Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,150 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Now that he is blaming the W.H.O.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1247540701291638787?s=19

Best look back to Feb when he said this...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1232058127740174339?s=19

Always looking for a scapegoat. Always contradicting himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

If last night was anything to go by, along with these tweets, we're in for a treat tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

“I’ve always known this is a real—this is a pandemic. I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic,” 17th March.

Now the WHO is added to the Blame list? Now latching onto the only positive thing he did to counter this ie. China travel ban.

Threatening to defund the WHO now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

everlast75 wrote: »

This may actually be his biggest blame mistake.. Why? Because the WHO relies, not on feelings nor on beliefs, but on DATA.

Now, on the one hand, they may well have relied unduly on the bona fides of Chinese Govt stats on infection and death rates in Wuhan and elsewhere (a valid concern IMO). HOWEVER, the WHO (albeit based on possibly under-reported case numbers) PROVIDED chilling assessments in January, repeated by CIA and other US Intelligence sources, INCLUDING Navarro, and EVERYONE was ignored by POTUS.

Taking on the WHO is fair game. Asking them to explain and account for their advisories and action is fine. BUT, BLAMING them for 4-6 weeks of inaction and outright DENIAL by the White House simply cannot stand. And the WHO wont let it stand. No other organisation is in a better position to research every statement by Trump and his officials that have undermined WHO efforts and led to this debacle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't think it's a bad thing to at least question the WHO. It seems to me they are hardly ever questioned or held to account. I think that's something that should change.

In the same way we have NGO's in this country. Why do we consider them the last word on whatever area they're involved in. They should be questioned on their pronouncements, and not so revered that they can't be questioned or contradicted.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't think it's a bad thing to at least question the WHO. It seems to me they are hardly ever questioned or held to account. I think that's something that should change.

In the same way we have NGO's in this country. Why do we consider them the last word on whatever area they're involved in. They should be questioned on their pronouncements, and not so revered that they can't be questioned or contradicted.

Then he should question them rather than ranting and raving!

AllForIt wrote: »

I have no problem at all with QUESTIONING and exercising OVERSIGHT on the W.H.O.

I DO have a problem with a narcissistic snake oil salesman, whose back is to the wall because of HIS OWN abject FAILURE as a leader, trying to pass on blame for HIS GROSS FAILINGS to the W.H.O. with NO EVIDENCE whatsoever.

A DREADFUL statistic out of Chicago tonight..

Mayor Lori Lightfoot comments on the fact that, so far, while Chicago has only a 30% black population, they account for some 72% of all Covid deaths in Chicago.

Think about that, Mr Trump!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    A DREADFUL statistic out of Chicago tonight..

Mayor Lori Lightfoot comments on the fact that, so far, while Chicago has only a 30% black population, they account for some 72% of all Covid deaths in Chicago.

Think about that, Mr Trump!

Did he not mention that himself in the press briefing?

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    Did he not mention that himself in the press briefing?

I didn't hear him referencing Chicago. What was his take?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,081 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm sure he is thinking about that, and I'd probably get in trouble for saying what I imagine he is thinking.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I didn't hear him referencing Chicago. What was his take?

Not sure if he mentioned Chicago specifically, but he did mention that African Americans were suffering disproportionately.

kowloon wrote: »
    Not sure if he mentioned Chicago specifically, but he did mention that African Americans were suffering disproportionately.

Yeah. He heard the question and did say he "would have to check it out".

Has anyone ever counted up all the things he has to go and check out, because I would say that we're waiting on quite a few answers at this stage?

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1247737221911896064?s=19

I think i figured out why trump is so impulsive. It's because if he thinks about anything for more than 3 seconds he forgets what he said and ends up contradicting himself

valoren wrote: »
    Now the WHO is added to the Blame list?

Hopefully people won't get fooled again come November...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think i figured out why trump is so impulsive. It's because if he thinks about anything for more than 3 seconds he forgets what he said and ends up contradicting himself

American society is to blame entirely for this .

Yes Trump is who trump is, but has always been thus.

All those middle ground voters that put this man into office that's America right there. A broken uneducated society where being visible on TV comes above all else . Money and fame strong opinion drivers . And substance doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

"They called it wrong. They missed the call. They could have called it months earlier," Trump said.

Glad to see he's still projecting.

Saying they were going to put a hold on funding for the WHO is the equivalent of that scene in the Simpsons episode Bart's Comet where after the threat is over Moe declares "Let's go burn down the Observatory so this'll never happen again!".

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

listermint wrote: »
    American society is to blame entirely for this .

Yes Trump is who trump is, but has always been thus.

All those middle ground voters that put this man into office that's America right there. A broken uneducated society where being visible on TV comes above all else . Money and fame strong opinion drivers . And substance doesn't matter.

And yet we elect the same types of officials to power here, with a rose of tralee candidate, a boxer, politicians children, etc
    It's not just a US thing unfortunately.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,236 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He is a compulsive liar.

Even with concrete evidence to the contrary he will deny reality.

Walter mitty would be astounded by his ability to deny reality.

• Advertisement

So your basically saying he's a goldfish, might explain the orange perhaps if true.

Sorry I know it's a serious topic but it gave me a chuckle which is needed at times like this.

Triangle wrote: »
    And yet we elect the same types of officials to power here, with a rose of tralee candidate, a boxer, politicians children, etc

Thankfully we do not have a presidential system of government here, where one person holds so much power.

We have a parliamentary system where, at least, the ability of stupid people to "fcuk up" doesn't do so much damage.

Trumps words and actions cost American lives.

This president has now presided on over four times the amount of deaths that 9/11 caused. He cannot wash his hands on this no matter how much he thinks he can. (pardon the pun)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I have no issue with him criticising WHO's response. From what I gather, when the US stopped incoming travel from China WHO said it wasn't necessary (when it hindsight it was needed much sooner). I have no issue with that.

But a) reducing WHO's funding would make things like this more likely than not, limit the flow of information and unified responses to any future similar events, and b) he's simply trying to shift all blame away from himself and his administration's disastrous response. They may have been right to close down travel from China before WHO's recommendations, but they knew of the possibility of the pandemic weeks before that, and after shutting down travel did next to nothing for 6-7 weeks while Trump crowed about how it wasn't an issue and was totally under control and how great the stock market would be if the Democrats and fake news media weren't trying to hurt his re-election campaign by pointing out the virus was spreading and would result in hundreds of thousands of deaths.

That's on Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Triangle wrote: »

Comparing out political system, its makeup and the governance of same to the US is laughable. Id seriously question your knowledge on both if the above commentary is what you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I just hope when this is all over Trump is nailed to the wall for being responsible for the deaths of thousands of Americans.

He gets off so lightly for being an absolutely terrible leader. If Obama or any democrat president acted like him, they would probably be in jail at this stage. We are all so used to him being a flat out liar, a danger to professionals who try to provide stability to the country and a master at blaming everybody else but himself.

It’s funny people talk about not being able to trust WHO, they are a more reliable source then anything Trump says.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Penn wrote: »
    I have no issue with him criticising WHO's response. From what I gather, when the US stopped incoming travel from China WHO said it wasn't necessary (when it hindsight it was needed much sooner). I have no issue with that.

But a) reducing WHO's funding would make things like this more likely than not, limit the flow of information and unified responses to any future similar events, and b) he's simply trying to shift all blame away from himself and his administration's disastrous response. They may have been right to close down travel from China before WHO's recommendations, but they knew of the possibility of the pandemic weeks before that, and after shutting down travel did next to nothing for 6-7 weeks while Trump crowed about how it wasn't an issue and was totally under control and how great the stock market would be if the Democrats and fake news media weren't trying to hurt his re-election campaign by pointing out the virus was spreading and would result in hundreds of thousands of deaths.

That's on Trump.

Thing is, that's all Trump knows. Money, the possession of it - or lack thereof. It's the only card he can play. He only knows how to cajole, bully or swagger his way through a problem and he's such a colossally petty man, his only recourse is to threaten the one apolitical institution that might otherwise be on his side. Analysis of the WHO's response is needed - and will be conducted for sure because the fallout from this will be a wakeup call to modern civilisation's brittleness - but that's not where Trump's head is at. He desperately needs attention and adoration. Were he not in such a position of power and influence, he'd cut a pathetic, pitiable character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Penn wrote: »

That's on Trump.

See that's more lies and passing the buck. As far as I'm aware WHO never said travel restrictions were not necessary. All articles from that time said that WHO never gave any recommendations about travel restrictions.

Saying there's no need for travel restrictions is totally different from not saying anything about it and leaving it up to individual states to decide. Countries were however reporting their travel restrictions to WHO.

It's just another case of blaming someone else for a job the Trump should have done.

Also didn't help that he apparently pulled American researchers from the WHO team working on Asian disease outbreaks.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I just hope when this is all over Trump is nailed to the wall for being responsible for the deaths of thousands of Americans.

He gets off so lightly for being an absolutely terrible leader. If Obama or any democrat president acted like him, they would probably be in jail at this stage. We are all so used to him being a flat out liar, a danger to professionals who try to provide stability to the country and a master at blaming everybody else but himself.

It’s funny people talk about not being able to trust WHO, they are a more reliable source then anything Trump says.

The very worrying thing is, this crisis has made absolutely no difference to the betting odds for the Nov elections. He's been a steady 10/11 all the way through this

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The very worrying thing is, this crisis has made absolutely no difference to the betting odds for the Nov elections. He's been a steady 10/11 all the way through this

Biden has had his own issues surface. Its such a stupid system that there's only two viable candidates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

sydthebeat wrote: »

Yeh, he’s prob 50/50 with Biden.

I think a lot of Americans can identify with his confused handling of the crisis. The simple sales/business language he uses resonates with them.

I think he’s such a corrupt person he’d fake himself getting it just to get re-elected. You can’t put anything past him. The only reason he might not go down that avenue is not because it’s wrong, but because he may not want to look weak.

I could also see him potentially moving elections if it doesn’t look good for him around October. You can rule out nothing with this person

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement