Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies greatest song of the 90s - Live Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Sent my pm as heading out for a little while and I would be kicking myself if my song lost by one due to me missing the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The final.

Please give a reason for your vote
    Voting opened till 10pm, no quota.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Has to be Nirvana. Defined a generation of grunge. Not my favourite 90s song by a long shot but would be a worthy winner

Final

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

1991/ UK #7 US #6 Ire #15

R1 6 - 1 Pulp - Do You Remember the First Time

R2 6 - 3 Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger

R3 7 - 1 Blur - Song 2

R4 10 - 4 The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony

QF 8 - 4 Coolio - Gangster's Paradise

SF 17 - 0 Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of

vs       

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

1991/UK #19 US #4 Ire #5

R1 6 - 2 U2 - One

R2 6 - 0 Alanis Morissette - You Oughta Know

R3 7 - 1 Elastica - Connection

R4 8 - 7 Sinead O Connor - Nothing Compares to You

QF 8 - 4 Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge

SF 11 - 6 The Cranberries - Zombie

4 votes for Nirvana via pm.

Thank you, Declan, Zaph, die hard, and shelly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

My pm posted for handiness
    I'd like to vote for Smells like teen spirit because Nirvana and Cobain were a brief flash of genius that helped define a decade for many people

Nirvana,
    changed my life, loved grunge music, college years spent in fibber magees, still listen to it regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Both songs had impressive runs and beat out some tough competition, both are worthy winners, and both are songs I nominated so its a difficult decision.

The song I'm voting for however is uniquely '90s, kickedstarted a new genre, and changed the landscape of music, so getting my vote for the win...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Losing my religion is my vote which is a good song and I dont want it to be whitewashed.

Lithium is my favourite nirvana song. Teen spirit is grand and will be a good winner but not the best for me

Nirvana.

Resonates with my younger 90s self than losing my religion ever would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Vote for Nirvana here

Simply a perfect song with intense guitars, brilliant drums and a vocal that helped kick the mainstream doors off their hinges for Nirvana and the grunge era. Its a song that became bigger then the band and represents the 90s era while still holding its own with the music of today. And Grohl is a god.

Also brings back great memories of Fibber McGees and McGonagles mosh pit

Both very good songs and solid choices but I'm gonna vote for Losing My Religion.
    Partly because Smells Like Teen Spirit is too much of a safe/obvious choice to win.
    Partly because Losing My Religion is a more timeless song, whereas Teen Spirit is very much of its time.
    And lyrically I just think Losing My Religion has more depth to it than Teen Spirit does.

I won't mind too much whichever one wins though. Once my ten nominations all went I knew the correct song wasn't gonna win anyway! :p

Rikand wrote: »
    Losing my religion is my vote which is a good song and I dont want it to be whitewashed.

Lithium is my favourite nirvana song. Teen spirit is grand and will be a good winner but not the best for me
    Kenneth is my favourite REM song

Orange crush for me

E-Bow The Letter is mine. Would have nominated it except I didn't think it would have much mass appeal, plus I assumed other REM songs would be nominated anyway. Plus only having 10 nominations to begin with!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Everybody Hurts is mine along with Michael Stipes' duet with Kristin Herch on Your Ghost

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

So 1991 is the year that defines the decade.

REM.

I had this in my nominations and while I like both songs, I'm gonna stick with REM. I had a feeling they might make the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Smells like Teen Spirit

Pretty much my teen spirit won't let me vote otherwise here. Its an iconic 90's track. I actually love losing my religion too but as a song of the 90's it has to be Nirvana

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Orange crush for me

Me too!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It's interesting that Gangsta's Paradise provided the toughest opposition for Teen Spirit, and even that wasn't close really.

In terms of the contest, it's been divisive but mostly fun.

Some dislike Oasis despite them and particularly Wonderwall launching Britpop into the mainstream

Some dislike Blur even though the rivalry was decade defining for some hardcore fans.

Most don't like (or refuse to admit in public perhaps :P ) a lot of the massive massive pop tunes from the 90s.

Etc etc (I could and probably should mention Radiohead here but can't think of a decent comparison)

However there is a song that seems to have a large consensus of agreement.

The one song I think 99% of us are in agreement for the entire competition

And that's where my vote goes.

Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Thanks for running the competition Kol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Losing my Religion by R.E.M. simply because I prefer it.

I predicted Nirvana would win when giving my nominations, maybe a miracle might happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Smells like teen spirit.. basically the soundtrack to my 90's.. and since if I'm honest :D

Nirvana, just the quintessential 90s band. I like the song but it'd be a default selection anyway as I've never had any time for R.E.M. Not many songs I'd give R.E.M a vote over.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Smells Like Teen Spirit. Everybody Hurts is simply too whingey in places for my liking whereas SLTS is a belter from the off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Two great songs, but has to be Smells Like Teen Spirit, the defining song for the grunge movement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I'm voting for I'll Be Missing You by Puff Daddy & Faith Evans in protest.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sheridan81 wrote:

You had your chance :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

In before deadline not that it makes a difference looking at the thread. Said it earlier but Smells like Teen Spirit is so iconic for the decade. An apt winner

Sheridan81 wrote: »

I don't get it if your a BIG fan then why not one of his songs if you a Diddy fan why not something good?

• Advertisement

The winner of Boardsies greatest song of the 90s

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit 15 4 R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Thanks everyone for taking part.

Advertisement