Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People like SF candidates but won't vote for SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

jimgoose wrote: »
    He has a certificate in civil engineering from DIT.

He's done alright though, politics is not a skill that can be learned in school.

He'll be a minister yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

For me, these are the main things.

-Refusal to represent the people of northern ireland in westminster.
    -Anti-immigration policy
    -Anti-europe policy
    -Bat**** crazy economics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

quokula wrote: »
    Interestingly, if you compare those predictions to what has actually happened, government spending has in fact gone up by the 12 billion predicted by Labour and FG in that article, from 68 to 80 billion.

A 68 to 80 billion increase in public spending.

Ah yes, that explains the young lead accusing Leo of being "Thatcherite" yesterday. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

quokula wrote: »
    I got quite confused reading that article, until I realised it was several years old and not related to this election.

Interestingly, if you compare those predictions to what has actually happened, government spending has in fact gone up by the 12 billion predicted by Labour and FG in that article, from 68 to 80 billion.

Source please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

shortage of labour? are you having a laugh?
    https://www.irishjobs.ie/Jobs/Data-Analyst-8428846.aspx

If you're competing with an infinitely large pool market forces will never drive up wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,283 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

https://www.irishjobs.ie/Jobs/Data-Analyst-8428846.aspx

what is the relevance of that particular job ad?
    If you're competing with an infinitely large pool market forces will never drive up wages.

but you're not competing with an infinitely large pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I wonder how long it'll take Board's resident 'floating voter' to be the lead contributor in another SF thread?

What does this mean? Is it directed at me for asking a genuine question ?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I’ve heard people saying multiple times that they like certain SF candidates but they won’t vote for them as they are Sinn Fein. Trying to understand why there is such opposite to Sinn Fein? Have looked up online but not getting good info. Surely if someone likes a candidate and what they stand for they should vote for them? Please explain

Good topic. I think for alot of people it's the terrorism. Sinn Fein have members who are convicted murderers. For some people that is abit of an issue. And there is the issue with leadership. They are unduly influenced by the IRA centred in Belfast..Then theres the issue around the left wing communism...So while individuals may seem excellent ,they are in a wierd ,not wholly democratic party.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭facehugger99

road_high wrote: »
    Which he lied/window dressed about. Pretended he was a “Civil Engineer” whereas in reality he has the technician certification. His professional and academic career are almost as mediocre as his political performance then

He dropped out of his diploma course I believe.

The only vaguely difficult thing he's tried to do, he gave up on.

I guess it's easier to spoof Moneytree economics to the mouth-breathers who vote SF than to complete a diploma.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

SF will never get a majority to rule the country, at least any time soon.
    I agree tghat some of their policies are a bit over ambitious and wishful thinking, but I can't deny that my local TD has done a stellar job over the last few years.
    He has been an exellent source of support for our community and has represtented us well in the Dáil and on a more local level.
    He is a well educated man who has been involved in politics since his early childhood.

I have a relative who was suicidal last year due to addiction issues, we were trying to get him into a facility to rehabilitate him but everywhere we tried was full. We contacted two FF TD's and the Shinner, desperately begging for help as he'd already made several attempts to take his own life at that point.
    We got no reply from FF, but our Sinn Féin TD went above and beyond contacting rehabs himself on our behalf until he eventually found him a place. His secretary even called us a few months later to check all was well.

The same TD was extremely helpful to one of my neighbours when her child's SNA was in danger of being removed. He intervened and stopped it, thank god.

No other TD has been as helpful, vocal or supportive to me or my local community. I refuse to vote FG, and FF just don't seem to care on a local level and by all accounts did a crap job last time.

I don't particularly want to vote SF, but I think this man deserves my vote and at this point I can't see myself voting for anyone else. I think this is definitely the case for other people too.
    Their candidates are well liked in their localities and that will stand to them when it comes down to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Granny15 wrote: »
    Source please

https://whereyourmoneygoes.gov.ie/en/

Since 2016 it has gone up by that number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

The top 25% of earners in this country pay almost 80% of the income taxes.

People should let that sink in for a moment.

75% of the population are paying less than 20% of what it takes to provide for all out state-funded services.

SF's 'populist' idea is to reduce this amount even more. Presumably the shortfall will be made up of extra taxes on 'da rich' i.e. those already paying 4/5's of the pot.

The tax-base needs to be broadened not narrowed.

Their second 'big idea' on the economics front is to reduce the pension age.

Now even the dogs in the street know we are facing into a pensions time-bomb, with an aging population and falling birthrates.

To propose reducing the pension age is at best moronic, but more likely, a deeply cynical to move to harvest a few votes.

What was totally moronic was raising the pensionable age without first implementing legislation that prevented employer forcing retirement of employees before they had reached a pensionable age.
    Not a difficult thing to do, This government and the previous have been very quick to implement changes of law when it suited them.

Seriously, it wouldn't have taken an Einstein to have seen they way that it has been handled was just sheer stupid incompetence.

What might have been a prudent and simple policy to implement was still totally balls up by sheer incompetence

efanton wrote: »
    What was totally moronic was raising the pensionable age without first implementing legislation that prevented employer forcing retirement of employees before they had reached a pensionable age.
    Not a difficult thing to do, This government and the previous have been very quick to implement changes of law when it suited them.

Seriously, it wouldn't have taken an Einstein to have seen they way that it has been handled was just sheer stupid incompetence.

What might have been a prudent and simple policy to implement was still totally balls up by sheer incompetence
    I take it from this flailing through other parties with a scythe that you approve of the genius idea to reduce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

pwurple wrote: »

-Anti-immigration policy
    -Anti-europe policy
    -Bat**** crazy economics

-SF are elected on the basis they wont go to Westminster. There are other republican parties you could vote for if that's what you wanted
    -Are they anti immigration?
    -They haven't been anti europe in quite a while
    - Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I'd love an answer to post #167.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

I don't really follow much of what Pearse and co come out with due to the nonsense he has spouted in the past, but I noticed that they plan to raise €700 million through an intangible asset tax. Am I missing something here it is that their craziest yet?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/budget-sinn-f%25C3%25A9in-proposes-wealth-tax-and-high-income-levy-1.4036846%3fmode=amp

I'd love an answer to post #167.
    Look up the report on the poll. They ask them that question, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Who do they ask?

Who says Leo has a 35% rating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

pwurple wrote: »

-Anti-immigration policy
    -Anti-europe policy
    -Bat**** crazy economics

People voting know they won't go to Westminster, so doing what their voters want.
    What anti immigration ? Are they anti immigration
    There in favour of Europe
    Economic is bat**** in every party. 2 billion fir a hospital????

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I agree tghat some of their policies are a bit over ambitious and wishful thinking, but I can't deny that my local TD has done a stellar job over the last few years.
    He has been an exellent source of support for our community and has represtented us well in the Dáil and on a more local level.
    He is a well educated man who has been involved in politics since his early childhood.

I have a relative who was suicidal last year due to addiction issues, we were trying to get him into a facility to rehabilitate him but everywhere we tried was full. We contacted two FF TD's and the Shinner, desperately begging for help as he'd already made several attempts to take his own life at that point.
    We got no reply from FF, but our Sinn Féin TD went above and beyond contacting rehabs himself on our behalf until he eventually found him a place. His secretary even called us a few months later to check all was well.

The same TD was extremely helpful to one of my neighbours when her child's SNA was in danger of being removed. He intervened and stopped it, thank god.

No other TD has been as helpful, vocal or supportive to me or my local community. I refuse to vote FG, and FF just don't seem to care on a local level and by all accounts did a crap job last time.

I don't particularly want to vote SF, but I think this man deserves my vote and at this point I can't see myself voting for anyone else. I think this is definitely the case for other people too.
    Their candidates are well liked in their localities and that will stand to them when it comes down to it.

Yes this is why I think a lot of people will vote for them in this election compared to previous elections. FGFF members generally don’t seem to relate well to people that are struggling with health, housing and insurance costs. FG seem to come across as privileged with a lack of understanding of how the housing situation is affecting people.

I heard an interview with Pat Kenny with a principal in a DEIS school today and the stories about the problems lack of housing is causing was so sad. It is having severe developmental and physical affects on children. They even spoke about children not developing correct reflexes when eating due to not being able to cook food. I’ve also heard other people talking about children being delayed in walking and crawling due to lack of space. It really is horrendous that this is happening during a time our economy is so strong.

It’s not just social housing that is needed, it is affordable housing too. I think a lot of people will vote for anyone but FGFF as they are so desperate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

He has been an exellent source of support for our community and has represtented us well in the D and on a more local level.

We got no reply from FF, but our Sinn F TD went above and beyond contacting rehabs himself on our behalf until he eventually found him a place. His secretary even called us a few months later to check all was well.

It's this type of thinking that had Michael Lowry topping the poll on Tipperary every election despite the tribunal findings.

SF have a good on the ground reputation but I personally feel that the job of a TD should be primarily focused on the national level.

Ignoring a mining pensions crisis because people are living longer just for a populist view to keep the age at 65 is simply not prudent as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,345 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just out of interest what did he do here?
    I know a good few teachers who are always giving out about cuts that FG have made.(They will all continue to vote for FG and FF tough).
    From my understanding,
    In the past SNA's were mainly allocated to a child but there seems to X number of hours allocated to a school.
    The inspector(I think they are called a senor) decides if they they should be allocated x number of hours.
    They base this on if the child has being diagnosed after an assessment and they observe the classroom. The school also has to fill out an a good bit of paper work.
    The inspector does this assessment on the guidelines set out by the government and if your either entitled or not. You can of course appeal.

It's this type of thinking that had Michael Lowry topping the poll on Tipperary every election despite the tribunal findings.

SF have a good on the ground reputation but I personally feel that the job of a TD should be primarily focused on the national level.

Ignoring a mining pensions crisis because people are living longer just for a populist view to keep the age at 65 is simply not prudent as an example.

They aren't going to win though, and all the other parties would be willing to team up and jointly rule to ensure they don't get into power, so those policies are irrelevant really. They won't be happening.

The other TD's in my constituency are out of touch with the community, unavailable, and absent.
    He is not. He is present and he listens and he has done an excellent job (imo) of representing the interests of my constituency in the Dáil. Its a no brainer for me, really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Thats good that he did that. But unfortunately your basing your vote on this act which is exactly why he did it. Its the same with Healy Rae. thats all well and good, fine like but don't be complaining when national issues become huge problems. Its no different than i have my house i'm alright jack.

You've allowed a local issue cloud your judgement on things that will affect national issues. People like you will be the first to complain when your locality gets dragged into the much bigger picture. Obviously the whole problem with the way our politics work.

Just out of interest what did he do here?
    I know a good few teachers who are always giving out about cuts that FG have made.(They will all continue to vote for FG and FF tough).
    From my understanding,
    In the past SNA's were mainly allocated to a child but there seems to X number of hours allocated to a school.
    The inspector(I think they are called a senor) decides if they they should be allocated x number of hours.
    They base this on if the child has being diagnosed after an assessment and they observe the classroom. The school also has to fill out an a good bit of paper work.
    The inspector does this assessment on the guidelines set out by the government and if your either entitled or not. You can of course appeal.

I believe he contacted the Department of Education on their behalf, I'm not privy to all the details. All I know is that the SNA was in danger of being reallocated and when he intervened, that didn't happen.

Who do they ask?

Who says Leo has a 35% rating?
    Eh, the people polled.

I was under the impression that you contacted you local county councilor over a local issue.
    It might be a reason why Sinn Fein did poor last year in the local elections. People forget there County Councillor and went straight to the TD.

I believe he contacted the Department of Education on their behalf, I'm not privy to all the details. All I know is that the SNA was in danger of being reallocated and when he intervened, that didn't happen.
    Happy to hear it worked out for you. In fairness most TDs who had the remotest interest in their constituents would do this. I had two of mine and a couple of minsters looking into an issue I had. It didn't resolve as I'd hoped but they did make the effort. Ultimately it didn't affect my voting choices regardless. A TD needs to be more than a local fixer. IMO you need to be satisfied with how they represent their voters nationally as well.

Just what my understanding from speaking to teachers.
    Your are either entitled to one or you aren't.
    Providing you've submitted everything correctly.

Similarly to a TD getting somebody a medical card. You were entitled to it in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Just what my understanding from speaking to teachers.
    Your are either entitled to one or you aren't.
    Providing you've submitted everything correctly.

Similarly to a TD getting somebody a medical card. You were entitled to it in the first place.

Legal entitlement in itself doesn't mean that every claimant will get through the red tape and bureaucracy surrounding most services. That is what public representatives do to aid and support their constituents. It matters not one jot what party (if any) they are a member of, if they do their job effectively, efficiently and without fear or favour, then they will be rejected or re-elected on the merit of that.

Advertisement