Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

tom1ie wrote: »
    It’s already in Europe. 3 confirmed cases in France. Cases being monitored in the uk.
    How do you know there’s no cure? Source please.

Its a virus, the whole definition is that there's no cure :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,185 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Its a virus, the whole definition is that there's no cure :P

Yeah should’ve said anti-virus!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Reports suggest that Pres Xi has said the virus is 'accelerating' and urges people to come forward (not literaly), to report all cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

What he means by 'cure' is that there are no vaccines or anti-viral treatments approved for the new coronavirus, but there is a race now to develop them. Some companies will make nice money from it. The lessons learned from the SARS vaccine will speed things up.
    In short, ignore him.

There no miracle drug that exists right now or licenced that can get rid of Sars. There certainly no miracle drug for this strand of the coronavirus. The only action the Chinese can do is close down the city and try to stop from getting out further to the population.. Best hope it just goes away on its own and they contain it. 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

There no miracle drug that exists right now or licenced that can get rid of Sars. There certainly no miracle drug for this strand of the coronavirus. The only action the Chinese can do is close down the city and try to stop from getting out further to the population.. Best hope it just goes away on its own and they contain it. 

:confused: :rolleyes:
    Seriously you need to read up on how viruses and vaccines work. And then re-read my post.

• Advertisement

:confused: :rolleyes:
    Seriously you need to read up on how viruses and vaccines work. And then re-read my post.

Provide a link if you believe a vaccine for SARS exists? Otherwise it just nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Heighway61 wrote: »
    My sister lives in Shenzhen but is bunkered down in Meizhou. She says infections are now 3-4 million in number and Korea is in a panic with the lid firmly clamped down on reporting.

Some of the material I have received over Wechat from China indicates to me that this is something closer to the Walking Dead than we are being told. The death toll is far far higher and the truth is being censored.

The virus has mutated and spiralling out of control, even with a 2% mortality rate it will nearly 200m people once it goes Global, and it will go global.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

theguzman wrote: »
    Some of the material I have received over Wechat from China indicates to me that this is something closer to the Walking Dead than we are being told. The death toll is far far higher and the truth is being censored.

The virus has mutated and spiralling out of control, even with a 2% mortality rate it will nearly 200m people once it goes Global, and it will go global.

Those reports from China on wechat aren't very reliable, it will need some time to verify what's the real situation. We know the hospitals there are overwhelmed and chaotic right now though.

Provide a link if you believe a vaccine for SARS exists? Otherwise it just nonsense.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3371787/

https://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/infectious/sars-vaccine.htm

Stop talking about 'cures' and 'get rid of'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,185 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

theguzman wrote: »

It already is global. Multiple continents. It’s how deadly it is as opposed to how contagious it is at this stage, that will be what decides the barometer of this virus.

• Advertisement

SARS vaccine research started in 2002 or earlier and now 2020. No human vaccine/cure exists for SARS.

Providing links about SAR vaccine research in the past, just confirms my point here. They're no cure to fight this pathogen.. 

You can do better, if you believe there is a SAR vaccine, by providing the drug name and the manufacture?

SARS vaccine research started in 2002 or earlier and now 2020. No human vaccine/cure exists for SARS.

Providing links about SAR vaccine research in the past, just confirms my point here. They're no cure to fight this pathogen.. 

You can do better, if you believe there is a SAR vaccine, by providing the drug name and the manufacture?

Did you even read the links??? :confused:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/drugmakers-rush-to-develop-vaccines-against-china-virus-11579813026
    The NIAID had developed a vaccine against the SARS coronavirus during an epidemic in 2002 and 2003, but the SARS vaccine was shelved after the epidemic ended, Dr. Fauci said. That virus hasn’t reappeared since.
    In China, in 2004, researchers successfully vaccinated people with the SARS vaccine. They found that there were very few side effects associated with the SARS vaccine.

If there is another SARS outbreak in the future, the world will be well-equipped with an effective vaccine.

Moderna Inc., Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc. and Novavax Inc. said Thursday they plan to develop vaccines against the newly identified viral strain.

Please stop using the word 'cure'. It shows a lack of understanding.

Did you even read the links??? :confused:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/drugmakers-rush-to-develop-vaccines-against-china-virus-11579813026

If there is another SARS outbreak in the future, the world will be well-equipped with an effective vaccine.

Moderna Inc., Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc. and Novavax Inc. said Thursday they plan to develop vaccines against the newly identified viral strain.

Please stop using the word 'cure'. It shows a lack of understanding.

Dated 2016
    https://www.healthline.com/health/severe-acute-respiratory-syndrome-sars#treatment

Researchers are currently working on a vaccine for SARS, but there have been no human trials for any potential vaccine. Because there’s no confirmed treatment or cure for SARS, it’s important to take as many preventive measures as possible.

Here are some of the best ways to prevent transmission of SARS if you’re in close contact with someone who’s been diagnosed with the disease:

Wash your hands frequently.
    Wear disposable gloves if touching any infected bodily fluids.
    Wear a surgical mask when in the same room with a person with SARS.
    Disinfect surfaces that may have been contaminated with the virus.
    Wash all personal items, including bedding and utensils, used by a person with SARS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Chinese President admiting they don't have a handle on this at all seems to be the latest story.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭bmc58

LaFuton wrote: »

Anyone see the photo of a Chinese woman eating a dead bat sitting in a bowl of "soup"?Revolting .No wonder there is a new virus around when people eat that kind of dangerous "food"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Am I the only one thinking it's not a hospital but a mass grave they are digging in Wuhan?

Witchie wrote: »
    Am I the only one thinking it's not a hospital but a mass grave they are digging in Wuhan?

Just you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ha ha no, first thing MrPC7 said when he seen the diggers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If it were they would be doing it in secret; may well be but they are proud of their ability to build a hospital in 6 days.

You OK, Witchie? Look after yourself and stay home,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There was a very interesting interview on Matt Frei (LBC radio) this morning. He spoke to an Irish psychology teacher who is working in Wuhan College right now and has been living there for two years. If anyone wants to listen back......

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/matt-frei/coronavirus-outbreak-irish-man-trapped-wuhan/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I wouldn't discount the idea that the Chinese are grossly under-reporting the gravity of the situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

bmc58 wrote: »
    Anyone see the photo of a Chinese woman eating a dead bat sitting in a bowl of "soup"?Revolting .No wonder there is a new virus around when people eat that kind of dangerous "food"!!

saw that and an interview with mike baker on rogan in which at one point they discuss and source info on the fact bats are highly infected with up to 60 diseases including rabies, they showed a news feature of some poor dude who a bat just flew into his hand and he got very sick and died.
    check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I work at the airport, so....................

*Buys medical gloves, masks, and a large vat of sanitizer*

The spread of a deadly new virus is accelerating, Chinese President Xi Jinping warned, after holding a special government meeting on the Lunar New Year public holiday.

The country is facing a "grave situation" Mr Xi told senior officials, according to state television.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51249208

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

There was a very interesting interview on Matt Frei (LBC radio) this morning. He spoke to an Irish psychology teacher who is working in Wuhan College right now and has been living there for two years. If anyone wants to listen back......

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/matt-frei/coronavirus-outbreak-irish-man-trapped-wuhan/

Hmmmm, I'd be curious about whehter or not he is still employed afterwards. You know, nothing happens in China without an official giving the go ahead, and if it does then it can have a negative reaction.

My posts are probably coming across as melodramatic, but China is like a technologically advanced USSR during the cold war.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Graces7 wrote: »
    If it were they would be doing it in secret; may well be but they are proud of their ability to build a hospital in 6 days.

You OK, Witchie? Look after yourself and stay home,

Was meant to be out tonight but stayed home. Am thinking of going out tomorrow night but am still a bit worried. I am still sneezing and coughing from the flu I am just getting over so probably not a good idea to go out or people will think I am infected and run away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My wife is from a village near Gong'an in Hubei province in China. One of her cousins sent her a picture of a truck dumping soil on main road out of the villiage. Apparently one person in the village got infected so the solution is to block all access troads with mountains of soil...
    As its the Chinese New Year there they will be fine for food for a while as they stock up for the holiday period but its a pretty crazy situation, hard to imagine happening here.
    Her friends in Wuhan, where she went to university, are saying its far worse than the press are letting on/or know about.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Hmmmm, I'd be curious about whehter or not he is still employed afterwards. You know, nothing happens in China without an official giving the go ahead, and if it does then it can have a negative reaction.

My posts are probably coming across as melodramatic, but China is like a technologically advanced USSR during the cold war.

"Nothing happens without an official giving a go ahead" All he did was confirm without any motivation that the Chinese government's shutdown of the city is working. People aren't travelling.

These threads are always gas. Why would he lose his job.. Because he spoke on the radio while living in China..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement