Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Orebro wrote: »
    Was that a rep on a phone or something? Haven't heard anything about delays and ISPs are actively taking orders.
    Yep spoke with Nova. They said their system is showing the Carrigaline delayed to between March and May 2021 from Dec-Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭clohamon

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2021-02-17a.137&s=Broadband+speaker:246+section:wrans#g139.r
    There are over 4,500 premises in the Carrigaline deployment area and some 300 premises are currently eligible for connection with NBI advising that a further 373 premises will be eligible for connection by 1 March 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Communications Minister Eamon Ryan says the government is “monitoring” new EU minimum broadband speed targets that might cover an additional 100,000 Irish households.

At present, households that can receive a 30 megabits (Mbs) broadband service do not qualify for inclusion in the NBP.

This 30Mbs cutoff line is based on previous EU guidance about what constitutes ‘high speed’.

However, the EU is now revising that minimum target up to 100Mbs, with 30Mbs no longer deemed adequate for modern requirements. There are approximately 100,000 homes in Ireland stuck in this mediocre broadband limbo, not covered by fibre rollouts from Eir or Siro but also not deemed terrible enough to qualify for the National Broadband Plan.

https://www.independent.ie/business/100000-extra-households-could-get-funding-for-faster-broadband-40106828.html

KOR101 wrote: »
    Communications Minister Eamon Ryan says the government is “monitoring” new EU minimum broadband speed targets that might cover an additional 100,000 Irish households.

At present, households that can receive a 30 megabits (Mbs) broadband service do not qualify for inclusion in the NBP.

This 30Mbs cutoff line is based on previous EU guidance about what constitutes ‘high speed’.

However, the EU is now revising that minimum target up to 100Mbs, with 30Mbs no longer deemed adequate for modern requirements. There are approximately 100,000 homes in Ireland stuck in this mediocre broadband limbo, not covered by fibre rollouts from Eir or Siro but also not deemed terrible enough to qualify for the National Broadband Plan.

https://www.independent.ie/business/100000-extra-households-could-get-funding-for-faster-broadband-40106828.html

Welcome news so long as it doesn't screw up the current plan, but the EU speed standards are not new. They're 4½ years old.
    This vision is operationalised through three strategic objectives for 2025: for Europe's growth and jobs, Gigabit connectivity for places driving socio-economic developments; for Europe's competitiveness, 5G4 coverage for all urban areas and all major terrestrial transport paths; for Europe's cohesion, access for all European households to Internet connectivity offering at least 100 Mbps.

https://ec.europa.eu/transparency/regdoc/rep/1/2016/EN/1-2016-587-EN-F1-1.PDF

EDIT
    This seems to be the PQ from which the indo piece was sourced.
    https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2021-02-17a.117#g119.r

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Nothing about nbi

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2021-02-10a.147&s=Broadband+speaker%3A246+section%3Awrans#g149.r

Site Name|Eircode|County|Installed|Connected|School
    CLARE ISLAND COMMUNITY CENTRE|F28KP99|MAYO|Yes|Yes|-
    BERE ISLAND HERITAGE CENTRE|P75W660|CORK|Yes|Yes|-
    SHERKIN ISLAND COMMUNITY HALL|P81AE02|CORK|Yes|In Planning|-
    COLÁISTE PHOBAL CLÉIRE|P81P627|CORK|Yes|In Planning|-
    SCOIL CAOMHAIN|H91C967|GALWAY|Yes|In Planning|Yes
    COMHAR NA NOILEÁN|H91D27X|GALWAY|Yes|Yes|-
    INISHBOFIN COMMUNITY CENTRE|H91TC6C|GALWAY|In planning|In Planning|-
    KILRONAN LIBRARY|H91WN93|GALWAY|Yes|In Planning|-
    Cable Station|V23H685|KERRY|Yes|Yes|-
    TORY CO-OP|F92FD66|DONEGAL|Yes|Yes|-
    CHAPELTOWN|V23H240|KERRY|Yes|Yes|-

A small bit of technical info I came across, that may be of interest to someone, the very high capacity fibre-rings / metro-rings between all the local exchanges are 100G DWDM rings.
    Each DA effectively creates a ‘fibre ring’ which is essential to ensure reliability, robustness and resilience. Critical to the success of the network, NBI’s fibre rings are built with back-ups, ensuring that in the event of one fibre cable being disrupted, the whole network continues to perform as it should. One point of failure will not bring down the network.

Each fibre ring that NBI deploys is designed in a way that is non-discriminatory, meaning that as the rollout progresses, is can pass relatively urban areas at the same time as the some of the most remote premises.

543169.png

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

clohamon wrote: »
    https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2021-02-10a.147&s=Broadband+speaker%3A246+section%3Awrans#g149.r

Site Name|Eircode|County|Installed|Connected|School
    CLARE ISLAND COMMUNITY CENTRE|F28KP99|MAYO|Yes|Yes|-
    BERE ISLAND HERITAGE CENTRE|P75W660|CORK|Yes|Yes|-
    SHERKIN ISLAND COMMUNITY HALL|P81AE02|CORK|Yes|In Planning|-
    COLÁISTE PHOBAL CLÉIRE|P81P627|CORK|Yes|In Planning|-
    SCOIL CAOMHAIN|H91C967|GALWAY|Yes|In Planning|Yes
    COMHAR NA NOILEÁN|H91D27X|GALWAY|Yes|Yes|-
    INISHBOFIN COMMUNITY CENTRE|H91TC6C|GALWAY|In planning|In Planning|-
    KILRONAN LIBRARY|H91WN93|GALWAY|Yes|In Planning|-
    Cable Station|V23H685|KERRY|Yes|Yes|-
    TORY CO-OP|F92FD66|DONEGAL|Yes|Yes|-
    CHAPELTOWN|V23H240|KERRY|Yes|Yes|-

This appears to be, possibly, screwing Arranmore over for getting a mediocre 3 microwave link in before NBI got off their arse to serve them

Spent 30 years suffering with having a single wireless ISDN PRI to serve the entire island due to getting a "modern" exchange a bit early, so this wouldn't surprise me.

A cheap (4k would replace the entire current 1980s system) 2GBit microwave to the exchange on the island and maybe three VDSL cabs to cover most houses and you'd have the island served to a very high standard (70-100mbits - the last mile copper is very new plant, undergrounded after storm damage in the early 00s)

cregmon wrote: »
    Very good webinar this morning from Connected Ireland forum, hosted by Total Telecom & Nokia.

Peter Hendrick gave a an overview of their design & build process as well as a quick progress update (see attached image Attachment not found.).

Also a good analysis from Sky's Kevin Barrins on efficient investment and how public bodies need to work together with enterprise to avoid unnecessary duplication or complication such as two operators building fibre infrastructure in same areas. He also vigorously pointed out the difficulties facing operators with existing infra, e.g. FTTC currently provides largest share of return, and the risks associated with burdening existing customer base to finance new FTTH builds. The risk may be compounded if the planned public investment claws back the equivalent private investment - it will just be added to subscriber's bills.

The main gist of the discussion was that a near 100% fibre coverage won't seem excessive over time but it's key to balance both the public & private concerns (regulatory, finance, use cases, etc).

https://www.totaltele.com/508633/Connecting-Ireland-How-broadband-will-transform-the-Emerald-Isle

Submit your name and email address if you want to watch back
    Want to watch the session in full? The entirety of our Connected Ireland event can be viewed online. Register here

Interesting discussion, some NBI slides from the discussion

How-NBI-are-rolling-out-the-network.jpg

NBI-s-Network-Design-and-Build-Process-slide.jpg

General-Progress-Update.jpg

Where-we-are-today.jpg

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    I vaguely remember a discussion somewhere with NBI where they mentioned they would begin the rollout from enet OLT locations initially and move outward from there. Looking at the progress map posted earlier that appears to be happening in Limerick/Clare, Cork and Galway etc.

The 33 Regional exchanges/PoH are built first according to this NBI slide
    33 Regional exchanges

Regional Exchanges are our backbone and connect us directly connected to the Data Centres. We build these first.

194 Local exchanges

All Local Exchanges connect to their nearest Regional Exchange. These areas are built after the Regional Exchange area are built.

How-NBI-are-rolling-out-the-network.jpg

L1011 wrote: »
    This appears to be, possibly, screwing Arranmore over for getting a mediocre 3 microwave link in before NBI got off their arse to serve them

Spent 30 years suffering with having a single wireless ISDN PRI to serve the entire island due to getting a "modern" exchange a bit early, so this wouldn't surprise me.

A cheap (4k would replace the entire current 1980s system) 2GBit microwave to the exchange on the island and maybe three VDSL cabs to cover most houses and you'd have the island served to a very high standard (70-100mbits - the last mile copper is very new plant, undergrounded after storm damage in the early 00s)

Those were only BCPs on that list.
    The main NBP plan seems to provide for a backhaul microwave link from Bunbeg to the island. You'd hope that it'd be FTTP from there on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

The Cush wrote: »
    Where-we-are-today.jpg

Any hope of a link to a higher resolution version of the "Where we are today" image please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Any hope of a link to a higher resolution version of the "Where we are today" image please?
    Here's the mp4 link, which won't work with the registration key.

https://cdn.recordingassets.logmeininc.com/8909282613049686534/328691670874642438/e68a80f9-2831-494c-b415-e533835cddf0/recording/5074397208222082048/5074397208222082048.mp4

I'm guessing it was recorded in 1080p, so you won't get better resolution in the raw video.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

What do the borders represent on the "where we are today" map?

Edit: Ah never mind im blind!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

They'd want to be prioritising houses that can barely reach 2Mbps before upgrading houses already getting 50 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Orebro

Why don't they update their website withe the current info - there are areas marked red on the "Where we are now" slide" which means they are under survey, at least put them somewhere on the site to give people a small bit of info!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭naughto

Orebro wrote: »
    Why don't they update their website withe the current info - there are areas marked red on the "Where we are now" slide" which means they are under survey, at least put them somewhere on the site to give people a small bit of info!

So they cant be questioned over not meeting targets if there are none for people to see

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ReturnOfThe

North East of Athy town here. Just met an NBI guy on the road earlier this evening taking pictures of poles . Told me we would have it within 12 to 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Dero

North East of Athy town here. Just met an NBI guy on the road earlier this evening taking pictures of poles . Told me we would have it within 12 to 18 months.

That'll be the Ballylinan deployment area I presume. It extends North East of Athy up as far as Kilmead. After that it's the Curragh Camp area, and that hasn't started surveying yet.

544684.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Nuphor

Dero wrote: »
    That'll be the Ballylinan deployment area I presume. It extends North East of Athy up as far as Kilmead. After that it's the Curragh Camp area, and that hasn't started surveying yet.

544684.png

Know this was posted before, but do you have a link to the NBI rollout map with layers handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I've seen advertising for NBI at New Inn, Lavey and 2 NBI vans surveying at Poles in County Cavan today. So close yet so far for me

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Dero

Nuphor wrote: »
    Know this was posted before, but do you have a link to the NBI rollout map with layers handy?

I just used clohamon's kmz as posted previously and made my own map.

I mostly wanted to map the townlands around me to see how they fit with the estimated deployment area (quite well is the answer, with some ambiguity/overlap).

This is my map. I added layers for townlands in my own and surrounding deployment areas. That doesn't provide any really useful information, except to confirm that the approximate deployment areas look to be reasonably accurate.

P.S. I haven't shared a map from Google before, so not sure if that link will work correctly for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭db

This appeared on the pole outside my house today. Any idea how long after the DP is installed before it will be ready to order?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

I checked some houses around the Mahon area in Cork and noticed their estimated date of being connected is Dec 21-May 22 so I believe our house may actually have been moved to the Cork - Mahon deployment area from the Carrigaline deployment area. I originally thought it might have been moved to the Midleton one which made no sense at all! I'm wondering why there is no info about it on the rollout map page on the nbi site though?

There are also houses further north of us on the same road and closer to Mahon that are currently in build, does that sound right? We are further south and closer to Carrigaline than they are yet could possibly be part of the Mahon rollout.

I checked some houses around the Mahon area in Cork and noticed their estimated date of being connected is Dec 21-May 22 so I believe our house may actually have been moved to the Cork - Mahon deployment area from the Carrigaline deployment area. I originally thought it might have been moved to the Midleton one which made no sense at all! I'm wondering why there is no info about it on the rollout map page on the nbi site though?

There are also houses further north of us on the same road and closer to Mahon that are currently in build, does that sound right? We are further south and closer to Carrigaline than they are yet could possibly be part of the Mahon rollout.

Officially there isn't a Cork-Mahon DA in the contract and the number of DAs on the NBI website remains at 227. The date you quote Dec 21-May 22 coincides with the Midleton rollout and they are on the same fibre ring in any case. Common sense would say premises nearer the Cork-Mahon OLT would be connected to it but still remain within the Midleton rollout area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

This is welcome news, I get between 20-30mb myself and I tried everything and everyone to be added to the broadband rollout with no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

Xithus wrote: »
    This is welcome news, I get between 20-30mb myself and I tried everything and everyone to be added to the broadband rollout with no luck.

How are NBI evaluating your connection speed, FTTC prequal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Xithus wrote: »

I would honestly bite your hand off for those speeds.

My home home house gets 2Mb, where I live now I get 6-8Mb(often a lot worse). Upload a beautiful 0.5. You will find little sympathy here from me :pac:

While I agree eventually these types of speeds should be looked at, I just hope it doesnt delay those of us in far worse situations. Already a lot of us are looking at 2025/26.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭user1842

joe123 wrote: »
    I would honestly bite your hand off for those speeds.

My home home house gets 2Mb, where I live now I get 6-8Mb(often a lot worse). Upload a beautiful 0.5. You will find little sympathy here from me :pac:

While I agree eventually these types of speeds should be looked at, I just hope it doesnt delay those of us in far worse situations. Already a lot of us are looking at 2025/26.

I think Eir and Siro should be able to sort all the VDSL up to 100mb houses.

Could be one for Comreg and a USO?

NBI should not be involved here, I think.

Advertisement