Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2020 - See MOD note in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

You sure did read a lot in to tongue in cheek comments, all of it wrong and ignoring the context but they say people read what they want in to something, it seems like you're being being obutse or looking for an argument at best...

Wait, how many cabinet ministers have fiana fail and how many have fine gael?

Weird you think there wouldn't have been a strong fiana gael vote in Waterford going back a few elections:
    2004: Waterford no.2: first preference for fg: 23.7%
    2009: Waterford city East: fp for fg: 27%
    2014: Waterford City East: fp for fg: 23.4%

Now in 2019, fg only got roughly 10% of the first preference but Shanahan picked up 20%. in my mind thats a strong correlation. He also seems to have got a strong transfer from Fine Gael voters in the general election.

If you want to look at Waterford City in general I think the lowest % of first preference that fg got in any of those elections was 15% but generally speaking fg get 20+ %. If you just do a quick search for each years results you'll be able to see this for yourself, I'm not gonna do a deep dive on this as its pretty fkin boring.

It be quicker if you just admitted you made a few inaccurate points and moved on.

This is a FF led Government, and Matt voted for MM as Taoiseach. FG don't have much support in this part of Waterford and haven't for some time. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭spaceCreated

hardybuck wrote: »
    It be quicker if you just admitted you made a few inaccurate points and moved on.

This is a FF led Government, and Matt voted for MM as Taoiseach. FG don't have much support in this part of Waterford and haven't for some time. End of story.

:confused::confused::confused:
    So you can't read context or count to 6 cabinet minsters for Fine Gael or Finana Fael, get absoloutely destroyed by corrections a quick google search would;ve shown and I've made msitakes :pac::pac::pac:

Keep digging your hole ;););)

:confused::confused::confused:
    So you can't read context or count to 6 cabinet minsters for Fine Gael or Finana Fael, get absoloutely destroyed by corrections a quick google search would;ve shown and I've made msitakes :pac::pac::pac:

Keep digging your hole ;););)

In the same way that you referred to this Government as a FG one?

Are you not counting Dara Calleary? You could probably go either way with that one, as a member of Cabinet he's probably going to be a Minister of State but responsible for the Department of Defence.

In the same way that you referred to this Government as a FG one?

Are you not counting Dara Calleary? You could probably go either way with that one, as a member of Cabinet he's probably going to be a Minister of State but responsible for the Department of Defence.

Sorry no I only counted the reported cabinet minsters which you seem incapable of, I'm sure if anything changes you'll be on here to blow your own horn about it and telle veryone how correct you are and ignore how wrong you are on everything else. And it surely is a FG government if all the FIne Gael TDs are in it.:pac::pac::pac:

Sorry no I only counted the reported cabinet minsters which you seem incapable of, I'm sure if anything changes you'll be on here to blow your own horn about it and telle veryone how correct you are and ignore how wrong you are on everything else. And it surely is a FG government if all the FIne Gael TDs are in it.:pac::pac::pac:

Sorry I'll clarify in the same way you did then - Dara, in being listed among the Cabinet appointees yesterday will be a Minister that attends Cabinet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭JimWinters

As bad as voting for this government might seem, Shanahan wouldn’t even get talking time with the govt if he didn’t vote for it.

He’s been vocal on 24/7 since being elected but people seem to expect him to get it done straight away. No matter what he does the Facebook massive will say it’s the wrong thing. He’s damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t! Why would anyone want to represent Waterford? It’s a completely thankless job. Also, what about Mark? He was negotiating the PfG for the greens and got nothing in there for Waterford. He’ll have to work very hard to have any chance to be re-elected.

And the end of the day, SF were never going to be in government this time around. We got what we voted for which was to have little or no representation in government... Play stupid games, win stupid prize! Waterford could be out in the cold for another 5 years and we only have ourselves to blame (doubt this govt will last that long though)

I think it could easily be a decade before Waterford gets another Minister. I don't see any among the current crop.

Sorry I'll clarify in the same way you did then - Dara, in being listed among the Cabinet appointees yesterday will be a Minister that attends Cabinet.

Oh could you point out to me where he has been appointed cabinet minister? I'm only going by the reports made by every media outlet, radio stations and the like. Like when someone says a Cabinet minister it means a Senior minister with a senior portfolio that attends the cabinet which is what people count as a cabinet minister unless you're on about him junior ministers. But hey I'm sure you're right and everyone else is wrong, and you're definitely not backpedaling and trying to redefine what a cabinet minster is :rolleyes::pac::pac::pac:

Edit: envermind I got that wrong I'll be the bigger man and admit my mistake, unlike you can :D

Oh could you point out to me where he has been appointed cabinet minister? I'm only going by the reports made by every media outlet, radio stations and the like. Like when someone says a Cabinet minister it means a Senior minister with a senior portfolio that attends the cabinet which is what people count as a cabinet minister unless you're on about him junior ministers. But hey I'm sure you're right and everyone else is wrong, and you're definitely not backpedaling and trying to redefine what a cabinet minster is :rolleyes::pac::pac::pac:

Could you point out to me where Matt Shanahan voted for a FG Government?

Perhaps we could both could have been clearer in what we meant.

Ministers of State don't typically attend Cabinet by the way - but you probably knew that already.

The one in which all the Fine Gael TDs are part of... and that Varadkar will be Taoiaseach of???? :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

The one in which all the Fine Gael TDs are part of... and that Varadkar will be Taoiaseach of???? :pac::pac::pac:

If you could show me anything where this Government is referred to as a FG Government I'll take your point.

On the point about Shanahan, and I'm not trying to be confrontational in asking this, but why would you think he supported FG rather than FF? Or supported neither but just wanted to be generally supportive of Government?

If you could show me anything where this Government is referred to as a FG Government I'll take your point.

On the point about Shanahan, and I'm not trying to be confrontational in asking this, but why would you think he supported FG rather than FF? Or supported neither but just wanted to be generally supportive of Government?

It was a tongue in cheek comment tbh, but I genuinely think he has a base of what would have been traditionally fina gael voters who will be be happy that fine gael are in government but can see their vote as a protest one against the other candidates and fine gael at the same time.

It was a tongue in cheek comment tbh, but I genuinely think he has a base of what would have been traditionally fina gael voters who will be be happy that fine gael are in government but can see their vote as a protest one against the other candidates and fine gael at the same time.

I think I understand the demographic you're referring to, but I don't think they're FG voters.

They may have voted FG at some stage in their lives, but FG power base is in mid county and Deasy country around Dungarvan. Waterford City is FF, working class parties and independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Ministers of State don't typically attend Cabinet by the way - but you probably knew that already.

You're being difficult. Are FG are the second biggest partner in this coalition if you haven't realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Mary Butler tipped for minister of state.
    A bad day for Waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 39,501 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Would have thought the elderly have already been through enough this year with Covid19 without having that too.

She will lose her seat now if she fails to deliver 24/7 cardiac care

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Gael23 wrote: »
    She will lose her seat now if she fails to deliver 24/7 cardiac care
    Only if they run a more popular FF candidate in Waterford as well. She'll be fine in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Ms Butler will be the minister for making tea and knitting in every OAP home in the county from now on. She will secure the grey vote forever from now on...providing some form of 24/7 plus second cath lab is delivered quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I’d say the Mental Health side of it will be more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Roanmore wrote:
    I’d say the Mental Health side of it will be more important.

It is more important, but will anything actually change there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A quick reminder of our representations

A FF hack - this is as good as it'll get for Mary Butler
    An independent - this could be one and only term
    A fresh Green - this could be one and only term
    David Cullinane - the only experienced one of the four, some potential within Sinn Fein but who are in opposition

If Waterford is going to build out of it's political trough it needs TD's who have something to build on and of that quartet right now only Cullinane looks like he'll be around long enough to become a (mid) heavyweight. The rest could well be swept away next time out and we start again :(

A quick reminder of our representations

A FF hack - this is as good as it'll get for Mary Butler
    An independent - this could be one and only term
    A fresh Green - this could be one and only term
    David Cullinane - the only experienced one of the four, some potential within Sinn Fein but who are in opposition

If Waterford is going to build out of it's political trough it needs TD's who have something to build on and of that quartet right now only Cullinane looks like he'll be around long enough to become a (mid) heavyweight. The rest could well be swept away next time out and we start again :(

Hopefully they are all swept off the map. Particularly Butler and that Green guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Hopefully they are all swept off the map. Particularly Butler and that Green guy

Who would you like our 4tds to be instead?

The irony of Mary Butler being a minister for mental health given the "insensitivity" (to put it lightly) shown in her campaign and choice of constituency office should be funny but will never be given the serious nature of the role.

I think Marc has his heart in the right place, and hes not an idiot either, just the greens don't give a sh*t about Waterford, I'm still waiting to see what other party does though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I think Marc has his heart in the right place, and hes not an idiot either, just the greens don't give a sh*t about Waterford, I'm still waiting to see what other party does though.

Greens only give a **** about Dublin it seems to me. Run by middle class Dub posh boys like Eamonn Ryan and Ossian Smyth

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

The irony of Mary Butler being a minister for mental health given the "insensitivity" (to put it lightly) shown in her campaign and choice of constituency office should be funny but will never be given the serious nature of the role.

She was talking on the radio today about her two mobile phones, not a peep about the two facebook accounts, one her own and the one made for her for her work......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I spoke to him when he canvassed, I work in Cork, told him that diesel was essential for me. I said that I agreed diesels for town driving was crazy.
    At the end of the discussion he told me he had a diesel which he only used for town driving.
    Suppose he’ll be getting better use out of it now driving up to Dublin

Advertisement