Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi ads

Options

Comments

noodler wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense.

It's all excellent.

It’s not. It’s grand like, but it’s not the same quality. The veg wouldn’t be as good either, but there’s not as big a gap in it.
    A lot of their packaged stuff is as good if not better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,318 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It’s not. It’s grand like, but it’s not the same quality. The veg wouldn’t be as good either, but there’s not as big a gap in it.
    A lot of their packaged stuff is as good if not better though.

Packaged meat?

All their stuff is packaged (maybe you mean the veg only in this specific instance).

The mince is fine but mince is mince unless you want the expensive stiff which they do sell.

Their chicken fillets are far fresher and a better size than the slimey yokes my local SV sells.

The steaks are class.

I dunno what youve tried or what makes you feel SV is some sort of standard bearer bit it sounds like an attitude from a decade ago when some people actually thought their meat was from Germany.

noodler wrote: »
    Packaged meat?

All their stuff is packaged (maybe you mean the veg only in this specific instance).

The mince is fine but mince is mince unless you want the expensive stiff which they do sell.

Their chicken fillets are far fresher and a better size than the slimey yokes my local SV sells.

The steaks are class.

I dunno what youve tried or what makes you feel SV is some sort of standard bearer bit it sounds like an attitude from a decade ago when some people actually thought their meat was from Germany.

No, packaged stuff like cereals, biscuits, snacks, sweets, freezer, etc. I know their meat isn’t loose on the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

dobman88 wrote: »
    Funnily enough there have been loads of complaints about this ad because of what they say about Meath people being tight with money at the end. The couple in the ad are from Cavan.

It's a lifelong joke between Meath and Cavan people about the other county being tight. Mist be some very easily offended people in Meath :pac:

Well, a Cavan person thinking someone is tight is a low slur; I can't think of anything worse, to be honest.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭Xterminator

meat in aldi/lidl is superior to tesco/dunnes and comparable with supervalu.

one example, my missus used to only eat sausages from superquinn/SV, then we tried the hand tied ones in lidl and loved them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

A close relative of mine works in a meat factory, worked there myself years ago packing meat etc the same meat that went to Aldi also went to Supervalue

PsychoPete wrote: »
    A close relative of mine works in a meat factory, worked there myself years ago packing meat etc the same meat that went to Aldi also went to Supervalue

Not where I work. Same machinery, same basic packaging apart from branding, but SV pay for higher quality meat and check regularly that they are getting it too.
    That said, I’d be more than happy to eat Aldi or Lidl’s when doing a whole shop and only have to go to the one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

OmegaGene wrote: »
    For starters there are 2 adults and 3 children lol

A family of 5 could certainly save this making cut backs and ditching branded products for unbranded, a certain member of my family was blowing €400 a week in Dunnes and when money was tight due to a change of circumstances they went to aldi/Lidl and dropped to €200 a week

God bless your eyesight, i never spotted the baby, in fairness its only in the first shot. :-)

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Aldi/lidl steaks that come in the cardboard boxes are the best steaks out of any supermarket by an absolute mile, and believe me I've tried them all.

In my own personal experience I find Tesco to be the worst place to shop for both meat and veg, the stuff is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

We always shop in Aldi and find their stuff great quality and reasonably priced. We had a baby a few weeks ago and I didn't have the time for the 40 minute round trip to Aldi so I went into my local Tesco to do a weekly shop. I was shocked at the difference in the prices. Every item I got was 50c-€3 dearer with no noticeably increase in quality. When you are buying 60+ items those price differences quickly add up. Back to Aldi for us!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Shelflife wrote: »
    But its not clear, thats my point.

They claim that by shopping in aldi they make these savings, they never mention anything about changing from branded products to own brand products.

The advert and aldis own website for the adverts only show aldi branded products.

The advert is fine, they are buying like for like products. Jam in aldi, jam in the other supermarket etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭numbernine

Same with Okey Dokey's and Hunky Dory's same product made on same production lines.

When the j-o oreo type biscuits came out, we got a pack and the biscuits inside were branded oreo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

awec wrote: »
    I shop in Aldi and Lidl every single week.

They sell some major brands (e.g. Heinz Ketchup, Barry's tea), but the overwhelming majority of the products are not the main brands you find in other supermarkets. As I said, it would be impossible to do the exact same shop in Aldi that you do in Tesco, you would have to substitute almost everything for own-brand equivalents.
    No, packaged stuff like cereals, biscuits, snacks, sweets, freezer, etc. I know their meat isn’t loose on the shelves.

Yeah, you're both definitely right. The "Kellogs Corn Flakes" I buy in Aldi tick all the boxes: not a major brand; misrepresented; and inferior. And don't get me started on their "Hunky Dorys". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I often hear this, but is there any examples of common products for this? Or ones that has a bit of proof

I posted this a month ago because I'd genuinely never came across two differently labelled products being the same

But this evening, I had some quadruple chocolate cookies from Aldi that are the exact same as used to be Tesco Finest

Actually semi pleased to come across this because part of me thought it's all just an urban myth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

L1011 wrote: »
    Its nearly entirely made up of changes from name brand to value line own brand swaps - the actual sample receipts should be available somewhere for the quoted figures.

That's one of two ways switching to ALDI/LIDL reduce your weekly shop.

In addition to the swich to own Brand products, ALDI/LIDL have a smaller range of products, and you end up buys less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I posted this a month ago because I'd genuinely never came across two differently labelled products being the same

But this evening, I had some quadruple chocolate cookies from Aldi that are the exact same as used to be Tesco Finest

Actually semi pleased to come across this because part of me thought it's all just an urban myth

I used to work in a jelly factory. Was one of the first jobs I had after leaving school. My jaw dropped when instead of changing the sweets when switching brands we just changed the packaging. I'd say lots of other products are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I have noticed this aswell as to how a family could save euro482 a month. I have emailed aldi to ask them how much did they have to spend to save 482. It seems like a crazy amount of money. They fobbed me off and did not answer the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

It is an urban myth. There may be a handful of cases where the same product is sold under different names but they are owned by or produced for the same parent company.

Shops cannot afford to have their own factories so buy production slots in factories dedicated to sticking stuff in tins, baking biscuits, making sandwiches etc.

Sandwiches are a good example as it was featured on BBC2 recently.

This factory makes sandwiches for M&S, Aldi, ASDA, Tesco etc. They have a dedicated line for prawn sandwiches (allergens etc).

Everything from the bread, butter, prawns & packaging is supplied to the factory by the shop from the shops own dedicated suppliers.

Say M&S need prawn sandwiches. They phone the factory and book a slot, say 10am-12pm every Tue and Thur.

Just before t 10am the machine (which may have just run through a batch of prawn sandwiches for Lidl) will be shut down, cleaned and re-calibrated to take the M&S ingredients and packaging that have just arrived on a truck minutes before. (Known as "just in time" in manufacturing)

They run through that batch and at 12pm the machine will be cleaned again and set up for say ASDA. and so on.

Its the same for the majority of own brand products.

When you see product recalls for multiple brands of product it is not usually because they have the same ingredients, it is because the were packaged on the same machine that has had an undetected fault.
    Wesser wrote: »
    I have noticed this aswell as to how a family could save euro482 a month. I have emailed aldi to ask them how much did they have to spend to save 482. It seems like a crazy amount of money. They fobbed me off and did not answer the question.

Lidl had a bit on there website (https://www.lidl.ie/the-big-save-terms) explaining how they came to this figure. It was always Lidl vs the most expensive equivalent in Tesco, Supervalu etc. The price comparison claims made by Lidl and Aldi have got them into hot water in the UK on more than one occasion as it is blatant false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

prinzeugen wrote: »
    It is an urban myth. There may be a handful of cases where the same product is sold under different names but they are owned by or produced for the same parent company.

Shops cannot afford to have their own factories so buy production slots in factories dedicated to sticking stuff in tins, baking biscuits, making sandwiches etc.

Sandwiches are a good example as it was featured on BBC2 recently.

This factory makes sandwiches for M&S, Aldi, ASDA, Tesco etc. They have a dedicated line for prawn sandwiches (allergens etc).

Everything from the bread, butter, prawns & packaging is supplied to the factory by the shop from the shops own dedicated suppliers.

Say M&S need prawn sandwiches. They phone the factory and book a slot, say 10am-12pm every Tue and Thur.

Just before t 10am the machine (which may have just run through a batch of prawn sandwiches for Lidl) will be shut down, cleaned and re-calibrated to take the M&S ingredients and packaging that have just arrived on a truck minutes before. (Known as "just in time" in manufacturing)

They run through that batch and at 12pm the machine will be cleaned again and set up for say ASDA. and so on.

Its the same for the majority of own brand products.

When you see product recalls for multiple brands of product it is not usually because they have the same ingredients, it is because the were packaged on the same machine that has had an undetected fault.

Lidl had a bit on there website (https://www.lidl.ie/the-big-save-terms) explaining how they came to this figure. It was always Lidl vs the most expensive equivalent in Tesco, Supervalu etc. The price comparison claims made by Lidl and Aldi have got them into hot water in the UK on more than one occasion as it is blatant false advertising.

Aldi and Lidl sandwiches i Ireland are not made with factory slots. I haven't seen the BBC piece on it, but it doesn't happen here.

A tender is announced and the suppliers (sandwiches factories) go for it.

That's it.

There is no "we supply you with ingredients you make sandwiches" factory slots here.

And I actually never heard of these factory slots thing, but must be logistics nightmare.

Not to mention quality and supply issues down the line.

I've been in three separate factories, that produced three different products (one was Milk, one was cleaning sponges, and one was pre-made salads).

In every instance, the products that were own-brand, and the products that were the factory brand, were made differently. The differences weren't in the ingredients themselves, but in the amount of each ingredient used. Tesco milk is more watered down than Avonmores, and the process to make Avonmore's bottles sealed airtight is different on tesco's so the milk won't last as long, for example.

I presume this is the same with the vast majority of products out there.

Now, as someone who alternates between tesco and avonmore milk, i can't tell the difference, but nonetheless, i know there is one.

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »
    Aldi and Lidl sandwiches i Ireland are not made with factory slots. I haven't seen the BBC piece on it, but it doesn't happen here.

A tender is announced and the suppliers (sandwiches factories) go for it.

That's it.

There is no "we supply you with ingredients you make sandwiches" factory slots here.

And I actually never heard of these factory slots thing, but must be logistics nightmare.

Not to mention quality and supply issues down the line.

It does happen here. The logistics are well worked out and simple enough.

M&S say to their suppliers - I need x amount of bread, x amount of butter etc to be supplied to Joe Bloggs sandwich factory for 9.30am every Tue and Thur. Its simple. A similar process is used for fresh veg.

Its why shops can specify their own design/form of packaging... They are responsible for supplying it.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    It does happen here. The logistics are well worked out and simple enough.

M&S say to their suppliers - I need x amount of bread, x amount of butter etc to be supplied to Joe Bloggs sandwich factory for 9.30am every Tue and Thur. Its simple. A similar process is used for fresh veg.

Its why shops can specify their own design/form of packaging... They are responsible for supplying it.

Supplying packaging and supplying very large amount of ingredients by supermarket chains on daily basis are two different things.

I am not saying it doesn't happen here, but it definitely doesn't with those two I mentioned. Logistical nightmare for them it would be.

Not worth it when you can just order sandwiches rather than 20 ingredients to be sent to their supplier to make sandwiches for them, then deliver to their hub and send out to their stores.

I work in this area and can assure you it would be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭travist

I find a lot of Lidl packaging is not generally recyclable. That may help them produce products for less I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Wheety wrote: »
    In the ads I've seen, the Tesco trolley is full of branded goods and the Aldi one is own brand stuff.

It's not a direct comparison and I'm surprised they're allowed to continue.

Aldi brand is as nice if not better than a lot of the branded stuff for 3 times the price.

Aldi brand is as nice if not better than a lot of the branded stuff for 3 times the price.

Just not the everyday essentials or something.

These were brutal, not sure if they still have them.

Same with Tesco value.

So while the general stuff is OK and in par, some are brutal and nowhere near the original brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I switched to Aldi mainly for their gluten free range, which is lovely and far cheaper than other supermarkets. Bread is two euro a loaf cheaper than Supervalu and the biscuits likewise. The savings soon add up.

Supplying packaging and supplying very large amount of ingredients by supermarket chains on daily basis are two different things.

I am not saying it doesn't happen here, but it definitely doesn't with those two I mentioned. Logistical nightmare for them it would be.

Not worth it when you can just order sandwiches rather than 20 ingredients to be sent to their supplier to make sandwiches for them, then deliver to their hub and send out to their stores.

I work in this area and can assure you it would be a nightmare.

It is how it is done though! Pardon the pun, but you must not be high enough up the food chain to know!

Some if not all all the stuff comes pre-mixed. That is processed in another factory. Supermarkets employ almost as many buyers as they do shelf stackers. Everything is traceable. They have exclusive contracts with small cheese makers etc.

As I said it is the supermarket, NOT the factory that buys the ingredients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Just not the everyday essentials or something.

These were brutal, not sure if they still have them.

Same with Tesco value.

So while the general stuff is OK and in par, some are brutal and nowhere near the original brand.

Id disagree. Pasta, pasta sauces, cereals, youghurts, wines ,rashers, sausages and puddings are as good as branded types.
    Im not mad about fruit in aldi but i think thats the same in every supermarket.

Id disagree. Pasta, pasta sauces, cereals, youghurts, wines ,rashers, sausages and puddings are as good as branded types.
    Im not mad about fruit in aldi but i think thats the same in every supermarket.

By everyday essentials I meant the brand, like Tesco value etc. Sorry wasn't clear enough.

• Advertisement

I find it very very hard to believe that there is a family out there that have never shopped in AlDI or LIDL, I dont believe this at all

Advertisement