Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies greatest song of the 90s - Live Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

QF/Match 3

Imho this should at least be semi final or final and a very hard decision as I love both these songs. Both gritty, both with great guitar, both huge anthems and epitomising the 90s but it has to be Nirvana

Nirvana - Come As You Are

QF/Match 4

No Doubt - Don't speak

Just love this song it has a great catchy tune and still holds its own on radio today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Cranberries - Definitely one of their best songs and as stated previously loved Dolores' voice. Also, not the best Nirvana song

Rage Against The Machine - Great song on a night out and whilst I'm not a big fan of the band I am a big fan of this song

Great song, really important message and the lead singer never went on to record Hollerback Girl

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The Cranberries - Zombie - both great songs. Zombie wouldn't be my favourite of The Cranberries, but its still great, and we've already got a Nirvana song in the semis.

Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name - both bands have much better songs, neither Don't Speak nor Killing In The Name would be absolute favourites of mine, but gotta give it to Rage here because I love the anti-establishment message of the song.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Kolido wrote:

Kolido wrote:
    No Doubt - Don't speak

No frills, just the two better songs imo.

Been listening to Come As You Are again since it first was introduced in this tourney and it's a criminally under rated track.

No Doubt is just an iconic 90s song much more so than Rage.

• Advertisement

QF/Match 3
    very tough........love nirvana, but that cranberries song is class.
    I'm going to go with Zombie:eek:

QF/Match 4
    Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of

my nomination

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

3. Nirvana - whilst I don't think there should be 2 Nirvana songs left in at this stage, I really don't like Zombie
    4. RATM - such an uncompromising track, also it was Xmas no. 1 (not during the 90s admittedly). The No Doubt song does nothing for me.

#3 Come As You Are
    That bassline is delicious and it's quite a sweet song in its own twisted way. It's wrong if Teen Spirit gets further than this imo. Zombie is great but CAYA is the better song overall.

#4 Don't Speak
    Classic heartbreaker but with a catchy sing along chorus - a great mix of light and dark. RATM is good but overplayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Cranberries. Zombie is just way better than Come as you are

RATM - I like this song and I’m fairly indifferent to No doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

QF/Match 1
    R.E.M. - Losing My Religion
    Just prefer this

QF/Match 2
    Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
    My last nom in this comp. Still an epic classic to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

QF/Match 3
    I disagree with most I think in that I think Zombie is one of The Cranberries weakest songs - it's a bit too cliched for my tastes. Come As You Are is atmospheric and great.

QF/Match 4
    Voting for Rage mostly because I really really dislike that No Doubt song :o

QF/Match 3
    The Cranberries - Zombie
    My favourite Cranberries song. Dolores' vocals are simply amazing

QF/Match 4
    This is a tough one as I like both and both are completely different songs. I will go with RATM as I would be more likely to be tapping away on the steering wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I feel pretty indifferent towards all 4 songs

I guess dont speak cause it feels more 90s to me and
    zombie cause that's probably my least favourite nirvana song

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Match 3 - Nirvana - Come As You Are. My favourite Nirvana song, nearly made my nominations list.

Match 4 - No opinion

Come as you are - could listen to it more than the cranberries

Don’t speak / killling in the name of - abstaining as I don’t think either are worthy of the title of best song of the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Nirvana - Come As You Are - It has a good bassline. I don't like Zombie anyway.

No Doubt - Don't Speak - Nice genuine ballad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Zombie - Have already stated that Come as you Are is one of the weaker tracks on album and Zombie is just a monster...pun intended.

Killing in the Name of - As someone else said it's just an uncompromising rock track. Don't Speak was a bit annoying after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

RATM as its a better song

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Zombie - While I always relate indie songs to the 90s this was still a classic
    RAGTM - Its just a better song

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The Cranberries - Zombie 8 8 Nirvana - Come As You Are
    No Doubt - Don't speak 5 9 Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of

• Advertisement

The Cranberries - Zombie 8 8 Nirvana - Come As You Are

The Cranberries advance due to conceding less in the previous round, 11 - 14

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Still have 2 songs going in to the Semis. Hopefully at least one can make it to the final and take home the win.

Solid enough Final 4 in fairness.

Lets go with the SF now, and hopefully do the final this evening.

Please give a reason for your vote.
    Will leave this open until 3pm, no quota.

SF/Match 1

1991/ UK #7 US #6 Ire #15

vs

1992/UK #1 Ire #2

SF/Match 2

The Cranberries - Zombie
    1994/UK #14 Ire #3

vs

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion
    1991/UK #19 US #4 Ire #5

Whilst undoubtedly all 4 are excellent tracks none of them would regularly feature in one my playlists with the exception of Zombie so that gets the nod in match up number two for that reason.

In number 1 I think due to the significance of the song on the Grunge era I'll give the nod to Smells like teen spirit. If I wanted to get out and dance to a tune I'd probably prefer RATM but for significance I'll have to go with Nirvana.

SF/Match 1
    My nomination and just a slightly better song.

SF/Match 2
    The Cranberries - Zombie
    1994/UK #14 Ire #3
    No competition here as far as I'm concerned. Zombie is a favourite of mine and as I have said before, I think Lacuna Coil's cover of Losing My Religion is far superior to the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit. It's just better than RATM

REM - Losing My Religion - While I like Zombie, I nominated this one and it has quite a distinctive sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

SF/Match 1

As stated previously Nirvana were at the forefront of grunge in the 90s and helped make it mainstream. This song is a 90s classic anthem and Grohl is a god.

SF/Match 2

The Cranberries - Zombie
    1994/UK #14 Ire #3

Great song and guitar, probably not their greatest but deserving of a place in finals

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Kolido wrote:
    Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit 1991/ UK #7 US #6 Ire #15

Better song by miles imo.
    Kolido wrote:
    R.E.M. - Losing My Religion 1991/UK #19 US #4 Ire #5

Zombie has gone way too far in this competition and neither probably deserves the final but I prefer this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Smells Like Teen Spirit and Zombie

Both feel more like 90’s tracks personified to me yet are still playable as hell today and I’d leave them on if I heard them.

Advertisement