Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I want the best deal for the tax payer is all.
    I don't believe FG do, based on record and policy not because they are FG.

Is it hell. You have a pathological hatred of FG, and in particular Leo Varadkar. You chose your username is some weird hat tip to the fact that his partner is a man. It's weird to be honest.

Whoever wrote that memo is absolutely spot on.

RTE is full of spotty-faced researchers who are clearly left leaning and want to shaft FG at any opportunity.

You're reaching Paddy, and clutching at thin air. The same "left leaning" RTE that didn't include the Sinn Fein leader in tonight's debate, despite SF being only 4% behind FF in latest poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Prime time is a shouting match as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭C__MC

Awful stuff
    Murphy playing it safe here
    Richard boyd barrett talking gibberish
    Fianna fails policy has the economic crash hovering over it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

C__MC wrote: »
    Awful stuff
    Murphy playing it safe here
    Richard boyd barrett talking gibberish
    Fianna fails policy has the economic crash hovering over it

RBB talking about getting building contractors to stop building hotels and luxury student accom to focus on cheap social housing. Asked why they would deliberately make less money, literally no answer. The man is an absolute clown capitalising on the votes of unthinking fist wavers who wear pyjamas in shops.

Educated in St. Michael's College on his wealthy families coin and likely bullied into his current political stance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If ff are the senior party and The entire **** comes crashing down again , I hope you’re happy with yourselves. Masses of people forced to emigrate. Years of budget cuts , doom and gloom , finger pointing. I can see the **** on rte now ! I’ve attacked fg here more than most. But you think I’ll **** my self and the country over to “ show them “ , the only people who will lose out again , will be average joe citizen. That will “ show them “ alright !

Bertie ahern , Kenny etc , they all sailed off with big pensions etc didn’t they ? It’s thorougly depressing having every candidate , every option being a farce !

C__MC wrote: »
    Looking ominous for fine Gael
    Varadkar in all sorts of problems and is under huge pressure going into TV debates. Martin done very well in 11 and 16 during live debates.

Do people see fine Gael overturning the recent opinion polls or is it back to fianna fail and the greens?

I think come polling day , many will vote fg , who had toyed with idea of ff. Ff are now offering nothing to workers and have said as much , unless you are happy to face the prospect of emigrating again as a private sector worker , which lets face it , is quite likely if ff get in. As the welfare vote and public serving vote they crave , will be rewarded at all costs !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I think come polling day , many will vote fg , who had toyed with idea of ff. Ff are now offering nothing to workers and have said as much , unless you are happy to face the prospect of emigrating again as a private sector worker , which lets face it , is quite likely if ff get in. As the welfare vote and public serving vote they crave , will be rewarded at all costs !

Jesus you really change your tune.

All year ranting about the rat in FG now its FF.

Zzzzzzz

Zzzzzzz

I’ll take the varadkar rat , after what ff have been coming out with the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I wouldn't bet on anyone voting anything at this stage but I would also be careful of being overly bullish and confident in how things will go.

As much as FF or any party may not be for workers in a 9 year period FG haven't really been for workers either, for many just that fact alone will mean they will make changes.

I am not wedded to any right now, I have reached out to a few TD's with the things important to me and more than likely will vote for the one that can help me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,251 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Zzzzzzz

In fairness it's only in the last few days FF are putting their cards on the table. He had been tentatively hoping they might be slightly better from his POV but now they are openly saying they will be doing little or nothing on tax cuts they are very much the evil of two lessers for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s anyone but FF for me, at this stage. And SF, of course.

People seem to be blindly following “parties” like they are football teams. Voting for one because their parents did, heard one lad refer to FF as “we” recently. Sad really.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

It’s anyone but FF for me, at this stage. And SF, of course.

People seem to be blindly following “parties” like they are football teams. Voting for one because their parents did, heard one lad refer to FF as “we” recently. Sad really.

I would be very surprised if people under the age of 40 would vote because of how their parents voted.

Especially after the last couple of elections and the support going elsewhere. I would hope people put allot more thought into it than that.

This thread is a gold mine, as you get some not all the party perspectives and who is good and bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,403 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The people who vote FG were always gunna vote FG no matter what. The lip service is gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Is it hell. You have a pathological hatred of FG, and in particular Leo Varadkar. You chose your username is some weird hat tip to the fact that his partner is a man. It's weird to be honest.

Why? And before him Kenny, why? Would it have anything to do with the performance and policies?
    Every single criticism is policy based.
    You quote the tail end of a long policy based discussion.
    You however are resorting to the personal.
    It seems FG will not take criticism for what it is. A trait of the party and its arrogance. The party might learn to be more than a FF protest party if it listened more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A little note on canvassers:

Having observed canvassers out and about in a couple of constituencies one think really struck me:

Fine Gael canvassers typically seem to be positively ancient compared to canvassers from other parties.

Green Party / Soc Dems the youngest and Fianna Fáil & Labour somewhere in between. I'm operating off a low sample size but I'd say it holds true across the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

SF canvassers are the worst in my experience. They lean into the door and kind of tell you to vote SF.
    I know the FG TD and many of her canvassers one is a friend of my aunt. They don't call in.
    FF have never once come around but I get the pamphlets. The Labour canvassers were much better looking...when I was doing it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

That's not true.
    The supply is out of many peoples price range and as shown in your article they are building to rent/lease because...there's a housing crisis and FG are their best customer.

You do realise that once supply matches and exceeds demands, prices drop?
    https://www.britannica.com/topic/supply-and-demand

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

FG all the way here

That is until a proper Conservative party emerges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Why are Soc Dems getting so little traction. Running at 2%. I think if you want real change and the opportunity to make an impact they are the party to get involved in.

Obviously Ellie Kisyombe and to an extent their support of Luas drivers has not put them in a positive light with the public.

But still to only be on 2% with a host of young, fresh and ambitious candidates. They should be doing better.

Anyway, day off work for me today so going to set up a spreadsheet and go through some manifestos for comparative analysis.

In fairness it's only in the last few days FF are putting their cards on the table. He had been tentatively hoping they might be slightly better from his POV but now they are openly saying they will be doing little or nothing on tax cuts they are very much the evil of two lessers for him.

This nails it ! Genuinely blown away by their bs! And I didn’t think that was possible , given it was ff we are talking about. I get berated for my opinion fg are the the least shot of a shot lot ? Here’s my opinion , those of you saying there are actually good or better options are delusional !

pjohnson wrote: »
    The people who vote FG were always gunna vote FG no matter what. The lip service is gas.

No ff with what they have been coming out with the last few days , have made my choice easier though !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

SF canvassers are the worst in my experience. They lean into the door and kind of tell you to vote SF.
    I know the FG TD and many of her canvassers one is a friend of my aunt. They don't call in.
    FF have never once come around but I get the pamphlets. The Labour canvassers were much better looking...when I was doing it ;)

There's alot of very nice people in Fine Gael. I don't understand it. I can't really tell them what I think of the party because they're so sound.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

This nails it ! Genuinely blown away by their bs! And I didn’t think that was possible , given it was ff we are talking about. I get berated for my opinion fg are the the least shot of a shot lot ? Here’s my opinion , those of you saying there are actually good or better options are delusional !

If you think they are all a shot lot why do you intend voting at all? Strikes me that a lot of your rants on here are just hot air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I mean even if you had any kind of affinity to his "policies" how could you take him seriously when he does something like this?

Absolutely nuts , but he could hurt Coppinger there by taking away some votes.

• Advertisement

Must be great to be loaded and bored enough you decide to piss off the leader of the country.

Advertisement