Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boardsies greatest song of the 90s - Live Thread

Comments

H

When I look at the list from Kolido, there are some interesting omissions. No-one nominated one of the singles from White Ladder by David Gray, or other REM songs (besides the finalist and my own one) or The Spice Girls or All Saints or Sit Down by James.

I nominated REM - Drive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

bubblypop wrote: »
    I nominated REM - Drive

I left out Nightswimming assuming someone else would go for it... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I nominated REM - Drive

Sorry, I read the list wrong!

i just read the top 20 British singles of the noughties, abysmal reading!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

It's chronic alright!

• Advertisement

Haha I’m going through the top 100 per year and it doesn’t get much better.

It's also surprising that there was only one Jamiroquai song nominated.

Haha I’m going through the top 100 per year and it doesn’t get much better.

Maybe my nominations will stand a chance after all :pac:

There were some cracking bands in the 2000s but clearly not what the mainsteam public liked!

While there are a lot of songs and acts that I like from the 2000s and the 2010s, I would be much more familiar with the music of the 1990s, 1970s and most of all the 1980s. So, I think I might stay off the 2000s competition to give others a chance!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

While there are a lot of songs and acts that I like from the 2000s and the 2010s, I would be much more familiar with the music of the 1990s, 1970s and most of all the 1980s. So, I think I might stay off the 2000s competition to give others a chance!

That's entirely up to you Declan... but can you avoid the temptation:P

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058048285/1/#post112341906

Nominations now open ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

My own nominations...

Foo Fighters - Everlong; https://youtu.be/eBG7P-K-r1Y
    Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit; https://youtu.be/hTWKbfoikeg
    Radiohead - Karma Police; https://youtu.be/1uYWYWPc9HU
    R.E.M. - Losing My Religion; https://youtu.be/xwtdhWltSIg
    The Cranberries - Promises; https://youtu.be/hUFPooqKllA
    Hole - Malibu; https://youtu.be/v0CYB5V9e64
    Oasis - Morning Glory; https://youtu.be/Wm54XyLwBAk
    Manic Street Preachers - If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next; https://youtu.be/cX8szNPgrEs
    Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity; https://youtu.be/4JkIs37a2JE
    Marky Mark & The Funky Bunch - Good Vibrations; https://youtu.be/Zjk4CCVxWZM

lassykk wrote: »
    Maybe my nominations will stand a chance after all :pac:

There were some cracking bands in the 2000s but clearly not what the mainsteam public liked!

There’s definitely some hidden gems in the list. I’m gonna have fun with this one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

my noms:

The Cranberries - Dreams
    Aerosmith - Crazy
    RHCP- Under the Bridge
    Alanis Morissette - you oughta know
    No Doubt - Don't speak
    The Cardigans - My Favourite Game
    TLC - Waterfalls
    GreenDay- Basket Case
    Garbage - Stupid Girl
    EnVogue - Don't let go

just started writing off the top of my head and ended up with 30 or so and had to work back from there, I cut some that I felt were obvious like come as you are, and smells like teen spirit cos I was sure they'd get other noms and i cut others like placebo cos I didn't think they'd do too well to end up with the list above. I think the above is a good reflection of my musical tastes!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

lassykk wrote: »
    I'm genuinely shocked that no one put either Pearl Jam Black or Jeremy in their list of nominations. Alive is a quality track but I'd put Black or Jeremy before them.

Given a grunge track won the whole thing it's even more surprising to me!

Also surprised no Spice Girls or All Saints or even more so Take That, who's songs have stood the test of time a bit better (Back for good, etc)

I had assumed someone else would nominate them (Pearl Jam) so I left them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Here's my nominations. I left out all of the big bands on purpose.

Suede - Animal Nitrate
    Elastica - Connection
    Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
    Bjork - Big Time Sensuality
    The Breeders - Cannonball
    James - Laid
    Beck - Loser
    Eels - Novocaine for the Soul
    Crowded House - Weather With You
    REM - Losing My Religion

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

song with the most nominations won, and probably a deserved winner. Very influential (at the time) and a cultural milestone (though I'm sure Kurt Cobain would have told us all to f**k off with our awards).

my noms:

Happy Mondays "Step on"
    Blur "Girls and Boys"
    Suede "Stay Together"
    The Prodigy "Out of Space"
    Faith No More "Midlife Crisis"
    Primal Scream "Loaded"
    Depeche Mode "Enjoy the silence"
    The Shamen "Ebeneezer Goode"
    Underworld "Born Slippy"
    The Sultans of Ping FC "Where's me jumper"

loyatemu wrote: »
    song with the most nominations won, and probably a deserved winner. Very influential (at the time) and a cultural milestone (though I'm sure Kurt Cobain would have told us all to f**k off with our awards).

The Sultans of Ping FC "Where's me jumper"

Yep I would agree with this.

Was suprised what won the 80s one so I'm looking forward to the 00s one

I was wondering who in their right mind nominated that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

I nominated Where's Me Jumper too!

An Emotional Fish - Celebrate
    Something Happens - Parachute
    The Fat lady Sings - Arclight
    A House - Take It Easy On Me
    Whipping Boy - We Don't Need Nobody Else
    The 4 Of Us - Mary
    The Frames - Revelate
    The Sultans Of Ping - Where's Me Jumper
    The Frank and Walters - After All
    The Divine Comedy - National Express

I went all-Irish - I wondered if songs that were pretty big in Ireland might resonate. I think National Express went the furthest for me - tellingly, it's probably the song that went furthest in terms of UK chart position too.

I had big hopes for The Fat Lady Sings - Arclight. I suspected that it was well-regarded as an Irish pop-song. But it turns out that although my username is The Heathen, you're actually all heathens! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

The 4 Of Us - Mary
    The Frames - Revelate

I went all-Irish - I wondered if songs that were pretty big in Ireland might resonate. I think National Express went the furthest for me - tellingly, it's probably the song that went furthest in terms of UK chart position too.

I had big hopes for The Fat Lady Sings - Arclight. I suspected that it was well-regarded as an Irish pop-song. But it turns out that although my username is The Heathen, you're actually all heathens! :D

bit of investment in The Cranberries would have paid better dividend!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Except that most of that list is far better than The Cranberries!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Necro wrote: »
    We haven't finished the decades yet :P

I'm going to run the Noughties one next (thread to follow this evening) then we might even go back in time to the 70s, if I can find the time :)

I'm interested in running one of these competitions too.

I have an idea: Boardsies decide greatest non-retail single song of all-time. In other words, the greatest song never released as a single OF ALL TIME! :cool:

If people don't like that idea, I could do a decade: the last decade, the seventies, the sixties, the fifties-I don't mind. Let me know here or via PM. I will get it up and running soon enough but it won't clash with Necro's one.

Danke Kolido for your hard work. Smells Like Teen Spirit is a worthy, if unbelievably predictable winner!

The 4 Of Us - Mary
    The Frames - Revelate

Some absolute belters in that list.

Just personally can't stand Where's Me Jumper. One of those songs that just grates on me the second I hear the intro. Up there with All About The Bass (Meghan Trainer) and Be Faithful (Fatman Scoop) on the list of songs I hate!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Here are my nominations

Sinead O Connor Nothing compares to you
    Natalia Imbruglia Torn
    Nirvana All Apologies
    U2 One
    Shakespeare's Sister Stay
    The Prodigy Firestarter
    Aqua Barbie Girl
    Fatboy Slim Praise You
    Lenny Kravitz Fly Away
    An Emotional Fish Celebrate

Was delighted that Nirvana won as they were/are one of my fave bands of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

I remember seeing them in a tent at an early Feile (pre-Linger etc) and being blown away them - and by Dolores in particular (obviously) - but apart from a short dalliance with the first album their recorded output never really did anything for me. :o

Reberetta wrote: »
    I'm interested in running one of these competitions too.

I have an idea: Boardsies decide greatest non-retail single song of all-time. In other words, the greatest song never released as a single OF ALL TIME! :cool:

If people don't like that idea, I could do a decade: the last decade, the seventies, the sixties, the fifties-I don't mind. Let me know here or via PM. I will get it up and running soon enough but it won't clash with Necro's one.

Danke Kolido for your hard work. Smells Like Teen Spirit is a worthy, if unbelievably predictable winner!

You could take control of the 70s. Poor quickbeam is waiting so patiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Necro wrote: »
    That's entirely up to you Declan... but can you avoid the temptation:P

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058048285/1/#post112341906

Nominations now open ;)

Awesome Necro, thank you very much!!!
    I will send you my nominations tonight!!!

I already posted my ten nominations for this earlier in the thread, but here are ten more from my shortlist that nobody ended up nominating (this is excluding artists who I nominated for other songs):

Fiona Apple - Criminal
    Garbage - Only Happy When It Rains
    Hole - Violet
    Mazzy Star - Fade Into You
    Portishead - Sour Times
    REM - E-Bow the Letter
    Skunk Anansie - Hedonism
    Sonic Youth - Kool Thing
    U2 - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
    Youssou N'Dour & Neneh Cherry - 7 Seconds

Also had Heart Shaped Box on my list, amazing that didn't get a nod given all the Nirvana love here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Was gonna submit Kool Thing or Sugar Kane for your walrus homer. Wasn’t sure how’d they go down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

No love for The Cure in this thread after the love-in on the 80s version? Friday I'm In Love might be their best song!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Reberetta wrote:
    I have an idea: Boardsies decide greatest non-retail single song of all-time. In other words, the greatest song never released as a single OF ALL TIME!

Go for it Reberetta, no need to wait either you can open sign ups and we just make sure we don't clash with the tourneys :)

Advertisement