but feel we should negotiate prices based on the economy any suggestions with this?
    Thanks

Thoughts, certainly not advice so we are clear.

First part, 450 is no small change so are the jobs secure enough to assume ye will be ok after this blows over?

Second, negotiation is based on leverage. If someone else will pay 450 and seller knows this you have none.if seller can wait til uncertainty blows over they might wait even if it eventually does go down. The sweet spot is if they are keen to sell and you're the only show in town. But how do you know any of these variables

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sun0shine

Hi..

I was in process of buying a new build house in commuter town ~360K range, loan offer in place but haven't signed contracts yet. Certainly market is going to tumble..
    Bargain on new build an option? or time to pull out?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Thanks

What’s 450 getting you in Dublin twelve ? Yeah look obviously try to get it cheap as possible. I won’t be surprised though if they only drop it a percent or two or even nothing at all...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Deco99 wrote: »
    . .But how do you know any of these variables

If you get Gazumped, or don't, you'll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I assume banks might make allowances when this is all over. Like waive the 6 month payslips . Otherwise there will be a big crash

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I assume banks might make allowances when this is all over. Like waive the 6 month payslips . Otherwise there will be a big crash

Waive 6 months payslips? :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭IndieRoar111

Have to laugh at some still eager to buy. Like lemmings falling off a cliff

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hottea2019

Anyone has been successfully re-negotiated the price further down during this pandemic? Any tips?

You were still on the fence less than a week ago. :rolleyes:

The advice you were told then that made up your mind still applies. if your ideal place comes up and you can afford it comfortably, it may not be bad decision. If you are stretching and its not your ideal house and location then wait.

Since I bought mine there's been two recessions and one crash. In that time there been hardly any similar properties in the same area.
    I doubt I'd have had the same ability (liquidity) to buy in the same area after I did buy. I may moving this year or next, but in the same area. Supply is still scarce in the same area as it has been for decades.

If you don't care about location and are looking at it as an investment. Then thats entirely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Give it about 3 months and watch the prices tumble. About 1/3 is going to come off the price before christmas!

I wouldn't rule out completely the possibility to buy now, if anything it's a good time to negotiate.
    In the unfortunate event of helicopter money being distributed around, the Euro will lose a lot of its currency value, so people's savings will lose their value unless they get invested in property or stocks and share
    it's a vicious circle

Give it about 3 months and watch the prices tumble. About 1/3 is going to come off the price before christmas!

It will be interesting to see if you are right.

https://www.daft.ie/report/ronan-lyons-2019q4-dafthouseprice

beauf wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if you are right.

https://www.daft.ie/report/ronan-lyons-2019q4-dafthouseprice

Btw the Daft Report for Q1 sales is due next Monday, very curious to see what they have to say about the current status of the market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Btw the Daft Report for Q1 sales is due next Monday, very curious to see what they have to say about the current status of the market

I think Q2 will be more interesting.

Not everybody's circumstances are equal. Some have been long planning to get to the stage they are at now.
    For example our situation we sold last august, living with family now with 1 child, its no easy task.
    We are sale agreed in the 300-325k region in Dublin with great schools on our door step, Dublin mainline bus stop 50m from our front door and mortgage payments in the region of 60% what we would pay in the equivalent rent. Also, 300k is still 30% less than the same property in the development were sold for at the peak 2009/2010. We were not financially ready to purchase at the bottom of the market in 2011/2012 like some lucky people who picked up properties at a steal. Such is life, not everybody is as lucky.

Yes we are probably looking at negative equity for sometime if the crash is as bad as expected, but we need somewhere to live and we feel given the above circumstances, we are well without our own and the banks affordability criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

I think they will say it is too early to say how significant the impact on the market will be. Too many unknowns at this time.

I think Q2 will be more interesting.

People think they'll be getting property for free by then, and still able to borrow from the bank to buy these bargains...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

People think they'll be getting property for free by then, and still able to borrow from the bank to buy these bargains...

You will if you are in a stable job.

People who depend on mortgage will see no changes to their buying power
    House prices are high when banks injects money into people's pockets to buy property
    Without money there will no demand

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Like a Jockey !!

Didn't make difference the last time. Bank stopped lending period.

People who depend on mortgage will see no changes to their buying power
    House prices are high when banks injects money into people's pockets to buy property
    Without money there will no demand

I think you are deluding yourself. I know one guy who had a 40% of the house in cash, and a job of over 100k in a public sector and he struggled for a long time to get a mortgage the last crash. he also had a partner also in Public sector on good money. Didn't make any difference. Banks just weren't lending. Banks were stupid as well, they wouldn't let people sell until the property fell into negative equity. Then they sold at a huge loss, making people bankrupt. Then tried to get money off people, ended up writing it off.

People are being selective thinking only parts of the chain that they need to fall will fall and the bits they don't want to fall won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'm genuinely amazed that some are considering proceeding with a purchase despite so many unknowns.

Some people can get a mortgage now based off the money they were earning before Corona, they may not have an income like that again for a long time so they may see it as best chance to own a home and will still be paying a lot less than rent.

That would be my take anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

A planned development of 50 houses in my town now has been paused. Less than 10 houses started and the developers will not build anymore. I guess they're going to wait it out, keep supply low and prices high.

I've booked one of the houses but I'm going to pull out. Am sure the EA will say there's other buyers waiting since the supply has been cut short - but it just feels crazy to spend 350K on a house now with all this uncertainty (not in dublin). I still need a house but maybe I'll just rent a little longer and watch.

Advertisement