Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Google 'Sheephill Avenue, Corduff' with the terms
    • gangland,
    • arson,
    • drug dealing,
    • gun attack,
    • Gardai attacked,
    • Doctor's surgery ransacked,
    • pedophile scout leader,
    • rape threat to Garda's wife,
    • petrol bomb,
    • knife attack,
    • houses shot at,
    • 20 Gardai needed to quell a riot,
    • gun battle,
    • mob feud..........

And thats probably just touching the tip of the iceberg.......

They like to drop the 'Corduff' part of the postal address..........

You could save on a TV subscription and just look out your window for entertainment though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Discussion is making an argument one way or the other.
    Describing people as peddling when making an argument is essentially surrendering to their argument when you don't have a legitimate response.

The housing market in this country has basically become a pyramid scheme over the last couple of decades. It requires more and more new entrants supporting an argument that stuff costs a particular amount and therefore can't fall below a particular amount.

Who says land should cost A
    Who says developers should make B
    Who says construction workers should make C
    Who says estate agents should make D
    Who says banks should make E

Actually they do because they have loaned to B to pay A, C and D.
    Credit is the enemy of society, what would things actually cost without it?

The ST business section ran a complete sop to Cartrawler.com last Sunday despite having laid bare it's financial position over the previous two weeks, including the fact that Bank of Ireland was writing down millions on an outstanding loan.

The Governor of BOI is unbelievably also the chairman of said company!
    People seriously need to cop on.

If someone is talking through their h*le there isn’t much debate to be had.

So tell me how society would operate without credit? Also are you suggesting there governor of banks of Ireland acted illegally in relation to cartrawler? That sounds like a fairly serious accusation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Jizique

Hubertj wrote: »

So tell me how society would operate without credit? Also are you suggesting there governor of banks of Ireland acted illegally in relation to cartrawler? That sounds like a fairly serious accusation.

Not sure there is any allegation; Car Trawler equity owners who bought the company for €450m a couple of years ago got wiped out while the lenders, including BOI took a write down on their debt.
    The CEO of Car Trawler is a chap who previously worked with the chairman of the company (who also happens to be governor of the BOi) at Paddy Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭combat14

Looks like the real pain for the economy is only on way, time to batten down the hatches, not spend a penny and wait for house prices to drop, drop and drop

Coronavirus: New government faces financial hole of €11bn-€15bn

Neasa Hourigan, the Green Party’s finance spokeswoman, suggested debt reduction could mean austerity and cuts. The three will meet again today.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/coronavirus-new-government-faces-financial-hole-of-11bn-1.4263320?mode=amp

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

and from the Indo
    'Severe austerity won't be needed' - State is urged to spend big during recovery

The Government will need to spend billions of euro over several years to support the economy but there is no need for a return to austerity, according to the State's budget watchdog.

In its latest budget assessment, the Irish Fiscal Advisory Council (IFAC) says that even though the public finances will be stretched by Covid-19 spending, there is no need for a return to the "severe austerity" of the post-crash era.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/severe-austerity-wont-be-needed-state-is-urged-to-spend-big-during-recovery-39237076.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You could save on a TV subscription and just look out your window for entertainment though

Wouldn't go near the windows. I'd perfect my army crawl across the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Only 65k :)
    Mic 1972 wrote: »
    You can fix the house but not the location ;-) it's one of the creepiest estates I've seen!

That's a bargain, sure remember this one from last week? It's not far from that 500k palace

https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-4-westway-rise-blanchardstown-co-dublin/2275762

combat14 wrote: »
    Looks like the real pain for the economy is only on way, time to batten down the hatches, not spend a penny and wait for house prices to drop, drop and drop

Neasa Hourigan, the Green Party’s finance spokeswoman, suggested debt reduction could mean austerity and cuts. The three will meet again today.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/coronavirus-new-government-faces-financial-hole-of-11bn-1.4263320?mode=amp

I think you are intentionally misrepresenting the article. Or you don't understand it. Clearly, taxes will have to increase in places and decisions on what and where to spend will be made. Only a fool, or a trade union, would think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Green Party, cuts, austerity.
    Why am I not surprised.
    Green party equals tax as far as I am concerned, whatever the excuse for them.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Green Party, cuts, austerity.
    Why am I not surprised.
    Green party equals tax as far as I am concerned, whatever the excuse for them.

i think a broadening of the tax base is necessary. I thought the same pre-Covid.

I wouldn't say cuts, i would say decisions on what to spend on. Those decisions would happen anyway. There was never an unending supply of money.

• Advertisement

i think a broadening of the tax base is necessary. I thought the same pre-Covid.

I wouldn't say cuts, i would say decisions on what to spend on. Those decisions would happen anyway. There was never an unending supply of money.

Sure, broaden the tax base. Properly though.
    Certain people are paying most of the tax. Certain people are paying fcuk all.
    Certain people are sucking up far more than their fair share of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭Villa05

JimmyVik wrote:
    Sure, broaden the tax base. Properly though. Certain people are paying most of the tax. Certain people are paying fcuk all. Certain people are sucking up far more than their fair share of it.

Can you expand your point please. Who do you put in each category?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Villa05 wrote: »

I think we need to start taking the foot of the neck of people working and paying income tax the threshold you pay tax at should come in at a much higher rate and then by all means bring in other forms of taxation. the same people cant be expected to do the heavy lifting all the time

Villa05 wrote: »
    People who earn less than me and people who earn more than me.

Definitely not people who earn the same as me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭19233974

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Sure, broaden the tax base. Properly though.
    Certain people are paying most of the tax. Certain people are paying fcuk all.
    Certain people are sucking up far more than their fair share of it.

Im not sure how much of a broadening we will get with a FF/FG government. More of the same i suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭combat14

I think you are intentionally misrepresenting the article. Or you don't understand it. Clearly, taxes will have to increase in places and decisions on what and where to spend will be made. Only a fool, or a trade union, would think otherwise.

So what's going to happen to the economy and the housing market when these 11-15 billion (30 billion extra debt mentioned in some places the last few weeks) of extra taxes and spending cuts that you mention kick in ...

And no I'm not a trade unionist!! I just dont want to over pay for houses that are over valued when the economy is hitting the rocks ...

So what's going to happen to the economy and the housing market when these 11-15 billion (30 billion extra debt mentioned in some places the last few weeks) of extra taxes and spending cuts that you mention kick in ...

And no I'm not a trade unionist!! I just dont want to over pay for houses that are over valued when the economy is hitting the rocks ...

I can only speak for myself.

The more tax I have to pay the less I will be spending on buying houses or going to restaurants even.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The market has noted your concerns and aspirations and has thoughtfully provided a bargain, just as you wished: https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/71-sheephill-avenue-blanchardstown-co-dublin/4429836

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

cnocbui wrote: »
    The market has noted your concerns and aspirations and has thoughtfully provided a bargain, just as you wished: https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/71-sheephill-avenue-blanchardstown-co-dublin/4429836

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-appeal-for-witnesses-after-fire-damages-house-in-blanchardstown-922119.html

Gardai looking for four men who fled the scene on foot. Lovely.

Edit: that was a different incident nearby last year!

This was the fire related to the house in the ad https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/watch-dublin-fire-brigade-scene-18079992

cnocbui wrote: »

The sickening thing is that in 20 years that place will be worth 10 or 20 times what it's worth now.

• Advertisement

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    The sickening thing is that in 20 years that place will be worth 10 or 20 times what it's worth now.

Do you really believe that? Not being smart, I'm being serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Do you really believe that? Not being smart, I'm being serious!

If that ever went for a million plus then money would officially be meaningless

Not unless the climate improves considerably, for the better. The equivalent in Sydney or some other major city a good portion of the world wanted to live in, sure, but fortunately for those who want affordable housing in Dublin, it's not in that league.

Markitron wrote: »
    If that ever went for a million plus then money would officially be meaningless

That's what I mean! It'll never ever happen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Don't bet on it.
    Its like O'Malley Park in Limerick, and then some.

Some places gentrify, other places are just where they dump those in society that they'd rather not have to think of, ever again, and the only time they ever are thought of- is when things eventually boil over- as happens here........

In 20 years time its as likely that the place will have been flattened and turned into an amenity park- while they go and practice their social experiments somewhere else- as anything else.

The whole area has been terror inducing for most of the last 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

not a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Markitron wrote: »
    That's a bargain, sure remember this one from last week? It's not far from that 500k palace

https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-4-westway-rise-blanchardstown-co-dublin/2275762

that 500K pace is hugely overpriced, you can buy a 3 beds in Killiney for that price
    the 65K house is located inside a closed estate, google drive didnt even attempt at driving inside LOL, you can tell how dodgy the hole place is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭standardg60

Would you care to engage in the actual debate? I see you're only a member since April which would make me question your agenda? Are you involved in the market at all?

Anyway there's worse, the state guaranteed HBFI is now doubling it's maximum loan amount to €75m to developers to continue the pretence.
    The banks have gotten (wisely) wary now when it comes to predicting the future now so are reluctant to throw money into the pyramid. Maybe they know something?

Would you care to engage in the actual debate? I see you're only a member since April which would make me question your agenda? Are you involved in the market at all?

Anyway there's worse, the state guaranteed HBFI is now doubling it's maximum loan amount to €75m to developers to continue the pretence.
    The banks have gotten (wisely) wary now when it comes to predicting the future now so are reluctant to throw money into the pyramid. Maybe they know something?

Not involved in the market but thought I might learn something about it on boards. Definitely the wrong place for that. Place is full of liars, spoofers, doom merchants and the odd person with an interesting insight or opinion.
    I don’t know what HBFI is. So back to my question on how society would operate without credit?

• Advertisement

Not involved in the market but thought I might learn something about it on boards. Definitely the wrong place for that. Place is full of liars, spoofers, doom merchants and the odd person with an interesting insight or opinion.
    I don’t know what HBFI is. So back to my question on how society would operate without credit?

I have owned five properties, currently have two, just for reference... ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement