Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculous #GE2020 promises

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Kellyconor1982

I can't see Metrolink being cancelled. The green party tds and fianna fail tds like lahart will be trying to push for more pt also in their areas. Sinn Fein are promising the world and Fine Gael have been punished for not spending enough. Whoever is in government in the coming months will not put prudence as a priority.

I don't support any party but gave my vote to the green party. My gut feeling is that the next government will want big projects to show it's making a difference. Not good for the national debt, but good for transport etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I can't see Metrolink being cancelled. The green party tds and fianna fail tds like lahart will be trying to push for more pt also in their areas. Sinn Fein are promising the world and Fine Gael have been punished for not spending enough. Whoever is in government in the coming months will not put prudence as a priority.

I don't support any party but gave my vote to the green party. My gut feeling is that the next government will want big projects to show it's making a difference. Not good for the national debt, but good for transport etc.

Transport (in the right places) is good for the national debt. Its an investment that pays you back many times over financially, socially and mentally as people spend more time working/enjoying selves than sitting in queues.

Transport (in the right places) is good for the national debt. Its an investment that pays you back many times over financially, socially and mentally as people spend more time working/enjoying selves than sitting in queues.

Yeah I completely agree. However, I can see Sinn Fein spending gigantic amounts on projects to really make a statement and that was my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yeah I completely agree. However, I can see Sinn Fein spending gigantic amounts on projects to really make a statement and that was my point.

I dont think this is a bad thing, when the alternative here is, the usual, i.e. spent on ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Pete, sorry for the delay but I'm just back in the door after a week away and I didn't have the time to find the source. The link I generally use for the latest density figures in Dublin is shown below, but there are other sources:

https://www.citypopulation.de/php/ireland-dublin.php

I don't want to further clutter up this thread with a discussion of those numbers here, having got derailed earlier on.

I am genuinely curious about the Greens' proposal for a line between Ranelagh (in the Southeast) and the Southwest, rather than directly between the city centre and the Southwest.

It is obvious that the largest group of people on any tram/train/metro/bus from the Southwest want to get directly to the city, not to Ranelagh.

Does anybody on the board know what the Greens' logic might possibly be?

No point in looking for considered logic, they chose the last stop which was not the subject of significant disagreement and then added on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

SF won't be in power on their own, if they do play a part in the next government.

The Green Party will be a massive piece of any next government and with Labour and the Social Democrats coming in as a block, I believe (hope) that this will result in a significant expenditure on transport.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The Green Party will be a massive piece of any next government and with Labour and the Social Democrats coming in as a block, I believe (hope) that this will result in a significant expenditure on transport.

The Greens may be nowhere near government.

There will be another election unless SF go into coalition with either FF or FG. SF+Greens+Labour+SD+PBP = 66. That's 14 short of a majority and very unstable.

The Greens are not needed if SF go into coalition with FF. SF+FF + any of Labour/SD/PBP gives a majority.

A very interesting few weeks ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

The Greens may be nowhere near government.

There will be another election unless SF go into coalition with either FF or FG. SF+Greens+Labour+SD+PBP = 66. That's 14 short of a majority and very unstable.

The Greens are not needed if SF go into coalition with FF. SF+FF + any of Labour/SD/PBP gives a majority.

A very interesting few weeks ahead.
    FF+SF gives only 75. With Greens they've a majority of 6 and relative stability (although Ryan, Martin and McDonald negotiating a budget would be a sight to see) with SD or Labour they've only a majority of 1. Which is a bit less stable - you're right though Greens don't have much power. SDs are probably nearly as good in transport though just don't oppose road building as much

Dats me wrote: »
    FF+SF gives only 75. With Greens they've a majority of 6 and relative stability (although Ryan, Martin and McDonald negotiating a budget would be a sight to see) with SD or Labour they've only a majority of 1. Which is a bit less stable - you're right though Greens don't have much power. SDs are probably nearly as good in transport though just don't oppose road building as much

Deals can be made and kept with all the mercs and perks on the line.

The buzz of power, the access, the meetings, the money, can all help keep things in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Yes, of course. But it such projects often don't pay off until the next government. Most voters give little thanks for planning, which is why we are where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Deals can be made and kept with all the mercs and perks on the line.

The buzz of power, the access, the meetings, the money, can all help keep things in place.

But when their parties' aims are so divergent I can't see it even forming. For example SF's policy on things like Farming and burning peat is to just keep at what we're currently doing, except spend more government money on it with a vague notion of becoming more environmentally friendly at some stage in the future. There's no way the greens will accept that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

But when their parties' aims are so divergent I can't see it even forming. For example SF's policy on things like Farming and burning peat is to just keep at what we're currently doing, except spend more government money on it with a vague notion of becoming more environmentally friendly at some stage in the future. There's no way the greens will accept that.

How flexible are Sinn Fein on that policy though? It might not be a deal breaker for them to drop it. Ultimately a coalition will require compromise on all parties involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Probably the most ridiculous promises have come in relation to housing. The housing shortage is obviously a huge issue and everyone is claiming that they can fix it. SF say they will build 100,000 social houses over five years while FF claimed they would build 200,000 homes (but this includes private development).

CSO has today published figures on housing completions for Q4 2019;

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/ndc/newdwellingcompletionsq42019/

Apartment completions up 72.2% quarter-on-quarter from Q4 2018 - 726 to 1,250.

Total completions for the year are 21,241 which is up 18.3% on last year overall.

Construction of units is increasing at least which should help close the gap between supply and demand. IMO a combination of the Strategic Housing Development planning system (fast-tracked going straight to ABP), allowing for increased heights and densities and revised apartment regulations (e.g. number of lift cores, dual aspect ratio, etc.) introduced by Eoghan Murphy are facilitating this increase in construction. I can't see the new government (whatever the make up) doing anything to actually improve things further, they will most likely claim the credit for any improvement coming from what is already happening. Any further market interference will have to be carefully done as it has the potential to damage new construction, in which case supply will never catch up with demand.

The Rebuilding Ireland website contains quarterly updates on Social Housing Construction;

https://rebuildingireland.ie/news/minister-murphy-publishes-social-housing-construction-status-report-for-q3-2019/
    The latest Construction Status Report shows that:
      There were 6,499 social homes are onsite nationwide at end September.
      There were just under 23,000 (22,721) homes in the pipeline, up more than 19% on the pipeline in place coming into 2019.

The full report lists every housing development and what stage it is at (from Stage 1 Capital Appraisal to Completion). Again, the new government won't actually have a hand in delivering those units but will no doubt be all over any ribbon cutting. Building 100,000 in five years would require doubling the delivery of units each year but any additional units will take a couple of years before they reach construction so realistically you need to be hitting far higher completion rates in years 3, 4 and 5 to hit that target.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭roadmaster

They may also allow for a major increase in Irish Water budget if they are going to build all these houses

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Probably the most ridiculous promises have come in relation to housing. The housing shortage is obviously a huge issue and everyone is claiming that they can fix it. SF say they will build 100,000 social houses over five years while FF claimed they would build 200,000 homes (but this includes private development).

CSO has today published figures on housing completions for Q4 2019;

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/ndc/newdwellingcompletionsq42019/

Apartment completions up 72.2% quarter-on-quarter from Q4 2018 - 726 to 1,250.

Total completions for the year are 21,241 which is up 18.3% on last year overall.

Construction of units is increasing at least which should help close the gap between supply and demand. IMO a combination of the Strategic Housing Development planning system (fast-tracked going straight to ABP), allowing for increased heights and densities and revised apartment regulations (e.g. number of lift cores, dual aspect ratio, etc.) introduced by Eoghan Murphy are facilitating this increase in construction. I can't see the new government (whatever the make up) doing anything to actually improve things further, they will most likely claim the credit for any improvement coming from what is already happening. Any further market interference will have to be carefully done as it has the potential to damage new construction, in which case supply will never catch up with demand.

The Rebuilding Ireland website contains quarterly updates on Social Housing Construction;

https://rebuildingireland.ie/news/minister-murphy-publishes-social-housing-construction-status-report-for-q3-2019/

The full report lists every housing development and what stage it is at (from Stage 1 Capital Appraisal to Completion). Again, the new government won't actually have a hand in delivering those units but will no doubt be all over any ribbon cutting. Building 100,000 in five years would require doubling the delivery of units each year but any additional units will take a couple of years before they reach construction so realistically you need to be hitting far higher completion rates in years 3, 4 and 5 to hit that target.

I 100% agree with you regarding the next government taking credit for the good work of previous governments and to add also blaming them for all mistakes.

I kind of get what you are saying about Eoghan Murphy’s changes but the increase in building heights has driven up the viability of hotels and office space which is actually driving up labour costs for housing.

I completely disagree with you that the next government won’t be able to do more to improve the situation. There is countless things they could do such as:
    1. Reducing capital gains tax on residential zoned land
    2. Government decentralisation
    3. Actually building large scale housing themselves
    4. Investing in capital infrastructure such as public transport which will encourage development
    5. Dropping VAT on construction materials (look at the effect this had on tourism sector)
    6. Expansion of the local infrastructure housing activation fund
    7. Funding student accommodation in 3rd level institutions
    Etc etc

FG were in power for 9 years and have somehow managed turned a housing surplus into large scale homelessness by their inaction and unwillingness to invest. Any fool could have seen this happening and yet they didn’t react quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Did SF have any ministers for transport in the NI Executive?

Last Stop wrote: »
    FG were in power for 9 years and have somehow managed turned a housing surplus into large scale homelessness by their inaction and unwillingness to invest. Any fool could have seen this happening and yet they didn’t react quick enough.

They didn't do anything because they didn't want to.

Their buddies filled their boots.

Land that was previous deemed unsuitable for housing suddenly was.

Ching ching ching.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

They didn't do anything because they didn't want to.

Their buddies filled their boots.

Land that was previous deemed unsuitable for housing suddenly was.

Ching ching ching.

Personally I think the biggest driver of inaction was the desire to inflate house prices.
    This meant that everyone in negative equity was no longer so and dint forget that property tax is based on the value of the house (on this, the “green” party could have made a proposal to based the property tax on BER ratings...)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Did SF have any ministers for transport in the NI Executive?

They did indeed, Chris Hazzard was previously Minister of Infrastructure, he made the announcement of the NI Greenway network and Pushed to advance the (admittedly fairly advanced already) A6 projects which are now under construction and the A5 project which is still not at shovel phase due to some fairly strong landowner opposition.

Excepting the A6 all his projects have stalled, but I don't think he can be held personally responsible for that given the 3 year hiatus ever since...

• Advertisement

Last Stop wrote: »
    Personally I think the biggest driver of inaction was the desire to inflate house prices.
    This meant that everyone in negative equity was no longer so and dint forget that property tax is based on the value of the house (on this, the “green” party could have made a proposal to based the property tax on BER ratings...)

LPT was originally based on value but houses haven't been revalued to reflect the increase in property values so the income from the tax hasn't increased in line with house prices.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

LPT was originally based on value but houses haven't been revalued to reflect the increase in property values so the income from the tax hasn't increased in line with house prices.

It is based on declared value by the person liable to the tax. Some checks have been carried out, but no determined effort was made to get good valuations.

One way to get realistic values would be to allow local authorities to purchase the properties at the declared values, re-balanced for general shifts in house prices. Or to relate declared values with those declared for house insurance. Or even relate values to floor area, and other features of the property - such as age, features, BER value, etc.

The lowest band is values up to €100k and liable to a tax of €90, and new properties do not pay anything. I think that says it all. It needs review.

It is based on declared value by the person liable to the tax. Some checks have been carried out, but no determined effort was made to get good valuations.

One way to get realistic values would be to allow local authorities to purchase the properties at the declared values, re-balanced for general shifts in house prices. Or to relate declared values with those declared for house insurance. Or even relate values to floor area, and other features of the property - such as age, features, BER value, etc.

The lowest band is values up to €100k and liable to a tax of €90, and new properties do not pay anything. I think that says it all. It needs review.

I was just pointing out that the insinuation that the government wants to inflate house prices because LPT is based on house value is incorrect. If that was the case, values would be reassessed and most people would be paying more LPT.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I was just pointing out that the insinuation that the government wants to inflate house prices because LPT is based on house value is incorrect. If that was the case, values would be reassessed and most people would be paying more LPT.

I think the interest that political parties have in property prices is to safeguard the votes of their supporters that own their own house. They have little regard for the yield of the LPT. If they did, they would have extended to the new houses built over the last 7 years.

As if they were interested in the yield of the LPT, they would have implemented in a better way. On the form I got 90% of it was concerned in ways to pay, and one box was all they needed for the value. No question as to whether the property is a house or apartment, detached or terraced house, or how big it is. Just a value.

Imagine if revenue collected income tax that way. 'How much do you earn? - Oh, is that all - fine!'

I don't think so.

Its such a farce, which is part of the reason, SF proposed scrapping of it, isnt that insane to me... If they introduced it, but it collects and absolute pittance, an irrelevance. What is the point? the below is very interesting on this topic, a recent article by ronan lyons. They should bring in a council tax like the uk and ditch LPT...

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/article38785997.ece

Implement a council tax, E1.50 a day for all adults, no exceptions or reductions etc! that would work out at around two billion, based on 3.5 million aged 18 and over...

I think the interest that political parties have in property prices is to safeguard the votes of their supporters that own their own house. They have little regard for the yield of the LPT.

That is the point I was making.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Its such a farce, which is part of the reason, SF proposed scrapping of it, isnt that insane to me... If they introduced it, but it collects and absolute pittance, an irrelevance. What is the point? the below is very interesting on this topic, a recent article by ronan lyons. They should bring in a council tax like the uk and ditch LPT...

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/article38785997.ece

Implement a council tax, E1.50 a day for all adults, no exceptions or reductions etc! that would work out at around two billion, based on 3.5 million aged 18 and over...

You are proposing a Poll tax.

Ronan Lyons makes a good point - the LPT should be set at about 1% of current value, as is done in other wealthy countries. This would fund local gov so it might actually be able to provide services at a local level.

The poll tax is regressive - hitting the poor most. It was why Thatcher proposed it for the UK, and if the voter did not pay, they were off the voting register thus suppressing the Labour vote.

LPT taxes some who pay no other direct tax. It can be deferred for those elderly who cannot pay.

LPT needs to work - if it raises too much, the Gov could reduce other taxes. (Some chance).

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

Interesting despite all the talk of quality of life as an issue amongst voters especially in the Dublin commuter belt, infrastructure didn’t get a look in as an issue.
    Yup I don’t understand how it is not an issue as it’s something that is directly related to housing. Towns and villages and residential areas formed over the years beside rivers and major links/roads because a successful town needs good transport links in order to allow movement of people.

Naas built 827 new homes in 2019, up from 602 in 2018, according to the national statistics office. This is more than any other area of the country. And yet, the N7 will remain congested, it will be excluded from DART expansion, it receives nothing from BusConnects, the trains are overcrowded (they aren’t even trains designed for commuter journeys cause no forward planning) and Naas also remains with the same terrible bus services it has had for the last two decades. Awful awful planning by the Irish government here.

I see in so many European countries, many far poorer than Ireland, planning way in advance with transport hubs and train stations and bus routes, etc. being installed way in advance of extra housing or apartments. It seems in Ireland we build and fast track thousands of homes and years later conduct feasibility studies after these public facilities are years overdue. (Fine Gael’s favourite activity)

Of course it’s not just transport, it’s healthcare, GPs, school places and so much more. Although I happen to believe that sitting in traffic for hours to move a few kilometres each day just hinders quality of life more than most things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭prunudo

I do wonder about the main issues being health and housing. In the lead up to the election the media were telling us these would be the issues.
    Is it a case of what people hear they then perceive to be their issues.
    Not denying there are problems in both but considering 67% in the country own a house I'm surprised its on most peoples list of problem.

Around me I have an issue with housing, but its not the lack of, its the fact they're are building left right and centre and there is no other infrastructure being built, no extra water treatment, no schools, no creches, no cycle ways, no extra busus, no trains, no roads, no parks and no health services.The list is endless, and yet they contuine to grant planning permission to large developments.

• Advertisement

You are proposing a Poll tax.

Ronan Lyons makes a good point - the LPT should be set at about 1% of current value, as is done in other wealthy countries. This would fund local gov so it might actually be able to provide services at a local level.

The poll tax is regressive - hitting the poor most. It was why Thatcher proposed it for the UK, and if the voter did not pay, they were off the voting register thus suppressing the Labour vote.

LPT taxes some who pay no other direct tax. It can be deferred for those elderly who cannot pay.

LPT needs to work - if it raises too much, the Gov could reduce other taxes. (Some chance).

these "poor" you talk of, would get far less in other countries and pay more. They are one of the prime reasons, that so many hard workers are screwed themselves here. That is exactly what I suggest a poll tax. My gf LPT is E90, they give away E260 most years to everyone on welfare, with the welfare hike. I dont see the point of having an LPT, with the current pittance it generates and the abuse of the system, as lyons points out. obviously those in social housing dont pay it etc. Scrap it, it benefits and rightfully so, those already paying in, far more than they should...

scrapping a property tax, anywhere else would be seen as insanity! but in ireland, the system is insane, introduce it and it becomes a ticking time bomb, being passed around a circle, nobody wants to increase it etc... get rid of it, it bring in 500,000,000 a year, the waste far more than that on budget increases every year

Advertisement