Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Harpon wrote: »
    When I said bailout, I’m talking about the likes of corona bonds which is being talked about

And since they are no longer a member, they would have no obligation, do you even realize that they have no place at the table in such discussions.

Stick to facts, not fiction it’s usually cheaper in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

Jim2007 wrote: »
    And since they are no longer a member, they would have no obligation, do you even realize that they have no place at the table in such discussions.

Stick to facts, not fiction it’s usually cheaper in the long run.

All the normal eu rules still apply during the transition period, so until they actually leave they still have all the same obligations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

NIO up 16% pre-market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Wombatman wrote: »
    NIO up 16% pre-market.

Of course they are. I sold yesterday.

I should post any trades I ever do, people can do the exact opposite, guaranteed to make a mint.

weemcd wrote: »

I should post any trades I ever do, people can do the exact opposite, guaranteed to make a mint.

I know that feeling.

• Advertisement

Maxx are you still watching Airbus .... down to €50 today ... but the news coming out from them is NOT good

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0427/1134991-bleak-outlook-from-airbus/ :eek:

Nice fightback over the last couple of days. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

retalivity wrote: »
    Anything airline related still has some way to drop imo. I'm waiting and watching...

why has southwestern failed to join the airlines rally i wonder ?

is it simply down to the fact it fell a lot less than the others ?

earnings yesterday were a horror but not like the others will be any better

Ryanair was lower 6 months ago on brexit fears. A hard brexit is now more likely than ever as Britain won’t want to be bailing out other EU nations like Italy, so it’s the perfect excuse for Boris to take them out at the end of the year whether there is an agreement or not. Given that and the fact Ryanair won’t have any money coming in for the next 4 months they should be way lower.

was referring to the low ryanair put in a month ago which was just above eight euro , they didnt go as low as that last summer

the strong stand a good chance of emerging stronger once this crisis is past , if the herd is thinned , ryanair will fill the gap , ryanair are the strongest airline in europe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Google up 7% this morning, the street liked the results call yesterday, seems they're not just and advertising house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

What will Tsla do later after the bell? Will probably nose past 800 today and I'm inclined to sell.
    News can't be good but if it's less bad than expected then it could shoot up.
    Could also be in the 400's within a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Looks like Oil is bouncing back a little

[url] https://apple.news/AUwBLPV4nR_iQ3p4l7LeUOw[/url]

Bob Harris wrote: »
    What will Tsla do later after the bell? Will probably nose past 800 today and I'm inclined to sell.
    News can't be good but if it's less bad than expected then it could shoot up.
    Could also be in the 400's within a week.

ive never owned tesla and have no plans to but if i did , id be holding today , reckon it rises tomorrow

dont take my advice though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    ive never owned tesla and have no plans to but if i did , id be holding today , reckon it rises tomorrow

dont take my advice though

If it goes up today a silly amount I'm cashing in, I think it's building itself up for a fall.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    was referring to the low ryanair put in a month ago which was just above eight euro , they didnt go as low as that last summer

the strong stand a good chance of emerging stronger once this crisis is past , if the herd is thinned , ryanair will fill the gap , ryanair are the strongest airline in europe

Trouble is airlines are all receiving state aid/bailouts, so there’s not going to be many if any going out of business. Add to that Ryanair’s balance sheet will have significantly worsened, and those in the industry are talking about a 3 year recovery in demand. Business travel will likely never be the same again, with companies realising they don’t need to spend 5k sending an employee abroad for a meeting when a zoom/Skype call is perfectly acceptable. Pressure on airlines regarding emissions isn’t going to go away either.

Trouble is airlines are all receiving state aid/bailouts, so there’s not going to be many if any going out of business. Add to that Ryanair’s balance sheet will have significantly worsened, and those in the industry are talking about a 3 year recovery in demand. Business travel will likely never be the same again, with companies realising they don’t need to spend 5k sending an employee abroad for a meeting when a zoom/Skype call is perfectly acceptable. Pressure on airlines regarding emissions isn’t going to go away either.

I agree, a lot of industries will look the same in Jan 2021 as it did in Jan 2020. Airlines is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Today feels like a day to take profits or cut losses. Hard to see this rally being sustained but who knows who's on the long side of these trades!

S&P500 now approx 13% off pre Covid peak and we're staring down the barrell of a seismic downturn? All seems very frothy!

Wombatman wrote: »
    Nice fightback over the last couple of days. Fingers crossed.

I said airbus and Boeing would probably rally post earnings results

Well had initially thought I would hold my Exxon long term for the dividends but I had trouble not taking the 16% rise I made since purchasing a couple weeks ago. So sold today and hope that there will be another hiccup in the recovery over the next few weeks and I may be able to buy back at around 40 again. (not "hoping" obviously - I'd be a terrible person - but anticipating is probably a better word - but I'm just not that sure so anticipating sounds like the wrong word also)

Also took my GameStop profit of 15% today and hoping for a similar outcome with those too.

Well had initially thought I would hold my Exxon long term for the dividends but I had trouble not taking the 16% rise I made since purchasing a couple weeks ago. So sold today and hope that there will be another hiccup in the recovery over the next few weeks and I may be able to buy back at around 40 again. (not "hoping" obviously - I'd be a terrible person - but anticipating is probably a better word - but I'm just not that sure so anticipating sounds like the wrong word also)

Also took my GameStop profit of 15% today and hoping for a similar outcome with those too.

Good decision imho. Exxon have the highest break even point of all the oil majors, somewhere around 80 dollars a barrel. Since 2010 they haven’t been able to pay dividends from their operating cash flows, the only way they have managed to pay them is by selling assets and raising debt. Completely unsustainable as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

So it seems airlines are getting help... LINK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

Browney7 wrote: »
    Today feels like a day to take profits or cut losses. Hard to see this rally being sustained but who knows who's on the long side of these trades!

S&P500 now approx 13% off pre Covid peak and we're staring down the barrell of a seismic downturn? All seems very frothy!

seismic downturns are bullish
    bankruptcy is bullish
    fed to the rescue
    stonks only go up

Good decision imho. Exxon have the highest break even point of all the oil majors, somewhere around 80 dollars a barrel. Since 2010 they haven’t been able to pay dividends from their operating cash flows, the only way they have managed to pay them is by selling assets and raising debt. Completely unsustainable as things stand.

Thanks for your feedback/opinion. I actually got some IBM yesterday and may look at increasing that number (over rebuying Exxon) I understand its also a good dividend stock and probably less turbulent than Exxon may be, well potentially anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

weemcd wrote: »

Tell me about it, sold both American Airline and Delta last nite ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Such a tough decision to not sell my stocks today. Up about 10pc on entire portfolio. Hard to imagine it not dropping back.
    Fed pumping money. Optimism about restrictions relaxing. Trend will be strong I think.

Now whether that's going to be the peak of the bull trap..
    There is a huge problem awaiting when we relax rules.. huge unemployment..huge costs..
    Very tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

manonboard wrote: »
    Such a tough decision to not sell my stocks today. Up about 10pc on entire portfolio. Hard to imagine it not dropping back.
    Fed pumping money. Optimism about restrictions relaxing. Trend will be strong I think.

Now whether that's going to be the peak of the bull trap..
    There is a huge problem awaiting when we relax rules.. huge unemployment..huge costs..
    Very tough.
    Same, up 30% since the dip last month.
    Might just sell the profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

With the news on Remdesivir today I would have thought Gilead would have gone through the roof. Apparently FDA approval is close.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I sold a few more today from a number to bank some bumps...Airbus, Tripadvisor, Occidental Petrol.

Portfolio is now 35% cash....waiting....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Ryanair up a fair bit over the last week, was hoping to get in but delayed moving the cash across to my trading account.
    They’ve a fair amount of turbulence on the horizon if BA’s announcement yesterday is anything to go by.

Really hope the Tesla short lad was just an idea.

Up to $880 in after-hours

• Advertisement

AmberGold wrote: »
    With the news on Remdesivir today I would have thought Gilead would have gone through the roof. Apparently FDA approval is close.
    Gilead have basically said they'll give this away at cost if it works, they're not going to get rich immediately/directly from coming up with a cure.

Advertisement