Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE2020: Kildare North

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Orion wrote: »
    Opposition is a lot of work as well kiddo.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/social-democrat-td-roisin-shortall-says-ppe-can-be-produced-in-ireland-992218.html

"Social Democrats Co-Leader Roisin Shortall has called on Taoiseach Leo Varadkar to set up a forum to make personal protective equipment (PPE) equipment in Ireland."

Diabolically difficult :D

Its Leo, Simon and the dept of health that has to actually go out there and *put into practice* all the nice things that the SDs call for. They will then be condemned by the SDs for whatever goes wrong.

SDs will go nowhere near government for gods sake :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Rosahane wrote: »
    Hard to see a lot of point in the SDs if that's the policy as they will never be in government!

As I said I'm generational FG but, given the situation the country is in I am prepared to support going into coalition with FF despite my father and grandfather turning in their graves :o

I think you missed this part:

"Catherine Murphy has been quite clear. The party would like to go into govt but not at any cost. It would have to be a govt with a socially progressive programme and the numbers certainly are not there for that."

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/social-democrat-td-roisin-shortall-says-ppe-can-be-produced-in-ireland-992218.html

"Social Democrats Co-Leader Roisin Shortall has called on Taoiseach Leo Varadkar to set up a forum to make personal protective equipment (PPE) equipment in Ireland."

Diabolically difficult :D

Its Leo, Simon and the dept of health that has to actually go out there and *put into practice* all the nice things that the SDs call for. They will then be condemned by the SDs for whatever goes wrong.

SDs will go nowhere near government for gods sake :pac:

"Diabolically difficult" - nope. As the statement says there is plenty of capacity to make PPE. O'Neills already are.

"SDs will go nowhere near government" - you keep singing that song pal. It's complete crap but you keep on singing.

I do hope to be proven wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

very cool kid with a kid's memory. Roisin Shortall stuck to her principles and quit a higher paid job to go into opposition. Opposition is a lot of work as well kiddo.

Depends what way you look at it - could say she took the pay cut, abdicated responsibility for the hard decision to try and get re elected and stay on the gravy train.

Just to note - my issue isn't only with the SDs but with all the TDs with no interest in governing. Electing these guys is like hiring someone not to do a job.

You'll never get everything you want in coalition but if you're not in government or serious about getting into government you have **** all real influence

• Advertisement

I've already answered that.

"Catherine Murphy has been quite clear. The party would like to go into govt but not at any cost"

Once again for the people in the cheap seats:

"Catherine Murphy has been quite clear. The party would like to go into govt but not at any cost"

As for Roisin she objected to the cuts in health while she was a junior minister. The cuts went ahead anyway so she stuck to her principles and resigned both her ministry and the party whip. You seem to think that was self serving. I consider it showing integrity.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wow - a SF politician saying something positive about an FG politician? :eek:

https://twitter.com/ReadaCronin/status/1246905840281550849

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I've already answered that.

Once again for the people in the cheap seats:

As for Roisin she objected to the cuts in health while she was a junior minister. The cuts went ahead anyway so she stuck to her principles and resigned both her ministry and the party whip. You seem to think that was self serving. I consider it showing integrity.

What specifically do you (the SDs) mean by "a socially progressive programme" and "at any cost"?

Looking at your election manifesto I don't see anything that is hugely radical and would cause FF or FG to throw a wobbly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Wow - a SF politician saying something positive about an FG politician? :eek:

https://twitter.com/ReadaCronin/status/1246905840281550849

Through gritted teeth I would imagine... perhaps a gun to her head?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Tell ya what, if our newly elected TDs spend as much time working on their government duties as they do mouthing off on twitter we're in for one hell of a change under the new government.

I can now see why SF removed the account in it's entirety when the "scandals" came out, the sheer volume of activity since just Mar 14 is phenomenal.

• Advertisement

Tell ya what, if our newly elected TDs spend as much time working on their government duties as they do mouthing off on twitter we're in for one hell of a change under the new government.

I can now see why SF removed the account in it's entirety when the "scandals" came out, the sheer volume of activity since just Mar 14 is phenomenal.

Just had a look at it - see what you mean.

She also has some S***e about a shinner Easter 1916 commemoration which p****s me off since few if any shinner ancestors were involved with the rising or War of Independence!

It's comedy gold.

She retweeted something from "up the ra Cullinane" titled:
    Lack of oversight of non-compliant business activity ‘very concerning’
    Slab won't be impressed :)

You couldn't make it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Don't forget... turning down your TD pay rise does not count unless you tweet a photo of the completed form

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

mloc123 wrote: »
    Don't forget... turning down your TD pay rise does not count unless you tweet a photo of the completed form

There only seems to be one party politicising covid19, we can all make up our own minds who this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i posted this a few weeks back, but:

She joined twitter in Aug 2011, and had over 125,000 tweets. That averages over 40 tweets a day, every single day, for 8 and a half years :eek:

I'm surprised she managed to go cold turkey for as long as she did.

i posted this a few weeks back, but:

I'm surprised she managed to go cold turkey for as long as she did.

I see the fair Reada (why are most shinner females blonde?) is hugely active on Twitter again - mostly retweeting, and advertising on Kildare Now which isn't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TragicJohnson

I see the fair Reada (why are most shinner females blonde?) is hugely active on Twitter again - mostly retweeting, and advertising on Kildare Now which isn't cheap.

I don't like the lady for all the obvious reasons, but surely she's allowed on Twitter and to advertise on Kildare Now. It's hardly news.

I don't like the lady for all the obvious reasons, but surely she's allowed on Twitter and to advertise on Kildare Now. It's hardly news.

It's news because she has previously had a Twitter controversy, closed her account, reopened her account, and is mostly refraining from comment - mainly retweeting.

WRT to the advertising I think it's unusual for any political to advertise in this manner - I don't see any others doing it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's unusual when there isn't an election expected - but then again there sort of is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Don't have anything to do with the fair lady ( am in KS so outside her jurisdiction). BUT You are right, she is doing a LOT of advertising on Kildare Now. Opening page has 2 tabs advertising Her, and every page I opened after, she ad also was on each page.

She know something the electorate doesn't know?;)

• Advertisement

I wonder if the shinners have done any private polling?

The question would be how they would proceed in another election. They would be expected to run two candidates in every constituency which could be a disaster for them if their support drops and it's pretty clear that nobody else will go into coalition with them!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They wouldn't run two candidates everywhere; they've seen what running too many can do (Donegal) when the votes aren't quite there. No way would they run two in KN as that would almost certainly leave them with neither; whereas its possible that Cronin can get back in. However, her Twitter and planning things will bite her and hard and if FG are on 35% nationally we could see the return of Lawlor...

L1011 wrote: »
    They wouldn't run two candidates everywhere; they've seen what running too many can do (Donegal) when the votes aren't quite there. No way would they run two in KN as that would almost certainly leave them with neither; whereas its possible that Cronin can get back in. However, her Twitter and planning things will bite her and hard and if FG are on 35% nationally we could see the return of Lawlor...

Totally agree.

But if they don't run two in every constituency the morons that think they won the election last time are never going to get their lifetime of free stuff :)

...and we get to wind them up about not having the courage of their convictions*

* convictions as in beliefs not the other sort in case they are confused ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

mloc123 wrote: »
    Through gritted teeth I would imagine... perhaps a gun to her head?

Is the Army Council not running her twitter account now, Violet-Anne Wynne style?

n97 mini wrote: »
    Is the Army Council not running her twitter account now, Violet-Anne Wynne style?

It’s retweets ad nauseam, not an original thought to be seen... but then again :)

Cronin's maiden speech today called for the Luas to Naas and Kilcock.

Both of which have heavy rail which is vastly faster than Luas.

People really have elected a donkey here.

A Luas?? have you picked it up wrong?

The heavy rail line does need electrification, I think it might be planned already for some point in the future.

A Luas?? have you picked it up wrong?

The heavy rail line does need electrification, I think it might be planned already for some point in the future.

No, she specifically said Luas. Also wants Dublin Bus back to Kilcock when the BE service is faster.

Electrification to Maynooth is under advanced planning and Celbridge not quite so advanced.

Cronin's maiden speech today called for the Luas to Naas and Kilcock.

Both of which have heavy rail which is vastly faster than Luas.

People really have elected a donkey here.

There seems to be only three or four shinners who have any political, leadership and managerial ability.

As for the rest, one is minded of Haughey's vegetables :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BE service is faster.

And more expensive and less frequent.

Advertisement