Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi ads

Options
  • 03-01-2020 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place but wanted a reasonable discussion.

The current Aldi ad features a family of 4 from Cavan. They claim to have saved €485 over a four week period, thats €120 per week.

How do a family of 4 manage to save that much money every week ?

If they are changing from fillet steak to mince or champagne to sparkling water I could understand it but not on a basic weekly shop. Maybe if your weekly shop was huge and you were buying a load of crap with your basic needs you could make those savings but it simply doesnt add up for me.

Should they be made to show how these savings are made ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its very easy save a small fortune,
    If you say shop in Tesco or Supervalue and buy branded products your shopping bill will be insane.
    The savings occur when you switch to Aldi and buy Aldi non-branded products instead of the branded. Its easy make savings that way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

But youre not comparing like with like.

If I buy Coca cola and kelloggs and say chivers jam in Tesco and then swap to aldis own brand theyre simply not the same product.

Its a bit like swapping fillet steak for mince, yes they are both beef and both will fill your belly but you really cant say youve saved as a result of buying it in aldi, you would make the similar savings if you changed to Tesco or Supervalu own brand products.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

You don't even have to go to Aldi. Just switch to own-brand everything -If you were stupid enough to only be buying brands before ... and intentionally avoiding 2 for 1 offers.

e.g.
    Dolmio Bolognese Original Pasta Sauce 500G €1.99
    Tesco Bolognese Pasta Sauce Jar 500G €0.53
    Saving: €1.46

• Registered Users Posts: 68,282 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its nearly entirely made up of changes from name brand to value line own brand swaps - the actual sample receipts should be available somewhere for the quoted figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Since when has it been required for customers that post a testimonial to provide receipts etc to evidence their testimonial? these stories are like feedback on tripadvisor for restaurants etc. take with a pinch of salt.

It is clear that they are customers swopping branded goods for unbranded. And the savings are very much in line with what you would save in that case.

• Advertisement

Since when has it been required for customers that post a testimonial to provide receipts etc to evidence their testimonial? these stories are like feedback on tripadvisor for restaurants etc. take with a pinch of salt.

It is clear that they are customers swopping branded goods for unbranded. And the savings are very much in line with what you would save in that case.

When making a very specific price claim in these ads the retailer that paid for it (these testimonials aren't free!) will have obtained proof as defence if challenged by a rival

But its not clear, thats my point.

They claim that by shopping in aldi they make these savings, they never mention anything about changing from branded products to own brand products.

• Administrators Posts: 53,570 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Shelflife wrote: »

They claim that by shopping in aldi they make these savings, they never mention anything about changing from branded products to own brand products.

Given that Aldi (and Lidl) stock very few branded products (and I think everyone knows this at this stage) it's pretty clear and obvious IMO.

Doing the exact same shop in Aldi and Tesco would be impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,828 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If I buy Coca cola and kelloggs and say chivers jam in Tesco and then swap to aldis own brand theyre simply not the same product.

Very often they are exact same stuff, with different labels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

antix80 wrote: »
    You don't even have to go to Aldi. Just switch to own-brand everything -If you were stupid enough to only be buying brands before ... and intentionally avoiding 2 for 1 offers.

e.g.
    Dolmio Bolognese Original Pasta Sauce 500G €1.99
    Tesco Bolognese Pasta Sauce Jar 500G €0.53
    Saving: €1.46

We shop in Aldi. Switching to Tesco own brand is rotten. The Tesco finest range is generally ok but closes in on the branded stuff in price. Aldi range is lower priced and very good. Even stuff like jam is actually really good quality in Aldi but priced closer to Tesco own brand kack.

We shop for 4 people for the week, meat included and not just mince and rarely hit €100 In Aldi. We gave up on Tesco when the weekly shop was hitting €160 and we still had to go to the butchers because quite a lot of the meat is rubbish. Too much fat in mince, too much water in chicken breasts is one example.

Yougarts are another simple saving. Aldi's range is 39c a pot and beautiful. Lemon and lime, strawberry etc. Avoid the toffee. Breakfast cereal is cheap as chips and nothing like the own brand crap in any other stores.

Each change, all adds up to a considerable saving. Been going to Aldi for 3 years now and wouldn't return to Tesco or Dunnes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭skinny90

Not sure if this is the right place but wanted a reasonable discussion.

The current Aldi ad features a family of 4 from Cavan. They claim to have saved €485 over a four week period, thats €120 per week.

How do a family of 4 manage to save that much money every week ?

If they are changing from fillet steak to mince or champagne to sparkling water I could understand it but not on a basic weekly shop. Maybe if your weekly shop was huge and you were buying a load of crap with your basic needs you could make those savings but it simply doesnt add up for me.

Should they be made to show how these savings are made ?

Not sure why there needs to be a thread on this I don’t see the issue. It’s how the marketers are presenting the ad. If they want to pull these facts out and advertise them on tv they need to have a sound basis of where they’re getting their figures...it’s all very well regulated and a company like aldi won’t put themselves under unneeded cosh over wishy washy figures pulled out of thin air

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its very easy save a small fortune,
    If you say shop in Tesco or Supervalue and buy branded products your shopping bill will be insane.
    The savings occur when you switch to Aldi and buy Aldi non-branded products instead of the branded. Its easy make savings that way

120 quid a weeks worth of savings? They’d want to be shopping for 7 in M&S for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,432 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don’t know where they find these families who had never considered buying cheaper alternatives to the most expensive products.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

awec wrote: »
    Given that Aldi (and Lidl) stock very few branded products (and I think everyone knows this at this stage) it's pretty clear and obvious IMO.

Doing the exact same shop in Aldi and Tesco would be impossible.

When last were you in a Lidl or Aldi?

They both stock a variety of major brands.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Very often they are exact same stuff, with different labels.

I often hear this, but is there any examples of common products for this? Or ones that has a bit of proof

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

Funnily enough there have been loads of complaints about this ad because of what they say about Meath people being tight with money at the end. The couple in the ad are from Cavan.

It's a lifelong joke between Meath and Cavan people about the other county being tight. Mist be some very easily offended people in Meath :pac:

I often hear this, but is there any examples of common products for this? Or ones that has a bit of proof

Do you ever wonder where all these new factories are that produce cheaper versions of well known products?

Usually it's the same factory selling the same product in a different packaging.

If you owned a factory and one potential new customer wanted a discount to increase your orders by a massive percentage you'd do business with them too.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Tesco have a sub-sub-sub-sub prime own brand weetabix. It has a factory address on the packet. Which is Weetabix Ltd's factory.

You'll notice identical packaging on some things like bottled fruit juices in Ireland; all coming from Mulrines in Ballybofey whether branded fancy or entry level.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,112 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Not the best example, but a recent Tesco comparison promo

L1011 wrote: »
    Tesco have a sub-sub-sub-sub prime own brand weetabix. It has a factory address on the packet. Which is Weetabix Ltd's factory.

You'll notice identical packaging on some things like bottled fruit juices in Ireland; all coming from Mulrines in Ballybofey whether branded fancy or entry level.

May well be the same factory, but may well be different receipes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

In the ads I've seen, the Tesco trolley is full of branded goods and the Aldi one is own brand stuff.

It's not a direct comparison and I'm surprised they're allowed to continue.

• Administrators Posts: 53,570 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

When last were you in a Lidl or Aldi?

They both stock a variety of major brands.

I shop in Aldi and Lidl every single week.

They sell some major brands (e.g. Heinz Ketchup, Barry's tea), but the overwhelming majority of the products are not the main brands you find in other supermarkets. As I said, it would be impossible to do the exact same shop in Aldi that you do in Tesco, you would have to substitute almost everything for own-brand equivalents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

Wheety wrote: »
    In the ads I've seen, the Tesco trolley is full of branded goods and the Aldi one is own brand stuff.

Been a while since I saw the ads but Tesco used to do a own brand vs Aldi/Lidl showing themselves marginally cheaper. That's not a good direct comparison either as the tesco own brand stuff is absolutely brutal compared to Aldi similar priced items.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Just one example but a few years ago a big batch of Hula Hoops were sent out to Aldi shops bagged up as the Aldi mutipack brand. They are the exact same product i.e. big bag was Aldi, the actual smaller packets inside were KP Hoola Hoops

awec wrote: »
    I shop in Aldi and Lidl every single week.

They sell some major brands (e.g. Heinz Ketchup, Barry's tea), but the overwhelming majority of the products are not the main brands you find in other supermarkets. As I said, it would be impossible to do the exact same shop in Aldi that you do in Tesco, you would have to substitute almost everything for own-brand equivalents.

They sell an awful lot more than Heinz Ketchup and Barry's Tea, they sell a rake of established alcohol brands as well as Brennan's bread, Tassimo and Nescafe coffee, loads of sweets, crisps, ice creams. soups, loads of big brand chocolates, peanuts, soft drinks etc, etc.

theteal wrote: »
    Just one example but a few years ago a big batch of Hula Hoops were sent out to Aldi shops bagged up as the Aldi mutipack brand. They are the exact same product i.e. big bag was Aldi, the actual smaller packets inside were KP Hoola Hoops

Same with Okey Dokey's and Hunky Dory's same product made on same production lines.

Wheety wrote: »

https://abancommercials.com/uk-ad/17422/aldi-living-life-reilly-advert

The Ad im talking about shows no products at all, just states that a family of four managed to save €120 per week .

Unless you were very wasteful i cant see how you save that type of money on a weeks grocery shopping for 2 adults and two young children

• Registered Users Posts: 26,325 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ah here.

You must be the only person who thinks this.

Who doesn't know also and Lidl deal almost entirely with their own brands?

Did you miss the side by side basket comparisons in these ads?

To be clear, their cola fair.enough, their veg, meat, rice, pasta, sauces, oj, milk, etc etc easily same quality.

noodler wrote: »
    Ah here.

You must be the only person who thinks this.

Who doesn't know also and Lidl deal almost entirely with their own brands?

Did you miss the side by side basket comparisons in these ads?

To be clear, their cola fair.enough, their veg, meat, rice, pasta, sauces, oj, milk, etc etc easily same quality.

Meat wouldn’t be close to likes of Super Valu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,325 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Meat wouldn’t be close to likes of Super Valu.

Absolute nonsense.

It's all excellent.

Advertisement