Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

I've seen Luckin Coffee (LK) tipped a few places, seeing today they're down over 80% after being caught reporting $300m of fraudulent sales. Lucky escape as I was doing some reading on the them but hadn't decided whether to buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Fúck, you're right. Don't know why I got the impression that the 10m figure included all unemployed and not just new cases in the past 2 weeks.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193280/seasonally-adjusted-monthly-number-of-unemployed-persons-in-the-usa/

Not sure how accurate that data is but it says that in February 2020, 5.79m were unemployed there. So, it has tripled in the space of 2 weeks. That is a scary statistic.
    Must be terrifying to be low-income over there now, a real chance of being homeless/having their lives completely destroyed by this for so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

Oil up bigly today. Could have a runner in ROSE as a quick trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

But of value a little earlier perhaps with Zoom at 114, seems to have recovered somewhat now though but maybe it’ll dip down again before the day is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Interesting graph from reddit comparing 2008 to 2020
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/ftkwz3/this_time_is_different/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Shedite27 wrote: »

This one is a good one

let me paste the chart here:
    lKPkzXQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Carnival Corp down to nearly $8, worth jumping in or more to drop??

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

... Bit of a random question for Degiro and ETFS Brent... I had the ETFS Brent oil securities in my watchlist . I've noticed another 2, ETFS Brent, and ETFS Brent Crude...
    ...Could some please explain the differences between the 3 of them?... I noticed the one I had earmarked up 7%, other 2 up 13% and 20%, so massive variations...

ONCS have posted a document on their site talking about a coronavirus vaccine but have not released a PR yet.

https://oncosec.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/CORVax12-QA_1Apr2020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

What do people think of Glambia,are they worth a punt or will they go lower..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Skelet0n wrote: »
    ONCS have posted a document on their site talking about a coronavirus vaccine but have not released a PR yet.

https://oncosec.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/CORVax12-QA_1Apr2020.pdf

Now taken down?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

TRS30 wrote: »

I have been looking at it for some time and almost pulled the trigger when the UK share drop to 580 GBX earlier today, but I blinked.

They don't seem to qualify for US government help programs as they are not registered in the US, and they had to resort to private borrowing at 12% interest rate. That makes me a little nervous, even though I kind of think at this price it is a bargain assuming the company will survive.

manonboard wrote: »
    Now taken down?

Apparently so. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,044 ✭✭✭✭neris

I've seen Luckin Coffee (LK) tipped a few places, seeing today they're down over 80% after being caught reporting $300m of fraudulent sales. Lucky escape as I was doing some reading on the them but hadn't decided whether to buy!

they were being heavily hyped over the xmas & new year period by one of the guys on cnbc but they had a heavy fall

• Registered Users Posts: 20,044 ✭✭✭✭neris

... Bit of a random question for Degiro and ETFS Brent... I had the ETFS Brent oil securities in my watchlist . I've noticed another 2, ETFS Brent, and ETFS Brent Crude...
    ...Could some please explain the differences between the 3 of them?... I noticed the one I had earmarked up 7%, other 2 up 13% and 20%, so massive variations...

different ETF providers and maybe different levels of leverage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

If you're holding long term and willing to risk lose the money then it's probably a gamble worth taking. I'd say it's 50/50 that in 2 years time you'll either be:
    1. Bankrupt, so down 100%.
    2. Back in business and shares back at $40 so you're up 500%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Bob24 wrote: »
    I have been looking at it for some time and almost pulled the trigger when the UK share drop to 580 GBX earlier today, but I blinked.

They don't seem to qualify for US government help programs as they are not registered in the US, and they had to resort to private borrowing at 12% interest rate. That makes me a little nervous, even though I kind of think at this price it is a bargain assuming the company will survive.

Would you consider them on the LSE rather than the NYSE?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Would you consider them on the LSE rather than the NYSE?

Yes. As I understand technically the US and UK companies are different legal entities, but effectively they are run as one entity and there is a share swap mechanism to ensure the of share prices are kept in sync (similar to Unilever or Shell which have both British and Dutch companies and thus U.K. and Dutch shares).

My reason for looking at the U.K. shares is that I believe it works out better in terms of withholding tax on dividends. I know dividends are likely to be cancelled at least this year, but since if I am buying it is for the long haul and historically the company seems to pay decent dividend, I’d rather be better positioned from a tax perspective if/when the company gets better.

That is my reasoning anyway based on what I know. Is there any advantage of buying the American shares I might not know of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

voluntary wrote: »
    This one is a good one

lKPkzXQ.jpg

I'd take anything that comes from that subreddit with a heavy pinch of salt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Going long JD again here. Short term position although willing to turn to investment if necessary. Hope to long JD/BABA depending on which dips. And close out other in profit. Great faith in these companies long term but willing to semi-scalp as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

butrasgali wrote: »
    What do people think of Glambia,are they worth a punt or will they go lower..

it will retest 8

They have an awful CEO, how she hasn't gotten the boot is a mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Tesla soaring in after hours, up nearly 20%...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

...Tesla soaring in after hours, up nearly 20%...

Deliveries beat analyst expectations. Their best 1st qtr yet though down on the q4 last year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Deliveries beat analyst expectations. Their best 1st qtr yet though down on the q4 last year.

I always find it amusing that people don’t reach the obvious conclusion - that analysts are just not particularly good!

An analyst makes a prediction and the company fails to meet the expectations so the stock gets punished rather than the analyst for making a bad call... And of course when a company exceeds expectations the once again bad call gets ignored...

The reality is that most analysts have a very poor track record in calling the shots and if they were commenting on the horses or the dogs the punters would have ignored them long ago!

This should not be surprising since most analysts have very little practical business experience, rarely leave the office for the factory floor and the entire exercise consists of reading the reports, listening to the investors call, punching the numbers into a model they often don’t understand and reaching a consensus among their colleagues, who are no more knowledgeable than themselves!

If an analyst follows more than five or six companies, then they simply have not got sufficient time to do the work necessary to make a meaningful contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Right or wrong Jim the sp responds to how a company does in regard to the analysts predictions. Unless you beat with some decent guidance youre going down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

I've spoken to some equity analysts and they know the companies inside out, some even get headhunted by the companies they cover because they know so much about them

Obviously these are an exception

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭bilbot79

voluntary wrote: »
    This one is a good one

lKPkzXQ.jpg

Well now that we know..were gonna be rich!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Easyjet looking very attractive now, I understand there's a bit of powerplay going on between board and founder.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I've spoken to some equity analysts and they know the companies inside out, some even get headhunted by the companies they cover because they know so much about them

Obviously these are an exception

I have worked on a day to day basis with analysts at major European asset managers for over 30 years.... And good analysts a very few and far between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Did you guys notice how sentiments and narrative has changed in the last two days? That's how this thing works, from optimism to pessimism, from depression to mania. Trump could say, a beautiful example of a bipolar disorder.

Advertisement