Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

They have started to set up mobile testing in car parks of GPs in the UK. You roll up in the car and fully protected nurses will take s swab if you are worried. Wonder if Ireland will take those measures or any measures 🀔

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The SBP states that Ireland would not have enough intensive care capacity to cope in the event of a large outbreak of coronavirus.

Therefore we should expect that the death rate isn't going to be constant, if we reach the point where the number of severe cases exceeds the intensive care capacity the % will spike.

The rest of the article is behind a paywall so if someone could enlighten us as to whether that was factored into their worst case scenario it would clarify things.

Like I said, you are suggesting that the worst case scenario is actually worse than the worst case scenario as outlined in the SBP.

I'll simplify it. The worst case scenario is accounting for intensive care capacity. So yet more misinterpreted "facts"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,566 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Iran urged to quarantine city immediately

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1231868318635741184

• Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Like I said, you are suggesting that the worst case scenario is actually worse than the worst case scenario as outlined in the SBP. I'll simplify it. The worst case scenario is accounting for intensive care capacity. So yet more misinterpreted "facts"

Right, and you couldn't have said that in your first reply?
    Instead of quoting the referenced article you started mentioning Hollywood films?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I wonder what this thread will look like next year.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Like I said, you are suggesting that the worst case scenario is actually worse than the worst case scenario as outlined in the SBP.

I'll simplify it. The worst case scenario is accounting for intensive care capacity. So yet more misinterpreted "facts"

But does that worst case scenario take into account our couple of proper oxygen ventilators?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I wonder what this thread will look like next year.

Pretty much the same as it looks now with an extra 169 pages.:D

If SHTF we may have many treads but like this one they will all stop at page 800.

The real question is how many threads will there be and will they be an active one this time next year?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

giphy.gif

One way or another. Cos either the whole thing will have passed and there'll be as much interest as there currently is in SARS.

Or else...

One way or another. Cos either the whole thing will have passed and there'll be as much interest as there currently is in SARS.

Or else...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Iran urged to quarantine city immediately

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1231868318635741184

The only grain of Hope I’d take is that “lawmaker” basically means TD, right? So take the current stats from that source as you would a TD versus their health agency coming clean or the WHO reporting on it.

Iran otherwise sounds like it’s well on its way to a Wuhan style outbreak, government inaction included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Pretty much the same as it looks now with an extra 169 pages.:D

If SHTF we may have many treads but like this one they will all stop at page 800.

The real question is how many threads will there be and will they be an active one this time next year?;)

Ha pretty much.

I found a good guide to it here, I don't enjoy the fear mongering to be honest and the guardian are reputable.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/23/what-is-coronavirus-and-what-should-i-do-if-i-have-symptoms

But I reckon this is already here and we will see it over the next few weeks. I don't have any confidence in our government to manage this correctly though.

https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd/status/1231648876605661192

Anyone still following Beijing's propaganda?

It's funny I don't see any condemnation (not even so much as a questioning) of China from the left in Ireland but you could rest assured that if it was the USA behaving in the same way (which they couldn't) you wouldn't hear the end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

We're allowed to post lies and bullshlt. Just take everything I say with a pinch of salt.

My thread about this fearmongering in feedback:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058055420/1/#post112585000

Reply from an admin:

If boards.ie policy is to allow fake news in 2020, I will continue to make a mockery of it and the posters here doing it.

I think we would all prefer if you don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

haha!! listening to RTE radio here - talking about the Rugby, talking like the Italy game is gonna happen .... fools..

They had some talking head from the HSE on earlier. The presenter just threw some softball questions at him and his answers where all nothing to see here don't panic type guff. He was saying our health system is more thna ready to cope with this i just laughed out loud.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I think we would all prefer if you don't post in this thread again.

He says he is in the lockdown area but he has no problems getting loads of drink.

I miss Googly already :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

On Sean O’Rourke now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Daily update from Worldometer

Close Cases = 27,830
    Recovered = 25,204 (91%)
    Deaths = 2,626 (9%)

The death rate keeps decreasing on a consistent basis as the number of closed cases increases

There are also still 40,310 open cases without an outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

How did the virus enter Italy? And how many on the airplane that brought in the carrier caught the virus too. Airplane air conditioning is a petri dish for such airborne viruses.

It's funny I don't see any condemnation (not even so much as a questioning) of China from the left in Ireland but you could rest assured that if it was the USA behaving in the same way (which they couldn't) you wouldn't hear the end of it!

Anyone still believing the figures from China???
    Crematoriums being overloaded for 2000 extra deaths and 'just another flu'?

• Advertisement

Right, and you couldn't have said that in your first reply?
    Instead of quoting the referenced article you started mentioning Hollywood films?

Hollywood movies??? Are you ok, son?

It's really as simple as this now:

If the Chinese numbers are to be believed then containment can work. Be prepared. Do some extra shopping.

If their numbers aren't to be believed be prepared for worse.

No need to panic. Just think about this clearly and logically.

He says he is in the lockdown area but he has no problems getting loads of drink.

To be fair, with the amount of misrepresentation on this thread. It would drive you to drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd/status/1231648876605661192

What makes you believe Jennifer?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Anyone still believing the figures from China???
    Crematoriums being overloaded for 2000 extra deaths and 'just another flu'?

I would imagine a lot of people are dying of other illnesses as the hospitals resources are being used to treat those with COVID.

It'd be a whole lot easier to get this sorted if they just came out and said this is how it happened and this is how ****ed we are.

9% death rate is crazy but I'd be thinking a large proportion of that 9% were people who already had pre-existing health conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

If 1 million people get infected in Ireland, I would expect that the fatality rate here will be higher as medical capacity to deal with severe cases will be overwhelmed.

Bingo and that's the issue we should all be concerned about. Our health service is a mess and we don't have the ability to do what China has done to save so many.

Hollywood movies??? Are you ok, son?

Are you? You were the one who mentioned Inception on this post.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112628763&postcount=9438

I think that says it all about your posts.

What makes you believe Jennifer?

I don't automatically but I appreciate the risks people are taking in reporting anything from China. Putting the regime in a light they don't like is rolling the dice.

This is why we need to take notice.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Bingo and that's the issue we should all be concerned about. Our health service is a mess and we don't have the ability to do what China has done to save so many.

Lads, are you actually saying that China has a better healthcare system than Ireland???? I've heard it all now.:D

Ireland is 19th in the world. China is 144th according to WHO so simmer down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I would imagine a lot of people are dying of other illnesses as the hospitals resources are being used to treat those with COVID.

It'd be a whole lot easier to get this sorted if they just came out and said this is how it happened and this is how ****ed we are.

9% death rate is crazy but I'd be thinking a large proportion of that 9% were people who already had pre-existing health conditions.

Pre-esisting health conditions can be anything, if you had a flue last week and your immune system is run down that qualifies too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement