Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messy farm inheritance issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Treppen

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I think if I started with zero and bought a farm I would have a different perspective than inheriting a farm from my parents. When inheriting I believe there is alot of unspoken rules you should try to keep. Why has your pare ts given it to u instead of spending it, their hoping it will be kept safe and passed along the generations as best as can

keep it safe and pass it along for generations... by burdening 1 daughter with debt for another 20 years, after working the farm already for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I think if I started with zero and bought a farm I would have a different perspective than inheriting a farm from my parents. When inheriting I believe there is alot of unspoken rules you should try to keep. Why has your pare ts given it to u instead of spending it, their hoping it will be kept safe and passed along the generations as best as can

The difference between Ireland and New Zealand summed up perfectly there.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Maybe the NZ farmers of European heritage will have to pay reparation to the Maori tribes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Water John wrote: »
    Maybe the NZ farmers of European heritage will have to pay reparation to the Maori tribes?

I think the Waitangi treaty has that covered i think that sorted out reparations and gave a share of land to them after that i dont know much about it whether its right or wrong.
    Would there be a case for Irish farmers who descended from the plantations and Saxon times to give reparations to Irish people from Celtic descent then?
    Wed probably lose the place here then so over something that happened hundreds of years ago.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/1026/1173965-cork-shooting/

Without going into detail, the above terrible story is supposedly broadly related to the topic of this thread. Awfully sad altogether.

Alot to be said for proper open communication between generations within families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Without going into detail, the above terrible story is supposedly broadly related to the topic of this thread. Awfully sad altogether.

Alot to be said for proper open communication between generations within families.

God bless them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

What the hell did you post that for? "broadly related" because it was a shooting on a farm, you felt the need to bump this months old thread for this? That is so inappropriate... jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

What the hell did you post that for? "broadly related" because it was a shooting on a farm, you felt the need to bump this months old thread for this? That is so inappropriate... jesus.

Settle down sunshine...
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/three-relatives-dead-after-apparent-murder-suicide-in-kanturk-co-cork-1.4391568?mode=amp

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note; I'm going to leave this thread run, it shows what can happen when communications break down. I think tragedies like these happen all too often in Ireland. I'd also like to extend my sympathy to the family involved, R.I.P.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

So sad to read this. RIP to all those involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

That’s very sad, you’d have to think there were underlying mental health issues

It does show the importance of succession planning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,085 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Green&Red wrote: »
    That’s very sad, you’d have to think there were underlying mental health issues

It does show the importance of succession planning

There has to be mental health issues. terrible for the mother. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

wrangler wrote: »
    There has to be mental health issues. terrible for the mother. RIP

Not necessarily. The Field syndrome is still with us to this day.

RIP to all, and sympathy to the wife/mother who must be absolutely traumatised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭older by the day

God help them. These lockdowns are doing desperate damage, where there are problems all ready. Sport and going out helps to ease the mind and helps us not to over think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

God help them. These lockdowns are doing desperate damage, where there are problems all ready. Sport and going out helps to ease the mind and helps us not to over think

Terrible situation, god help the poor mother...

Not sure much should be said, or speculated upon but I don’t know if implying the lockdown was the cause is right either...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭older by the day

Terrible situation, god help the poor mother...

Not sure much should be said, or speculated upon but I don’t know if implying the lockdown was the cause is right either...

I wasn't saying that it an effect in this case, I don't know. It's no help to people when your stuck at home all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭White Clover

Nothing to do with lockdown of any type.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

This tragedy shouldn't be discussed in this thread. It's an insult to the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zf0wqv9oemuasj

This tragedy shouldn't be discussed in this thread. It's an insult to the family.

I think raising awareness of these issues and the importance of proper succession planning, openness among families etc is important. Hiding it away it’s isn’t going to do that. I don’t see how it’s an insult, everyone is being respectful and everyone can see what a tragedy this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

I think raising awareness of these issues and the importance of proper succession planning, openness among families etc is important. Hiding it away it’s isn’t going to do that. I don’t see how it’s an insult, everyone is being respectful and everyone can see what a tragedy this is.
    They have family members. They dont need to be a topic to drive conversation. Anyhow I'm out....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

How will that poor woman face tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

The handbrake needs to be pulled here. There could be neighbours or cousins here. Hope the remainder of the family get through the coming days and weeks.

The handbrake needs to be pulled here. There could be neighbours or cousins here. Hope the remainder of the family get through the coming days and weeks.

By that reckoning, nothing that happens in Ireland should be discussed on boards in case there are family ties to the event in question. That's a ridiculous stance to take. Practically everybody I know from rural Ireland has had (or known someone who has had) a falling out over wills and inheritance issues. A number of whatsapp groups I'm in were choc full of folks trading war stories about sisters not talking to each other over jewellery, brothers splitting up the family farm etc.......

Like many things in Ireland, there is a bit of a taboo surrounding this. Ignoring the matter won't make it go away. Perhaps if there is one good thing to come from this tragedy, it's that people will be more open to discuss things and we won't have a repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

OP - Sounds like the parents are being somewhat unfair. The daughter has made the effort & the boys have not.
    But money/land can divide any family. Its something they need to talk about now, leaving will just create problems in the future.
    (Fair deal may even come into play & take some of the control from all involved - The status quo won't always stay the same)

Brothers will want something down the line, either an agreed lump sum of cash / a site or combination of both.

Expecting all to be left to the daughter is also unfair so they need to find an agreed balance.
    Is it possible to split the farm in anyway (Some form of division)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Sounds like the parents are being somewhat unfair. The daughter has made the effort & the boys have not.
    But money/land can divide any family.

With all due respect, that's a load of speculative bollocks. There are maybe 5 or 6 people who know what went on (what really went on, I mean there's no even confirmation it had anything to do with land) and unfortunately three of them have now perished. Calling the parents 'unfair' when you've no idea of the background and history is ridiculous, IMO.

Edit: I'm an idiot, ignore this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zf0wqv9oemuasj

With all due respect, that's a load of speculative bollocks. There are maybe 5 or 6 people who know what went on (what really went on, I mean there's no even confirmation it had anything to do with land) and unfortunately three of them have now perished. Calling the parents 'unfair' when you've no idea of the background and history is ridiculous, IMO.

I’ve only recently read the thread so it’s fresh in my mind and it looks like the poster is referring to the topic of the thread rather than the tragedy yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Is he not talking about the original post?

I’ve only recently read the thread so it’s fresh in my mind and it looks like the poster is referring to the topic of the thread rather than the tragedy yesterday.
    Is he not talking about the original post?

:o It appears so, my apologies Bronson, it is me who is talking bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Jb1989

:o It appears so, my apologies Bronson, it is me who is talking bollocks.

Not your fault, a new topic has been put in an original thread, hard to know if should he left here or not.

People saying rip and other bits to the Cork incident , have nothing to do with the original post that this thread was intended for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

There's a major and highly-moderated thread about that incident in Current Events, that's where it belongs.

You don't just start talking like that about a completely different situation, that's what's "ridiculous" here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement